Welcome to Xfinity Help & Support Forums
Find solutions, share knowledge, and get answers from customers and experts

New to the Community? Start here.

members

topics

Why the lack of premium HD channels?

Regular Visitor

Why the lack of premium HD channels?

So I moved and I added Comcast TV, as I already have Comcast internet. I had a different provider before for the TV. But I'm having signal issues as to why I can't continue with my previous TV provider.

But with my previous provider every single premium channel is in HD. But I'm looking at your lineup online and on my guide. Which I see majority of my premium channels such as HBO, Stars, etc are not in HD. Why is this? And do you have plans to roll out more HD channels for the premium channels? I mean it's great that you have pretty much all the cable channels in HD and channels like UP, which even my other provider didn't carry in HD(sarcastically speaking because UP is a really small channel compared to the premium channels). But why not the premium channels?!

Also I already know that you can watch a lot of stuff on demand or through their apps. But I prefer to watch it live on TV, as even some of the apps don't have live streaming either. I don't understand why not every channel is in HD in this day and age. These channels you pay for are supposed to be "premium", but it makes me feel like they're not "premium" because they're not in HD.
Regular Visitor

Re: Why the lack of premium HD channels?

Why no response from Comcast or anybody? I seriously want to know why, and have my never questions answered!

I would think by now in 2018 they would have a nationalized HD channel lineup. Whether they actually carry the channel in that specific area is a different story. But when they do carry the channel, the channel should be HD. The channel should be the same if you're in Miami Florida, Brooklyn New York, or in Los Angeles or San Francisco California. Just because you live in a different area that carries that same specific channel, it shouldn't change to SD because of it.

I mean I live in a Comcast fiber optic area, and fiber optic is supposed to be able to give you more HD channels. So I would think my area I would be able to getting more HD channels. Especially my premium HD channels. I have like one HD channel of each premium channel.
Contributor

All this talk of rolling out 4k when you can't get even get every channel in HD. My biggest pet peeve is premimum channels are PAID subscriptions.... 

At least with showtime you can authenticate via showtime anytime and watch the live feed of showtime east

However with HBO, (being on the west coast) the HBO East is not in hd.  All the boxing fights live programming airs on HBO East before HBO West.  Why do they do this?  I love how they blame the networks yet every single major Cable/SAT provider offers just about all the premiums in HD.   Directv, dish, sling, directvnow all offer the premiums in HD. 

Official Employee

@Bigj01100 wrote:
Why no response from Comcast or anybody? I seriously want to know why, and have my never questions answered!

I would think by now in 2018 they would have a nationalized HD channel lineup. Whether they actually carry the channel in that specific area is a different story. But when they do carry the channel, the channel should be HD. The channel should be the same if you're in Miami Florida, Brooklyn New York, or in Los Angeles or San Francisco California. Just because you live in a different area that carries that same specific channel, it shouldn't change to SD because of it.

I mean I live in a Comcast fiber optic area, and fiber optic is supposed to be able to give you more HD channels. So I would think my area I would be able to getting more HD channels. Especially my premium HD channels. I have like one HD channel of each premium channel.

Apologies. The channel lineup can vary from area to area.

There is a LOT of HD premium content available right now and anytime On Demand and included with your current package. Actually, more HD content than ever is available today On Demand from our premium channel partners and included with your premium channel subscription. That is how premium movie content (SD and HD) is mostly consumed, via On Demand.

Community Icon
I am an Official Comcast Employee.
Official Employees are from multiple teams within Comcast: Product, Support, Leadership.
We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit from the conversation.
Was your question answered? Mark a Best Answer!solution Icon
Community Icon
I am an Offical Comcast Employee.
Official Employees are from multiple teams within Comcast.
We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit.
Was your question answered? Mark a Best Answer!solution Icon
Community Icon
I am a Comcast Employee.
Please post so people with similar questions may benefit.
Was your question answered?
Mark a Best Answer!solution Icon

Contributor

It is still not the same as watching something live.  I am a die hard boxing fan and all the good fights air on HBO East before HBO West.  I have to wait 3 hours to watch a HD version of it.  Seriously, why do you guys do this?  Why can't you make HBO East/West in HD because they are the MAIN HBO channels.  This is 2018 sir, 4k is around the corner and you still broadcast at SD or 480p?  Once again, DISH, DIRECTV, Slingtv, PlaystationVUE, Cox, Charter all have the premiums in HD.  

I could care less about HBO Family being in HD if you give me HBO East/West in HD, Showtime East/West in HD I will be a happy camper. 

Contributor

HBO East not in HD!

I am trying to watch the Gennady Golovkin fight... HBO EAST IS NOT IN HD.  THIS IS 2018 CAN YOU PLEASE MAKE ALL YOUR PREMIUMS IN HD XFINITY.  Is anyone even listening?  Directv, dish, sling, hulu, all have HBO East in HD, in 2012 you guys had all the premiums in HD.  Why are you doing this to us?  I waited months for this Triple G to watch it in HD.

I don't want to wait 3 hours to watch it in HD via Hbo west. 

Special Events
FIFA World Cup 2018 on Xfinity See More
Discussion stats
  • 5 replies
  • 3 kudos
  • 3 in conversation