Welcome to Xfinity Help & Support Forums
Find solutions, share knowledge, and get answers from customers and experts

New to the Community? Start here.

members

topics

Days covered by billing

New Poster

Days covered by billing

At the top of my Xfinity statement is this "Services from Oct 07, 2017 to Nov 06, 2017"

When I check my internet usage, it looks like it is a calendar month.  

Is the total internet usage calculated by the date range shown (above) on my statement or based on the calendar month (October 1 to 31)?

Gold Problem Solver

Re: Days covered by billing

Usage is measured over a calendar month. The Usage Meter resets on the last day of each month at 24:00 UTC.

When      Standard      time is in effect, that's 7PM Eastern, 6PM Central, 5PM Mountain, and 4PM Pacific.
When Daylight Saving time is in effect,   it's   8PM Eastern, 7PM Central, 6PM Mountain, and 5PM Pacific.

New Poster

Read my original question more carefully as I was explicit with the wording but your answer only addressed when the usage was reset.  I want to know if the billing statement is for the calendar month or the actual billing period.  For example, at the end of October (reading the usage on Nov 1) my usage was about 980GB.  But if the usage is billed on Nov 6, does that mean that there will be 6 fewer days from beginning of October not billed and the first 6 days of November included in the billing?

Second, why would you cut the last day of the month at a different time based on the time zone of the customer?  It would be much easier for the customer to know that the data is calculated as of midnight for the time zone they are in.  This practice sounds like data used in Mountain Time Zone at the end of the last day of the month is attributed to the first day of the following month so that the first day does not start at zero but instead it starts with whatever was used the end of that previous day.  Your billing computer can figure this out.  Make your programmers fix it.

Service Expert

RonT183 wrote:

Read my original question more carefully as I was explicit with the wording but your answer only addressed when the usage was reset.  I want to know if the billing statement is for the calendar month or the actual billing period.  For example, at the end of October (reading the usage on Nov 1) my usage was about 980GB.  But if the usage is billed on Nov 6, does that mean that there will be 6 fewer days from beginning of October not billed and the first 6 days of November included in the billing?

Second, why would you cut the last day of the month at a different time based on the time zone of the customer?  It would be much easier for the customer to know that the data is calculated as of midnight for the time zone they are in.  This practice sounds like data used in Mountain Time Zone at the end of the last day of the month is attributed to the first day of the following month so that the first day does not start at zero but instead it starts with whatever was used the end of that previous day.  Your billing computer can figure this out.  Make your programmers fix it.

BruceW is a customer, not an employee of Comcast.

He answered your question on the usage reset - it's based on UTC.  As for your billing statement it's based on your billing period, or when you started service.  I started my service on the 17th of the month, so my billing period is XXX 17- XXX 16.

Community Icon
I am not a Comcast employee, I am a paying customer just like you!
I am an XFINITY Forum Expert and I am here to help. For information on the program click here.
We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit from the conversation.
Was your question answered? Mark a Best Answer!solution Icon
Community Icon
I am not a Comcast employee. I am a paying customer just like you!
I am an XFINITY Forum Expert and I am here to help.
We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit.
Was your question answered? Mark a Best Answer!solution Icon
Community Icon
I am not a Comcast employee.

Was your question answered?
Mark an Answer!solution Icon

Gold Problem Solver

RonT183 wrote: Read my original question more carefully as I was explicit with the wording but your answer only addressed when the usage was reset. ...

Sorry to disappoint. As stated, I'm not Comcast. Also, I don't know of any documentation that addresses the timing of data overage billing, and I've never been billed for data usage myself, so I don't know how they time it.

... why would you cut the last day of the month at a different time based on the time zone of the customer? It would be much easier for the customer to know that the data is calculated as of midnight for the time zone they are in. ...

Makes good sense to me.

... This practice sounds like data used in Mountain Time Zone at the end of the last day of the month is attributed to the first day of the following month so that the first day does not start at zero but instead it starts with whatever was used the end of that previous day. ...

This is true for all four time zones.

... Your billing computer can figure this out. Make your programmers fix it.

As noted, not MY billing system. Presumably, Comcast chose this system because it makes the most money for them at the lowest cost. I'd be surprised if they change it. Despite their repeated claims of "customer focus", Comcast has always been, still is, and likely will continue to be, "profit focused".

Xfinity Forum Archive
About the archive project

Xfinity Forum Archive...

This is an archived section of the community.

Content in this area has been identified as outdated or irrelevant.

This change was done in an effort to make the forum easier to use and to keep only the most helpful and recent content active.

Post your questions in the Xfinity Community

Discussion stats
  • 4 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 3 in conversation