Welcome to Xfinity Help & Support Forums
Find solutions, share knowledge, and get answers from customers and experts

New to the Community? Start here.

members

topics

Comcast Billing for Refurb Cable Modem which they say they own without any proof of purchase request

Regular Visitor

Comcast Billing for Refurb Cable Modem which they say they own without any proof of purchase request

So I am stuck in a situation where I purchased an ARRIS TG862G telephony cable modem from a reputable online refurbisher (regionsupply.com) and was able to successfully activate it to my account back in December of 2016.  After months of having no issues with the modem I noticed that I had been getting billed the monthly rental fee for it and contacted support about the situation.  They stated they would escalate the issue and after a month and a half of no contact I had to call back and raise the issue again.  After two weeks I was contacted yesterday and was told that the cable modem was in Comcast's database so it was actually their cable modem and there was nothing they could do.  Meaning, according to Comcast, the $100 modem I purchased was theirs, I would still be charged the monthly fee, and they expect the modem back if and when I terminate services.

There was no proof of purchase requested, just that I had been scammed and sold a cable modem that had not been returned to Comcast.  When asked why Comcast wouldn't deactivate and not allow a lost modem from activating on their network the support person stated that they are unable to do this and I would need to purchase a modem from a big box seller if I actually wanted to own my own cable modem.  I fully see this as a predatory practice as the whole reason for purchasing a modem is that I wanted to reduce the cost of a service that is already costing me over $200 a month.  In my oppinion, this is a totally unacceptable way to treat a loyal customer because you would like to continue to bill me the additional $10 a month in rental fees as well as a slap in the face to eventually expect a legally purchased piece of equipment back.  I will continue to escalate this as necessary and Tweet to @comcastcares until the issue is resolved.  I have full documentation of the purchase.  Below is a message I received from RegionSupply which I do not blame for this issue.

"Thank you for forwarding the information.

We are a Telecom Supply house that buys, sells and services to most tier 1/2/3 providers both domestically and internationally. We buy most of our modems through major service providers channels in lots of 2,000+ at a time. We rely on them to re-set the modems from their database before they re-sell them to distributors/refurbishers like us.

Unfortunately, corners can be cut in their warehouses where some units of the thousands are not re-set as they should be by your provider.

For Comcast to allegedly say the modem is theirs after reselling it is very illegal, as it not only is Slander, Libel and Defamation, but really tries to make the whole industry look bad with predatory fraudulent business tactics.

The onus is on Comcast as the unit should have been properly processed when decommissioned and removed form their database before reselling. We have full documentation to confirm our position.

Comcast's leasing tactics are widely documented as well as their numerous run-ins/lawsuits with the FCC regarding this practice. Often times cable providers will make it frustrating for their customers to own their own modems as they would prefer to have them lease or purchase from them at a much higher price.

Your providers reps/techs stand to lose a commission if you own your own modem so they can tend to make it difficult.

It is recommended to specifically ask for their "Customer Solution Team" to fix the issue. Proof of purchase such as your PayPal order info will help show ownership of the unit when dealing with their "Customer Solution Team" to have the unit fully transferred to your account."

Cable Expert

Re: Comcast Billing for Refurb Cable Modem which they say they own without any proof of purchase req

You purchased stolen equipment. The remedy for that is to get a refund/replacement from the seller. If you want to own your own modem, buy a new one from a reputable retailer. 

Community Icon
I am not a Comcast employee, I am a paying customer just like you!
I am an XFINITY Forum Expert and I am here to help. For information on the program click here.
We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit from the conversation.
Was your question answered? Mark a Best Answer!solution Icon
Community Icon
I am not a Comcast employee. I am a paying customer just like you!
I am an XFINITY Forum Expert and I am here to help.
We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit.
Community Icon
I am not a Comcast employee.

Was your question answered?
Mark an Answer!solution Icon

Service Expert

Re: Comcast Billing for Refurb Cable Modem which they say they own without any proof of purchase req

Just adding.....it's not regionsupply.com per se, but from whomever they acquired the modem.  That person was renting the modem and never returned it to Comcast, so sold it to regionsupply as an owner modem.  regionsupply has no way of knowing if it was owned or rented, so really there isn't any slander involved.

Community Icon
I am an XFINITY Forum Expert and I am here to help. For information on the program click here.
We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit from the conversation.
Community Icon
Community Icon

Regular Visitor

You guys do realize that now said modem is associated to my account and even if I could return it for a refund Comcast would expect the modem back and charge me for the equipment?  So even if I were to concede that the modem was never returned by a previous customer and sold to RegionSupply, I'm to believe that Comcast didn't charge the previous renter the cost of the modem, didn't mark it as unreturned or stolen equipment in the system so if another customer were to attempt to activate the modem someone could notify the new customer that it was actually Comcast equipment? MAC address or serial not flagged?  So Comcast may have been paid or charged off the cost of the modem and now they're billing a previously happy customer the cost of the same equipment?  You know if someone stole my car and I put a claim in to the insurance company and they paid me off and then somehow I magically got my car back and didn't notify them it would be fraud right?

Regular Visitor

Is an actual Comcast employee going to assist?  Thank you.

Cable Expert

dominicankev wrote:

You guys do realize that now said modem is associated to my account and even if I could return it for a refund Comcast would expect the modem back and charge me for the equipment?  

Humm, good point. 

I've asked a Comcast employee to help you. You should expect a reply in this thread. 

Community Icon
Community Icon
Community Icon

Regular Visitor

Thanks nerdburg.  I really do appreciate your guys help, just frustrated at the situation.  Thanks again.

Official Employee

Hi dominicankev, I can research this modem further for you, could you please send me a private message with your account information (name on account, address and account number) along with the modems MAC.

Thank you

Community Icon
I am an Official Comcast Employee.
Official Employees are from multiple teams within Comcast: Product, Support, Leadership.
Community Icon
I am an Offical Comcast Employee.
Official Employees are from multiple teams within Comcast.
Community Icon
I am a Comcast Employee.
Please post so people with similar questions may benefit.
Mark a Best Answer!solution Icon

Xfinity Forum Archive
About the archive project

Xfinity Forum Archive...

This is an archived section of the community.

Content in this area has been identified as outdated or irrelevant.

This change was done in an effort to make the forum easier to use and to keep only the most helpful and recent content active.

Post your questions in the Xfinity Community

Discussion stats
  • 7 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 4 in conversation