Welcome to Xfinity Help & Support Forums
Find solutions, share knowledge, and get answers from customers and experts

New to the Community? Start here.

members

topics

I am being charged a rental fee $10 / month for a Modem/Router/Voice I bought from Ebay. Please Help

Frequent Visitor

I am being charged a rental fee $10 / month for a Modem/Router/Voice I bought from Ebay. Please Help

I just bought a ARRIS Xfinity / COMCAST DPC3939 / XB3 WIRELESS Voice Gateway Modem Router Docsis 3.0 and having been a Optimum Customer (NY Cable) for years Xfinity is new to me. Even though I bought it from Ebay, own it, Xfinity says they never stop owning their products so they are charging me the same $10 rental fee they would if I used the brand new one the technician brought. Can you shine some light on this for me? I bought it for $40 off Ebay used, I own it, and they are charging me $10 a month for it. How do I nip this in the bud?

He then suggested two other Arris's and a NetGear that includes all 3 features Voice, High Speeds, Router and Modem which are all over $200. I know I can find a cheap Cable Modem/Voice and use an old Router of mine but I want the capability of the 200mbps if need be.

It seems unless I speak to their "Advanced Teams" or their "Tier 3" teams everyone else is poorly educated. I never had these issues or Rental Fees with other Cable Companies.

Please help!!!

Problem Solver

Re: I am being charged a rental fee $10 / month for a Modem/Router/Voice I bought from Ebay. Please

Do you mean the Cisco DPC3939?!The 3939 as far as I know is not available retail and that gateway is likely to be stolen from Comcast which is probably why you’re being charged for it. Only Comcast gateway available retail is the Arris TG862G. Comcast owns all other wireless gateways they give out. My biggest recommendation: don’t buy modems from Ebay. Either go to a physical store like Best Buy. Or if you go an online route, go to Amazon but only trust ones sold and shipped by Amazon themselves along with direct from manufacturer. I would force the seller to return your money and even report the seller to Ebay.
Frequent Visitor

Re: I am being charged a rental fee $10 / month for a Modem/Router/Voice I bought from Ebay. Please

Bless you for replying. This was the item I bought  off Ebay # 162721240255 and yes it's the COMCAST DPC3939

#  162721240255

I paid $40 with Shipping for a 3 in one which I was told was a heck of a deal. But since it's an Xfinity modem they claim they own them forever? I figured if someone found this say ripping down a house, the old home-owner was billed $100's for not returning it and than it's free to use, perhaps like the guy who sold it to me. Did I get ripped off or sold a stolen product?

I have been an ebay veteran for 20 years so I am not worried about getting my money back.

The Comcast - Arris TM722G/CT Docsis 3.0 Internet and voice modem supports these new 200mbps speeds and is the Modem and Voice I need. Its $20 on ebay. Then I would just have to find an old Net Gear Router laying around the house right? The Arris TG862G seems to be the same thing around $30 and my guess is it's the same technology? 

I would like to keep the set up I have as it's one piece of equipment and top of the line.

You seem knowledgeable any help would be so greatly appreciated. The one's they refer you to the 3 in 1's The Arris SVG-2482 & TG862R and Netgear C7100 are all $200 even used. That's insane.

Please keep helping me I am desperate. I never had this issue with Cablevision Optimum in NY
Problem Solver

When it’s $20 I call that the too good to be true area of pricing. I’m not completely sure how it goes when people don’t return the equipment. It is possible that you might have got a stolen product since that gateway is not supposed to be on retail at all. As I’ve said the only gateway they sell retail is the Arris TG862G.

The 3939 has dual band while the 862 only has 2.4GHz. However the 3939 doesn’t have 802.11ac protocol. You would have a better time with SVG-2482 and the Netgear C7100V as even though they are the same in DOCSIS channel bonding, these two have 802.11ac protocol. As long as your area allows you to have your own voice equipment for use with their service you should be fine. To verify that I would go to a nearby service center and they should be able to tell you. However, you’d be better off going new route being recommended since of its brand new than you know it was never activated though anyone so that you would know that you shouldn’t have an issue.
Frequent Visitor

Small correction I paid I paid $40 delivered for the ARRIS Xfinity / COMCAST DPC3939 / XB3 .

Is 5.0 GHZ that much faster than 2.4 GHZ? When it comes to Wifi? My Delld630 Laptop can't even handle and doesn't find the 5.0 Signal on the modem right now, only the 2.4 ghz one.  I was told if I bought a "ac usb wifi" for $10 on ebay, I could pick up both Signals or eventually when I can afford a new Laptop. The Smart Phones my friends and family have pick up the 5.0ghz Hot Spot while my 15 year old Laptop does not. So this modem definetley has the 5.0 ghz. 

What is 802.11ac protocol? Its the 5.0 Ghz right? The ARRIS Xfinity / COMCAST DPC3939 / XB3  that I bought on Ebay (for $40) that you said is Rented Equipment and Xfinity Owned definetley has 5.0ghz aka 802.11ac as he set up two networks one for 2.4 and one for 5.0ghz. 

If I want to buy from people who have bought the following modems from BestBuy, I would assume the Arris TM722G/CT Docsis 3.0 & Arris TG862G are the same the later just being a bit newer? Older Modems that can Handle the 100mbps that my laptop can't even process on Wifi and it has the Telephone Jacks which I need for my landline. These are all selling for $25 shipped on Ebay with a battery. I would then just hook up a 4-5 year old Linksys Router laying around somewhere.

The Netgear and SVG-2482 I can't afford, it's $200 and too expensive. 

I really don't know what to do. We have maybe 1 laptop in the house, 1 or 2 firesticks and at any given time one smart phone connected to the Internet. I am currently on there 25mbps speed. It's $10 more for 100 and $13 for 200mb but it seems my computer can't even handle it. 

What is the smartest, cheapest decision, bottom line? 

Sorry if this is redundant I used to be very tech Savy but was over-seas and this is all new to me!

Problem Solver

Would you rather want to own your modem completely or pay rental?

If you say own completely, I would fight for the money back and get that gateway back to Comcast and then buy your own. These $25 modems I can’t guarentee that you won’t have a problem with those.

If you say rent, I would still fight for your money back and then swap the gateway for a newer model.
Frequent Visitor

I want to own hence I bought the modem off ebay. $120/yr for a Modem is obsurd. But I also want to know if I really need more than the 25mbps and all this new 5.0ghz/200mb Speeds when 5 years ago I had this same laptop and even though we had Optimum NY Cable and had 100mb I realized my Wifi was only capable of 25 which is about 17 and it worked fine. 

I will get a refund via Ebay, on this Xfinity Top of the Line Modem if they refuse to stop charging me $10 a month because I am paying for a Top of the Line Modem and all the bells and whistles, while not having any bells and whistles lol. 

The $25 modems are just older ones people bought from best buy that are Docsis 3.0 Technology, with Phone Jacks which I need and will work. Just like an old Linksys Router will work. "Docsis 3.0 Wireless " just means it can handle those 1,2,300mbps speeds if I ever need right? 

I think I am still someone who a basic Modem/Router Set up will work for. Even the Model Modems I gave you have the Docsis 3.0 which if I ever get a new laptop and buy the Speedburst will work for those speeds. Do you get that impression?

The only thing they don't have is a 5.0ghz network, is that really necessary?? Can you explain a little in laments terms then I won't bother you anymore.

Thanks for sticking with me.

Problem Solver

Hopefully this explanation works. I don’t Comcast will stop charging the $10/month until they get it back in their possession themselves. I would fight them over and say it’s stolen property of Comcast that was possibly being resold. Based on what you said I think your 25Mbps should be sufficient. You have to be careful though because you would have to pay attention to channel bonding as well where you need enough channels on the modem to deliver your speed. For example, for a 200Mbps plan you would need at least an 8x4 bonded modem/gateway to be able to accommodate that. Obviously higher is better with the 32x8 bonding where if Comcast adds more channels and/or you uprgrade your modem would handle it. As I’ve said based on what you described, I believe your 25Mbps plan should be fine. You don’t necessarily need 5GHz. You just won’t be able to get higher speeds over Wi-Fi. Like this comparison, I have the 200/10 plan with a dual band gateway of Comcast property. I also have a dual band smartphone. 2.4 I would get roughly 100 Mbps. While on 5 I would get 240 Mbps. Also bear this in mind, lower frequency is better for range but not so much on the speed side while even though higher frequency such as 5 isn’t as good range as 2.4 but it can deliver higher throughput.
Service Expert

First caveat.....stay away from eBay when buying anything at a very reduced price.  That can't be said enough times.  Just don't do it.  At some point you will get burned badly.  Be wary.  Be very wary when it comes to eBay.

As for the current modem in question, have you called and talked with Comcast and asked why you're being charged for a modem you own?  Most of the time a modem bought on eBay that was a Comcast owned modem can't be activated because it was never removed from a customer's account.  I would actually venture to say that this was a previously customer owned modem and was removed from their account and it was successfully activated to your account.  Are you seeing this modem registered on your Account page?  If so, it may be that you will have to get the charge removed because it was entered incorrectly.  Did you print your receipt and did you keep the shipping info?

We all want to save as many pennies in our bank account as possible.  With as quickly as technology changes it hard to stay on top of things, especially when those "things" increase in price exponentially when our income doesn't. 

Community Icon
I am not a Comcast employee, I am a paying customer just like you!
I am an XFINITY Forum Expert and I am here to help. For information on the program click here.
We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit from the conversation.
Was your question answered? Mark a Best Answer!solution Icon
Community Icon
I am not a Comcast employee. I am a paying customer just like you!
I am an XFINITY Forum Expert and I am here to help.
We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit.
Community Icon
I am not a Comcast employee.

Was your question answered?
Mark an Answer!solution Icon

Problem Solver

Again wrote:

First caveat.....stay away from eBay when buying anything at a very reduced price.  That can't be said enough times.  Just don't do it.  At some point you will get burned badly.  Be wary.  Be very wary when it comes to eBay.

As for the current modem in question, have you called and talked with Comcast and asked why you're being charged for a modem you own?  Most of the time a modem bought on eBay that was a Comcast owned modem can't be activated because it was never removed from a customer's account.  I would actually venture to say that this was a previously customer owned modem and was removed from their account and it was successfully activated to your account.  Are you seeing this modem registered on your Account page?  If so, it may be that you will have to get the charge removed because it was entered incorrectly.  Did you print your receipt and did you keep the shipping info?

We all want to save as many pennies in our bank account as possible.  With as quickly as technology changes it hard to stay on top of things, especially when those "things" increase in price exponentially when our income doesn't. 

For a Cisco 3939?

Frequent Visitor

Hard to believe my Ebay account just turned 20 years old. So I understand the Risk and have done quite well with Ebay. I happened to catch an EX Employee who just told me I need to speak to someone with knowledge over there. "You have your eBay record as a bill of sale. They can't charge you rental on an item they don't own. Ask for a supervisor and express your disappointment in there customer service. I used to work there. This is how they drive revenue."

I needed an Advanced Repair Team from the Tech Department to take Call Waiting off my Package, it was nuts. I also have been promised calls back from the Tier 2 Billing ect. These people truly have very little idea what they are doing, but only game in town.

The sad part is its a mier $10 but it adds up over the time and what's to say as I said before this guy who has sold over 100 on Ebay doesn't renovate houses and these are leave behinds the Xfinity already billed the old home-owner the full retail price and he as a construction worker just sells them. 

So far my experience with XFinity has been total incompetance until I reach the right department. 

Frequent Visitor

Just in case a friend of mine gave me his Comcast - Arris TM722G/CT Docsis 3.0 that he bought from Best-Buy a few years back. It has the Telephone Ports and I just need a router which I have.

I appreciate you guys and all your help devoting this time is truly a blessing to receive. I think when I get a Laptop (it doesn't make sense to keep putting $10 for a USB Toggle/ parts here and there, and other repairs) that is updated with the times I will upgrade to their 200mb or at least 100mb plan. The modem I have now if I get someone to realize that I am using my Modem - "even if previously theirs" (registered by serial # on my account and viewable on xfinity.com) the one I bought, not the one that came in the truck, I will be prepared for a future computer upgrade. 

The people who were so eager to get my business told me anything I wanted to hear which were all lies. They said they would put a Modem on the Truck just in case mine didn't work (which I verified when I bought it from Ebay via Chat Xfinity gave them the Serial # ect and they told me it will be fine), to look out for me and I think it's a matter that they are that slow, that they think he may have used the new modem despite it being different confirmable serial #s and him turning it in that evening. It's sickening the time we waste on this!

Gold Problem Solver

reneejk wrote: ... TM722G/CT ... I will upgrade to their 200mb or at least 100mb plan. ...

Comcast rates the TM722 for a max of 100Mbps. See https://mydeviceinfo.xfinity.com/device/arris-tm722g-405

Frequent Visitor

Good info. Hopefully they just fix this situation. I got a number from an ex-employee to call that should rectify this. The TM722 is 100mbps (lucky it was free and it from best-buy and has the phone ports I need. Amazing the TG862G which looks almost identical is 199mbps.

Frequent Visitor

The Item # I bought from states:

NOTE :THIS IS EQUIPMENT PEOPLE LEAVE BEHIND WHEN THEY MOVE FROM THE BUILDING I OWN IF YOU NEED ANY INFO LIKE MAC# model# SEND ME A TEXT AND ILL PROVIDE YOU WITH EVERYTHING YOU NEED,EVERY DEVICE IS TESTED AND THEY ALL IN PERFECT WORKING CONDITIONS THANKS. Include power cord and kat 5 cable

eBay item number:

I am hopeful I will resolve this tonight and can keep the same piece of equipment.
Frequent Visitor

The Modems Title on Ebay was

ARRIS Xfinity / COMCAST DPC3939 / XB3 WIRELESS Voice Gateway Modem Router

With no mention of it being an Xfinity modem except in the pictures. Perhaps that was just another Keyword DPC3939?

When I log into my Xfinity account they call it a 

"Voice and Data Modem"

ARRIS TG1682G

Frequent Visitor

UPDATE:

I called a Special # with a Special # Id #

He gave me a $20 Credit for the headache aside from anything (I've had the service for 2 weeks $5 of the $10 modem rental) so that's a free $15 credit and they opened up a ticket # to due further investigation as it appears the Tech out of lazyness and him being late may have registered the modem he brought's info onto my modem. The  WanMac (which is called a serial #) on xfinitty.com under my devices was off 1 # than my Modem in my office and I also gave them the serial # which says s/n on the modem. 

So he said Credit today in the next 4-5 hrs and they will call me back if anything else is needed.

I think (and I have googled and see a dozen companies "usedcablemodems.com", amazon, ebay selling this specific Modem "ARRIS TG1682G" and I think it's because they use it as their main modem for people who lease that's also some of the confusion.

Hoping I made progress.
Gold Problem Solver

reneejk wrote: ... DPC3939 ... ARRIS TG1682G ...

Neither of these modem/wifi router/eMTA devices are listed as approved for customer purchase at retail on either https://mydeviceinfo.xfinity.com/ or the older http://mydeviceinfo.g.comcast.net/.

As best I can tell the Arris SVG2482AC, TG862G, TG862R, and the Netgear C7100V are the only gateway devices approved for retail purchase.

Official Employee

Hi @reneejk. I can assist with providing you an update on your equipment research ticket that was submitted, if you need. Please send me a private message and include your full name, service address, and account number if you need further support. 

I see the link for Comcast approved equipment has already been provided, but for more information, please see: https://www.xfinity.com/support/internet/list-of-approved-cable-modems/

Community Icon
I am an Official Comcast Employee.
Official Employees are from multiple teams within Comcast: Product, Support, Leadership.
We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit from the conversation.
Community Icon
I am an Offical Comcast Employee.
Official Employees are from multiple teams within Comcast.
We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit.
Community Icon
I am a Comcast Employee.
Please post so people with similar questions may benefit.
Was your question answered?
Mark a Best Answer!solution Icon

Service Expert
Moved:

Someone please help a very upset customer, explaining if I am being treated fair! I am desperate.

Please do not post the contents of a private message without permission of the person you were in a PM with.

Xfinity Forum Archive
About the archive project

Xfinity Forum Archive...

This is an archived section of the community.

Content in this area has been identified as outdated or irrelevant.

This change was done in an effort to make the forum easier to use and to keep only the most helpful and recent content active.

Post your questions in the Xfinity Community

Discussion stats
  • 19 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 5 in conversation