online now

discussions

Arris Surfboard SB7580-AC Firmware Update

SOLVED
Posted by
Frequent Visitor

Message 1 of 56

This matter pertains to the Arris Surfboard SB7580-AC

On July 20, 2017 Comcast has pushed a firmware update to my Arris Surfboard Cable Modem WiFi Router.

This modem/router is a wholly owned device by myself.  This modem/router is not rented/leased from Comcast.  

This firmware is a joint venture between Arris and McAfee.  This update has been provisioned to my modem and contains The McAfee's sofware called Secure Home Platform.  Comcast and another ISP cable company whose business name I do not recall are the only two companies who are parcipating to push this firmware to the indicated modem/Router.   Comcast had never notified me via an email or by any other means that this firmware update was going to take place.  However, when I had attempted to browse the internet this firmware automatically caused a block to access the website I was attempting to go to had redirected me an Arris congradulations splash page.  This page describes the details of McAfee's Secure Home Platform.  I then called Arris technical support to confirm what was going on.  At his point the technical support representative indicated the reason why I access was being blocked becuase of Comcast being my service provider pushing this firmware update.  I realize Comcast is my provider.  However, Comcast did not provide me with an option to Opt in or Opt out of this Mcafee/Arris firmware update which is a modem encrypted software.   I then called Comcast technical support and spoke with 4 different technical support representatives.  Based upon their accents, every one of them are forigner's which also indicates Comcast is oursourcing their technical support to foreign country call centers.  These support representatives were totally clueless regarding this firmware update.  I was also transfered to a Comcast's Seccurity Department support representative who was also clueless and stated to contact McAfee support directly.  After having spent hours on this matter and going in circles.  While speaking with McAfee the support representaive couldn't find me as their subscriber. 

Well, another dead end.  So, I called Arris again and requested to speak with a supervisor who also confirmed the fact of this update.  I told the supervisor I wanted assistance to get rid of this software.  The supervisor stated since it's actually a McAfee firmware / sofware update and new he would have to check his resources.  The supervisor called back and left a message indicating for me to call back and speak with their Tier 1 Support who will contact McAfee through a confernece call.   So, I called and spoke with another Arris representative.  I also mentioned to this guy I did not authorize this firmware update and i wanted it to removed.  I ended up being transfered to yet another Arris supervisor who repeated the same thing regarding the update.  I told this supervosor I did not want this software.  The supervisor did some reseach and told me to call back and I would have a confrence call with a McAfee's support to remove the software.  Making yet another call to Arris the representative made contact with McAfee providing the complete details of the modem.  McAfee's support tech. stated the sofware can not be removed and informed me to buy another modem.  The McAfee tech. stated If the customer purchases a new Modem it will not have this software.  The Arris guy said Comcast will automatically push the update to the new modem so that won't work.  The Arris guy stated he is going to esclate this matter to his supervisor to determine the next step.  I'll be waiting. 

Comcast get your McAfee sofware out of my modem.  You do not own my modem.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Posted by
Authorized Vendor

Message 25 of 56
Solution

The ARRIS SURFboard SBG7580-AC home gateway update that is being distributed includes a whole home security suite powered by McAfee.  The update brings the device up to ARRIS’s current specification, adding some new features that include ARRIS Secure Home Internet by McAfee.  If you have any questions, or would like to unsubscribe to the service, please call our customer service number at +1-877-466-8646. 

We are working on a better way to opt-out other then calling into the call center..

-------------------------------------
Network Engineer, IP Engineer, Docsis..; the views expressed on this post are mine and do not necessarily reflect the views of my employer..

Gamer.. Living the dream one catastrophe at a time Smiley Happy ..
55 REPLIES
Posted by
Connection Expert

Message 2 of 56

Concern moved here from the Home Networking Help Board for greater exposure / escalation to actual Comcast employees for assistance.

Community Icon
I am not a Comcast employee, I am a paying customer just like you!
I am an XFINITY Forum Expert and I am here to help. For information on the program click here.
We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit from the conversation.
Was your question answered? Mark it as an accepted solution!solution Icon
Community Icon
I am not a Comcast employee. I am a paying customer just like you!
I am an XFINITY Forum Expert and I am here to help.
We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit.
Community Icon
I am not a Comcast employee.

Was your question answered?
Mark it as a solution!solution Icon

Posted by
New Poster
  • Congratulations on receiving your first Kudos! Thank you for your meaningful contribution to the forum. May this be the first of many kudos.
  • Thank you contributor for your first reply to the community!
 Posting replies is the best way to get involved.

Message 3 of 56

Exact same scenario.  Comcast needs to provide a way to strip off this "protection".  Especially when it tells you "free for 3 years".  Other than the fact I didn't approve this on MY modem, If you're going to force software it's going to be free forever or get it off MY equipment.

Comcast needs to respond quickly.  Their practices are becoming more intrusive with immediately "opting in" customers to their wifi sharing and now this.  It's one thing when you rent a modem.  It's another altogether when I own it.  

Posted by
New Poster
  • Congrats on Posting your first topic!

Message 4 of 56

This is infuriating.  I just happened to stumble on this as I have the same modem.  

I'm going to assume the same was done to mine.  Perhaps a factory reset can get rid of this intrusive software?  

Posted by
New Poster
  • Congratulations on receiving your first Kudos! Thank you for your meaningful contribution to the forum. May this be the first of many kudos.

Message 5 of 56

I think the same thing happened to us. I was using my browser and kept on being redirected to the splash page. At first, I thought my browser had been hijacked (the word Xfinity appears no wear on the splash page), until I realized what was going on. The splash page, btw, looks like it was made by an 8th grader.

What makes me upset is there is no way to browse around it. I tried even reading the Arris help page, but kept on being redirected to the splash page. There also is not an opt-out option. To use the internet, you have to accept the TOS. Did others have the same experience with the splash page? I only ask because when I go to read the TOS, Fireforx warns me about the website's security certificate (imho rightly, marking anything by McAfee as potentially dangerous). I have no other browser plug-ins, extensions, and my virus and traffic sweep came up clean.

I will be complaining to Comcast and Arris, as well as our state's commerce commission, and EFF. The fact that they are uploading a service with a new TOS without an opt-out is BS. It is true that when you purchase routers, etc, you are purchasing hardware and agreeing to software TOS, but this is going too far. 

Posted by
Cable Expert

Message 6 of 56

This is a placeholder for a post that was moved to a secure location because it violates the forum guidelines (language filter circumvention). http://forums.comcast.com/t5/Forum-Guidelines/Posting-Guidelines/td-p/866289

Posted by
Cable Expert

Message 7 of 56
How to disable Secure Home Platform
Document ID: TS102694

Summary
Follow the steps below to discontinue use of Secure Home Platform (SHP). Your devices will no longer be managed or protected after you complete these steps.

NOTE: While you are connected to an SHP router/gateway, the always on protection will continue to function.

Solution
To discontinue use of SHP, you need to perform these actions:
  • Factory reset the SHP router
  • Uninstall the SHP admin app
  • Replace the SHP Gateway
These actions are described in more detail, below:
  • Factory reset the router
    Press and hold the reset button on the SHP router, or follow these steps:

1. Open the SHP app on your mobile device.
    2. Tap Help.
    3. Tap Factory Reset.
    4. Tap Proceed when you see the warning.
    5. Contact Customer Support and request that they disassociate the router from your account. This will remove the SHP gateway from your account.

NOTE: For additional steps, see TS102678.

• Uninstall the SHP admin app
    Remove the SHP admin application from all mobile devices it has been installed to:

• iOS
      1. Tap and hold the SHP icon until the icons start to wiggle.
      2. Tap the X icon to delete the SHP app.
      3. Confirm that you want to delete the app and its data.
      4. Press the Home button to stop the icons from wiggling.

• Android
      1. Swipe down on the main screen.
      2. Tap Settings.
      3. Tap apps.
      4. Locate the SHP app.
      5. Tap the app and either select uninstall. You can choose to clear the associated data before uninstalling.

• Disable SHP on the Gateway or Replace the device
    Some SHP devices will allow you to disable the SHP service and just use the device in normal 'router' mode. Refer to the documentation that came with your SHP device.
    • If the option exists, disable SHP on the device.
    • If the option to disable SHP is not available, you will need to replace the SHP Gateway.

Community Icon
I am an XFINITY Forum Expert and I am here to help. For information on the program click here.
We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit from the conversation.
Community Icon
Community Icon

Posted by
New Poster

Message 8 of 56

Same problem here. Check out the privacy statement while you are at it. They monitor every site you go to for marketing purposes and to share with 3rd parties. Just one more less than honorable company to monitor everything you do on the net and we hope are not hacked. Not only are they are happy to share (unlike apple) your personal info to law enforcement agency even if they are not required to do so by law. I spent the whole afternoon yesterday with Arris and Mcafee. I won't get into that now as I don't want to go into a tailspin again. There is no option to opt out. I do not have internet unless I agree to their terms. Any company that has the ability and uses it to stop me from using the internet without my consent is a bigger threat than those bad characters they are supposedly trying to protect me from. I've never seen anything like this, ever.

Posted by
New Poster

Message 9 of 56

None of us have a switch in Router settings to disable SHP. If we can get this removed I would like to be able to scan to make sure they are completely out. How would we know? Also why is this affecting just my ipad and not the macbook or phone? Creepy.

Posted by
Cable Expert

Message 10 of 56

wmgol wrote:

There is no option to opt out. 

I get you're rage. I'd be unhappy as well. I've reached out to my contacts at Comcast and I'll update when I know more.

Community Icon
Community Icon
Community Icon

Posted by
New Poster

Message 11 of 56

Since these routers that are in the program have only been purchased from Best Buy I would suggest calling consumer relations. Arris does not have a consumer relations and the foreign Mcafee support does not understand what that is. At the very least why would they push this out with no plan in place to remove it upon request? I called Arris again this morning and like the first poster has escaleted my case. The tech people know nothing about this other than the influx of livid buyers of their product. 

Posted by
Cable Expert

Message 12 of 56

Looks to me like this is something installed by agreement between Arris and McAfee since McAfee says "The ARRIS SURFboard SBG7580-AC with ARRIS Secure Home Internet ....is one of the first routers with SHP and you can buy it now from Best Buy "

Community Icon
Community Icon
Community Icon

Posted by
Frequent Visitor

Message 13 of 56

Nerdburg,

Do you want some cheese with your whine regarding my circumvention of the word filter on this forum of a previous post. 

I notice you have so eliquently removed?  This is exactly what is being discussed here (circumvention) McAfee is circumventing and placing an obstacle in a surreptitious manner which was known to myself and now other consumers by blocking our paths and thus blocking my freedom to access any sites of mine.    This is not and should not be McAfee decision.   Yes! obviously it's your choice to have the power ego trip.   With this being said if my removal from this forum occurs I believe my life will continue just fine without any concern wether or not I'm booted from this site.    

No!  I did not purchase my Arris Surfboard SBG7580-AC with this Arris McAfee software so there is no purchase agreement to which I have agreed to by simply purchasing this device.   I owned this Modem prior to this software intrusion update implementation.   As a matter of fact Arris is currently being inundated by consumers such as myself with concern of McAfee making a determination what sites they consider to be a threat.   This is not their choice nor decision of what sites a consumer decides to access and should not impliment any type of sofware which hinders our ability to do so.   

Just as long as consumer's like myself continue to complaint and we continue inform Arris we will be logging onto various other forum's discussing this topic matter and by attempting to persuade others not to purchase this particular Modem because of this forced firmware containing this SHP sofware which I consider to be an intrusion into my device and this software will be flashed into every device under Comcast data stream as well as this other service provider including those which are currently being manufacured.   Perhaps Arris will rethink this venture if their sales start dropping like dead flies.  

Posted by
Cable Expert

Message 14 of 56

DDSA wrote:

Nerdburg,

Do you want some cheese with your whine regarding my circumvention of the word filter on this forum of a previous post. 

I understand you're frustrated and angry, but you still have to follow the forum guidelines. I'll even agree with you that the language filter is terrible. I'm sure there are other forums that you can use "bad words" and insult the mods if you feel the need to do that, but please refrain from doing that here.

Community Icon
Community Icon
Community Icon

Posted by
Official Employee

Message 15 of 56

Hello all, thank you for bringing this issue to our attention. As (nerdburg) stated we did not install SHP to the SB7580-AC equipment. So, in order to opt-out of the McAfee Security updates please call Arris Support directly at 1-877-466-8646 . 

Community Icon
I am an Official Comcast Employee.
Official Employees are from multiple teams within Comcast: Product, Support, Leadership.

Community Icon
I am an Offical Comcast Employee.
Official Employees are from multiple teams within Comcast.
Community Icon
I am a Comcast Employee.
Please post so people with similar questions may benefit.
Posted by
New Poster

Message 16 of 56

You can add me to the list of people affected by this matter. This is beyond rediculous. 

Posted by
Frequent Visitor

Message 17 of 56

ComcastAmir,

Thank you for your responding to this thread. 

Sir, you should have made an inquiry with your engineer's prior to your posting because you are absolutely incorrect stating Comcast did not install this McAfee Secure Home Platform.  It is also quite unfortunate Comcast has not provided you or all other technical support personnel in the various countries technical support call centers with a complete knowledge regarding the push of this unauthorized software update.  Your avitar-profile does not specifically indicate if you are a Technical Support personnel.  

*** As of the time of this posting I am currently speaking with a Comcast Tier 3 Advance Repair Technical Support person who also stated Comcast does not and did not update my modem with this McAfee sofware.  Unfortunately, she is another employee who has not received knowledge or training regarding this update.  I informed her Comcast only has the capability to update a modem's sofware.  This is not a consumer side sofware update.  I requested to be transfered to her supervisor.  This supervisor was also unaware and unfamilar with this update and also stated Comcast does not update modem's software.  I told her manufactures do not release firmware-software to end user consumer's and we do not have acess to firmware-sofware in order to update our modem ourselves.  Manufacture's only provide firmware-software to service provider's and only service providers have the ability to push software to devices on their network.  ( I gave her the same example.   I explained to her when mobile phone devices are firmware updated,  it's the manufacture who provides firmware updates to service providers who pay for the firmware updates to add or correct phone problems unless it's an actual OS update)   This supervisor is reaching out to Comcast Security and she will return my call. I have previously spoken with Security who stated he only handles e-mail or network security issues.  So, I don't know if this is another security department within Comcast.)

I will post the results once I receive a call back.  

Continuing:

As I have indicated my modem is a consumer owned modem.  My modem was purchased prior to this collaboration between Arris and McAfee. As also indicated by Arris technical support there are currently two cable internet service providers one being Comcast who have entered into the agreement to update-board-flash-upload this unauthorized McAfee Secure Home Platform firmware-sofware to the SBG7580-AC modem.  I have also previously mentioned this modem was not a recent purchase and was owned prior to July 21, 2017 when Comcast pushed this update to my modem which did not have this McAfee Secure Home Platform sofware installed.   For your knowledge any recently manufactured SB57580-AC modems are now being released-sold with this McAfee Secure Home Platform. (see)  http://www.arris.com/surfboard/products/wi-fi-cable-modems/sbg7580-ac-with-mcafee/

Comcast is my cable Internet Service Provider.  There are currently only 2 cable Internet Service Provider's who have entered into this agreement with Arris and McAfee to push update-board-flash-upload consumer owned Arris SB7580-AC.  Consumer's such as myself do not have access to the Firmware McAfee Home Internet Platform software and we not have the ability to update our modem with this software.  However, there is always a possibility somewhere on the internet the firmware could exist if someone within has release this firmware on the internet.  Personallly, I have not scoured the internet to see if I can find it.  Also, do not believe there is any open source firmware available for this modem.  

Arris does not maintain some sort of open backdoor in order to gain unauthorized access through the internet to upload firmware or any other type of sofware.  With all this being said Yes! the company you work for did infact update my modem with this unauthorized sofware without notice.  Also, I was never given an opportunity opt in or out.

So, once again Comcast get this unauthorized McAfee sofware out of my modem and restore my modem to pre-update condition.   I will be looking forward to this Tier 3 Advance Repair Supervisor returning my call.  

Posted by
Official Employee
  • Great Job! Your reply has been accepted. Thank you for helping and Congrats on your 1st Solution.

Message 18 of 56

All - we're working with Arris to resolve this issue.  The SHP functionality was added in a firmware update provided by Arris (and deployed by Comcast).  Arris is working on adding the ability to opt out of the feature but have let us know that their support team can disable it in the meantime at 877-466-8646.

DDSA - is the above number the one you used to reach Arris?

Community Icon
Official Employees are from multiple teams within Comcast: Product, Support, Leadership.

Community Icon
Community Icon
I am a Comcast Employee.
Posted by
Frequent Visitor

Message 19 of 56

So, I did receive the call back from Comcast's Tier 3 Advance Support Supervisor.   She also had a 10 year Advance Support Technician on the call. This Support Technician emphatically denies Comcast has pushed this firmware-software which contains this McAfee Secure Home Network Platform to my modem.  The Technician also stated Comcast does not have any type of business relationship with Intel-McAfee.  The Technician stated Comcast does have a business relationship with Symantec which Comcast provides their subscriber's with Norton software products which a subscriber can download and install.  These Comcast products are Norton's Constant Guard or Norton Security Suite both I am familar with. 

Comcast provides some Technical Support for these two products or Comcast will refer the subscriber's directly to Symantec which provides Norton Technical Support for Comcast subscribers if Comcast is unable to resolve problems associated with this sofware.

So, again I called Arris informing this Technical Support person that Comcast continues to deny having anything to do with pushing this firmware-software update to my modem.   I also asked this Technical Support person who within Comcast knows about this firmware and the specific department.  Unfortunately, this Technical Support person stated this information is beyond his level.  The Technical Support person informed me as of yesterday my case has been esclated to their Corporate level and I should be receiving a call possibly tomorrow.   So, I will post again once I receive this call.   

So, once again Comcast get this unauthorized McAfee sofware out of my modem and restore my modem to pre-update condition.   I will be looking forward to receiving this call from Arris Corporate level.

I just received a call from Arris Corporate Customer Service who informed me Arris made contact with Intel-McAfee and I'm being told McAfee apparently developed the ability to partically disable this firmware.  I'm now informed the SHP is also Cloud base which is what has been disabled but if the device is ever factory rest the software will provision and reactivate automatically.   I told her this band-aid fix was not acceptable.   I want my modem to be resorted to pre-firmware condition.   The only manner I can tell if in fact it has been accomplished is by doing a factory reset and seeing if I return to the original splash page.   She will let those invoved know I am looking for a complete restoration fix not this partial band-aid fix.   She will contact me when this happens if it does.

I'll be waiting and will post if anything further developes.

Those of you with the same modem needs to contact Arris also with regard to disabling the cloud side if you don't want your internet navigation hindered by sites which maybe on McAfee's hit list of being a malicious site.

I'll keep you all posted.

Posted by
Frequent Visitor

Message 20 of 56

ComcastRyanD

Yes, that is the Arris Technical Support telephone number.  If you read my current post you will see Arris / McAfee has partially disabled this software.  I'm looking for Arris providing Comcast with the pre-firmware to restore my modem completely without the automatic provision upon a factory reset.  I do not want this partial band-aid fix.

I'll keep everyone posted

Posted by
New Poster

Message 21 of 56

Why is this issue being marked as solved? It does not have a final solution, only a temporary fix. Furthermore, what assurances do we have that this will not happen again? Why is Comcast pushing out updates without knowing what is in them?

Posted by
Frequent Visitor

Message 22 of 56
SocialScholar
Thank you for your response. I am currently reviewing and posting my reply via my mobile device since I am not currently at my residential computer. So, I cannot see or determine if this thread has been marked as being solved. Who ever has marked it as being solved and whether or not it can be retracted this matter has definitely not been resolved to a satisfactory level since Arris existing fix which I use the term as being only a Band-Aid fix at this point. I will be waiting for a return call from Arris informing me that Comcast has updated my modem with pre firmware condition and not being able to reprovision itself automatically by doing a factory reset
Posted by
Frequent Visitor

Message 23 of 56

Well, now I am even more irritated

When I returned home this evening I tried to access a site which McAfee Secure Internet Platform deems to be a malicious site.  (Just for the record which I'm sure others are wondering what site I'm attempting to access causing this splash screen appearing.  Once again it's no ones business.

The fact of the matter and the issue is, I am still receiving the Arris McAfee splash screen Whoa, we flagged this site as malicious.  Yes! I can proceed by clicking continue button in order for the software to process my request to proceed to my destination.

Well, it's quite obvious this McAfee disabling Band-Aid fix has restored itself back to it's current state.  I think McAfee has hoodwinked Arris into believing they have comeup with a solution to this problem 

I believe this firmware is still being pushed through the network by Comcast which is reprovisioning and uploading itself into my modem.  I don't care what Comcast's higher level Technical Support states saying Comcast is not pushing this firmware.  It's quite obvious these individuals are not within any level to have knowledge regarding this firmware which is being pushed by the Provider-Comcast.

So, the Arris Corporate Customer Service representative will be receiving yet another call from me in the morning notifying her of this complete failure.   It did not acheive anything and will not be resolved until Comcast removes this specific  firmware from their network stream entirely and pushes the original firmware to my modem.   

Just for further information while on the phone with the Arris Corporate Customer Service representative this morning she had me test the fact this firmware-sofware had been disabled.  The representative advised me to go to the following URL PR0XY.ORG   As she indicated The 0 is a (Zero) not an O.  While attempting to access this site the connection timed out which she stated was a good thing because otherwise I would have received the Arris/McAfee Splash screen if the firmware-software was not disabled.   Arris McAfee hoodwinked your company into believing they have come up with a viable solution.

I will post again.

Posted by
Frequent Visitor

Message 24 of 56

Spoke with the Arris Customer Service Representative regarding this disabling band-aid fix not working.

This representative stated she is baffled and appologized and said she doesn't know what is going on since it was working yesterday afternoon after having gone to their PR0XY.ORG test site.  As we spoke she reached out to one of her peers who is probably a Support Technician who advised her to guide me through the proceedure to flush the DNS since I am currently using a MAC.  I also cleared the 2 browser's I use cache.  All this accomplished and still not working. 

The representative checked on the Arris side and stated this disabled band-aid fix is still showing disable. 

So, she stated she will be contacting McAfee's Sofware Engineer's.  I do not know if she personally speaks directly with McAfee's software engineer's or one of Arris higher tier support technician makes the actual contact.

Having previous reviewed Arris's publicity regarding this joint venture which you can review by going to the below link.

http://www.arriseverywhere.com/2017/01/arris-and-intel-security-collaborate-to-deliver-whole-home-cy...

I told this girl she should make contact with this Sandy Howe, SVP & GM, Consumer Products Group and inform her I am a consumer and who knows how many others who are quite irritated with the problems being encountered with the inability to freely navigate the internet without any hinderance of this McAfee software.  Arris should consider doing a total recall on this modem and then roll back the release of this firmware-software until McAfee comes up with a complete solution to fix this problem.  The representative called back to confirm which splash page I was receiving which I confirmed it's the block splash page not the Congradulation's page.   The representative stated she will continue speaking with McAfee's Software Engineer's and will get back to me as soon as she receives an answer.  

I will continue to post the results. 

Posted by
Authorized Vendor

Message 25 of 56
Solution

The ARRIS SURFboard SBG7580-AC home gateway update that is being distributed includes a whole home security suite powered by McAfee.  The update brings the device up to ARRIS’s current specification, adding some new features that include ARRIS Secure Home Internet by McAfee.  If you have any questions, or would like to unsubscribe to the service, please call our customer service number at +1-877-466-8646. 

We are working on a better way to opt-out other then calling into the call center..

Network Engineer, IP Engineer, Docsis..; the views expressed on this post are mine and do not necessarily reflect the views of my employer..

Posted by
Silver Problem Solver

Message 26 of 56

I feel I should point this out...

https://www.xfinity.com/Corporate/Customers/Policies/SubscriberAgreement.html

1. ACCEPTANCE OF THIS AGREEMENT
If you use or otherwise indicate your acceptance of the Service(s), you have accepted this Agreement and agree to be bound by its terms.

b. Customer Equipment.

1. Responsibility: We have no responsibility for the operation, support, maintenance or repair of any Inside Wiring or Customer Equipment including, but not limited to, Customer Equipment to which we or a third party has sent software or downloads. You agree that by using the Service(s), we, or our authorized agents and equipment manufacturers, are authorized to send code updates to the Customer Equipment, including, but not limited to, modems and digital interactive televisions with CableCARDs, at any time we determine it is necessary to do so. Such code updates may change, add or remove features or functionality of the Customer Equipment or the Service(s).

So technically, you did agree to receive the update. Still, Arris (not Comcast) releasing a firmware update that randomly blocks sites with no way to opt out seems like a MASSIVE oversight, even if they later release another update that does give the option to turn the firewall off. I don't think Arris thought this one through.

Posted by
New Poster

Message 27 of 56

We did turn off our firewall... it didn't help.  I'm still getting those blue screen "this site is malicious" pages.   It took ten minutes for this site to even load.  

Posted by
Frequent Visitor

Message 28 of 56

Well, I got a call yesterday from the Arris Customer Server representative.

Well, apparently McAfee sofware engineers do not have a fix for this problem.  Since the band-aid cloud disabling does not work.   The comment give by Arris "They're working on it"  What a bunch of bunk.   Why didn't McAfee engineer's figure through with some intelligent logic before releasing this product in the first place?

So, in the alternative Arris will provide a refund for what I paid for this modem.

Arris = McAfee = Comcast    You've entered into a failed product

NO! THIS MATTER HAS NOT BEEN SOLVED

Posted by
New Poster

Message 29 of 56

I just got this firmware update tonight.  Many sites I frequent at getting the blue screen.  No way to disable this outside of contacting support??? Are you KIDDING me?

I'm extremely disappointed; this is an awful way to treat your userbase.  

At minimum I'll be dropping my Arris router if this is not sorted out within the next two days.  

Posted by
Frequent Visitor

Message 30 of 56

SBailey466

Welcome to the world of the Arris McAfee firmware update intrusion into your modem.

I am certain you have been following this thread.   Since this thread has been marked as solved which it is not, I will continue to post my conversations with my assigned Arris Customer Service representative who stated she has taken control of this case and hopefully it will be resolved. 

The following is my mid-morning Friday, July 28th conversation with the Arris representative.

Basically, I am venting my anger with her.  The representative keeps insisting Arris is working together with McAfee's software engineers in an attempt to resolve this problem. ( Yeah, blah blah blah)  I told the representative Arris caused this problem without using any logic and common sense.   Arris did not give much thought to the fact modem owners such as myself and based upon my internet reading there are also other modem owners who do not want this McAfee software intrusion which has been forced into our modem by Comcast and Arris really needs to take complete responsibility to fix the problem.  One option she had come up with was refunding the cost of my modem.  I told her this a terrible solution to the problem Arris has caused.  She also indicated Arris would provide an alternate modem which is not within the same speed capability as this particular modem.  Again, I told her this is also a terrible solution to fix this problem. I repeated, Arris needs to resolve the problem and take responsiblity to rectify the problem caused to myself and other consumers who own this model modem.   I stated Arris has basically caused our modem to be force fed with this firmware-software update without any concern of their customer's.   I continued to indicate it is my belief Arris convinced Comcast and the other service provider to push this firmware-McAfee sofware update through their network in order to update all of their pre-owned SBG7580-AC modems purchased prior to this McAfee sofware modem rollout in order to have all the SB7580-AC encripted with this McAfee SHP sofware.   I also asked why did Arris even think about having this firmware-software pushed  to these pre-owned modems when customers have the ability decline or agree to buy this SBG7580-AC modem with this McAfee Secure Home Platform software?   She could not come up with a satisfactory answer other than agreeing with my statement because she knows it's true.   (I want to post an expletive but Nerdburg will remove it so I have to behave myself.) 

I told her what needs to happen is Arris needs to take complete responsibility since it's not a McAfee or Comcast problem and provide Comcast with the original firmware in order to push it to my modem and others in order to restore the modem back to a pre-McAfee condition.  Arris also needs to have Comcast remove this firmware update from their network stream so it can not re-update my modem as well as others who pre-owned this modem and also requesting Comcast to remove all serial number's or MAC addresses or any other identifier's being used so in the future should Arris release another update it won't be pushed to my modem and effect our modem's at a later time.   She stammered and studdered and couldn't say you're right s Arris should do this.  But, repeated the same song "I will continue talking with McAfee's software engineer's and we are still working to resolve this problem. 

Later in the afternoon she called back stating McAfee's software engineer's in Canada will be calling for a conference call to work on this problem.   So, I'll see what McAfee comes up with. 

I will be posting the results.

Posted by
Frequent Visitor

Message 31 of 56

ArrisTuska wrote:

Arris Tuska,

As I have already indicated this firmware-software update is an Arris's forced decision not mine. 

If Arris wants to sell their new modems and boast and advertise about this modem being the first to contain this McAfee software product hip hip horay congradulations to Arris simply bringing out a revenue generator.  

In my eyes modem owners should already have suitalbe computer and interent security sofware for protection. 

If they don't it's their own fault and it should not be Arris's duty or decision to make sure modem owners are protected. 

The new features you mention from what I have been able to determine is strictly a firmware which the McAfee sofware intergrates the enhanced features with a Mobile App to access these enhanced features.  If a consumer does not download the mobile app.  the new features do not exist  within the administrative portal of this modem.  Again, I will emphasize I had purchased this modem prior to Arris marketing sofware inclusion scheme. 

I will continue to state,  by forcing this sofware down my throat was a total bad business decision making process which Arris should have never forced any pre-existing modem owners with this update without first taking into considerations as to wether any of us pre-existing modem owners actually want this sofware.  It's quite obvious and simple I do not want this McAfee product.  ArrisTuska, was the SBG7580-AC modem broken with failed firmware? 

My guess is NO! and I highly doubt Arris would have pushed a complete firmware update had it not been for this new McAfee product which seems be pushed by Arris's through the marketing department with the interests of bringing revenue into your employeer's corporate executive's pockets.   I'll bet this modem is not going to be the hot product on the market with this McAfee sofware once consumer's who buy this modem come to realize the obstacle's encountered with this software which hinder's the freedom to navigate the internet or specific websites. 

Just to bring this to your attention.  This firmware McAfee is not an advance purchase subscription product it's a free forced product with an eventual subscription.   According to Arris product site this sofware is free for 3 years, Then what?  I have no clue what happens to the software after this 3 year period.      So, there is no ability to simply unsubscribe or opt out as you have indicated and this McAfee software DOES NOT disables or goes away.   

Enough said ...  This saga will continue until Arris and McAfee figures out a solution to this problem.

Posted by
Cable Expert

Message 32 of 56

This is a placeholder for a post that was moved to a secure location because it violates the forum guidelines (inappropriate or disruptive). http://forums.comcast.com/t5/Forum-Guidelines/Posting-Guidelines/td-p/866289

Posted by
New Poster

Message 33 of 56

I have been an Information Technology professional for 24 years and I have never seen anything like this before. Like others, I have purchased my router PRIOR to this collaboration between Arris and McAfee so this security software was NOT a factor in my purchasing the product. Nor was I asked if I wanted to acquire it after my purchase... which I would have declined. My router was "updated" (i.e. hijacked) over a week ago and a quick search online revealed what was going on.

Since there seemed no way to reverse this update, I tried to utilize my years of Network/Systems Administration experience to minimize the damage. I attempted to turn off whatever I could. Turns out, you really can't. I installed the app on my smartphone (another extremely odd decision on their part... you can't control your router's "security" unless you download a PHONE APP??????? Unbelieveable!)

I just contacted Arris tonight to have them take this garbage off my router and they had me perform a reset to factory defaults. So far, my phone is still being blocked on my home network, and my daughter's laptop still has parental controls enabled (a mistake I made in trying to make the best of the situation and give the phone app a try a couple days ago.)

There is only ONE fix to this problem. Arris has to go back to the original firmware and push it out to Comcast, and any other service provider they have this arrangement with. This will wipe out the current firmware and resolve the problem. Like DDSA I will be watching carefully for this to be resolved. I believe we will also need to inquire whether a class action lawsuit is viable in our situation. I might have someone I can ask. If anyone else finds out, please let us know.

Good luck everyone!

Tam_Reno

Posted by
Silver Problem Solver

Message 34 of 56

Tam_Reno wrote:

I believe we will also need to inquire whether a class action lawsuit is viable in our situation.

I seriously doubt you have any legal grounds here. As I posted earlier, the Comcast Residential Service Agreement basically said that you agree to any software updates that may add or remove features. I'm sure Arris/Motorola have something similar in their agreements too.

Posted by
New Poster

Message 35 of 56

I just had Arris Customer Support via chat remove the McAfee software and the flash screen went away. he said that it should not be reinstalled but if so, to contact them again. 

Posted by
New Poster

Message 36 of 56

I bought a ARRIS SBG7580AC and activated it about 3 days ago. Within one day I encountered the McAfee problem. A google search brought me to this forum. I have been reading the posts on this forum and I must commend everyone for their tenacity and patience in dealing with the three companies responsible for this problem. There is enough blame to go around, but primarily, ARRIS is main culprit. It was their decision to include a third party vendor (McAfee) for their security software and also to ask the broadband provider (Comcast) to force the third party software (or firmware if you wish) out to our private hardware. As a long time software engineer I am no longer surprised by this corporate behavior I should be, but I am not. As has been stated in a previous post, this is simply an attempt to track our internet access and sell it to marketing firms. I sincerely doubt that there will be any resolution to this problem because corporate revenue is involved. However, don't let my cynicism deter you from fighting the good fight. As for me, I'll move on to a different modem/router manufacturer and hope that they don't do the same thing. 

P.S. Any ARRIS rep reading this, I'll make sure to post whenever I can what a disruptable company you

are.       

Posted by
New Poster

Message 37 of 56

Day two of my attempt to fix my perfectly good router (before the update corrupted it.) I called the number listed on one of the posts above for Arris customer support and an extremely pleasant and accomodating lady looked into my problem. She managed to reverse the parental control lock on my daughter's laptop and claims all McAfee interference is removed from my router. I am still experiencing weirdness with my cell phone and a couple apps, but I cannot say with absolute certainty whether it is due to my router or not.

However, after my probing of how this update works, she confirmed what someone else above also was told... if the router is updated again, or reset to factory defaults, it will reinstall the McAfee software and we will have to call Arris to have it disabled again. This is unacceptable to me.

Since these updates must go through Comcast, I want to know what Comcast will do to ensure that AT NO TIME WILL MY ROUTER BE FORCE UPDATED WITH McAfee SOFTWARE AGAIN. If a new firmware update includes the ability for me to completely control, and turn off, the McAfee software functionaltiy that's fine with me, but ONLY if I have control over my device.

The ball is in Comcast's court now. What is Comcast's response?

Tam_Reno

Posted by
New Poster

Message 38 of 56

Just had the same problem this morning and thanks to your thread, I was able to call Arris this morning and have them disable mcafee. Took 24 minutes, but at least my modem works again, for now. 

Posted by
New Poster

Message 39 of 56

I have a question regarding performance. From what i've been reading on this thread, it doesnt look like anyone is having the additional issue that i am having which is buffering. Since this update, my speed test are clocking in at 200+ mb (That's what i pay for), and for some reason, my streaming services are buffering every  5 min. Is anyone else having this issue? 

Posted by
Authorized Vendor

Message 40 of 56

Want to reassure everyone that as long as their SBG7580-AC is on the current 9.1.103AA18 firmware version and they have the service disabled, it will not re-enable with subsequent firmware upgrades. 

Posted by
Authorized Vendor

Message 41 of 56

riverozacari wrote:

I have a question regarding performance. From what i've been reading on this thread, it doesnt look like anyone is having the additional issue that i am having which is buffering. Since this update, my speed test are clocking in at 200+ mb (That's what i pay for), and for some reason, my streaming services are buffering every  5 min. Is anyone else having this issue? 

I sent you a PM requesting some more information on this..  I want to check out your RF levels and service..

Posted by
Authorized Vendor

Message 42 of 56

Tam_Reno wrote:

However, after my probing of how this update works, she confirmed what someone else above also was told... if the router is updated again, or reset to factory defaults, it will reinstall the McAfee software and we will have to call Arris to have it disabled again. This is unacceptable to me.

This is not correct once you have the current 9.1.103AA18 firmware version and you have the service disabled, it will not re-enable with subsequent firmware upgrades.

Since these updates must go through Comcast, I want to know what Comcast will do to ensure that AT NO TIME WILL MY ROUTER BE FORCE UPDATED WITH McAfee SOFTWARE AGAIN. If a new firmware update includes the ability for me to completely control, and turn off, the McAfee software functionaltiy that's fine with me, but ONLY if I have control over my device.

We are working on correcting this so that the user can disable this feature without calling into the support center, so the user would have direct control over it..

Posted by
New Poster

Message 43 of 56

All of our devices are messed up. My Amazon Echoes (we have two) have been glitchy since the update. We also were randomly getting the congratulations page that, again, we could not surf around. We are just using our mobile service data or running a VPN until I have time to get new equipment. I don't have time to call in and deal with a run-around. We are just getting a new router.

Posted by
New Poster

Message 44 of 56

I own an Arris SBG7580-AC and I encountered this McAfee redirect page for the first time this week, the week of 7/31/17. I spoke to an Arris technical rep and he was very knowledgeable and was able to confirm much of what is stated in this thread. Namely the following:

Arris can disable the functionality of the McAfee Secure Home Platform software but they cannot remove it altogether. Once Arris disables the software, Comcast cannot override this change and re-enable it, even with a firmware update. However, doing a hardware reset of the modem will re-enable the McAfee software and Arris will have to disable it again. At this time, firmware revision 9.1.103AA18 does not have a way for the user/owner to control any of this. Arris says they are working on a firmware revision that will allow the user/owner to have control. I won’t know when this revision occurs on my modem unless I periodically check its firmware level.

Just a couple of observations. The 9.1.103AA18 firmware level on my router has a build date of 4/25/17 which is about one month beyond my purchase date. This means my router was updated without my knowledge or approval after I deployed it. However, I don’t know when my modem was actually updated. If it was back in April, I have seen no redirect problems all this time until this week. Arris says Comcast is in charge of modem push deployments, not Arris.

I believe the McAfee software has been there in a chip all along since the manufacture. The modem firmware either (1) allows Comcast to selectively trigger a redirect at their discretion or (2) has a vulnerability that allows website malware to selectively trigger a redirect. Arris has a high-level way to disable the software and apparently no one else has access to this override at the present time. A future Arris firmware update will allow the user/owner to have this same control.  

All of this is very bothering. We all know that search engines are collecting info about us. However, you do have control over what you search on. But new federal legislation allows ISPs to collect the same type of info that search engines do. If you use the Internet, you have no control over this.

Posted by
Official Employee

Message 45 of 56

riverozacari, shoot me a private message with your account address and full name so I can check out those speeds. 

Meanwhile, from Sharon28Clark: 

I just had Arris Customer Support via chat remove the McAfee software and the flash screen went away. he said that it should not be reinstalled but if so, to contact them again. 

Has anyone else tried this? This looks like the next best thing until we get an update from Arris. 

KenF

Community Icon

Community Icon
Community Icon
I am a Comcast Employee.
Posted by
New Poster

Message 46 of 56

I called Comcast Tech Support last night/early this morning and was told that Arris were the ones I needed to contact because they pushed the firmware update.

I called Arris today and after providing my modem model number, S/N,  and zip code the rep remotely disabled the McAfee security, and in turn the data mining. This took about 5-10 mnutes. After giving him the info, he "sent a signal" to my modem which was supposed to disable the security. I had to power cycle the modem and reboot my computer. Then after the modem powered on and booted up, I was able to access the internet again without being forcibly redirected to the spash page asking me to agree to the McAfee privacy terms.

To clarify, I asked the rep if he had pushed a new firmware update (my modem was still reconfiguing itself and I wasn't able to login to it), removed the McAfee secruity, or disabled it. He said he had "turned it off". He wasn't able to permanently disable it and said that Arris is currently working on a firmware update to push to ISP like Comcast, to push to us, to give us an option to turn off the McAfee feature. When I asked why there wasn't an option to "opt out" he said that while this is indeed a partnership between McAfee and Arris, "the implementation did not go over like they had planned". Seems somebody made a BIG mistake in forgetting to put an opt out option in....whoops. Man Frustrated

For any Comcast employees reading this, please tell your quality control department that they need to keep an eye out for mistakes in firmware like this before rubber stamping it and sending it out to consumers. This makes us very needlessly upset and angry at you. This is something you should've caught and said "oh, people don't have choice/control here. We should probably hold off on pushing this update. This datamining is likely to upset some of our customers". 

IMPORTANT EDIT! :

The Arris rep also told me that if I was to factory reset the modem, the McAfee security software would turn itself back on. So if you need to factory reset your modem, be prepared to make another call to Arris.

Posted by
Authorized Vendor

Message 47 of 56

Sgt_Engee wrote:

IMPORTANT EDIT! :

The Arris rep also told me that if I was to factory reset the modem, the McAfee security software would turn itself back on. So if you need to factory reset your modem, be prepared to make another call to Arris.

This is 100% not true..  And on Monday I will get with our ARRIS call center support and confirm they know the correct answer..  A factory reset on the modem will NOT affect the McAfee security update..  Feel free to ping me via PM if you have any questions..

Edited NOTE:  I am confirming this statement now, there was a little confusion on my part with "subsequent firmware upgrades” and “factory reset” once I have it confirmed I will reply with the correct answer to this..

POSTED a correction on this..

Posted by
New Poster

Message 48 of 56

This has been a frustrating issue.   I have an FCC Whitebox, which tests my internet connection for a variety of factors hourly and keeps detailed logs.   When my internet connection started showing all sorts of problems on July 20 (slow download/upload, packet losses, etc)  I had Comcast troubleshoot, had two techs out, and never once thought the Arris modem could be a problem.  But given how July 20 coincides with the firmware update, it is another variable to consider, and it has all become a bunch of finger pointing.

I have written mass-deployed firmware for years,  and this is not how you do it.  Arris did a factory reset, which got back the download speeds, but uploads remain dismal on average (sometimes back to historical average -- go figure!).   This thread is marked solved, but far from it.  I know I could never get away with calling it solved it was issue for my software.   

Posted by
Cable Expert

Message 49 of 56

rmoore920 wrote:

This thread is marked solved, but far from it.  I know I could never get away with calling it solved it was issue for my software.   

I marked it as "solved" because this is a help forum and customers are looking for an immediate solution to a problem. The "solved" designation allows them to find the current solution quickly. 

Community Icon
Community Icon
Community Icon

Posted by
Cable Expert

Message 50 of 56