Welcome to Xfinity Help & Support Forums
Find solutions, share knowledge, and get answers from customers and experts

New to the Community? Start here.

members

topics

Charged for my own modem

New Poster

Charged for my own modem

Like a lot of other threads that I've read, I'm being charged for my own modem.  I never rented any Comcast equipment, but I received a notice in the mail about 2 months after I started my service that the "mistake" in my bill for not charging for the modem would be fixed.

I spoke to two separate Comcast reps through the chat about how I'd been overcharged for two months for the equipment, and how my next bill looks like I will still be overcharged the $10.  "Action" was taken with credits being added to my account (so in theory it should be $20 credit for the two months of overcharging) plus my base rate would be adjusted so I would not have a $10 rental fee added.

Looking at my November bill - the base rate is the same inflated rate including equipment, but I have a $10 credit, which really only adjusts for the equipment that I'm not renting.  And I will still not have been reimbursed for the $20 in equipment I never rented.

I am more concerned that my base rate will still be that inflated rate in December and I will keep having to have this fight with representatives every month with a "credit" which covers part of the problem but doesn't fix it.

Official Employee

Re: Charged for my own modem

Hello ahrts1. I can review the equipment on your account and work to get the status or your modem corrected. Please send me a private message and include your full name, service address, and account number so I can assist you. 

Community Icon
I am an Official Comcast Employee.
Official Employees are from multiple teams within Comcast: Product, Support, Leadership.
We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit from the conversation.
Was your question answered? Mark a Best Answer!solution Icon
Community Icon
I am an Offical Comcast Employee.
Official Employees are from multiple teams within Comcast.
We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit.
Community Icon
I am a Comcast Employee.
Please post so people with similar questions may benefit.
Was your question answered?
Mark a Best Answer!solution Icon

Regular Visitor

I am also being charged for a modem that I bought over a year ago, which has been in operation with Comcast since then. Then in July of this year, Comcast decided to start charging me for a rental. I was told on a call last week that someone would be in contact, this has not happened. Not sure why this would happen when I worked with a tech to get my own modem operating on your network.

I have a few questions around this:

What is Comcast doing to determine that this modem is their property? Does the MAC and Serial address match what is in their inventory? I doubt it.

Does Comcast make is a habit to add "new services" to my bill with out any contact with me?

Why would the call rep I spoke to request that I "go to the nearest Comcast store to PROVE the modem is mine", shouldnt Comcast prove it is theirs?

Official Employee

Hello, and thank you for reaching out to us. I would be happy to assist you from here.Can you verify your account information with me? I would need your phone number, full name, and service address. You can private message me by clicking my name and clicking private message.

Community Icon
I am an Official Comcast Employee.
Official Employees are from multiple teams within Comcast: Product, Support, Leadership.
We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit from the conversation.
Community Icon
I am an Offical Comcast Employee.
Official Employees are from multiple teams within Comcast.
We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit.
Community Icon
I am a Comcast Employee.
Please post so people with similar questions may benefit.
Was your question answered?
Mark a Best Answer!solution Icon

Xfinity Forum Archive
About the archive project

Xfinity Forum Archive...

This is an archived section of the community.

Content in this area has been identified as outdated or irrelevant.

This change was done in an effort to make the forum easier to use and to keep only the most helpful and recent content active.

Post your questions in the Xfinity Community

Discussion stats
  • 3 replies
  • 1 kudo
  • 4 in conversation