Xfinity plant
Xfinity globe
Community Forum

Pixelated and disrupted signal.

Frequent Visitor

Pixelated and disrupted signal.

This issue was posted about a year ago, but didn't seem to have a resolution. I frequently am getting a pixelated signal when watching certain channels. Not only is the video disrupted but the sound also is bad in spots. It has totally ruined watching many of our favorite programs. This is not consistent and we can go for days with no problem.

Our solution is to record these same programs,  then everything seems to be okay, but this is very inconvienent and we shouldn't have to do this.

This happens with two differenent cable boxes. (Both are Motorola). I have tried unpugging the boxes and repluging (Comcasts suggestion) but that doesn't work.

Channel 109 which is the local PBS station here in Seattle seems to be the worst offender. It also happens to be one of our favorite stations. This is an HD station and when it is not pixelating the picture is as sharp as one could hope for.

I do have a signal amplifier in line, which comcast installed. As I said I called about this a few months ago and they told me to uplug the box. They seemed to think that I am very stupid for having this problem.

Expert

Re: Pixelated and disrupted signal.

This could be caused by a weak signal, which can affect only certain channels. Check the connections to the cable box, especially the incoming coax, and eliminate any unnecessary splitters.

To check signal strength with a Motorola box, tune to the offending channel, turn off the box with the remote, then within two seconds hit "OK/Select." This will bring up the diagnostics screen. Select "Inband Status" (probably page d04) and look for "SNR" for the tuner(s). This value should be in the mid to upper 30s.

It also may be a weak signal caused by problems outside your house, in which case a call to 1-800-COMCAST to have them send out a tech to check on it may be of benefit.

(I live in Bellevue, and KCTS-HD has a strong signal here.)

Frequent Visitor

So I did this test and the results were;

For the box in my den the tuners were  between 34.5 to 36 listed as good.

and for the bedroom the tuners were - one tuner was 34.5 (good) and the other was 32.5 and was listed as fair. (of course these numbers were fluctuating slightly).

This makes a bit of sense since the line to the bedroom is farther from the line in. It is also the set where we have noticed the problem the most.

At the time that I did this test, I didn't notice any pixelation. As a matter of history, After we got our first HD set the signal didn't seem all that sharp and Comcast came and replaced the line from the pole to the house. The Comcast guy said that a couple of my cables weren't sheilded so I have replace all cables in the house with RG-6 cables with custom lengths from Blue Jeans Cables. Once this was done - last summer - the pictures on both sets were extremely sharp to my old eyes -- Except for this pixelation problem. When this problem happens it is bad enough to ruin which ever show we are watching.

Expert

Those numbers aren't too bad.  See if you can get a reading for 109 when it's having the problem.

Expert

KOMO (104) is one of the channels Comcast packs into the same QAM frequency as KCTS.  How is it for you?

82-1     KCTS     PBS               HD  109
     82-2     KCTS     V-me                  119
     82-3     KCTS     Create                112
     82-4     KOMO    ABC               HD  104
     82-5     KOMO   This TV           WS  114

Frequent Visitor

These values apparently change throughout the day. Last night on our main set we had some moderate pixelation on channel 109 and the values had dropped to just below 30 for both tuners.

Now this AM, I am in my den and I am getting pixelation on both 104 and 109. However, 109 shows values of 34-35 on both tuners while 104 shows values of 29.4 on one tuner and 36.2 on the other tuner.

Is it normal for values to change during the day? Or for the values to be different for each tuner?

If I ever added cable modem to my service would this make it worse?

BTW - I really appreciate your feedback.  thanx dk

New Poster

I have been experiencing the same problem for over a year. I absolutely love when they ask me to unplug my box and plug it back in like I'm 3 years old. We had a technician out about a year ago who actually admitted a problem with the signal going into my neighborhood. He stated that the "engineers" would be handling the problem. Of course it was never resolved because we are continuing to have issues. The best part is that there is no record of the technition even finding the issue or having the issue fixed. Comcast doesn't want to look bad. They come to our house and tell us that our splitter is bad(even though it's a splitter from the last Comcast tech) or a wire in the hub outside was bent. Such a load of bull and I am stupid enought to keep paying them.