Welcome to Xfinity Help & Support Forums
Find solutions, share knowledge, and get answers from customers and experts

New to the Community? Start here.

members

topics

Owned my own modem for years - Just received letter from Comcast about charging $11.00 / month

Frequent Visitor

Owned my own modem for years - Just received letter from Comcast about charging $11.00 / month

Owned my own modem for years - Just received letter from Comcast about charging $11.00 / month:

Anybody have Mr. Lopez email address?  I just talked with Comcast Support and they don't know why I received this letter.

------------------------------------

August 28th, 2017

Dear customer,

We made a mistake - we haven't been charging you for your XFINITY Internet/Voice Equipment Rental, which is $11.00* per month.

Sincerely,

Rodrigo Lopez

Regional Senior Vice President, Oregon and SW Washington.

Valued Contributor

Re: Owned my own modem for years - Just received letter from Comcast about charging $11.00 / month

Is it asking you to pay what you supposedly owe by cash, Western Union, or gift cards, or any method not directed through official Comcast stores or online? Because is sure as heck sounds like a scam. 

Bronze Problem Solver

Re: Owned my own modem for years - Just received letter from Comcast about charging $11.00 / month

Likely an automated letter generated by an audit.  It's happened to me three years running now. Comcast's Escallation Team tells me  that CSRs can change the rental fee, but not the equipment code, which is supposed to be done by a different department.  And apparently, this often isn't done, so the next audit automatically triggers "the letter".  But then, I was told the same thing the past couple of times.  I think something or someone is changing the equipment code back to Comcast owned.  When you call, insist that this time the equipment code gets changed to customer owned.

Frequent Visitor

My bill has said the following for over four years:

"Owned Modem - Charge: $0.00"

but somewhere down deep in the account, (not the billing statement), they still had listed in their system a rented modem prior to four years ago of uninterrupted service since I purchased my own modem.  Quite a scam of a mistake, (double-mistake, actually), and even Comcast's mistakes always benefits Comcast.

Official Employee

Hello, ccast123. I can help review your account for the modem rental charge and make sure your device is correctly associated with your account in our system. Please send me a private message with your full name, address, phone number, as well as your modem's make, model, MAC address, and serial number information so I can assist. To send me a private message click my name, ComcastMax, and then click Private Message Me.

Community Icon
I am an Official Comcast Employee.
Official Employees are from multiple teams within Comcast: Product, Support, Leadership.
We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit from the conversation.
Was your question answered? Mark a Best Answer!solution Icon
Community Icon
I am an Offical Comcast Employee.
Official Employees are from multiple teams within Comcast.
We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit.
Was your question answered? Mark a Best Answer!solution Icon
Community Icon
I am a Comcast Employee.
Please post so people with similar questions may benefit.
Was your question answered?
Mark a Best Answer!solution Icon

Xfinity Forum Archive
About the archive project

Xfinity Forum Archive...

This is an archived section of the community.

Content in this area has been identified as outdated or irrelevant.

This change was done in an effort to make the forum easier to use and to keep only the most helpful and recent content active.

Post your questions in the Xfinity Community

Discussion stats
  • 4 replies
  • 1 kudo
  • 4 in conversation