Welcome to Comcast Help & Support Forums
Find solutions, share knowledge, and get answers from customers and experts

New to the Community? Start here.

members

online now

discussions

Comcast physically disconnected my internet line with no warning. My account is paid in full.

Posted by
Frequent Visitor

Message 1 of 7

Someone at Comcast is making an awful lot of mistakes and I'm considering taking legal action. 

I contacted Comcast about a billing issue approximately 4 weeks ago.  At the end of the call with the supervisor, she stated that she would be resetting my account following the change to my billing.  (Prior to moving I negotiated a 1 year deal for only blast Internet.   The order was mysteriously cancelled before I moved home and was never notified despite answering all of the confirmation calls.  When I went to pick up the modem on moving day, my bill was $30 higher per month than previously agreed upon).  After speaking to a supervisor via phone and asking her to correct the error, she stated that my modem may restart because she would be resetting my account.  About 20 minutes later my modem shut down........ and after 8 hours of outsourced runaround I was finally put in touch with an American, level 3 technician who discovered that my modem was not reset, it was reverted back to manufacturer settings.  Four days later a new modem arrived in the mail even though the issue was resolved... or so I thought.  Two days after the new modem arrived I was still using the old modem when it suddenly reverted back to manufacturer settings again.  I unpacked the new modem, connected it, but it would not work.  It needed to be activated.  I called Comcast and 3 hours later, after being transferred all over the world and back to the US again, I was finally surfing again.  That lasted 2 days.  The modem mysteriously reset itself to manufacturer settings again.  I called, a level 3 technician reset the modem and things were fine again.

Today at 1:00 in the afternoon I was disconnected from the Internet.  I waited 30 minutes to see if it would resolve itself and then I realized something about the lights was different.  I called Comcast and again was transferred across the ocean to a lovely young man in the Philippians who transferred me to another lovely young man in the Philippians.. neither of which knew that the issue was not with the modem but with Comcast themselves (I'm getting there). 

I live in a rural town and there is no Comcast office where I live so driving 25 miles to speak to an American representative is burdensome but, going into a holiday weekend where I potentially will be without service for a minimum of 4 days, I decided I'd better make the drive.  I packed up both modems and handed them to the customer service rep in person.  She was in the computer, checked my account, saw no issues, handed me a modem and was happy to send me back on my way.  I asked her to check the modem before I leave.  I again briefly explained to her what happened, the power light was on, the 2nd light was blinking faster than I have ever seen a Comcast modem light blink before, and the 3rd light was off.  She phoned a friend.. an advanced tech agent who told me he wasn't sure what happened but said it sounded like this time it's not the modem but perhaps the line was cut.

60 minutes later the tech that I spoke with on the phone knocked on my door (yep, rural town) and began to investigate.  He said "someone, I don't know who, cut the line".  Someone from Comcast walked onto the property, opened up the lock box on the side of the building and "capped the line".   I was home.  No one knocked on the door.  No one e-mailed me and no one bothered notifying me before, during or after.  Mind you, my bill is up to date.

At what point did Comcast plan on notifying me?  AFTER the Easter weekend when most people gather in front of the screen for some relaxation over a long holiday weekend, with popcorn, binge watching?

The technician told me that there might have been static on my Internet.  I don't have phone or TV through Comcast, only Blast Internet.  He said Comcast will cut the line to one person and inconvenience tone person over thousands of people who may be affected by static in Internet lines.... in my rural town where it is very debatable that there are 1000 people that Comcast serves!  The town is so small that Comcast doesn't even have an office!!

I really just don't trust Comcast anymore.  I've been with Comcast since the early 1990's and every year they charge more and more money for less and less service,  The bill is always an average of $30 to $40 higher than the original quote, everybody has a different set of capabilities and no one communicates, their customer service is atrocious and the way they've treated me is just not acceptable.

I would like this reported to corporate headquarters and I'd like a full explanation of who, what, and why.

6 REPLIES
Posted by
Cable Expert

Message 2 of 7

Just what the tech told you. A maintenance tech traced noise to your line and disabled it. This would also explain why you are having issues with your modem resetting. You need to have a tech come to your home and repair the lines. The tech should have tagged your door letting you know to call for service.

I've asked a Comcast employee to help you. You should expect a reply in this thread in 12-48 hours.

If you don't wish to wait for a reply:

1-800-COMCAST (1-800-266-2278) or 1-800-XFINITY (1-800-934-6489)

Community Icon
I am not a Comcast employee, I am a paying customer just like you!
I am an XFINITY Forum Expert and I am here to help. For information on the program click here.
We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit from the conversation.
Was your question answered? Mark it as an accepted solution!solution Icon
Community Icon
I am not a Comcast employee. I am a paying customer just like you!
I am an XFINITY Forum Expert and I am here to help.
We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit.
Community Icon
I am not a Comcast employee.

Was your question answered?
Mark it as a solution!solution Icon

Posted by
Frequent Visitor

Message 3 of 7

"Should have" are the keywords here.  But he didn't.  He SHOULD HAVE done a lot of things, as should have Comcast.  He did not leave a notice on my door nor did he attempt to contact me.  Comcast also made no attempt to contact me.  What I heard just after my Internet disconnected was a man laugh and say out loud, "well THAT should take care of those pesky outages" and treat me as if it's my fault personally that Comcast doesn't maintain their lines.  It is your responsibility to maintain your lines.  It is your responsibility to provide lines that are properly maintained so that you can continue to provide uninterrupted service to your paying customers.  I am a paying customer.  I give you money, you give me courtesy with a smile and respect.  I pull your strings, you dance.  It's not the other way around.

What kind of business are you running?  How very shady!  Since when is it OK to treat paying customers like this?  The law does not read that Comcast must immediately treat their customers like garbage, not communicate with them, start cutting their services and leave them completely clueless.  The law also reads that there is a time frame for correction, it doesn't say you must immediately act irresponsibly.

And for crying out loud, please tell me WHY Comcast is sending someone out to cap lines which takes no longer than it did to correct the problem?  He had snippers.  He has eyes that can see poorly maintained, rotting lines.  All it took was two snips and two twists of the wrist.  Ironic and irresponsibly enough, Comcast has made no plans to replace THEIR lines.

Posted by
Cable Expert

Message 4 of 7

Kayenet wrote:

Comcast has made no plans to replace THEIR lines.

Comcast dosen't own the lines in your home, you do. 

Community Icon
I am not a Comcast employee, I am a paying customer just like you!
I am an XFINITY Forum Expert and I am here to help. For information on the program click here.
We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit from the conversation.
Community Icon
I am not a Comcast employee. I am a paying customer just like you!
I am an XFINITY Forum Expert and I am here to help.
Community Icon
I am not a Comcast employee.

Posted by
Cable Expert

Message 5 of 7
Posted by
Frequent Visitor

Message 6 of 7

How convenient for Comcast.  We'll have to see about that.

Posted by
Admin1

Message 7 of 7

Hi Kayenet -- I reviewed your account to see what happened. What nerdburg has told you is correct. There was noise, also known as signal leakage, coming from your lines and a filter had to be placed on them to stop this leakage. Please understand that placing this filter on your line is not meant as a measure to inconvenience you. Signal leakage is a serious issue as it can disrupt over-the-air communications for emergency services. For this reason, the Federal Communications Commission (FCC) regulates signal leakage and Comcast is fully committed to complying and addressing any signal leakage issues within the Comcast network. That means that we must stop any leakage from continuing by filtering your line. We would need to setup a time when you're available to come out and correct this problem. I can help with getting this appointment setup for you. I would need to know days/times that work best for you. 

Community Icon
I am an Offical Comcast Employee.
Official Employees are from multiple teams within Comcast: Product, Support, Leadership.

Community Icon
I am an Offical Comcast Employee.
Official Employees are from multiple teams within Comcast.
Community Icon
I am a Comcast Employee.
Please post so people with similar questions may benefit.