Welcome to Xfinity Help & Support Forums
Find solutions, share knowledge, and get answers from customers and experts

New to the Community? Start here.

members

topics

Stellar Recovery

Regular Visitor

Stellar Recovery

In August of 2014 my wife and I sold our home in Florence, Massachusetts.  We discontinued our Comcast account (we probably should have just transferred it) and opened a new subscription, also with Comcast, at our new address just down the road a few miles in Northampton Massachusetts, where we still reside and remain subscribers. 

Some time later we were called by Comcast and asked to pay an outstanding amount due to unreturned equipment – which we in fact had returned, and produced a receipt for.  We were also asked for the remaining service balance, which, again, it was our contention had been paid back when we closed the account.  Both the receipt for the returned equipment and a copy of our bank statement showing payment to Comcast was produced at Comcast's request.   Eight months later, in March of 2015, I was asked to write a letter and again provide proof of a payment against that account and to fax it to a Comcast office (which I did). 

In July of 2016 I received a random phone call from someone that was rude and hostile, purporting to be from a “collection” agency claiming to represent Comcast and would I please pay nearly $300:  That instant. 

I informed them I believed they were mistaken and that I would have to check my records and verify with Comcast before agreeing to pay anything.  Their response was:  “So you are refusing to pay?”   I told them “No, I am not refusing to pay, I am refuting the debt in the first place.  I’m not simply going to shell out $300 because a complete stranger calls me and demands it.”

I assumed it was “spam” or a scammer. 

Two months after that we see a Collection Account on our credit report, attributed to Comcast through this collection agency “Stellar Recovery, Inc.”    

The day we discovered it my wife contacted this collection agency directly and, unbeknownst to me, in a fit of frustration simply paid the bill of $298.00 in order to have done with it.

I believe that we paid our bill to Comcast back in August of 2014, but it would seem that between sending the payment that account had been closed and when the payment finally arrived at Comcast had no where to be accounted for and was simply lost between the cracks. I have documented this payment multiple times.  I don't think it should have ever gone to collection in the first place, but having mistakenly gone to collection has now been paid again.

I believe that my payment in August of 2014 was never accounted for.  It appears that my documentation of that payment provided to Comcast first in March of 2015, and on two other occasions since then, was likewise never accounted for.  Finally, even if I am 100% wrong about all of this … could I have opened a new account with an outstanding balance from a previous account?  An account just 2 miles up the road from my previous address?  If I truly owed this money, it's not as though I was difficult to find. 

This is damaging our credit score, I would like to try to correct it if at possible.  I don't believe there is anything nefarious at work here, just the result of a large beauracracy run amok. 

Official Employee

Re: Stellar Recovery

Hi JWitmer,

I can help address your billing concerns. I'd like to review your account's and see how we can make this right. When you do start a new account, even if transferred, and there is a balance on the old account, that balance will just be transferred to the new account. I can verify exactly what happened.

Please send me a private message verifying the first and last name of the account holder, phone number, and the street address or the full account number associated with your services. To send a private message click on my name "ComcastChe", then click private message me. 

Community Icon
I am an Official Comcast Employee.
Official Employees are from multiple teams within Comcast: Product, Support, Leadership.
We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit from the conversation.
Was your question answered? Mark a Best Answer!solution Icon
Community Icon
I am an Offical Comcast Employee.
Official Employees are from multiple teams within Comcast.
We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit.
Was your question answered? Mark a Best Answer!solution Icon
Community Icon
I am a Comcast Employee.
Please post so people with similar questions may benefit.
Was your question answered?
Mark a Best Answer!solution Icon

Xfinity Forum Archive
About the archive project

Xfinity Forum Archive...

This is an archived section of the community.

Content in this area has been identified as outdated or irrelevant.

This change was done in an effort to make the forum easier to use and to keep only the most helpful and recent content active.

Post your questions in the Xfinity Community

Discussion stats
  • 1 reply
  • 0 kudos
  • 2 in conversation