New to the Community? Start here.

members

online now

discussions

Weather Scan Channel

ANSWERED
Contributor

Re: Local Weather Channel

Check out DISH too.  Were shopping this Yuletide season for streaming devices like Roku, Chormecast, and Apple TV.

Contributor

I love the Roku 3. As soon as I got mine, Comcast got all their equipment back. However not all content is available through Roku. CBS has their own CBS All Access. Some channels require you use your Comcast (or other) log in to view premium content. But I much prefer paying a la carte for what I actually watch.

Also, Amazon now has the Amazon FIRE TV (stick and other) so check out that one as well.

Contributor

I know what you mean... there's just not enough HDMI ports on my Flat screen to go around these days.

2015 should be the year Amazon Fire TV gets Netflix and HBOGo up and running and hopefully WEATHERSCAN!!!!!

New Poster

Re: Weather Scan Channel Going Away????

I have not totally lost the Weatherscan channel, but it's messed up and I am annoyed. The other night, the channel went out, but I didn't get upset. That happens to single channels sometimes. Just as I figured, the next morning Weatherscan was back working.
HOWEVER, it doesn't give local information anymore. I live in a Maryland suburb of Washington DC. Previously Weatherscan gave a combination of Baltimore, Annapolis, and Washington DC weather. Now it's totally Baltimore. Often Baltimore weather differs from DC's.
I called Comcast and got no help. One lady said its up to the network what feed they send and Comcast could do nothing. I asked to speak to a supervisor but never got one on the line
Frustrated. I'd used that channel a lot!!!!
Regular Contributor

There are 8 pages of this thread. Yesterday with the bad weather (ICE) in the Philly/South Jersey I turned to this channel (101) several times yesterday. My family loves this channel. With this said it is still available in my area (08054). There has't been any news on my bills that this channel will be removed. Will it be soon because that could be the last straw for this Loyal comcast customers.

Regular Contributor

I'm not far from you, 08054 (I'm in 08562). What irritates me about the WeatherScan Local that we have is that they use Camden and Gloucester City -- which are right next to each other. They share a border! How about if they spread out the coverage a bit? Include your area or the bases? And by the way, thank you for saying where you are. People post complaints here all the time and never say where they're located. Well done!

Regular Visitor

It might as well go away. the Weather Channel has redirected the program feed content to center on Busck County, Specifically "Bensalem". HAS TO BE ANOTHER MOVE TO GATHER MORE REVENUE. This center of interest is over 45 miles from where I live, and of no use to me. FIRST IT WAS WEATHER ON THE 8S. NOW IT IS WEATHER SCAN. OH YEAH THE ALMIGHTY $. AND i PAY DEARLY FOR THE CABLE SERVICE AND HAVE NO SAY CONCERNING THE PROGRAMMING! AS A SENIOR I FEEL THIS IS bs THAT I HAVE TO PAY FOR MIS-INFORMATION. This programming change is centered at the Weather Channel.

This means I have to dedicate a screen and/or another computer to get REAL LOCAL weather!

This all began March of 2014. "Follow the $"

I may as well change channels,'cause what I am seeing is TICKING me off!

Contributor

Yup, eight pages on this thread, and their are a few others threads about this subjuect on other threads sponsored by Comcast forums...  money doesn't seem to matter nor does any other complaint/request to COMCAST to remedy the situation. 

THEY JUST DON"T CARE!!!!!!!

that's why we pay them good money!!??

New Poster

Comcast Weatherscan is totally useless - they might as well eliminate it.  I'm here South of Tuckerton, NJ and the scan is

showing the weather for East Brunswick, Trenton, Hopewell.  Hopewell is 73 miles from here and inland!  I'm on the coast and our weather is completely different,  Have emailed the weather channel and for awhile we were getting Toms River and

Beach Haven, which is at least in the same county.

But I'm thinking ....  cut the cable.  I'll bring in programs via my HDMI and smart TV.  Won't be missing much.

New Poster

The weathers an channel I love. Please keep it. I don't want or need to hear a weatherman talk & see the weather in other states. I like to simply pull it up where I can see what the weather/temp is for the day as well as for the week.
Problem Solver

Some speculations on my part...

Weatherscan is provided by the local Comcast headend. This office maintains one set of hardware to produce what is seen on the Weatherscan channel seen locally. The headend decides whether to obtain and maintain this equipment. If the weather information is not available locally then they obtain it from the nearest area. Also if headend covers a large area then they do their best to cover the most populated area since they are limited to broadcasting only one set of weather data.

Official Employee

All - below was posted earlier in the thread but may have been missed by some. Nothing new below

***************************************************************************************************************. 

Thanks for your continued and valuable feedback.  It has been noted and shared directly with our local and national programming teams that were involved with this decision. 

This was a decision made by Comcast in some areas. 

We regularly examine our programs and channels in an effort to bring our customers the best overall entertainment choices and the content they want the most.  As a result, Comcast must sometimes remove channels that have lower viewership to make space for higher valued, more popular channels and to keep our channel line-ups consistent across markets.

The Weather Channel is still available and provides localized weather every ten minutes on Local on the 8's.  We are also in the process of launching a localized HD Weather Channel feed across all markets. Most all areas already have this new feature. 

There is a localized weather app available to customers with the X1 platform.

Customers with our traditional on-screen program guide also have access to local updated weather forecasts via the guide's Main Menu, then select Local Weather.

We have also found that most of our customers access this information through their mobile devices and the internet.

Thanks again for your feedback.

Community Icon
I am an Official Comcast Employee.
Official Employees are from multiple teams within Comcast: Product, Support, Leadership.
We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit from the conversation.

Was your question answered? Mark it as an accepted solution!solution Icon
Community Icon
I am an Offical Comcast Employee.
Official Employees are from multiple teams within Comcast.
We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit.
Community Icon
I am a Comcast Employee.
Please post so people with similar questions may benefit.
Was your question answered?
Mark it as a solution!solution Icon
Contributor

ComcastTeds said "...Comcast must sometimes remove channels that have lower viewership..." but I wonder how viewership is calculated.

The WeatherScan channel may not have been something we just sat and watched for an hour every day but we turned to it several times daily and would leave it on when bad weather was imminent. Others we know did the same exact thing.

The Weather Channel is sometimes every eight minutes, other times not at all. WeatherScan was there when you needed it.  I would without doubt prefer WeatherScan over Weather Channel.

Regular Visitor

The Weatherscan Channel no longer provdes local info, 50 miles away is not local.

Contributor

Re: What happened to Weatherscan Local on 101?

We can do something about it...badmouth to other people/current/potential subscribers, change service, contact local government who give Comcast the contract for your area....

New Poster

Re: Weather Scan Channel

I use this channel as a health/wellness/live and death situation all through the hurricane season. I am extremely upset that this channel is not working today and might be gone for good. I am in a 55+ community. We ALL DEPEND ON TWC OR WEATHER SCAN on a daily basis. To take this away from us is a PUBLIC SAFETY ISSUE AND MIGHT BECOME POLITICAL. What an awful thing to talk politics vs. life.

Contributor

I bought a ROKU. Several 'channels' of Weather, including Weather Nation are available. I then also found Weather Nation broadcast over the air as a local channel.

I took Comcast's advice and sought other sources for weather. Of course this means I also CUT THE CABLE and am no longer subscribing to cable TV.

It is truly amazing the over-the-air and Roku and web-streaming options that are out there that DO NOT REQUIRE COMCAST CABLE any longer.

I cut the cable. I'm glad I did. Losing WeatherScan was the final straw and I took great enjoyment out of sending my equipment BACK to Comcast and telling them I'm done!

Thank you for cancelling WeatherScan Comcast. However you didn't thank ME for cancelling COMCAST in return.

Contributor

Nawh... bad mouthing has limited impact with Comcast coporate, since their Board of Directors don't care and are tone deaf to the needs of their customer base... real-time local radar and emergency alerts for local weather concidtions have been de-monitized as part of Comcast coporate's neglect for public safety in the markets they serve.

New Poster

Re: weatherscan

BRING BACK WEATHER SCAN. I have it on in the background all day. Music is neat and kinda catchy too! TBH I hate the regular weather channel with whoever that blonde guy is in the mornings along with his wannnabe Vanna White side kicks who walk up and down the weather map as if to say "look at my new shoes, look at my dress". UGH horrible. Weather scan is simple, conscise and to the point, I can look at it and see what I need to wear that day or if I need an umbrella and not have to wait 20 minutes for commericals and all the hype that comes with the regular weather channel (Jim Cantore: "I'm standing in a catagory 4 hurricane!" what a fool). I would be willing to pay a premium just to have it comcast! bring back weather scan!

Official Employee

Re: weatherscan

msbug2 wrote:

BRING BACK WEATHER SCAN. I have it on in the background all day. Music is neat and kinda catchy too! TBH I hate the regular weather channel with whoever that blonde guy is in the mornings along with his wannnabe Vanna White side kicks who walk up and down the weather map as if to say "look at my new shoes, look at my dress". UGH horrible. Weather scan is simple, conscise and to the point, I can look at it and see what I need to wear that day or if I need an umbrella and not have to wait 20 minutes for commericals and all the hype that comes with the regular weather channel (Jim Cantore: "I'm standing in a catagory 4 hurricane!" what a fool). I would be willing to pay a premium just to have it comcast! bring back weather scan!

Weatherscan is still available in your area of NJ on channel 101. Another option in your area is channel 249 AccuWeather from WFMZ-TV.

Community Icon
Official Employees are from multiple teams within Comcast: Product, Support, Leadership.
We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit from the conversation.

Community Icon
Community Icon
I am a Comcast Employee.
Official Employee
Moved:

New Poster

One of the reasons I pay a ridiculous amount to Comcast is because of Weatherscan (Ch 245)              I depend on the continous Dopler for work. Has this channel been dropped? If so some type of rebate is in order

Contributor

Comcast - when are you bringing back WeatherScan ch 101 in KC, Mo area? There are tons of worthless channels on your lineup that could have been dropped and nobody would have noticed. With all this weather we've been having WeatherScan would be more than helpful to see what's coming or going on. The Weather Channel is worthless, on the eights sometimes, most of the time not at all because of some stupid show like Fat Men in the Woods. The WC also has such a narrow range of radar it is almost worthless when they do show it. BRING BACK WEATHER SCAN!!!!

I'd like to hear some sensible reason why it was taken off last year. Obviously Comcast doesn't care about customer service or satisfaction. No wonder Comcast is in the top 10 most hated companies in the US (according to Bloomberg Business). Glad I don't work there anymore.

Official Employee

dcarter153 wrote:

Comcast - when are you bringing back WeatherScan ch 101 in KC, Mo area? There are tons of worthless channels on your lineup that could have been dropped and nobody would have noticed. With all this weather we've been having WeatherScan would be more than helpful to see what's coming or going on. The Weather Channel is worthless, on the eights sometimes, most of the time not at all because of some stupid show like Fat Men in the Woods. The WC also has such a narrow range of radar it is almost worthless when they do show it. BRING BACK WEATHER SCAN!!!!

I'd like to hear some sensible reason why it was taken off last year. Obviously Comcast doesn't care about customer service or satisfaction. No wonder Comcast is in the top 10 most hated companies in the US (according to Bloomberg Business). Glad I don't work there anymore.

All - below was posted earlier in the thread but may have been missed by some. Nothing new below
************************************************************************************************************** 

Thanks for your continued and valuable feedback. It has been noted and shared directly with our local and national programming teams that were involved with this decision.

This was a decision made by Comcast in some areas.

We regularly examine our programs and channels in an effort to bring our customers the best overall entertainment choices and the content they want the most. As a result, Comcast must sometimes remove channels that have lower viewership to make space for higher valued, more popular channels and to keep our channel line-ups consistent across markets.

The Weather Channel is still available and provides localized weather every ten minutes on Local on the 8's. We are also in the process of launching a localized HD Weather Channel feed across all markets. Most all areas already have this new feature.

There is a localized weather app available to customers with the X1 platform.

Customers with our traditional on-screen program guide also have access to local updated weather forecasts via the guide's Main Menu, then select Local Weather.

We have also found that most of our customers access this information through their mobile devices and the internet.

Community Icon

Community Icon
Community Icon
I am a Comcast Employee.
Official Employee

PaulQ wrote:

One of the reasons I pay a ridiculous amount to Comcast is because of Weatherscan (Ch 245)              I depend on the continous Dopler for work. Has this channel been dropped? If so some type of rebate is in order

I am seeing that Weatherscan is still available in your area of MA on channel 245.

Community Icon

Community Icon
Community Icon
I am a Comcast Employee.
Contributor

Ted,
Clearly what Comcast considers 'higher value programming' is considerably different from what most customers on this thread believe they deserve. I suspect Comcast determined too many customers were choosing the WeatherScan channel over the irrelevant and overly commercialized WeatherChannel for notification and tracking of severe local weather conditions. And again, it is demeaning to those of us Comcast customers who are denied access to the WeatherScan channel, to hear that this channel is offered only to special Comcast customers.
Thanks for nothing…

Contributor

I couldn't agree more, Osbueno. I would "Kudos" but it won't let me, isn't that strange!

Contributor

Unfortunately, it's not the first time my thread has been denied. May be the snazzy merit badges Comcast posted for my thread are suppose to suffice?  Anyway, I e-mailed The Weather Channel to ask if their 'Fat Guys in the Woods' or 'Prospectors' crews use WeatherScan or The Weather Channel to dodge deadly lightning and thunderstorms like we have to do up here in the Rockies.  I am sure those poor 15 souls who were knocked down by lightning over at Echo Lake would have preferred access to the WeatherScan channel. 

New Poster

WeatherScan had been out all day&still is out. The Weather Channel has became worthless&a waste of time cause it's more "Reality Programming" than Weather like they used to be. It's time for Comcast to give their customers another choice for weather than "The Weather Channel" which barely shows weather&I have been told by them when I have contacted them that they're not changing it but in fact going to be adding even more "Reality Programming". We need a reliable Weather Channel that shows ONLY weather 24/7.
New Poster

Actually The Weather Channel barely shows Weather on the 8's anymore cause their Reality Programming is more important to them than showing the weather especially in severe weather situations.
Regular Contributor

regiaous67 wrote:
Actually The Weather Channel barely shows Weather on the 8's anymore cause their Reality Programming is more important to them than showing the weather especially in severe weather situations.

Not to mention giving snowstorms cutesy little names that nobody else uses or cares about.

Regular Visitor

why are we no longer receiving channel 101(wthsn)?

Why are we no longer receiving channel 101(wthsn)?

New Poster

We're getting that message too. we counted on it for LOCAL weather as weather channel local on the 8"s often is interrupted. Comcast trying to force customers to up to preferred package at a greater expense. Not good for seniors on fixed income.

New Poster

This has happened on the weather channel. During the weather on the '8s', rather than the weather for Manahawkin, Beach Haven and Tuckerton, we have gotten the weather for Eatontown, Middletown etc. in Northern Monmouth county, 54 miles north and not at all useful.  I wrote to weather.com and this week they have changed it back now.

New Poster

Weatherscan

Just paying my Comcast/Xfinity bill and I see they are no longer going to offer Weatherscan after Oct. 10, 2017.  What gives?

New Poster

Re: Weatherscan

We use Weatherscan multiple times every day for current radar in our area.  Will there be a similar channel added to make u for the loss of Weatherscan?

This is just one more in an ever-increasing list of reasons not to continue with Comcast!

New Poster

I just received notice that ch 116 weather scan will no longer be available as 10/1/17. No explanation. No offense to anyone but why do i have to pay for Hispanic channels? I don't understand that at all. Give us more choices.
Problem Solver

In our August bill was a notice that on October 10, 2017 WeatherScan (ch 101) would no longer be available. I live in Huntsville, AL. We probably only kept it as long as we have because we have a local National Weather Service office.

Official Employee

MisterEd51 wrote:

In our August bill was a notice that on October 10, 2017 WeatherScan (ch 101) would no longer be available. I live in Huntsville, AL. We probably only kept it as long as we have because we have a local National Weather Service office.

Thanks for your continued and valuable feedback. It has been noted and shared directly with our local and national programming teams that were involved with this decision.

We regularly examine our programs and channels in an effort to bring our customers the best overall entertainment choices and the content they want the most. As a result, Comcast must sometimes remove channels that have lower viewership to make space for higher valued, more popular channels and to keep our channel line-ups consistent across markets.

The Weather Channel is still available (channel 25 in your area and in HD on channel 1101) and provides localized weather every ten minutes on Local on the 8's. We have also launched a localized HD Weather Channel feed across most all markets. 

There is a localized weather app available to customers on our X1 platform. Press the XFINITY button, choose the gear icon on the right, scroll to Daily Life and then select Weather. Or just say "What's the weather?" into the Comcast voice remote control to see an extended forecast local to your zip code anytime from The Weather Channel.

Customers with our traditional on-screen program guide also have access to local updated weather forecasts via the guide's Main Menu, then select Local Weather.

We have also found that most of our customers access this information through their mobile devices and the Internet. Your local broadcast TV stations (WHNT, WAAY, WZDX and WAFF) will continue to keep you updated as to ongoing and breaking weather coverage. 

Community Icon

Community Icon
Community Icon
I am a Comcast Employee.
Regular Visitor

I did not see the notice that Chan 101 will be removed again. I'm with MisterEd51, keep that channel. It provides much more than my local weather such as travel weather to likely nearby destinations, the radar shot shows my entire area to see how close storms are and airport delays, conditions. Critical info in my household all on one super sized tv screen - vs cell phone or laptop. The Weather Channel for not provide this info, sorry. Keep in mind, viewers don't need to spend hours watching this channel because it's that good and complete. It's a big reason we keep Comcast - my husband has been wanting to look elsewhere!
Problem Solver

Regarding ComcastTeds post (in 2015 and 2017):

I am disappointed with your canned response. It is much like the one given two years ago when Comcast first announced that they would start discontinuing WeatherScan.

The only time I look at the Weather Channel is for the programming it provides. The "Local on the 8's" is worthless because I have to wait for the local weather forecast. Even then if I blink I will miss it and have to wait for it to cycle again.

I don't have the X1 platform so any comments on it are irreverent

Selecting Local Weather on the traditional remote setup screen gives limited weather information. The weather information seems outdated or inconsistent with weather information available elsewhere. It doesn’t even agree with what is available on the WeatherScan channel. In other words I just don’t trust it.

Overall the information on WeatherScan:

• As reliable as any other source of weather information available
  • Is more accessible than most other sources of weather information

When WeatherScan is gone the accessibility alone is what will be missed most. Unfortunately there is nothing that is offered that is comparable.

From your post in 2015  “We have also found that most of our customers access this information through their mobile devices and the internet.”

Again this is disappointing. Of course we can find information elsewhere. That is not the point. A lot of us think of weather information provided by Comcast as a very useful service. Selecting WeatherScan on channel 101 is much more convenient than going on our computer or using an app on our phone.

Frequent Visitor

Well said MisterEd, unfortunately it will fall on deaf ears.

Service Expert
Moved:

Your post has been removed to a secure, hidden area for violating Forum Guidelines [circumventing the language filter]. If you are not familiar with the Guidelines you may review them here.

Official Employee

Osbueno wrote:

Copy that, tlgjr8 & MisterED: 

I stopped commenting on this subject a couple of years ago because it was apparent Comcast could give a $h!T... that's French for Pooh <the Comcast censor at work again.>  The wifey signed up for the X1 platform and there is no WeatherScan channel there either.  We put the Weather Channel on parental control so it could be blocked out.  The Weather App afforded by the X1 platform is useless as are the other Apps offered too.  We now just log into one of our local news stations websites to get an active Doppler radar map of the weather.  The new X1 remote is awful! The remote's button layout locations are poorly thought out.  We constantly turn-off either the TV or X1 Box accidently when we try to change the channel or volume among other problems.  The darn stupid thing <had to use a different word here, becuase of the Comcast censor> eats batteries like popcorn too.  The finish of the remote is molting as well.  Our local city government is thinking of establishing a city wide WiFi network... I can hardly wait!

Apologies. There have been some issues with some X1 remotes and excessive battery usage. I am shipping you a replacement remote control that should resolve any remote issues.

Thanks for your feedback and thanks for your patience.  

Community Icon

Community Icon
Community Icon
I am a Comcast Employee.
Service Expert
Moved:

Your post has been removed to a secure, hidden area for violating Forum Guidelines [circumventing the language filter]. If you are not familiar with the Guidelines you may review them here.

New Poster

Why did Xfinity/Comcast take off the local weather channel (weatherscan)? I used it all the time.

The local weather channel (weatherscan) was taken off and replaced with the National Weather Channel. Why? I used it all the time to look at the radar and see what the temp and weather was. Now, I have to wait until it comes around to the Springfield area.

New Poster

weatherscan channel

why is weatherscan being eliminated on Oct. 10 on my xfinity tv? I live in morton grove, IL

Regular Visitor

We have the triple play, all channels and we also will not be seeing weatherscan as of Oct, 10th.  Really close to getting rid of comcast. 

Contributor

Dear Goliath,

I posted a survey dated January 10, 2017, by Wall St. 24/7, which found that Comcast was the most hated company in America and why.  There was no profane language used or anything else which would draw the attention of the Comcast Censor bot.  For some reason that post has now disappeared from this thread.  Perhaps ComcastTeds knows the answer?  The reference to that survey was found on Comcast's own xfinity meet and greet webpage... go figure?

BRING BACK WEATHERSCAN!!!

Osbueno

Official Employee

Re: weatherscan channel

Hi alan15, this issue has already been addressed by (ComcastTeds). Please review the information below.

The Weather Channel is still available (channel 40 in your area and in HD on channel 1102) and provides localized weather every ten minutes on Local on the 8's. We have also launched a localized HD Weather Channel feed across most all markets. 

There is a localized weather app available to customers on our X1 platform. Press the XFINITY button, choose the gear icon on the right, scroll to Daily Life and then select Weather. Or just say "What's the weather?" into the Comcast voice remote control to see an extended forecast local to your zip code anytime from The Weather Channel.

We have also found that most of our customers access this information through their mobile devices and the Internet. Your local broadcast TV stations (WHNT, WAAY, WZDX and WAFF) will continue to keep you updated as to ongoing and breaking weather coverage. 

Community Icon

Community Icon
Community Icon
I am a Comcast Employee.