Welcome to Xfinity Help & Support Forums
Find solutions, share knowledge, and get answers from customers and experts

New to the Community? Start here.

members

topics

Billing Increase for Regional Sports Fee and Broadcast TV Fee?

Frequent Visitor

Billing Increase for Regional Sports Fee and Broadcast TV Fee?

My bill increased from last month to this month and when I called I was told the Regional Sports Fee and the Broadcast TV Fee had both increased... really you're adding $12.00 to my bill for these 2 fees? First of all, I don't watch sports and had an issue with the RSF from the get go. I think it started out at $1.00 a month and I immediately called and requested it be removed. Now you're charging me $5.00 a month for a service I don't want or use? I think I'll call the FCC and see if this is legal to charge me for sports when I don't even like watching sports. And come on... $7.00 for a broadcast fee? I think it's about time to get a digital antenna, they don't have a broadcast fee, why do you? Your service is very expensive to begin with and all these fees are going to be the straw that broke the camel's back.

Official Employee

Re: Billing Increase for Regional Sports Fee and Broadcast TV Fee?

Hi litlqtpi2. I know this may be frustrating. Periodically, prices must be adjusted due to increases incurred in programming and other business costs. Adjustments are largely driven by programming costs, sports programming as well as the continued pressure for technological innovation and increased bandwidth.

The Regional Sports Fee is an itemized charge that recovers a portion of the costs of broadcasting multiple regional sports networks to our standard video services. The fee applies to XFINITY TV customers receiving Digital Starter and above, as well as Starter Latino TV/XFINITY TV 450 Latino service tier.

The Broadcast TV Fee is an itemized charge that recovers a portion of the costs of re-transmitting broadcast television signals. Broadcast stations have the right to charge for their signals, and cable provides like Comcast end up paying substantial fees in order to carry them.

Unfortunately, this is not something that we have the authority to remove from your bill. 

Community Icon
I am an Official Comcast Employee.
Official Employees are from multiple teams within Comcast: Product, Support, Leadership.
We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit from the conversation.
Was your question answered? Mark a Best Answer!solution Icon
Community Icon
I am an Offical Comcast Employee.
Official Employees are from multiple teams within Comcast.
We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit.
Community Icon
I am a Comcast Employee.
Please post so people with similar questions may benefit.
Was your question answered?
Mark a Best Answer!solution Icon

Contributor

ComcastChe wrote:

Hi litlqtpi2. I know this may be frustrating. Periodically, prices must be adjusted due to increases incurred in programming and other business costs. Adjustments are largely driven by programming costs, sports programming as well as the continued pressure for technological innovation and increased bandwidth.

The Regional Sports Fee is an itemized charge that recovers a portion of the costs of broadcasting multiple regional sports networks to our standard video services. The fee applies to XFINITY TV customers receiving Digital Starter and above, as well as Starter Latino TV/XFINITY TV 450 Latino service tier.

The Broadcast TV Fee is an itemized charge that recovers a portion of the costs of re-transmitting broadcast television signals. Broadcast stations have the right to charge for their signals, and cable provides like Comcast end up paying substantial fees in order to carry them.

Unfortunately, this is not something that we have the authority to remove from your bill. 

Simply put, Comcast is adding these made-up "fees" to customers' bills to get around the terms of their contracts. Class action lawsuits are starting up to put an end to this. Rather than offering packages that do not include sports programming, which would put the burden of paying for sports on the people who actually want it, they bundle sports channels into every package but the very bottom tiers, so that people who want to watch anything beyond the major broadcast networks are stuck subsidizing the sports programming. So not only do many customers have to pay for programming they absolutely do not want, Comcast has also added an extra "fee" to add insult to injury.

Contributor

datsunrobbie,

You may or not be aware, every single cable provider charges these fees.   These charges are not ONLY charged by comcast, but charged by FIOS, Direct TV, Dish.  

Frequent Visitor

NO, I do not accept this poor excuse for increasing my bill in the middle of my contract with you, period. I give your answer 2 thumbs down.

Contributor

cybrmstr wrote:

datsunrobbie,

You may or not be aware, every single cable provider charges these fees.   These charges are not ONLY charged by comcast, but charged by FIOS, Direct TV, Dish.  

Yes, I'm aware of that. Not an excuse for doing bad things. See also "If everybody else is jumping off the bridge..."

Frequent Visitor

Amen to that datsunrobbie... I didn't even mention they increased my bill in the middle of a supposed 2 year contract, which by the way I didn't know I was locked into. They took CMT channel off my lineup too and when I asked why, they had moved it to some other package and I could pay an additional $4.99 to get it and that was the discounted price. It seems there is a breech of contract when Comcast tells their customers that you're locked in with price and channels, but if you try to cancel in the middle of "their" terms then they have the right to charge an enormous fee for early termination!!! And, in response to the technological innovation... I'm not using the service on the go or online, APPs, or voice controlled remote... don't charge me for that either. As far as the increased bandwidth, I've been paying for 75mbps for years now and have NEVER clocked over 25mbps (which I have documented with screen prints), so am I really getting what I'm paying for? I think not... 

Official Employee

Hi, litlqtpi2. I'd like to help troubleshoot your connection speeds so we can make sure you're getting the speeds you're paying for. Can you please run a speed test at speedtest.xfinity.com while hardwired directly to your modem via ethernet cable and let me know the results? This would help me isolate the issue with your connection.

Community Icon
Official Employees are from multiple teams within Comcast: Product, Support, Leadership.
We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit from the conversation.
Community Icon
Community Icon
I am a Comcast Employee.

Official Employee
Moved:

Regular Visitor

This is how much the Broadcast and Sports fees have increased for me since Comcast started billing me for them in May 2016. Far exceeds inflation for the same period.

Start Change Incr over last charge Change Incr over last charge   Incr since start
Payment Dates 5/1/2016 7/1/2016   7/1/2017      
Broadcast TV Fee 1.50 4.50 200% 7.00 55.6%   367%
Regional Sports Fee 1.00 3.00 200% 5.00 66.7%   400%
Official Employee

Hello,

I would be happy to look into your account and check these fees. Can you verify your account information with me? I would need your account number, full name, and service address. You can private message me by clicking my name and clicking private message. Thank you

Community Icon
Community Icon
Community Icon
I am a Comcast Employee.

Official Employee

Hello litlqtpi2,

Were you able to test your speeds? 

Community Icon
Community Icon
Community Icon
I am a Comcast Employee.

Frequent Visitor

I am so glad you posted this greggru... it shows just how insane these charges are and how much they've been inflated in such a short period of time. The last time I saw this type of inflation was for gas when Hurricane Katrina hit the Gulf Coast and Highway 10 was damaged. The east coast was unable to get deliveries and so gas station owners started price gouging.

Frequent Visitor

Oh yes ComcastShane, I tested my speed with your tool and with several others during the same time period. All total I tested 9 times on 6/09/17 between 3:42 and 4:12 pm. I tested using your speedtest first at 3:42 pm, XF 84/12 download/upload respectively. However, your service is the only one that tested those speeds and here are the other 8 tests including one more from XF... AT&T 20/11, Beta 25/12, XF 86/12, Bandwidth 23/12, Bandwidth 22/12, Google 23/11, Beta 22/12, Beta 25/12. I screen printed each test and all the upload speeds were consistent between 11 and 12 and all other tests on download excluding XF were consistent between 20-25.

Frequent Visitor

Just curious ComcastKenF why nobody posted on my feed to tell me there are other packages available that don't have a Regional Sports Fee? I see I am not the only one who has an issue with this, as I followed your link where you moved my issue to another customer and already solved this problem for her. That is not what happened here with ComcastChe in her response to my original post... all she did was post a bunch of rhetoric and ruffled my feathers even more.

Frequent Visitor

So what are these fees tied to?  How does Comcast decide to increase them?  Could Comcast simply increase my Regional Sports Fee to $30/month and force me to pay it for the remainder of my contract?

Regular Contributor

iInternet wrote:

So what are these fees tied to?  How does Comcast decide to increase them?  Could Comcast simply increase my Regional Sports Fee to $30/month and force me to pay it for the remainder of my contract?

Bassically fees are tied to paying for the content broadcast. Could they increase your(and everyones) else fee by such a large amount. Yes, but they would probably lose some customers. Can they bill the increased amount for the lentgh of the contract? Again yes and also for as long as you continue service with them or switch to a package without sports programming.

Official Employee

Hello, litlqtpi2. The Regional Sports Fee is not associated with our Limited Basic or Economy cable package tiers. To review the channels lineups associated with these packages please visit https://www.xfinity.com/learn/channel-lineup. If you would us to schedule a technician for your connection speeds, please send me a private message verifying your information for me when you get a moment. Thank you.

Community Icon
Community Icon
Community Icon
I am a Comcast Employee.

New Poster

My $159 Bill becomes $216 after all the fees are added by Comcast. I agree it is unfair. We don't watch sports either and are forced to pay for others that do. A tv service that charges each customer to receive tv service is wrong. You should insure some fees that aren't passed along. I'd be curious to know what the total Bill for these fees is to Comcast. They charge every  customer and  have to bring in more from us than they pay out.

Frequent Visitor

I agree gigi1232... maybe they'll wake up and realize their customers are not happy with these charges or the fact that they cannot choose the stations they want to watch (Dish allows you to create your own package now) . But, it will most likely be when they lose a majority of their client base. There are so many other options these days, like cutting the cord and getting a digital antenna (which by the way doesn't cost a TV broadcast fee, it's FREE) along with Netflix or Amazon Prime, etc. 

New Poster

I don't watch any of the sports channells and want the 5 dollar fee either. It seems like it don't matter what package you have we still get charged the 5 dollar sport package fee

Service Expert
Moved:

Post has been removed from the forums for violating the forum guidelines.

Xfinity Forum Archive
About the archive project

Xfinity Forum Archive...

This is an archived section of the community.

Content in this area has been identified as outdated or irrelevant.

This change was done in an effort to make the forum easier to use and to keep only the most helpful and recent content active.

Post your questions in the Xfinity Community

Discussion stats
  • 21 replies
  • 7 kudos
  • 13 in conversation