Welcome to Xfinity Help & Support Forums
Find solutions, share knowledge, and get answers from customers and experts

New to the Community? Start here.

members

topics

How to avoid Termination Fees

New Poster

How to avoid Termination Fees

Appears I've have found the loophole to eliminate termination fees and 2-year commitments - the irony was I was trying to comply by the rules.

I was 7 months into my new 2-year agreement of Double Play bundle, for 140 channels and Performance Pro Internet (100/5). At signing up was told (and in writing), that I could go down to 1 service during the 2-year period to remain compliant in the promo and  avoid a termination fee that started at $240 and decreased $10 a month.

Recently reviewed our usage of TV and bill ( $49.90 a month for e broadcast fees, and 2 boxes (only 1 DVR) = 1/3 of total bill). Review our viewing habits and found options to stream. Called customer service about my bill on 11/27 8:06pm to see the cost of my bill if went to just keeping our Performance Pro Internet Only. Told it would be 59.95 and without asking, was told by her that doing this would avoid the termiantion fee because I was maintaining 1 service per terms of 2-year commitment.

Take the boxes to Xfinity Store, one person checks those in and sends me across the store to see another, who then asks what I'm looking to do today. Huh? Explained dropped the boxes, implying my cable is to be removed but want to keep my internet as is, which is Performance Pro. She started having trouble on her system. Another came over to talk to me about pricing for Blast.  

Explained my call to customer service, promo (even pulled up the PDF of last bill to review with them I was keeping Performance Pro) and said I could do this without breaking the contract and incuring a termination fee as I would be maintainnig my 1 service uninterrupted. Then informed if I was aware I'd be paying almost the same for just Internet and should keep the TV. Asked how that is when told $59.95 by customer service in reviewing my bill BEFORE I came to the store so I was prepared and informed on my decision to not incur fees.

It was explained to me that by returning the boxes and removing cable, I was no longer under the promotion and the current rate for internet is $74.95 plus $10 for modem. Explained I had my own modem, then was told there is a $10 upcharge for Performance Pro, so still got to total $85. I asked about the $59.95, they said it was promotional rate and not longer under promotion since I turned in my boxes 10 minutes ago. I became concerned about my termination fee, which was quoted at $170 over the phone because had 17 months left. The rep at the store said that there will not be a termination fee, as keeping 1 product per the agreement. Then I asked if I was entering a new contract, and after looking at systems, said no contract but I'm paying the current a la carte rate, which is $85 for Performance Pro Internet and there is no contract.

Asked if I could terminate anytime without termination fee, and was told I could since I was "signing up for the a la carte rate with new agreement, there is no contract". THAT IS WHAT MADE ME FURIOUS. This is like Wells Fargo in hitting new account quotas. I wasn't there to sign up for a new service, had 2 services in a bundle and removing one, keeping the other per Xfinity's terms and conditions to avoid their stipulated penalties. I came into Xfinity store knowledgable of my terms/conditions of the current 2-year contact and I looked to uphold by acting accordingly. 

Instead, I'm forced to walk out with a new agreement (for same internet service had walking in) at $85 a month, not the $59.95 explained on the phone by billing to remain compliant in my current 2-year bundle. I was told I won't get the $170 termination fee. Furthermore, I'm now a la carte and no contract. I've been told and reinterted on support chat can terminate anytime without penalty or fee at anytime. 

So for those in 2-year agreement bundles and worried about your termination fee - simple way to avoid:

1. Return equipment to store, but keep internet to be compliant to avoid fee.

2. Without asking (and even against your wishes), they will move your internet service to a new account agreement.

3. New account agreement is a la carte, so while they upsold you to current rate - there's not temrination fee.

4. You can freely terminate at anytime.

5. Before terminating though, make sure book Fios ahead of time - as the backlog in my area was 17 days. 

Sincerely, 

2003 customer of Comcast Internet & TV (but not a 15th year). 

Xfinity Forum Archive
About the archive project

Xfinity Forum Archive...

This is an archived section of the community.

Content in this area has been identified as outdated or irrelevant.

This change was done in an effort to make the forum easier to use and to keep only the most helpful and recent content active.

Post your questions in the Xfinity Community

Discussion stats
  • 0 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 1 in conversation