Find solutions, share knowledge, and get answers from customers and experts

New to the Community? Start here.

members

online now

discussions

Can't get up to gigabit speed, I have all the required equipments

New Poster

Can't get up to gigabit speed, I have all the required equipments

So I upgraded to the Gigabit internet. I have the 3.1 docsis Netgear modem/router C7800 (the best one from netgear right now AND also listed on the xfinity website as approved equipment). I'm using Cat5e and Cat6 ethernet cable to connect to my laptops. My two gaming laptops also have Gigabit NIC(Network Interface Card). The bootfile was also updated correctly to the C7800.

I believe I have all the requirements to handle gigabit speed.

However, I can only get up to around 500 mbps wired. I know that it's supposed to be in the 950 mbps range. Here's a video of someone with the EXACT modem and EXACT gigabit internet service from comcast.  https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=41cTLHdrv8U  He litterally just plug in the modem and is able to get to 980 mbps speed.

I don't know what seem to be the problem with my laptops. I've already looked at various online forum for advanced configurations such as disable the router firewall, disable the jumbo frame/energy efficient ethernet/green ethernet and setting the "speed and duplex" to autonegotiate and 1gbps. Nothing works. There was a comcast technician that came and he tested the speed with his device and was able to get the gigabit speed on that device. However, he also doesn't know why my laptops aren't able to get up to the gigabit speed, even though all the equipments are gigabit-compatible. 

I've tried to contact comcast over 20 times but nothing helps yet. Most are useless trouble shooting step like turn the modem off, and on again...reset my browser setting to default, clear the cache and cookies(really?).

Is there someone knowledgable about this topic that can help me?

Contributor

Re: Can't get up to gigabit speed, I have all the required equipments

Are you using CAT 6 or CAT 6A Ethernet cables?
New Poster

I'm using cat5e and cat6 yes.

Contributor

hoangvu1412 wrote:

I'm using cat5e and cat6 yes.

the tech who isntalled my service on saturday said use cat 6 cat 6a or even better cat 7 & 7a shelided cables thats why I was asking try cat 7 cables and see if that helps as they are sheilded to reduce noise of your signal? hope that helps

New Poster

May I know if you are getting gigabit speed? if so, what type of laptop/pc are you using? 

Because I don't think there's anything wrong with my modem/cables at all, since the tech used his device to test my cat5e cable and was getting 950+ mbps. However, my computer is unable to get up to that speed. It is a gaming laptop that has a Gigabit NIC.

So I'm realling wondering what type of computer are you using?

Official Employee

Hello @hoangvu1412. Since our technician has visited your home and determined he was able to reach the Gig speeds with another computer on your modem and wiring, this certainly isolates the root cause to your computer system. Unfortunately we official employees are not able to help troubleshoot or isolate the root cause within 3rd party equipment. Just a side thought, have you checked to see if, or do you have antivirus software that can be temporarily disabled for testing? (I've seen people get half the speed due to software, like a 3rd party antivirus program.)

Here is a link for you to review the XFINITY Internet Minimum System Requirements - For Speeds up to 1 Gbps: https://www.xfinity.com/support/articles/requirements-to-run-xfinity-internet-service

Community Icon
I am an Official Comcast Employee.
Official Employees are from multiple teams within Comcast: Product, Support, Leadership.
We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit from the conversation.

Was your question answered? Mark it as an accepted solution!solution Icon
Community Icon
I am an Offical Comcast Employee.
Official Employees are from multiple teams within Comcast.
We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit.
Was your question answered? Mark it as an accepted solution!solution Icon
Community Icon
I am a Comcast Employee.
Please post so people with similar questions may benefit.
Was your question answered?
Mark it as a solution!solution Icon
Discussion stats
  • 5 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 3 in conversation