Find solutions, share knowledge, and get answers from customers and experts

New to the Community? Start here.

members

online now

discussions

Buyer Beware-Blast Plus promo

New Poster

Buyer Beware-Blast Plus promo

I have been a Comcast customer for many years and about 6 months ago decided to pull the plug on cable and try steaming services for a while (netflix, hulu plus, amazon instant: Streaming my services via roku and ps3, and watching content from my computer as well).  My internet package went up in price (fine whatever), I was paying about $59.99 + taxes for internet only 12mbps.  Comcast calls me every single month with random offers, but since I was interested in getting HBO for the new year I listened to their deal.  They offered me Blast plus upgrade and digital economy package + HBO free for two years, all for $69.99 + taxes, no contract and it would go up after year one to $79.99 but stay at that price there after.  Streampix was also to be included in this package for no extra charge.  I was like that sounds pretty good, so they sent me my self install kit. They briefly went over the channels that I would be getting and I was told that I would be getting most of what is offered in the basic package.  

I received my self install kit and set everything up last week. Checked out my channel line up and had pretty much all the channels you would expect with a basic line up, like they said. Today I get no Nickelodeon but have MTV and VH1 (also owned by viacom). I still have Comcast Sports net.  I have not been able to access Streampix services at all. I call to investigate, and the rep tells me that Comcast did an update last week (this is a lie) and that Nickelodeon is not included in my package (this is true for the Digital economy package). I asked her why I have MTV and VH1 and she says those are included (this is a lie). I then asked her for a list of the channels that I should be getting and the details of my Blast plus package with the prices that I was promised in writing. She says she can't do this and that I should just look online and that my bill will explain what comes with my package. I ask to speak to her supervisor, no one is available. At this point I'm super irritated, I feel like they are just able to say that anything is what ever price they want, and change packages without any notification to the customer, and charge you whatever they feel like charging without your authorization (this has happened to me many times in the past which is part of the reason I cancelled 6 months ago). They fact that they won't even provide me with the details of my package says a lot about the company.   

I told her to transfer me to someone so that I could cancel my service and I was put on hold for 25 minutes only to be disconnected. I called back and spoke to the cancellation rep who was a bit more straight forward with me. In the meantime I was able to look at the list of channels for this digital economy package and indeed nickelodeon is not included in the digital economy package. MTV, VH1 and some other channels that I am getting now should not be working but they are. All he offered me was another premium channel for $5 extra a month. I am looking for another provider and possibly another provider for my internet as well.  Cable companies are dragging it out but it is a dying business model. I have no problem paying for my services (rather than illegally downloading content) but I want the channels that I want and not a whole bunch of extra channels that I'm not watching.  I also think that it is reasonable for a customer to expect that their bill is correct on a consistent basis.  How many more customers is Comcast willing to lose over their shady business practices and inept customer service representatives?  Generally speaking the tech people are great and I've never had a problem but the CR reps just straight up lie and make stuff up.  I don't have the patience to deal with a company that clearly does not care about making it's customers happy.

New Poster

Re: Buyer Beware-Blast Plus promo

I just made the "Blast Plus" "upgrade" which was due to expire 1/31/13.  It stated on the website that this Blast Plus upgrade was for existing customers and one would get HBO free for one year.  I can read.  I did not make a mistake about this.  Today they told me it was HBO for 3 months only and the promo is nowhere to be found online in the same format I accessed last night.  Rip off, rip off, rip off.

Frequent Visitor

I've tried for two days to add the Blast Plus + HBO promo from the website to my account, with no luck.  None of the reps I chat with or speak to can find it in their systems and, to make matters worse, I have experienced the same type of misleading CSR behavior as you.  Specifically, they have all offered other services in lieu of the one they cannot find, BUT every single person has given me a different price for that service.  Even when I ask for a la carte pricing of just internet, or just basic cable, I get a different answer. 

They are cherry-picking information to give to us, as a way to make it seem like a bum deal!  I was told it would cost me $35 for limited cable when the price is clearly $15.  I was told it would cost $72 for internet when the price is clearly $49.  Just ridiculous.

Problem Solver

The regular unpromoted price of 30 or 50 mb blast (depending on your area) is $74.95/mo

So blast plus gives you the cable stuff for  $2 for the second year, it makes sense for a cord cutter.

YOu get local tv channels, + CNN and a few under channels, you can watch CNN on the internet.

You get lots more internet bandwith letting you run several netflix/amazon HD streams in your house.

Problem Solver

Connection Expert

FWIW, there is no Blast 30 Mbps sustained download speed tier. Blast is now 25/4 sustained in some areas and in other upgraded areas it is 50/10.

That "30 Mbps with Powerboost" quote is nothing more than marketing wizardry / madness...

Community Icon
I am not a Comcast employee, I am a paying customer just like you!
I am an XFINITY Forum Expert and I am here to help. For information on the program click here.
We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit from the conversation.
Was your question answered? Mark it as an accepted solution!solution Icon
Community Icon
I am not a Comcast employee. I am a paying customer just like you!
I am an XFINITY Forum Expert and I am here to help.
We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit.
Was your question answered? Mark it as an accepted solution!solution Icon
Community Icon
I am not a Comcast employee.

Was your question answered?
Mark it as a solution!solution Icon

Discussion stats
  • 5 replies
  • 1 kudo
  • 5 in conversation