members

online now

discussions

Frequent disconnections at random in Sandy, UT for past 2-3 months

Posted by
Visitor
Visitor
Message 1 of 1

I've been having a problem for the past 2-3 months and have had the service for approximately 12 months without issue previous to this occurring.

All (24) downstream channels have power levels between -1 to +1 dBmV with SNR between 37 to 38 dB.

All (3) upstream channels have power levels between 43 to 44 dBmV.

At least 5x per day, usually upwards of 15x per day (of which it is noticed) upstream channel #2 is becoming "Not Locked" and shortly thereafter the modem resynchs and things return back to normal.  Every other channel is still Locked when this happens.

There doesn't seem to be any correlation between upstream/downstream utilization and this problem occurring; some nights we can stream a full netflix show, other times it disconnects repeatedly for 5-10 minutes at a time.

Originally I thought it was just wifi, so we tried removing devices from our home network for 24 hours at a time (to rule each one out as being problematic), have replaced our wifi access points, as well as a lot of other troubleshooting.  My home network is great now, but I probably could've lived without spending an additional $400 on equipment to realize that it wasn't the problem.

Recently I started looking more closely at the modem status page when this happens and discovered this channel dropping at times.

To reiterate -- this problem is recent to the past 2-3 months.  Also, no maintenance has been done in or outside of our house.  I have looked at every connector/splitter and they are all tight, undamaged, not bent.  I have seen comcast trucks in the neighborhood around the time it started (which could be a red herring, as they're probably often out and about given the size of the company).  I still can't help but think they "fixed" something else and broke my connection in the process (inadvertently).

I work from home on occasion, my children attend a virtual academy for school, and also play online games.  Each of these things has been negatively affected due to this issue; to the point that online gaming is just not an option without being disappointed at random when the internet drops for 5-10 minutes.  This is super-frustrating.

I had 2 separate chats with comcast support agents this week, at which time they told me that a "Higher Level Support technician will call you in 24 hours."  Yesterday they actually said "expect a call in 30 minutes".    Nobody has called me yet.  I actually didn't expect comcast to do anything about this outside of call me and ask me to reboot things, but to not even call is lower than the lowest expectation possible!

It would be nice if the CMTS equipment were monitored for this sort of "flapping", and that comcast were proactive in noticing this sort of issue and sent somebody to fix it in order to ensure that customers get the service they pay for.  I should not have to pay for service on top of doing this work for you, when realistically it just takes some automated log monitoring to identify and escalate this sort of issue prior to a complaint of cancellation.  I've done similar things at smaller companies, it boggles the mind that a huge company doesn't already have this in place.

The reason I didn't call it in sooner was because I know the routine; "sir, did you try rebooting?  sir, did you try using the built-in access point? sir, have you looked at the devices on your network?  etc...".  I've had tech support teams of my own in the past and know how this goes, and figured it must be some temporary global network issue as it wasn't like this to begin with and my network is clean.

I am likely moving in 4 months and do not want to spend $50-$150 on a service call wherein the tech may not even fix the problem; I've read similar experiences in this forum.

Has anyone else fixed this on their own?  What was your approach?  Can I get a discount/refund for this semi-service?  I really don't want to pay more for comcast to fix their own problem.