Find solutions, share knowledge, and get answers from customers and experts

New to the Community? Start here.

members

online now

discussions

weekend pixelation problem

Contributor

weekend pixelation problem

Our HD channels usually start messing up after 5pm on friday and continue through monday morning.  Also about 8am and 9 am the usual channels start locking up and pixelating for about 10 minutes, then get ok.  It s always HGTV-HD, CNBC-HD, FOXBUSINESS-HD, FOOD-HD, etc.  At a homeowner's meeting this past tuesday, someone else brought up the problem. ......seems that most of our complex has the same problem, only with HD and the same channels.  It effects ALL of my TV's at the same time.  It sounds like there is a drop in signal strength at certain times of the day/week which only causes problems on certain tier HD channels.  My HOA complex does not have common service but all service comes from area connections.  Could there be loss of signal levels at certain times of day?

Regular Visitor

Re: weekend pixelation problem

I've been having the same problem for over 4 weeks now. Used to pixelate until I made the connection from box to TV with an HDMI cable. Now I just lose pictures for 3 - 5 seconds and/or loss of sound. It is worse during prime times. Obviously higher usage and lack enough signal strength. What does a customer have to do? Wait until snowbirds disconnect and go home? I just get tired of talking with people at comcast who can't or won't help. We don't have this problem when viewing streaming movies over an internet connection. Will this be the end of cable service?

Frequent Visitor

We have and have had for ages the same problem.  They keep telling us it's a problem with the cable box, and we've replaced that twice with no improvement.  It's not just on the weekends, either.  I get the feeling as long as you keep paying your bill, they don't much care about fixing anything.

Silver Problem Solver

You should get a tech out to check your signal strength and possibly install a signal booster.

Frequent Visitor

Signal strength? We live right beside Comcast. We can hear their generators. When we take the dog out at night, the red light from their antenna blinks off our car's windshield.

If it wasn't for football, we'd drop our cable entirely and just go to internet only.

Cable Expert

With a hybrid fiber system, it doesn't matter if your next door to the headend or not.  They are not running coax from the headend to your street.  You are fed off a node, and line extenders & taps just like someone 10 miles away. 

You can certainly have signal issues, and it could be very well be with your drop and fittings on your property, inside or outside.

You need a tech out to find and fix your issue.

Community Icon
I am not a Comcast employee, I am a paying customer just like you!
I am an XFINITY Forum Expert and I am here to help. For information on the program click here.
We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit from the conversation.

Was your question answered? Mark it as an accepted solution!solution Icon
Community Icon
I am not a Comcast employee. I am a paying customer just like you!
I am an XFINITY Forum Expert and I am here to help.
We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit.

Was your question answered? Mark it as an accepted solution!solution Icon
Community Icon
I am not a Comcast employee.

Was your question answered?
Mark it as a solution!solution Icon

Regular Visitor

Based on experience.  In all cases, so far I have found my pixalization and lost channels issues to be related to loss on cables/splitters.  Proper amplification (using a biderectional cable TV drop amplifier) and fixed loose connectors / bad cables, fixed all of the problems so far. At one time the problem was outside the house but that was caused by hyper active  landscapers that cut not just the lawn but anything in site, including the comcast cable.  Now the cable is protected by bobwire.

Frequent Visitor

I just wanted to point out that we had a tech come out to check the line. He didn't find anything wrong with the signal, though he did swap out one splitter with another.

That didn't do anything, as we still get intermittent pixelation.

We were then charged $50 for the tech call. My wife was livid, to the point where she started looking at alternative services. Fortunately a very helpful tech in Jackson, MS saved our business.

One thing she suggested is that we needed a second line to come in the house. She said because we had internet and TV coming on one line there would be times when bandwidth would be an issue.

We were thinking this might be the problem until the evening when our computers were all off, and we still had pixelation.