Find solutions, share knowledge, and get answers from customers and experts

New to the Community? Start here.

members

online now

discussions

Cable TV goes out when cable modem is connected

Posted by
Frequent Visitor
  • You have posted 5 replies to the community. Thank you for keeping the conversations going!
  • Thank you contributor for your first reply to the community!
 Posting replies is the best way to get involved.
  • Congrats on Posting your first topic!

Message 1 of 2

Had Comcast for about 4 years. Cable TV and a cable modem, through Comcast, with my own router.

About 6 months ago our cable modem (comcast's cable modem) would seemingly randomly, once to three times a day, reset. The lights would go off, they'd then come back on and sync up (like a typical power cycle). Couple calls to tech support to "boost signals" and such, no resolution, so this weekend we finally had time to go down to a local Comcast store to swap out the modem.

They gave us a newer model, which has dual band wifi (old one didn't). But I decided to keep using my Asus router. Installed the new cable modem on Saturday, everything went without a hitch, up and running in 5 minutes.

Last night we went to watch TV for the first time since Saturday. Had a "Please wait, your channel should be available shortly" message on every screen, with an error code, something like S0a00. Called tech support, normal stuff about power cycling and reconnecting the coax, no results, "schedule a tech." I chose not to yet to keep troubleshooting. On a hunch, I unplugged my cable modem, and the tv came back on almost immediately. No issues with any channels, crystal clear. Plugged the cable modem back in, all seemed good, until the lights started flashing for the upstream and downstream etc. TV immediately got garbled, and blanked out with the same error code. I tried reproducing it, does the same thing every time.

I should note the installation method - coax from the wall plate into a 2 way splitter, one side goes to the cable modem, other side to the cable box. I didn't have to touch the cable box or the splitter itself, just the coax in the back of the cable modem(s). The cables themselves and the splitter are ones that comcast used when they did the install when we first got it. Not sure what kind of quality they use.

Anyone have any suggestions?

1 REPLY
Posted by
Official Employee

Message 2 of 2

Hi Morpherios,  I am showing in your other thread that a tech was out recently and was able to correct this issue you were experiencing.  If you have any other questions or concerns in the future, please let us know.

Thank you

Community Icon
I am an Official Comcast Employee.
Official Employees are from multiple teams within Comcast: Product, Support, Leadership.
We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit from the conversation.
Was your question answered? Mark it as an accepted solution!solution Icon
Community Icon
I am an Official Comcast Employee.
Official Employees are from multiple teams within Comcast.
We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit.
Was your question answered? Mark it as an accepted solution!solution Icon
Community Icon
I am a Comcast Employee.
Please post so people with similar questions may benefit.
Was your question answered?
Mark it as a solution!solution Icon