Find solutions, share knowledge, and get answers from customers and experts

New to the Community? Start here.

members

topics

2 step verification for multiple users with one phone number

ANSWERED
New Poster

2 step verification for multiple users with one phone number

I have wanted to use two step verification for all users under my account.  However, not all of the users have separate mobile phones to use for this. The integrity of the security of having a "secret question" for being able to reset a password can be particularly suspect if you are providing an valid answer to the question done with the intent of being able to remember the response should it be needed to reset a forgotten password. Using some more cryptic response to the question so that it might be more difficult for someone other than the user to enter the correct response defeats the purpose of having something you can remember when if memory were not the issue, the user probably would not be resetting their password in the first place using this method. Someone with malicious intent may be able to programmatically get through this flimsy barrier and reset a user's password and then proceed to make modifications to user settings that aid that someone in fraudulent acts. Not being able to use the same phone number on multiple users under the same account for two step verification presents a security problem for a large number of account holders.

It appears that relying on the default of a 'Secret Question' to protect passwords has now proven to be unreliable for my account as well as other Comcast account holders. Presumably armed with data from the Equifax breach, some entity has hacked into Comcast user accounts, changing passwords and modifying email forwarding rules that would keep the user from seeing communications from certain retail (e.g. Amazon) and credit (e.g. Synchony Bank) vendors that might alert the user to fraudulent activity using the user's identity information. It is assumed that Comcast email addresses for many people used to communicate with creditors are part of the data obtained in the Equifax breach. In a relatively short amount of time, a fraudulent new source of credit can be set up and used before the true owner of the ID used knows anything about it. While discovery of the email hack on my own account occurred soon enough to keep the impact at a minimum, other Comcast users who experienced the same hack have had much more severe problems to address. A more reliably secure protection of ones account is necessary. The available two step verification would seem to address the weeknesses encountered, but since a separate unused phone number is required for each user, it is often impractical to enable it to be fully used for all IDs. Can something be done so that the same phone number can be used for multiple user IDs if those IDs are under the same account?

Accepted Solution

Re: 2 step verification for multiple users with one phone number

People who don't have a cell phone, or prefer not to use one can use an alternate email address instead.  During the 2-factor setup process, they should be prompted at one point to choose one or the other.  You can't use the same phone # or email on more than one Comcast account for a reason;  if one of them is compromised and all are using the same information, they are then all at risk.  

View answer in context
Email Expert

People who don't have a cell phone, or prefer not to use one can use an alternate email address instead.  During the 2-factor setup process, they should be prompted at one point to choose one or the other.  You can't use the same phone # or email on more than one Comcast account for a reason;  if one of them is compromised and all are using the same information, they are then all at risk.  

Community Icon
I am not a Comcast employee, I am a paying customer just like you!
I am an XFINITY Forum Expert and I am here to help. For information on the program click here.
We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit from the conversation.
Was your question answered? Mark a Best Answer!solution Icon
Community Icon
I am not a Comcast employee. I am a paying customer just like you!
I am an XFINITY Forum Expert and I am here to help.
We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit.
Community Icon
I am not a Comcast employee.

Was your question answered?
Mark an Answer!solution Icon

New Poster

Do you know how to set up 2 step verification when you only have one email address? It will not use it since it is the one being verified.

Email Expert

leowomn wrote:

Do you know how to set up 2 step verification when you only have one email address? It will not use it since it is the one being verified.

Did you try already?  You should have been prompted to use either a cell phone # or an alternate email address.  If you don't have either, then you can't use 2 factor verification.

Community Icon
I am not a Comcast employee, I am a paying customer just like you!
I am an XFINITY Forum Expert and I am here to help. For information on the program click here.
We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit from the conversation.
Community Icon
I am not a Comcast employee. I am a paying customer just like you!
I am an XFINITY Forum Expert and I am here to help.
We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit.
Community Icon
I am not a Comcast employee.

Was your question answered?
Mark an Answer!solution Icon

Xfinity Forum Archive
About the archive project

Xfinity Forum Archive...

This is an archived section of the community.

Content in this area has been identified as outdated or irrelevant.

This change was done in an effort to make the forum easier to use and to keep only the most helpful and recent content active.

Post your questions in the Xfinity Community

Discussion stats
  • 3 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 3 in conversation