members

online now

discussions

Weather Scan Channel

Posted by
Contributor

Message 301 of 410

Mister Ed:

It was removed for everyone. I have digital preferred and 101 is just plain gone from the channel lineup.

We had a local station that was broadcasting "Weather Nation" over the air, but they recently went to country music videos as well, so that source is useless as well.

They used to run ads across the bottom of Weatherscan so Comcast can't tell me it was a money decision. Maybe a salesman needed to market those ads better to local business, or maybe some genius Comcast programming engineer could figure out some other whizbang way to make the ribbon feed useful.

But for all of our crying and moaning... doubtful it will happen...

Posted by
Problem Solver

Message 302 of 410

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Osbueno wrote:
Don't know what to say Mister Ed,  either some Comcast customers are special, or they have the benefit of choosing another provider,  Does anyone know if the Weatherscan channel is available on DIRECT TV, DISH, CenturyLink Prism, or other competing cable providers in their area?  I am fixing to run a comparison by signing up for trial services from the other providers at my location.  Stay tuned...
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Everyone is supposed to lose Weatherscan eventually but for now we still have it, I have a feeling that our local cable head is holding out but will probably be forced by corporate to discontinue Weatherscan eventually. It may have to do with our city having a local National Weather Service office and a university that is big into weather.

BTW, we do have a choice between Comcast, WOW and AT&T U-verse but Comcast by far has the biggest market share.

Posted by
Cable Expert

Message 303 of 410

Osbueno wrote:

Don't know what to say Mister Ed,  either some Comcast customers are special, or they have the benefit of choosing another provider,  Does anyone know if the Weatherscan channel is available on DIRECT TV, DISH, CenturyLink Prism, or other competing cable providers in their area?  I am fixing to run a comparison by signing up for trial services from the other providers at my location.  Stay tuned...

Weatherscan was a Comcast exclusive, you will not find the exact format on any other provider.

Community Icon
I am not a Comcast employee, I am a paying customer just like you!
I am an XFINITY Forum Expert and I am here to help. For information on the program click here.
We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit from the conversation.

Was your question answered? Mark it as an accepted solution!solution Icon
Community Icon
I am not a Comcast employee. I am a paying customer just like you!
I am an XFINITY Forum Expert and I am here to help.
We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit.

Community Icon
I am not a Comcast employee.

Was your question answered?
Mark it as a solution!solution Icon

Posted by
Contributor

Message 304 of 410
Posted by
Contributor

Message 305 of 410

Mister Ed, clearly some Comcast customers are treated with more respect if there is the slightest competition for their cable dollar.  It doesn't matter that we have NOAA and NCAR national weather research centers located in Boulder, Colorado.  Comcast is the only cable provider, even though CenturyLink Prism service is advertised as an alternative; it is severely restricted in its availability.  It's not a free market if one cable provider has a monopoly.

Posted by
Problem Solver

Message 306 of 410

30 years ago we only had one cable provider. Because enough people complained about the perceived lack of good service a franchise was granted to a 2nd cable provider. This did provided competition for a while resulting in the lowest cable rates in the whole county. Unfortunately neither cable company survived intact. The weakened original cable provider was taken over by Comcast. The weakened alternate cable provider is now owned by WOW.

I have a feeling it is more political pressure than respect that allows us to keep Weatherscan at least for now. In the end when Comcast corporate pulls the plug on Weatherscan nobody will have it.

We also have another channel called Comcast Local Weather on channel 60. It continuously shows live local weather radar from the National Weather Service. There is also audio from the "NOAA Weather Radio" feed. Does anyone else have that???

Posted by
Frequent Visitor

Message 307 of 410

Mr Ed - where are you? Here in Albuquerque the only tv weather station we have is The Weather Channel. I am doing what Comcast wanted when they removed Weatherscan. On the computer, I use Yahoo Weather which I think is using The Weather Channel (ya-hoo) or my very smart smartphone using AccuWeather. I will also check in with the NWS and WeatherNation.

Posted by
New Poster
  • Thank you contributor for your first reply to the community!
 Posting replies is the best way to get involved.
  • Congratulations on receiving your first Kudos! Thank you for your meaningful contribution to the forum. May this be the first of many kudos.

Message 308 of 410

Will miracles never cease? I got Weatherscan back!

Posted by
Problem Solver

Message 309 of 410

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
SwoozieB wrote:
Mr Ed - where are you? Here in Albuquerque the only tv weather station we have is The Weather Channel. I am doing what Comcast wanted when they removed Weatherscan. On the computer, I use Yahoo Weather which I think is using The Weather Channel (ya-hoo) or my very smart smartphone using AccuWeather. I will also check in with the NWS and WeatherNation.
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Huntsville, AL

They were supposed to close our National Weather Service office a few years ago. They said we were supposed to get our weather forcasts from either Nashville or Birmingham both of which are a hundred miles away. We got to keep our National Weather Service office. However we had to compromise with the Nexrad radar being built between Huntsville and Chattanooga.

To me that says someone is looking out for us politically and also may have convinced Comcast to keep Weatherscan going as long as possible.

Posted by
New Poster

Message 310 of 410

Very ticked off that comcast took away the local weather channel 101!!! The actual "Weather Channel" is not local, does not show local weather info at all times and just SUCKS!!!

Posted by
New Poster

Message 311 of 410

very disappointed that the weather channel is gone!

Posted by
Regular Visitor
  • Congratulations on receiving your first Kudos! Thank you for your meaningful contribution to the forum. May this be the first of many kudos.

Message 312 of 410

Well don't look for  "LOCAL ON THE 8's", which is really "not so local on the 10s". "Weathet.com" has broadened the arae here sinch March 2014, and blame it on Xfinity! What used to cover a 20 mles radius for us is now spotlighting areas over 40 miles away. The radar scans are from Williamsport to Wahington DC. Well we aall know what the weather is like in D.C. and could care less for an update!

I guess there is not enough marketing potential ($) in our more rural service areas. If you compare SE PA to other sections of the country, and the various franchises. We do not have an ala carte choise of our service offerings. Why is a no frills service in Muncie IN $ 98 a mo, and here it's $185? Same bad TV shows!  VOIP is a joke $29 for Comcast, and $10 for Vonage or Planet 8. And the cable giants want FCC to abolish "free TV".

Posted by
Contributor

Message 313 of 410

Yup, Comcast doesn't give a rat's you know what, as long as there isn't a competing cable company for the particular cable market in question.  This is obvious to anyone reading this thread.

The answer to the question, 'Where has the Weatherscan channel gone?' is simple...  DISH satellite TV.

Posted by
New Poster

Message 314 of 410
I was hoping this was some sort of mistake. This was the first channel my son and I looked at in the morning. Now, we have to wait to see a weather forecast even remotely close to us. What were you thinking, Comcast?!? You have 7 pages of comments begging to bring this channel back. There are 800 other channels I don't even use. This was one of the few. You should offer a plan where you only pay a few bucks for each channel you watch! Stop taking the good ones away!!!
Posted by
New Poster

Message 315 of 410

this new channel is nothing but commercials. The weather on the 8"s is not local weather. I will waste no more time even looking at thiis channel. I guess I will use my cell phone for the forecast. Ken Mayfield

Posted by
New Poster
  • Congrats on Posting your first topic!

Message 316 of 410

Is weatherscan reallyt gone?  It was the fast easy way to getr an overview of my local weather ever since TWC stopped doinf their local area weatherf on the eights?  Watching TWC is now like watching iot on a dish. I really dont care whats happening in the midwest when I'm trying to figure out when the snow is going to start in the northeast.  Terrible service.

Posted by
Regular Visitor
  • You have posted 5 replies to the community. Thank you for keeping the conversations going!

Message 317 of 410

Just yesterday (11/1/14), the local weather scan channel (101) for Alexandria VA disappeared replaced by a  redundant clone of the national Weather Channel (27 & 815).  Nothing in my service package has changed.  No other channels seem to ber affected.  I have HD package with Premium Channels.

Posted by
Contributor

Message 318 of 410

Hey Swoozie...

If you can, tune in to channel 43-11 directly (off cable). It's a Santa Fe station which runs Weather Nation on a continuous loop. They do have commercials, but the "Weather on the 5's" runs for a full two minutes long. Also run some local radar loops.

Not the same as WeatherScan 101 but obviously they are making money off it (ad revenue) which again, Comcast is missing the boat.

Posted by
Frequent Visitor

Message 319 of 410

Comcast is not only missing the boat on this, they are feeding themselves to the sharks. The Weather Channel is no comparison to what WeatherScan used to be. And since then WC has gone even more downhill in local information.. the scan is limited and coloration makes it user-un-friendly.

So I can go to the computer to local news weather scans (that can show the whole country, and what is coming) but when storms are imminent I turn the computer off for fear of lightning and/or power surges..

What is wrong with Comcast that they don't explain why WeatherScan is gone? Is there any good reason for this? It was our most looked at channel over the course of a day. It has been five months since we lost it and still find ourselves saying "look at 101 (the previous WeatherScan channel) to see how close that storm is". Oh, yeah, it's not there.

Posted by
Frequent Visitor

Message 320 of 410

AriasDan - We are not getting the same thing. Ours is KCHF a religious channel. No weather there.

On another note, I went outside this morning to pick up the Albuquerque Journal from the driveway opened up the paper expecting to see news about the local elections and what I got was "The Wall Street Journal."  Huh? No more Journal? It was replaced, too? April Fools joke? Newspaper delivery person kidnapped? No comics; one single page - 4 articles devoted to sports (I don't do sports but the better half does). Maybe it's a good thing not to know who won elections here - we still lose.

Posted by
Regular Visitor
  • You have posted 5 replies to the community. Thank you for keeping the conversations going!

Message 321 of 410

Finally noticed that Weather Scan for Alexandria VA (Comcast Channel 101) is back.  Thought it odd that it would be dropped since Comcast owns the Weather Channel (via NBC Universal) and makes ad $ from the banners running underneath.  

Posted by
Frequent Visitor

Message 322 of 410
Not Seattle DMA...lucky you!
Posted by
Contributor

Message 323 of 410

Swoozie, yes, KHCF is run by a religious channel. They are broadcasting several channels:

43-1

43-2

43-11

Make sure you put in 43-11 or 43.11 in your digital tuner for over the air to get the Weather. If it's a commercial it should come around shortly. Try to make sure you enter 43.11 and don't wind up on 43.2 which IS religious programming

And no to the other thread, we did not get 101 back here in New Mexico, either.

Posted by
New Poster

Message 324 of 410

Please bring back Weatherscan.     I would trade Weatherscan for the weather channel anyday.     My father also would like weatherscan back,  he is very unhappy that it is gone.   Thank you!

Posted by
Frequent Visitor

Message 325 of 410

AriesDan - Found it. It is 43.3 KNMQ for us. We have 1 tv hooked up to a digital converter with rabbit ears. Will just leave it tuned to 43.3 for weather.  Thanks!

Posted by
Contributor

Message 326 of 410

Not true JayInAlg,

The Weatherscan channel is up and running just fine on DISH TV!  In fact, DISH TV offers all the channels Comcast does plus twice as many more and for half the price <for now!>  However, just like Comcast cable, many of those channels are garbage just like Comcast's.  I would like a Cable Expert to tell me why we have to pay for PAID PROGRAMMING?  Isn't that programming already paid for?

Posted by
Cable Expert

Message 327 of 410

The Weatherscan on Dish is not the same as the Comcast branded "exlusive to Comcast Weatherscan" that ran on local computers in the local headends.

The generic name is the same, but not the product.

Community Icon
I am not a Comcast employee, I am a paying customer just like you!
I am an XFINITY Forum Expert and I am here to help. For information on the program click here.
We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit from the conversation.

Community Icon
I am not a Comcast employee. I am a paying customer just like you!
I am an XFINITY Forum Expert and I am here to help.
We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit.

Community Icon
I am not a Comcast employee.

Was your question answered?
Mark it as a solution!solution Icon

Posted by
Contributor

Message 328 of 410

Swoozie, Awesome... your gain.. Comcast's loss! Glad I could help you.

Not quite as good as WeatherScan but it does come around every Weather on the 5's and runs for a several minutes.

Enjoy!

Posted by
Contributor

Message 329 of 410

Gosh JayInAlg, the differences between Comcast and DISH Weatherscan products are hardly discernible.  One thing for sure that makes the DISH Weatherscan product much better, is that it is AVAILABLE!

Posted by
Frequent Visitor

Message 330 of 410

Still NOTHING on 101 for the Seattle DMA...and I suspect for MOST if not all DMAs. Thanks for nothing COMCAST! I know you're use to hearing that

Posted by
Contributor

Message 331 of 410

More doinking around with Weather programming by Comcast. Gee thanks...

For a while we had to tune to the SD Weather Channel (channel 53) in order to view the weather banner across the bottom for the local weather. Now we have to tune to the HD Weather Channel (which is channel 835).

I also see that  the Weather on the 8's on '53' isn't pushed for the local weather anymore, just some kind of generic "America's Weather" feed. I have to tune to the HD Weather to get the local Weather on the 8's.

So they just can't leave anything alone. You've heard about the expression "Everyone talks about the weather but no one does anything about it?" More like "Everyone likes to watch the weather on TV, but ComCast just can't leave it alone..."

Posted by
Frequent Visitor

Message 332 of 410

AriesDan - I noticed the difference the other day, too.  We are fortunate to be living in this part of the country where our weather is fairly stable with 4 seasons - no hurricanes, tornados, nor'easters (sp?), extreme hot or cold. We don't have to be on the lookout for that type of weather, having to stay glued to the TV for continuous weather updates. Usually the local news/weather gives what we need for the day, provided you're adept and alert at listening (they talk so fast) and watching (cuz the screen only stays on your little town for a second). That's what I miss about WeatherScan - if I missed the local news/weather, I would switch it to WS and get the update right away and I was good for the day. Now, I catch WeatherNation on our non-Comcast enabled TV. :-)

Posted by
Frequent Visitor

Message 333 of 410

Aries Dan - Are you getting signal from Weather Nation? The last couple of days all I am getting are rainbow bars, no picture and I can't find any info about what is going on.  XXXXX I hope this weather station hasn't been taken away too.

Posted by
Problem Solver

Message 334 of 410

In late September another weather channel was added to the Huntsville, AL area. The local channel WAAY partnered with WeatherNation to create it. I do not know what Comcast tier is required to get it since it is not listed in their official lineup yet. However I do get it on my DTA so at least people with Digital Starter should be getting it.

WeatherNation TV
Broadcast: 31.2
Comcast: 207

WOW: 132

The channel features regional and national weather from WeatherNation TV with local forecasts from the WAAY weather team, every 10 minutes on the 5's.

WAAY-TV, WeatherNation TV partner to provide 24/7 weather coverage in north Alabama
http://www.al.com/business/index.ssf/2014/09/waay-tv_in_huntsville_weathern.html

Posted by
Contributor

Message 335 of 410

Gee that's great Mister Ed. But I don't live there, I live in New Mexico.

I've had it with Comcast. The only way to contact them is waiting on the phone for someone who may or may not have a clue what your actual issue is. Or this forum, which again, someone may or may not even get back to you. And even when you report an issue... the solution: we can send you new equipment or we can send someone out.

What they don't tell you is they will BILL you for both of these ($15.00 for the DIY kit, $50.00 for the technician) unless you scream and protest.

I've had it. I'm cutting the cable cord as soon as I can. Even if I wait and BUY the DVD set for each of my favorite shows seasons it's less than what I'm shelling out to Comcast every month after month after every month.

Just cut my 2nd cord out of formerly three cable boxes in my house today.

Two down and 1 to go... and Amazon is FedEx'ing my Roku....

B'bye Comcast... looking forward to my LAST cable bill... soon, very soon...

Posted by
Contributor

Message 336 of 410

Swoozie, I think it was the weather. It's intermittent at times, especially when the host station is changing things around.

I did find the same feed on both 11.2 (Albuquerque feed) and 43.3 (Santa Fe feed).

Yes, sometimes it's a bit dicey if the host station is tweaking things, but hey, this is what Comcast drove us to.

As I said in my previous post, I'm planning on cutting all my Comcast Cable cords by the end of the year.

Starting a New Year without a cable bill? That's what I'm looking forward to in 2015!!

Posted by
Contributor

Message 337 of 410

Oh and by the way... I'm finding the local stations over the air are a BETTER signal than what was coming over the Comcast Wire anyway... imagine that... B'Bye Comcast... soon, very soon...

Posted by
Problem Solver

Message 338 of 410

-----------------------------------------------
AriesDan wrote:

I should made it more clear in my post. The point I was trying to make is this. If Comcast does not provide the service of local weather forecasts then maybe we should look to local broadcast channels to fill the void. In my case a local channel partnered with WeatherNation to do this. Has anyone looked into whether this is possible where they live?

Posted by
Contributor

Message 339 of 410

MisterEd51 wrote:

AriesDan wrote:

I should made it more clear in my post. The point I was trying to make is this. If Comcast does not provide the service of local weather forecasts then maybe we should look to local broadcast channels to fill the void. In my case a local channel partnered with WeatherNation to do this. Has anyone looked into whether this is possible where they live?

If you had read the posts I addressed to Swoozie, this is EXACTLY what I told her how to do.

Posted by
Contributor

Message 340 of 410

MisterEd51 wrote:
The point I was trying to make is this. If Comcast does not provide ... service ... then maybe we should look to local broadcast channels to fill the void.

Good Point, Mister Ed.

And that is exactly what I am doing because Comcast continues to raise rates while failing to provide service of all sorts.

2 Comcast Cords cut... 1 to go... by 01/01/2015... or sooner... Stay Tuned...

Posted by
Frequent Visitor

Message 341 of 410

Weather Nation is back. Must have been the 'weather' that knock it off.

Posted by
Frequent Visitor

Message 342 of 410

I'm the SwoozieB - and I'm doing Weather Nation local via rabbit ears.

Posted by
Contributor

Message 343 of 410

I wonder why Comcast has chosen to reinstate the Weatherscan channel for some areas and not others.  It would be interesting to find out if those areas that suddenly have the Weatherscan channel back are Congressional Districts which have Representatives on a committee deciding whether Comcast should be allowed to gobble up Time Warner?  Hmmm....

Posted by
Regular Visitor

Message 344 of 410

Comcast is cconstantly screwing up on Weatherscan (Channel 101 in Alexandria VA).  No nefarious reasons -- just plain incompetence and not having to care because they have a monopoly.  On 11/25, right before winter storm "Cato," Weatherscan for Alexandria disappeared again.  I reported via a very unsatisfactory chat with a pleaant but clueless rep.  Anyway, it reappeared on 11/28.

Posted by
Problem Solver

Message 345 of 410

-------------------------------------------------
Osbueno wrote:
I wonder why Comcast has chosen to reinstate the Weatherscan channel for some areas and not others.  It would be interesting to find out if those areas that suddenly have the Weatherscan channel back are Congressional Districts which have Representatives on a committee deciding whether Comcast should be allowed to gobble up Time Warner?  Hmmm....
-------------------------------------------------

I live in Huntsville, Alabama. We have never lost the Weatherscan channel. It helps that we have a local National Weather Service office which has close ties with a local university (UAH). Note we did lose the Weatherscan channel on our DTAs because the channel was bumped up to the Performance tier instead of the Digital Starter one.

The National Weather Service is overseen by the Science, Space, and Technology committee in the House. It may be more relevant that our local House Representative Mo Brooks is on that committee. One of our Senators Jeff Sessions is on the

Senate Judiciary Committee but I do not know how much influence he has on it.

Posted by
Contributor

Message 346 of 410

In the Tampa area Brighthouse has it's own first rate 24/7 weather/news channel plus a great web presence with the weather (Klystron 9). I wish Comcast would do that with larger local markets.  I spend 3 months per year there the other 9 in the southeast Michigan (Detroit) area so I can compare the two.

Posted by
Contributor

Message 347 of 410

Dear Mister Ed, as I noted before, it doesn't seem to matter to Comcast 'weather' <pun intended>, that the local market has Academic or National weather credentials; as it might be Alabama's six-to-one representation in the US Congress.{;-)

Posted by
Regular Visitor

Message 348 of 410

Comcast - Please bring back Weatherscan. It was a very useful channel as the Weather channel does not give good regional weather and besides that they have very little weather anymore with all their shows running. I also enjoyed having it for background with the music and rotating weather information. Please bring it back!!

Posted by
New Poster

Message 349 of 410

Same here. As of today in Eugene, I can get Corvalis weather on the 8s in HD, but not Eugene. And on 47, I get what used to be on 747 (HD) which is the national weather broken into quadrants. This sucks! I will be pulling my Comcast TV soon and going to the old antenna.

Posted by
Frequent Visitor

Message 350 of 410

Add me to the list of disgruntled folks. Weatherscan was one of the most useful channels on the dial. I'd much rather have it back than most of the tripe that is still offered. Please bring it back to Independence, MO.