Welcome to Comcast Help & Support Forums
Find solutions, share knowledge, and get answers from customers and experts

New to the Community? Start here.

members

online now

discussions

CANNOT GET LOGIN SCREEN.. Adv Online Tech Team powerless!

Posted by
Contributor

Message 1 of 34

Shawn (advanced online tech team) stated it is a comcast server error.  He said there is nothing he can do!  They are working on issue.

--------------------  background details -------------------

Go to.......        

“Manage My Account by XFinity” webpage

https://www.xfinity.com/manage-my-account?CMP=KNC-43700014401414562-GOOGLE-160556191841-c-comcast%20...

click on "Go To My Account" 

and you get........

“Sorry

A communication error has occurred. We have been notified and are looking into the issue.  Please try reloading the page or coming back later.”

Communication error screen disappears as comcast server attempts to provide login page.

Instead of login page you see

“transferring data from login.comcast.net….  (lower left hand corner of screen)

and spinning circle “connecting”                    (upper right hand corner of screen)

33 REPLIES
Posted by
Contributor

Message 2 of 34

UPDATE: It is the 2ND WEEK of not being able to get a login screen to access MY ACCOUNT.... using a PC.

I have never had this login issue in 10+ years as a Comcast customer... until they announced......

"Welcome to the new My Account.  You may notice some things look different around here. Thanks in advance for your feedback as we continue to improve the experience." 

------------------  new info ---------------

Some Comcast CS reps have admitted receiving several calls over the past 2 weeks from Comcast users - all complaining they cannot login to their accounts either!  All callers reporting this login issue are then referred to the "advanced online tech support team." 

I have asked online tech support to raise the priority of this login issue (to a global issue) as it affects so many users.  Instead, I continue to be advised to "clear my recent history, and remove individual cookies" ... while they work on resolving "my login issue."

Posted by
Contributor

Message 3 of 34

UPDATE: It is the 3RD WEEK of not being able to get a login screen to access MY ACCOUNT....using a PC. 

I have never had this login issue in 10+ years as a Comcast customer... until they announced......

"Welcome to the new My Account.  You may notice some things look different around here. Thanks in advance for your feedback as we continue to improve the experience." 

----------------- new info ---------------

Latest attempt to access a login screen.....see details below......

-->> Go to this link...

https://www.xfinity.com/support/internet/sign-in-to-customer-central/

and you wil be directed to the following help page.

Ways to Sign In to My Account - My Account Help

“My Account is available online, via the XFINITY My Account app on mobile devices and on your TV box.”

-->> click on link "available online" above, and you still see.....

“Sorry.  A communication error has occurred. We have been notified and are looking into the issue.  Please try reloading the page or coming back later.”

-->> link for this "communication error" msg is below......

https://login.comcast.net/login?r=comcast.net&s=oauth&continue=https%3A%2F%2Flogin.comcast.net%2Foau...

QUESTIONS:

1. Why is attempt to get login screen showing (in last link above)  a failure to authorize?

2. Is login screen no longer available for desktop online access?  

Is this what is meant by

“My Account is available online, via the XFINITY My Account app on mobile devices and on your TV box.”

Posted by
Contributor

Message 4 of 34

On 4/23/17, Shawn (Tier 1 Tech Support) stated it is a comcast server error.  Issue being escalated to Tier 2 Tech Support.

UPDATE: 5-4-17.  Tier 2 tried trouble shooting issue. Escalated ticket to Tier 3!

--------------------  background  -------------------

Issue apparently only impacts PC access.  Mobile devices can access My Account.   Issue started 4-17-17, the day after Comcast announced a rollout of their new website with the following message:

To duplicate issue, see below......

Go to.......        

“Manage My Account by XFinity” webpage

https://www.xfinity.com/manage-my-account?CMP=KNC-43700014401414562-GOOGLE-160556191841-c-comcast%20...

click on "Go To My Account" 

and you get........

“Sorry

A communication error has occurred. We have been notified and are looking into the issue.  Please try reloading the page or coming back later.”

Communication error screen disappears as comcast server attempts to provide login page.

and spinning circle “connecting”                    (upper right hand corner of screen)

Posted by
Visitor
  • Congratulations on receiving your first Kudos! Thank you for your meaningful contribution to the forum. May this be the first of many kudos.
  • Thank you contributor for your first reply to the community!
 Posting replies is the best way to get involved.

Message 5 of 34

I'm having this same problem and I've found a solution, of sorts.  The issue, at least for me, appears to be related to browser cookies.  So, when I have problems logging in to "My Account", I go into my browser settings and delete all Comcast.net and Xfinity cookies.   Then, I close and run my browser and I'm able to login to "My Account" ok.

I'm running Mozilla Firefox 53 on Ubuntu Linux.

Hope this helps others!  Smiley Happy

GW

Posted by
Contributor

Message 6 of 34

Thanks for your comments.  Glad you are able to login, using your solution.

I am using latest firefox version, and have deleted all cookies .... but this does not help.

This was the first thing Tier 1 tried several weeks ago.

Tier 2 gave up and escalated the issue after they could see I could not complete login using my desktop and two laptops... on several networks (home network, the public library WiFi network and the attWiFi network).  We also tried Firefox, IE, and Google Chrome browswers.  All PCs using Win 7.

Comcast tier 3 tech support admits the problem is their server.

They advise ticket  SI 019880395  documents the "global issue" affecting many Comcast users (where they cannot get a login screen to access their "My Account").

That was clear when the following happens:

1. You see the following message....

“Sorry.  A communication error has occurred. We have been notified and are looking into the issue.  Please try reloading the page or coming back later.”

2. Communication error screen disappears as comcast server attempts to provide login page.

Tier 3 tech support hopes to solve the "global issue" soon, as the problem started 4/17.

I can always login using a mobile device.  Just not on a PC. 

(I cannot print my monthly bills being limited to mobile devices.)

-->>For those Comcast subscribers that do not use mobile devices (eg, many elderly) -- and depend on PC access, they are the most affected group.  They cannot update passwords, etc.

Posted by
Contributor

Message 7 of 34

UPDATE:

For those interested.....

I am using latest firefox version, and have deleted all cookies .... but this does not help.

This was the first thing Tier 1 tried several weeks ago.

Tier 2 gave up and escalated the issue after they could see I could not complete login using my desktop and two laptops... on several networks (home network, the public library WiFi network and the attWiFi network).  We also tried Firefox, IE, and Google Chrome browswers.  All PCs using Win 7.

Comcast tier 3 tech support admits the problem is their server.

They advise ticket  SI 019880395  documents the "global issue" affecting many Comcast users (where they cannot get a login screen to access their "My Account").

Tier 3 tech support hopes to solve the "global issue" soon, as the problem started 4/17.

I can login using my mobile device, using the XFinity app.  Just not on my PCs (desktop or 2 laptops).

(I do not know how to print my monthly bills from my Amazon Fire 8 - my mobile device.)

-->>For those Comcast subscribers that do not use mobile devices (eg, many elderly) -- and depend on PC access, they are the most affected group.  They cannot update passwords, etc.

Posted by
Visitor
  • Congratulations on receiving your first Kudos! Thank you for your meaningful contribution to the forum. May this be the first of many kudos.

Message 8 of 34

Thanks for the reply.  It's interesting we're both using the same version of Firefox (you might be using a newer version, actually since Ubuntu hasn't upgraded Firefox to 53.0.2 yet) and clearing the Comcast and Xfinity cookies doesn't work for you.  One thing I've noticed is, after clearing the cookies, I can login.  If I then logout and attempt to login again, I get the same "transferring data from login.comcast.net….  " status message you get.  So, I manually delete the cookies again and I'm able to login again.

I'm using the 64-bit version of Firefox 53, just to make sure that's on the record.  Not sure if that makes a difference or not.

One thing I would suggest trying is logging in to your account with your brower(s) in "Private Browsing" mode and see if that makes a difference for you, or not.

I don't consider "clearing cookies" to be an actual "solution" of any kind and I think the real problem should be fixed by Comcast.

If anyone else finds clearing cookies works for them, please post your browser and operating system information so it will become part of this thread.

Thanks!

GW

UPDATE:  As a test, I tried using the "Private Window" function of Firefox to open a private browsing window.  I them did the following:

1) Went to comcast.net

2)  Clicked "My Account"

3) Entered my login information

4) Was taken to my account summary page, with the "Welcome to the new My Account look" popup

I tried the above steps twice in a row and got the same behavior each time.

GW

Posted by
Contributor

Message 9 of 34

GrannyWilliams,

Thx for your suggestion!

I tried using the "Private Window" function of Firefox to open a private browsing window, and I was also able to get into "My Account." I tried several earlier Firefox versions as well (those with the "Private Window" function), and this "work-around" works with all of them.

-->> Obviously their 4/17 "enhancements" corrupt their cookies!

I will contact Tier 3 support on Monday, and advise them to focus on your findings.  They need to fix this problem SOON! 

Workaround - Wikipedia

A workaround is a bypass of a recognized problem in a system. A workaround is typically a temporary fix that implies that a genuine solution to the problem is needed.

Posted by
Regular Visitor

Message 10 of 34

I haven't been able to access for 3 days now. I have tried from firefox, explore and chrome

Posted by
Visitor

Message 11 of 34

Great news!  Thanks for the update!  It's weird that the private browsing function worked for you while clearing cookies didn't.  In any event, I agree with you 150% that using the private browsing function is a work-around, not a fix by any means.

Thanks again for the update!  Smiley Happy

GW

Posted by
Visitor

Message 12 of 34
Posted by
Official Employee

Message 13 of 34

Hi Gary505873, I wanted to check in with you to see if you were still experiencing the same issue. If so I would be happy to help.

Community Icon
I am an Official Comcast Employee.
Official Employees are from multiple teams within Comcast: Product, Support, Leadership.
We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit from the conversation.

Was your question answered? Mark it as an accepted solution!solution Icon
Community Icon
I am an Offical Comcast Employee.
Official Employees are from multiple teams within Comcast.
We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit.
Community Icon
I am a Comcast Employee.
Please post so people with similar questions may benefit.
Was your question answered?
Mark it as a solution!solution Icon
Posted by
Contributor

Message 14 of 34

Comcast Amir,

Thx for offering to help. The issue affecting so many comcast users (including me) is simply: 

Ever since 4/17 when Comcast made many changes to

http://my.xfinity.com/

we cannot complete the login to "My Account" to change passwords, pay bills, etc.

See below... which talks about a Bad Gateway being the cause of this login failure...

---------- detail resulting in failure to login -----------------

1. Go To

2. click signin

brings up signin page

3. enter user ID/password

4. click signin

brings up XFinity webpage showing

“Hi, Gary”  (upper right hand corner)  at......

Since I see "hi Gary" I assume this means I am logged in.

5. then I click on “My Account (upper bar)

and I see

6. Login to “My Account” does not occur!

-------------------

If you clear all Comcast cookies, and

Attempt Login again at

you get…………………..

Bad Gateway!

The proxy server received an invalid response from an upstream server.

The proxy server could not handle the request GET /login.

Reason: Error reading from remote server

If you think this is a server error, please contact the webmaster.

Error 502

login.comcast.net
Thu May 11 19:10:48 2017
Apache  

https://login.comcast.net/login?r=comcast.net&s=oauth&continue=https%3A%2F%2Flogin.comcast.net%2Foau...  

Posted by
Contributor

Message 15 of 34

Fixing 502 errors - general

This problem is due to poor IP communication between back-end computers, possibly including the Web server at the site you are trying to visit.

If you get this problem for only some of the Web sites you try to visit then it is likely to be a problem at those sites i.e. one of their pieces of equipment is failing/overloaded. Contact the people at those sites.

Posted by
Contributor

Message 16 of 34

Please check out following link.  Tier 3 tech support has been working on solving this issue since 4/17!  And no solution in sight.

Many customers are impacted.  It's called a "BAD GATEWAY.  ERROR 502".

http://forums.xfinity.com/t5/Customer-Service/CANNOT-GET-LOGIN-SCREEN-Adv-Online-Tech-Team-powerless...

Suggest you call Comcast Billing (800-934-6489) and pay your bill over the phone.

Posted by
Contributor

Message 17 of 34

More and more comcast customer are reporting this issue.  Link to latest post is below.

Where is Tier 3 tech support in solving the "BAD GATEWAY. ERROR 502" issue (described above)?

http://forums.xfinity.com/t5/Customer-Service/Can-t-pay-bill-online-or-chat/m-p/2905621/highlight/fa...

Posted by
Official Employee

Message 18 of 34

Hi, Gary505873. My apologies for the delayed response. Per my understanding, you get the 502 Bad Gateway message every time you try to access My Account page in any browser, or any of your PCs, in multiple locations. You only can access it in a private mode when you use Firefox. Please correct me, if I am wrong. Are you getting the same error message when you try to access the XFINITY email page? Have you tried to use a different computer, not the one that you own? Like in the library for example. Thank you in advance for your response. 

Community Icon
Official Employees are from multiple teams within Comcast: Product, Support, Leadership.
We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit from the conversation.

Community Icon
Community Icon
I am a Comcast Employee.
Highlighted
Posted by
Cable Expert

Message 19 of 34

Gary505873 wrote:

I tried using the "Private Window" function of Firefox to open a private browsing window, and I was also able to get into "My Account." I tried several earlier Firefox versions as well (those with the "Private Window" function), and this "work-around" works with all of them.

Great. So now you know it's not a server issue on Comcast's end. Typical things to try include clearing the cache, clearing cookies, disabling extensions etc until you find the conflict.

Community Icon
I am not a Comcast employee, I am a paying customer just like you!
I am an XFINITY Forum Expert and I am here to help. For information on the program click here.
Community Icon
I am not a Comcast employee. I am a paying customer just like you!
I am an XFINITY Forum Expert and I am here to help.
Community Icon
I am not a Comcast employee.

Posted by
Contributor

Message 20 of 34

Wrong.  It proves it is a Comcast server issue -- according to Tier 3 Tech Support.  The 4/17 "improvements" require customers to clear their Comcast/Xfinity cookies EVERY TIME they access their account.  This was never required before the 4/17 "improvements."  Suggest you google BAD GATEWAY - 502 ERROR

Fixing 502 errors - general

This problem is due to poor IP communication between back-end computers, possibly including the Web server at the site you are trying to visit.

If you get this problem for only some of the Web sites you try to visit then it is likely to be a problem at those sites i.e. one of their pieces of equipment is failing/overloaded. Contact the people at those sites.

Posted by
Cable Expert

Message 21 of 34

So you think it's a bad server, except when you change your browser configuration? 

◔̯◔

Community Icon
I am not a Comcast employee, I am a paying customer just like you!
I am an XFINITY Forum Expert and I am here to help. For information on the program click here.
Community Icon
I am not a Comcast employee. I am a paying customer just like you!
I am an XFINITY Forum Expert and I am here to help.
Community Icon
I am not a Comcast employee.

Posted by
Connection Expert

Message 22 of 34
Posted by
Contributor

Message 23 of 34

Problem is NOT a stale cookie.  I have deleted all Comcast/Xfinity cookies many times since 4/17.  Others have stated they have also removed all comcast/xfinity cookies many times too.  Since 4/17 when comcast made major changes, it seems their server authentication is corrupting our comcast/xfinity cookies.

-----------------  more detail ----------------

1. Comcast tier 3 tech support admits the problem is their server.   They advise ticket  SI 019880395  documents the "global issue" affecting many Comcast users.

2.  Posted by  GrannyWilliams  05-06-2017 11:18 PM      “I don't consider "clearing cookies" to be an actual "solution" of any kind and I think the real problem should be fixed by Comcast.”

Posted by
Official Employee

Message 24 of 34

Gary505873, the ticket SI 01988039 is not related to My Account page, it's only related to the email side. Are you getting the same 502 error message when you try to access the XFINITY email page? Have you tried to use a different computer, not the one that you own?

Community Icon

Community Icon
Community Icon
I am a Comcast Employee.
Posted by
Contributor

Message 25 of 34

1. select My Account | Email | Online News | My XFINITY webpage

http://my.xfinity.com/?cid=a

1. Click on “Sign In” (far right top)

1. brings up XFinity sign in webpage

1. enter userID and password

1. click “Sign In

1. takes me back to

My Account | Email | Online News | My XFINITY  webpage

But I am signed in. 

Top right shows:  Hi, GARY

Sign Out

1. Click on “My Account” (Top Menu, last item)

1. get “spinning wheel” on top tab.

Get  “transferring data from login.comcast.net"  (bottom of webpage, far left side).

As link shows, you get  “Fauthorize”  (authentication fails, even though I am logged in (see step 6).

The message the comcast server displays is.......................

Sorry

A communication error has occurred. We have been notified and are looking into the issue. Please try reloading the page or coming back later.

Posted by
Official Employee

Message 26 of 34

I came to Community Team from Tier 3 Internet/Video support, the documentation for any SI ticket is correct. I understand you are having issues with the My Account page but in order to help I need you to answer my questions:

- Are you getting any error message when you try to access the XFINITY email page?

- If you can access My Account page in Private/Incognito mode in Chrome or Firefox - this is not a server issue. 

- Have you tried to use a different computer, not the one that you own?

- Please send in a private message the username you use to sign in.

Community Icon

Community Icon
Community Icon
I am a Comcast Employee.
Posted by
Contributor

Message 27 of 34

ComcastElla

Again, thank you for all your help in resolving the issue.

You asked

1. Are you getting any error message when you try to access the XFINITY email page?
  2. If you can access My Account page in Private/Incognito mode in Chrome or Firefox - this is not a server issue. 
  3. Have you tried to use a different computer, not the one that you own?
  4. Please send in a private message the username you use to sign in.

My responses:

1. Do not use XFINITY email. When I do, I get following error msg:

Your connection is not secure

The owner of mailcenter.comcast.net has configured their website improperly. To protect your information from being stolen, Firefox has not connected to this website.

1. I can access My Account in Private Mode ONLY after clearing all Comcast cookies before log in.

If not a server issue, why the msg….

Bad Gateway!

The proxy server received an invalid response from an upstream server.

The proxy server could not handle the request GET /login.

Reason: Error reading from remote server

If you think this is a server error, please contact the webmaster.

Error 502

login.comcast.net
Thu May 11 19:10:48 2017
Apache  

1. Tried several Pcs – desktop, 2 laptops. Both on home network and 2 other networks. No difference.

I must continually clear all Comcast cookies (even if created minutes before) for a successful log in to My Account.

1. I will send you my user name (for Xfinity email) via PM, as requested.
Posted by
Official Employee

Message 28 of 34

Thank you for the information

- The insecure error message that you receive on email side is weird. Do you have an antivirus on your computer? Any specific firewall settings? 

- If it was a server issue, it won't let you access the website at all. But you can access the website after clearing cache and cookies.

- Are all your PCs have a Windows 7 OS? 

If you have an antivirus software on your PC - please disable it, restart your browser and reset all settings to default. 

Community Icon

Community Icon
Community Icon
I am a Comcast Employee.
Posted by
Contributor

Message 29 of 34

ComcastElla

Thanks for your prompt reply.

You ask……..

1. The insecure error message that you receive on email side is weird. Do you have an antivirus on your computer? Any specific firewall settings? 
  2. If it was a server issue, it won't let you access the website at all. But you can access the website after clearing cache and cookies.
  3. Are all your PCs have a Windows 7 OS? 

My response…….

1. Antivirus disabled on all PCs, and firewalls off when attempting to log in to My Accounts. Antivirus and firewall settings can not be causing the communication issue as they have been deactivated for this testing.
  2. As per the Bad Gateway – error 502 message (accompanying the communications failure)… it seems possible it may be Comcast server/software issue (despite your comments this cannot be). The 502 error talks about communications problems between the remote server, the upstream server and the proxy server.

Is it not possible the Comcast server accepts my cookies -  hence the successful log in to the

My Account | Email | Online News | My XFINITY webpage

But when I click on the My Account button on this webpage, a communication error occurs. 

When I remove my initial comcast cookies (corrupted by the Comcast server), and I am asked to reenter my username and password (a second  log in webpage appears), I replace corrupted cookies with good cookies – and hence am allowed to proceed to MY Accounts?

1. Desktop is XP Pro, while all laptops are Win 7.

Keep in mind all these communication failures began 4/17, the day Comcast “announced” system enhancements to improve the user experience.  Coincidence?

Posted by
Official Employee

Message 30 of 34

The operation system Windows XP is no longer supported, so we can't do any troubleshooting on your desktop PC. However, we can definitely work with your laptops. If it was a possible server issue, it would affect a lot of customers, and we will see a high volume for My Account login issues with the same error message. Could you please do me a favor and take a screenshot of the error message on one of your laptops? In case if we will need to escalate it further, the screenshot would definitely help. You can post it here or send it via private message. 

Community Icon

Community Icon
Community Icon
I am a Comcast Employee.
Posted by
Contributor

Message 31 of 34

Comcast My Account Login msgComcast My Account Login msg

https://customer.xfinity.com/#/?CMP=ILC:MA:GNV:SUB:COM:BP:INT56128531b20cf

Posted by
Official Employee

Message 32 of 34

Thank you! Would you mind if I will try to duplicate the issue? In order to do so, I'll have to reset the password for your primary Comcast username. If it's not an option, I can create a secondary username under your account. Please note, I'm not going to make any changes without your permission. 

Community Icon

Community Icon
Community Icon
I am a Comcast Employee.
Posted by
Contributor

Message 33 of 34

ComcastElla

Thanks for your continuing interest in resolving this global issue! 

After 30+ years, I have been forced to cancel my Comcast service due to skyrocketing monthly costs we can no longer afford.  So this issue is no longer my fight.  But I am sure the many others suffering this issue (some discussed in this thread) would greatly appreciate your continued assistance.

Posted by
Official Employee

Message 34 of 34

Gary505873, I'm sorry to hear that you had to cancel services with us. If you will change your mind, I'd be happy to assist you at any time. Thank you so much for helping me out with this issue. 

Community Icon

Community Icon
Community Icon
I am a Comcast Employee.