online now

discussions

WHERE IS MY MAC MAIL!?!?

SOLVED
Posted by
Contributor

Message 73 of 73 (6,283 Views)

WHERE IS MY MAC MAIL!?!?

Everything was fine UNTIL I asked Comcast why I wasn't getting a E-bill. Well. They were sending it to their "SmartZone"(HA), which I never used!

Now that is all I get! Cannot figure how to get back to my Mac mail. I cannot open Mail even thou the light says its on. Cannot close or even Quit ... And since I cannot close, I cannot get any software up-dates. Tells me to close mail!!!!

Only thing I like about comcast is that catchy song .....

Connection Dr. just keeps spinning......

Any new ideas!?

Please......

Posted by
Contributor

Message 51 of 73 (5,969 Views)

Re: WHERE IS MY MAC MAIL!?!?

That makes sense.

It tell me I will lose all messages, To be safe, I need to back-up ...

Tomorrow.

Right now, I need some sleep.

Will keep you updated on my progress.

Thank you for you help. 

Suzi

Posted by
Networking Expert

Message 52 of 73 (5,971 Views)

I made an edit to my post above with instructions on deleting the non-working account and creating a new one.

Posted by
Contributor

Message 53 of 73 (5,974 Views)

Well, what I did I guess doesn't matter now. Your response went to "SmartZone"

I went threw Joels, I did not realize To replace @ dummy values.... then what?

Do it again @ my id stuff?

Posted by
Edited on
‎05-05-2011 10:38 PM

Networking Expert

Message 54 of 73 (5,973 Views)

[ Edited ]

What exactly do you mean by no success?  What did you do and how do you know it didn't work?  If there was an error message, what was it exactly?

As far as setup goes, Joel's Mac Mail setup guide has all the settings you need.  Simply replace your own userid, name, email address and password for the dummy values he has listed.  That thread is:

Managing your Email in Mac OSX

In your Mail window, in the left hand pane, there should be a list of configured accounts listed under Inbox, one for each email account you have defined.  Is there a little icon just to the right of any of those account names?  If so, what does it look like and if you hover the mouse over it, what does it say in the little popup tooltip box?

Sometimes when things don't work, it's just best to start fresh by deleting the problem account and creating a new one from scratch.  To do that, follow these instructions:

1. Create a new folder under "On My Mac" in the left hand pane, then select the problem account, and move all messages you wish to keep into the newly created folder by selecting and dragging them to the new folder.  This is required because when you delete the account, its inbox is deleted with all messages it currently contains.
  2. Open up Mail -> Preferences -> Accounts
  3. Select the problem account and press the "-" button in the lower left corner and confirm by pressing the pulsing Remove button in the dropdown box.
  4. Then simply follow Joel's instructions to add a new account.
  5. When the new account is in place and working, it will download all the messages from your SmartZone inbox down into Mac Mail.  You can also drag your saved messages from the folder created in Step 1 into the newly created account's Inbox, if you like.  They may be duplicates of what you download, but you will have to decide what to keep and what to throw away. 

Posted by
Contributor

Message 55 of 73 (5,976 Views)

Hi again, I did get to "force quit",it asked if I wanted to quit mail. I thought I needed the "quit mail".

So while it was closed, I got in the updates(5), just incase.... I can now open and close mail. tried a test E-mail to me, no success... will work on settings, tho they all look fine. But something must be wrong. Apple news under rules has come threw, everything else has gone to SmartZone....

Thank you for where you brought me so far.

I will welcome any and all suggestions for my next step. 

Posted by
Contributor

Message 56 of 73 (5,981 Views)

When I click on the stamp, in the dock, nothing happens, except tool bar does appear.

So I can get to pref, etc. Force Quit Mail is not highlighted on the drop down menu, so I cannot use it. so no up-dates.

Connection DR just keeps spinning and says waiting to check.

My mail is only running in "smartmail"

I think tomorrow,I will make sure I am completely backed up, and try the battery disconnect.....

Posted by
Networking Expert

Message 57 of 73 (5,986 Views)

I am as confused as ever as to what you are trying to say.  Your non-standard writing style with all the ellipses is difficult to follow and you don't really explain exactly what is happening on your computer.

Is Mail running?  Can you use it?  In other words can you see the Mail window and when you click on things does it respond?  Or is there simply no window at all?  If you simply want to close Mail, and it won't respond to Mail -> Quit Mail, then try Force Quit by going to the Apple menu (you know the little black apple to the far left on the menu bar) and select Force Quit..., select the Mail application in the list of running applications and then press the pulsing Force Quit button in the lower right of the dialog.  The application should be summarily terminated and no longer show as running in the Dock (ie. there is no little white fuzzy dot under the Mail icon).  It may take up to a minute or so for this to work.

Posted by
Contributor

Message 58 of 73 (5,992 Views)

I have never used a Help Site before. I am truly sorry for that short responses both have really tried to help. I have a laptop, 13" MacBook....

For awhile after "comcast" helped me.... I had NO mail anywhere... So I made a appointment at the app store.... Said they don't really help with this problem..... She tried and did get my mail going threw comcast.... After 5 days, I had over 400 messages waiting for me..... Not even sure she knew where they were going to go.... 

I have done nothing since, but am getting fed-up... I want my MacMail back....

Keep getting a pop-up for up-grades, need to close mail before I can upload them....

Cannot attach photos to mail, etc,etc,etc!!!

Posted by
Contributor

Message 59 of 73 (5,993 Views)

Sorry for the delay in responding... 

you suggested I shut down, well... again it tells me to close mail before it will let me close down. And I cannot open mac mail(light is on)never mind close it, or even force quit... that option is not highlighted to let me click.....

I see someone sugests something about the battery, I'm going to read his......sugestion

Posted by
Customer Expert

Message 60 of 73 (6,031 Views)

glitzbysuzi wrote:

Nothing!!!

You have not said what you tried or really explained what you are trying to do.

We are volunteer customers like you who are trying to help. You need to use more words and explain what you tried.

Posted by
Edited on
‎05-01-2011 10:03 PM

Service Expert

Message 61 of 73 (6,035 Views)

[ Edited ]

glitzbysuzi wrote:

Nothing!!!

That's really all you have to say in response to what's been provided?

I think I'll leave you to using SmartZone, if you can't be more responsive.  We certainly were.

EDIT:  I'll guess that "Nothing" was in response to my first question about what Comcast helped you with.  But we can't provide much more help, with responses like your last one, though we've tried.  Tongue in cheek...maybe you should just toss the computer and buy another one, or take it in to a repair shop.  Bet they can get mail working for you in no time.  (So could we, I wager, if you were more cooperative.)

Posted by
Contributor

Message 62 of 73 (6,039 Views)

Nothing!!!

Posted by
Service Expert

Message 63 of 73 (6,041 Views)

Too bad the OP isn't in the same boat, apparently.

And I hear you as far as the waiting game after disconnecting power.  I rarely find it's necessary, even when I need to force a router or modem reset.

Now to see if the OP ever comes back.  I get the feeling we are just chatting amongst ourselves, at this point.  But nothing all that new, there.  (Except for my rare appearance on this board.)

Posted by
Email Expert

Message 64 of 73 (6,043 Views)

If you don't mind waiting 5 minutes, sure, go ahead. But in my 15+ years of using Macs, I've never had to do that. Of course, I've only encountered situations that even required a reboot to resolve at most 5 or 6 times a year.

Posted by
Service Expert

Message 65 of 73 (6,047 Views)

Nothing wrong with the belt and suspenders approach, though.

And don't ask me to dig the references up again, but I've seen Apple resources that talked about the need to make sure the system really had stopped sucking power after a forced shutdown--prior to restarting.

Why?  Ask Steve Jobs.... Smiley Wink

Posted by
Email Expert

Message 66 of 73 (6,050 Views)

I think that's overkill. Everything in memory gets reloaded from scratch during a reboot. Residual charge on chips is not likely to be a problem.

Posted by
Networking Expert

Message 67 of 73 (6,054 Views)

Barmar wrote:

While it's pretty unusual for Macs to get this confused, it does happen sometimes. You may need to reboot. And if it really can't force-quit Mail, the reboot may hang as well, so you might have to do it using the power switch. This should only be done as a last resort, but if Mail is really hung, it may be necessary.

Actually, the last resort for a desktop is to remove the power plug and for a laptop remove the battery and then the power cord. (grin- And I actually had to do it once, a long time ago.)  In any of these cases, including using the power switch, wait at least five minutes before restarting as some chips may take a while to drain their state.  Of course, modern chips may reset faster and I am merely showing my age. 

sam

Posted by
Email Expert

Message 68 of 73 (6,056 Views)

While it's pretty unusual for Macs to get this confused, it does happen sometimes. You may need to reboot. And if it really can't force-quit Mail, the reboot may hang as well, so you might have to do it using the power switch. This should only be done as a last resort, but if Mail is really hung, it may be necessary.

Posted by
Customer Expert

Message 69 of 73 (6,070 Views)

I just Force Quit my Mac Mail. No problem. 

Are you sure you are using Mac Mail? By "the light is on" do you mean the dot next to the Mac Mail icon on the dock? What happens if you double click the icon on the dock? 

Posted by
Service Expert

Message 70 of 73 (6,075 Views)

What, exactly, did Comcast help you with? 

It doesn't sound like they physically tweaked your system in any way, based on what you posted.  All of your mail goes through the Comcast servers, before any client you would choose (like Mac Mail) would even have a chance to see it.  If the e-bill was available in SmartZone, but Mac Mail couldn't download it, maybe there's a problem related to the e-bill message itself.

When you said "Now that is all I get!", did you mean the only way you can access mail is by now using SmartZone, because you can't resolve your Mac Mail issue?

Have you tried just holding down the power button until your system shuts down?

If you are having issues with running or closing Mac Mail (or your system, in general), those problems aren't being caused by Comcast.

Posted by
Contributor

Message 71 of 73 (6,082 Views)

I cannot force quit mail! Beleive me, I tried!!!! I wish I could... thats why this is so mind bogling!!

I should never asked comcast to help... have not seen Mac mail since!

But I welcome ANY and ALL suggestions!!!!

Posted by
Networking Expert

Message 72 of 73 (6,084 Views)

If you Mail app is stuck and won't shut down, then go to your Apple menu, and select Force Quit and force the Mail app to close.  I would then reboot just to clean up anything nasty, and attempt to open mail again.

SmartZone is simply Comcast's online portal to the mail servers.  If you use Mac Mail, there is no reason to touch SmartZone, just ignore its existence.