Xfinity plant
Xfinity globe
Community Forum

$10 Modem Rental Charge -- I don't Rent

Frequent Visitor

$10 Modem Rental Charge -- I don't Rent

I received a letter in the mail today stating that there has been a mistake on my account and that I should begin being charged a $10 modem rental fee starting on my next bill.  I do not, and have never, rented a comcast modem and have always had a customer owned modem for the life of my account.  I need to have this modem rental charge removed from my account and need assurances such a mistake will not be made in the future.

Accepted Solutions
Problem Solver

Re: $10 Modem Rental Charge -- I don't Rent

Hello pmorgan987,

I apologize for any inconvenience. I have removed the code that was added in error and added the correct code for Customer Owned Modem. Thank you for your patience.

Community Icon
I am an Official Comcast Employee.
Official Employees are from multiple teams within Comcast: Product, Support, Leadership.
We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit from the conversation.

Was your question answered? Mark it as an accepted solution!solution Icon
Community Icon
I am an Offical Comcast Employee.
Official Employees are from multiple teams within Comcast.
We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit.
Community Icon
I am a Comcast Employee.
Please post so people with similar questions may benefit.
Was your question answered?
Mark it as a solution!solution Icon

All Replies
Problem Solver

Hello pmorgan987,

I apologize for any inconvenience. I have removed the code that was added in error and added the correct code for Customer Owned Modem. Thank you for your patience.

Community Icon
Official Employees are from multiple teams within Comcast: Product, Support, Leadership.
We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit from the conversation.

Community Icon
Community Icon
I am a Comcast Employee.
Frequent Visitor

Thank you for the prompt attention!

Problem Solver

You are very welcome!

Community Icon

Community Icon
Community Icon
I am a Comcast Employee.
Frequent Visitor

oh it will happen again. i went round and round with comcast in 2013 about this. and i just receieved a letter in the mail again today stating they were adding a modem rental fee to my account.   i have never had a comcast modem.   it appears this just how they operate.

Frequent Visitor

ComcastMatthew wrote:

Hello pmorgan987,

The previous poster was correct, this has happened again.  I got the same exact letter in the mail today.  Why does this keep happening?  I have NEVER rented a modem in the past.  Please take a second look at this, thanks.

Frequent Visitor

i got another modem rental fee letter in late august and received another one today, Nov 1.   THis just how comcast does business.  they think they can add this fee and no one wil notice or say anything.  those that do - they take the fee off.  those that dont- that means $10 per month in comcast's pocket.  it's a scam.  at what point does this end?  is it clas action?  if you search these boards, there is no shortage of others having this same issue.

Regular Visitor

Need to start filing complaints. They keep on repeating the same mistakes at our cost, frustration and stress hoping we will just give up and pay it. FCC complaints link:

https://consumercomplaints.fcc.gov/hc/en-us

Frequent Visitor

i did file an fcc complaint tonight! i included copies of my letters and detailed info about my chats with Comcast. i have kept detailed records of my modem rental fee issues.

the recent FCC fine againsy comcast requires they send a letter informing new charges, which they seem to have down pat. However getting the same letter every month is not acceptable.

http://transition.fcc.gov/Daily_Releases/Daily_Business/2016/db1011/DA-16-1127A1.pdf

http://arstechnica.com/business/2016/10/fcc-comcast-charged-customers-for-things-they-never-ordered-...

Problem Solver

Hello pmorgan987,

I apologize for the delay. After review, The modem was removed but the code that never changed to customer owned. We have made the appropriate corrections to the account. Going forward you should not receive any letters regarding the modem. If you have any additional questions or concerns, please feel free to reach out to us. 

Community Icon
I am a Retired Official Comcast Employee, and I no longer actively support the forum.
Community Icon
I am an Retired Official Comcast Employee.
Community Icon
Retired Comcast Employee.

New Poster

I have the exact same problems as the others in this thread.  I have recevied many letters about needing to be charged modem rental fees over the last few years and have started receiving the letter consecutively for the last three months.  Each time i have to call and spend over 30 minutes on the phone to have this "corrected" only to reveive another letter the next month.  I have owned my own modem for 10 years, nothing has changed.  Please help me get this corrected on my account once and for all.

Regular Visitor

I just recived a letter about this modem rental fee. I have owned my own modem for at least 6-8 years and never was charged a rental fee.

My case is 040381009. When will this get resolved?

Official Employee

Hi DonMAD, I have sent you a private message and responded to your other thread.

Thank you

Regular Visitor

I saw this forum topic, and it fit exactly the problem I have been having. My Internet/voice service has been in place for over 5 years, using an Xfinity Internet and Voice Modem from Arris that I purchased myself at a Best Buy. This self-install kit was supplied by us to the technician who installed our bundle in early 2012. After several years, a modem rental charge appeared on my bill for March 2015 and was removed on the April bill after I called. Then in 2016 my October and November bills added a charge for modem rental that was later removed after numerous phone calls. Now 2017 sees this monthly charge back again, following a bogus letter about a mistake in my billing where you haven't been charging me correctly for some of my equipment. This equipment is owned by me, and always was, but no further phone calls that I made would acknowledge this, and the unfair charges persist, month after month, on my bills. Please contact me for any further information you may need to resolve this situation.

Official Employee

Hi gcserbak, thank you for reaching out and I can assist with forwarding to the right team for further investigation.  I will send you a private message for further information.

Thank you

Official Employee
Moved:

Regular Visitor

My thanks to the ComCast / Xfinity people who contacted me for further information and assured me that this would be investigated promptly. Seeing other customers' cases resolved successfully gives me confidence that my situation will be considered fairly based on the facts and brought to a similar satisfactory resolution.

New Poster

Same thing happens to me every month I have to send half an hour on the phone to get the charge credited.  This is so frustrating.  Now I know why people hate Comcast.

Frequent Visitor

The same thing happened to me as well.

As of today, the issue is still unresolved.

I am not sure how Comcast keep having this what they called "technical issue" over and over again.

From a technical perspective, they should investigate why their system is so error prone .

Maybe this defect is becoming a "feature" to their company to get wrongful payment from customers.

I encourage all the victims of this issue to file complaints at FCT at https://www.ftc.gov/faq/consumer-protection/submit-consumer-complaint-ftc. 

I have spent more than hours contacting Comcast customer service and replying to this online forums and supplied my modem information several times. The Comcast customer service assured me I will not get charged and they will resolve the issue for me but this is still an open issue. I did not get response from my private messages through this online forum. This is very frastructed.

Regular Contributor

Hello rasberrycookie,

I apologize for how long it is taking to get your account issue resolved. I can definitely go over your account to make sure we have this issue resolved. Would you please send me a private message verifying your account with account name, phone number, and service address? Once I have this information I can investigate for you. Thank you 

Community Icon
I am a Retired Official Comcast Employee, and I no longer actively support the forum.

Was your question answered? Mark a Best Answer!solution Icon
Community Icon
I am an Retired Official Comcast Employee.
Was your question answered? Mark a Best Answer!solution Icon
Community Icon
Retired Comcast Employee.
Mark a Best Answer!solution Icon