discussions

Weather Scan Channel

ANSWERED
Cable Expert
Moved:

Re: Weather Scan Channel Going Away????

New Poster

TWC is NOT, repeat NOT a replacement for Oregon Channel 127

I see Comcast has clearly upset a lot of customers and clicking Kudo's to so many posts of the same opinion will just fall on deaf ears. But, TWC - The Weather Channel barely ever broadcasts weather, and when it does, it's for the eastern United States at best. We just had a severe weather storm shoot up the Willamette Valley twice this week. We have livestock. Channel 127 was critical to our daily care of our animals. We could judge EVERYTHING weather based on that channel. We referred to that channel over 15 times daily, minimum. When something is so in demand, so critical to daily routines, why on earth would you cancel it? Everyone I seen was posting a complaint to the fact this channel, in whatever numerical location, was cancelled nationwide. When it's viewed more often than local news, why would this cancellation occur? Who owns the channel? Who's decision was it to remove it from the lineup? My mom is 78 years old. She does not know how, nor does she want to learn, how to look up weather.com. Did you know this removal of the channel was going to cause such a commotion? Was this on purpose? I know your digital system tracks what we watch, and for how long, so it's no mystery to you at Comcast that this was a channel in high demand. A response, such as the ones to other posts referring to a change in the bundles or locations of the channel is unacceptable. It is not even located in one of the options for bundling, which tells me it's completely gone. What happened? Who is responsible and where can we all go for an answer acceptable to our dissatisfaction?

Problem Solver

Re: TWC is NOT, repeat NOT a replacement for Oregon Channel 127

It's simple,  

the weather company either decided to no longer have a broadcast channel, or ....

they demanded higher payments from Comcast because the channel is so popular & Comcast (which is making Record profits btw) refused to pay higher payments, & so the channel was removed.

New Poster

colorado weather

SUCH A SHAME TO LOSE CHANNEL 131 (24 HOUR LOCAL WEATHER FEED).

THE RADAR IMAGES AND LOCAL ALERTS ARE VERY IMPORTANT TO ALL OF US HERE,

THE WEATHER CHANNEL (61) SEEMS CONTENT ON SHOWING THEIR OWN

COLLECTION OF SERIES TYPE TV. PLEASE CONSIDER BRINGING BACK THIS VERY VITAL CHANNEL, IF IT MAY SERVE YOU.....

Frequent Visitor

Re: Seattle DMA

I wish TWC would put Weatherscan on ROKU...so we could fill in a zip code and view the same product we had via Comcast. Agree with the poster above...TWC does not do weather after 5pm PT. If space is an issue drop TWC and return Weatherscan. In next months bill there was a note...for the Seattle DMA...WeatherNation will be replaced with Cozitv. There goes another option, although inferior to Weatherscan.

Frequent Visitor

Re: Weatherscan

Post complaints here as well: https://www.facebook.com/pages/Weatherscan/30724641767

Contributor

Re: Seattle DMA

Cozi? Aren't they an online family organizer app thingy - just bought by Time Inc (partnered now with Comcast)?

Frequent Visitor

Not supporting Comcast dropping the local weather feed on 101 but it is easy to share the link for a replacement. It is a simple thing for Comcast to replace the feed. It's a money thing.  $$$  :-)  

http://www.weather.com/weather/map/interactive

Just simply type in your zip code and pic which map you want.

Contributor

This list is Weather Channel advertisers collected between 1pm and 1:30pm Tuesday 7/15.  They appear in the order their ads appeared.  None were added or removed.  The only ads not included are of program announcements (Bravo mostly).

state farm
legal zoom
febreze
round-up
home depot
petco
hotwire
lays
behr marquee
midas
energizer
dr. scholl's
davis & crump attorneys at law
kerasal nail
minties
progressive
totino's pizza rolls
dodge ram
long john silver's
k12.com

A polite note along the lines of (see below) would probably do more than any complaint to Comcast or the FCC ever could:

"While advertising on the low-rated and nearly useless Weather Channel is, of course, your business, the recent maneuver to drop the far superior Weatherscan from the Comcast lineup just to gin up Weather Channel viewership means that the Weather Channel has become a positive menace in my life.  I will not claim that it's impossible I will find I require your products and services in the future, but I want you to know that as long as you continue to advertise on the Weather Channel I intend to lean strongly in favor of doing business with your competitors instead.  Please consider dropping the Weather Channel for your ads.  Thank you."

Hope this helps.

New Poster

Re: Channel missing?

As a result, Comcast must sometimes remove channels that have lower viewership to make space for higher valued, more popular channels and to keep our channel line-ups consistent across markets.

Really, C-Span has greater viewership than Weather Scan?

New Poster

here in washington state in snohomish county they pulled Weathescan entirely and they even deleted the channel number from sellectable channels you can channel up or down from or enter the number directly. it just goes to the next closest higher channel in the line up when u enter in the channel number of what weatherscan was

Frequent Visitor

Good idea.... avoiding the Weather Channel  advertisers.  Only way to get attention is to hit corporate pocketbooks. 

Contributor

Boycotting some of these places and items is not an option for where we live because we don't have a lot of choices especially where Home Depot is concerned. It's Lowes, Home Depot and leftovers from Wally World. And giving up Comcast is difficult because Dish and Direct TV aren't any better. What I've done and am doing is boycotting certain tv channels and tv shows. Giving up TWC is easy cuz I didn't do it before and sure won't be doing it now. Our local news is great with weather alerts and we have the news starting at 4:30 am through out the day until 11 pm.  Of course I have to wait for them to give the news before I know what is gonna happen, not instaneous like WeatherScan. Also I have Not-So-AccuWeather on my Not-So-Smart phone.

Contributor

Exactly what was done here in Albuquerque. I missed the notice that Comcast was doing away with Weather Scan, too.  One day there, next day gone.

New Poster

Weaterscan 101

Weather Scan needs to be re-instated! Weather Scan Channel 101 was the only place to get current Seattle LOCAL weather, radar and warnings; regular Weather Channel has too much fluff and commercials. It was the channel that we went to in our house the most. NEEDS TO BE PUT BACK ON OR SOMETHING COMPARABLE!

New Poster

Re: Weaterscan 101

depending on cost I asked for channel 101 to be reinstated and was told it would be that was months ago i'm still waiting
New Poster

Turned on my TV today to check the weather and instead of Weatherscan I was greeted by the hot garbage that is the Weather Channel instead.  They were showing commercials, not the weather.

This is an absolute disgrace.  The number of reasons why you would use Comcast for television are rapidly dwindling.

New Poster

My entire household is heartbroken at the loss of the weatherscan channel, which was Channel 101 in our viewing area of extreme north-central Cass County.  I remember the delightful day I stumbled across that channel and it became my favorite from that day forward.   We loved the instant weather stats and even more important....the regional radar.  Important when I am about to start a ten mile walk.  The original Weather channel just isn't that helpful anymore because they are always running lengthy weather stories and just don't give the full-screen indepth  " Local on the 8's" like they did originally.  When we want to check weather in an instant, there was never anything as valuable as the weatherscan channel 101.  We are retired so we watch plenty of television, but the constant radar/stats channel was our #1 use....because we are still very active outdoors.  The regional radar is very helpful, too, for planning a day trip or a brief trip one state away.  

This has really tainted our attitude toward Comcast.  Comcast should seriously reconsider this ill-founded decision to cancel weatherscan. Our disappointment has not faded, so don't count on that. 

New Poster

Weatherscan

Along with many others I too wish to object to your removal of channel 101, Weatherscan, from the lineup.  That was the best source of up-to-datelocal weather information, far better than the weather channel which we have stopped watching because of its "programming," series, etc. all of which have nothing to do with our current weather.  When can we expect it to return?

Contributor

"...Turned on my TV today to check the weather and instead of Weatherscan I was greeted by the hot garbage that is the Weather Channel instead.  They were showing commercials, not the weather..."

Did you jot down who's commercials they were ?

Contributor

NEWS FLASH:  WEATHERSCAN FOUND!!!!

The live weather doppler radar has been Shabghai'd!  The channel has been pressed into  service covering - TYPHOON RAMMASUN.

Good thinking COMCAST, err The Weather Channel.

Too bad the associated Chinese commercials/storm stories/cartoons aren't included.

Contributor

Don't know where you live, but here in the Detroit area, it's on bright and clear.

Contributor

SwoozieB,

In the Denver area (market) we managed to find a 'quasi' realtime Doppler radar feed on one of our local news/weather 'retail' channels... online.  COMCAST won't let me post the link, so, figure this out:

http:**kdvr.com*weather*maps-and-radar*interactive-radar*, where * = /

I believe this local news channel's Doppler radar is powered by 'PinPoint Weather'... a reasonable alternative to The Weather Channel <choice?>  However, Albuquerque most likely has a local over the air news/weather channel with the same online features.

Stupid is what stupid does...  COMCAST is pushing its customer base to find alternatives to the services they no longer provide.

Contributor

Ha!  Got it. :-)  Our local channel KOB (NBC) site also has pinpoint radar and the other 2 major tv sites have similar setups. Think I will take a slow scan on the remote and see exactly what each channel is offering, skipping the shopping channels of course. Maybe I missed some weather out there in tv land.

New Poster

I hear ya'! I'm ticked too! I miss it and want it back!!
Contributor

Jimis65, count your blessings, or perhaps there is more than one cable provider in Detroit?

Cable Expert
Moved:

Post removed for forum guideline violation, nanny filter. See the forum guidelines fhttp://forums.comcast.com/t5/Forum-Guidelines/Posting-Guidelines/td-p/866289

New Poster

Weatherscan is only one of the handiest and most useful channels around.  I will drop all of the channels that I can live without to punish the dummies.

New Poster

I wish I could speak as eloquently as jcmn...and I completely agree with everything they had to say. 

I was shocked to find Weatherscan missing from my lineup this past week.  When I contacted Comcast to complain, I was told it was the decision of the Weather Channel to remove it.  In searching the Weather Channel site, I found it is the PROVIDER who makes these decisions (as I suspected all along).  PLEASE bring back Weatherscan.  Local on the 8's is NOT a viable substitute.  When the unpredictable Midwest weather turns, we need immediate notification/radar images to stay safe. I know I am speaking for all of my family members and friends who won't/can't contact you and who want to see it back. Weatherscan provided a valuable, lifesaving tool for your customers. Please reconsider your decision and help keep communities across the US safe.

Thank you.

Valued Contributor

Still have in Pittsburgh/keystone region. Same as always. Need to update music just maybe.
Contributor

medziatkowicz wrote:
Still have in Pittsburgh/keystone region. Same as always. Need to update music just maybe.

Trust me on this. It will go away soon. Just like it has for the rest of us.

Valued Contributor

I doubt that.
Regular Contributor

Wetherscan

Has Weatherscan change channels or been removed from the line up completely?

Gold Problem Solver
Regular Contributor

Re: Wetherscan

Thank ya'

Frequent Visitor

Re: Wetherscan

I would like to add my voice to those who are upset with the loss of WeatherScan. I'm sure it will fall on deaf ears since Comcast has demonstrated time and again how little they are concerned with customer satisfaction.  I've been considering finding another provider for some time...getting pretty close to "last straw" time.

New Poster

What is wrong with you? The public has paid for you to provide valuable local services. You are granted a monopoly solely by the public. Therefore, you have a responsibility to provide local Doppler radar. People will die because of this. It is irresponsible. You are murderers. MURDERERS. Doppler radar was created for one purpose. To save lives. You say I can get local weather on the Weather channel every 10 minutes. That is a lie. The weather channel provides some information some times about the local weather. But if that conflicts with Hurricane or Tornado or Storm Stories it does not even show up. The public deserves a lot better you money grubbing greedy MURDERERs. Fix this before people die from your greed. Recall that you could easily lose your local licenses if the public turns against you in contract meetings. You are rolling the dice, but all that has to happen is one story about people that die because they did not know how severe the local weather was. I am shocked, appalled, and dismayed.
Frequent Visitor

partee, love your contribution to the ongoing disucssion. it is dismaying, and appalling that a simple product offering like the regional weather scan is thrown overboard. and I agree totally....the claim that you can get the same thing on the weather chanel is laughable. More to the point, everyone I've talked to at Comcast...and it has been many....they remind me that I can get this same information online...that there are many internet sites blah, blah, blah, and afterall, the whole world is on the internet for everything...or mobile devices...nobody watched television...which makes me laugh considering that Comcast is an cable television service company....

New Poster

We just lost our Weatherscan last week, and I am totally PO'd. The one channel that I depended upon for weather info, especially during those times of internet outage when the cable was still working. I agree 100% that it should be viewed as a public service and kept on the air. Everybody would check in on it every day even in fair weather if only to see how hot or cold it was going to be. Plenty of public places would have it on all the time. I just saw a weather alert for thunderstorms scroll across the channel I was watching, and I started to switch to 101 and get the scoop.....but I couldn't. Its gone. Using a phone for this is ridiculous - I don't do that unless I'm away. There is no substitute for Weatherscan. I have a feeling that whomever is behind this will ultimately pay a heavy price.

New Poster

My subscription to Comcast will be expiring shortly and I will be moving back to Frontier without even giving them a chance to offer something better.  After all, they didn't ask for my input on removing weatherscan from the lineup so why should I give them any consideration at all.

New Poster

I am happy to report that shortly after complaining to my local Comcast office and posting on-line, my local Weatherscan returned to our lineup!  I know it wasn't my one voice, as I am sure there was a major uproar from the local farmers when it went off air, but whatever it took, I am relieved.  I am always a little apprehensive when I switch to Channel 22 (I just checked it this morning), but for now, I am happy knowing when bad weather is in the area, I can watch up to the minute radar.  Thanks, Comcast for taking your customers needs into consideration on this decision!

Contributor

Cindy:

Well must be nice, they sure have NOT restored it to the channel line up here in New Mexico.... so who knows?

Frequent Visitor

Hasn't returned to 101 in Seattle DMA either...still waiting.
Contributor

Still waiting here in Independence, Missouri for WeatherScan channel 101 to come back. Comcast won't even acknowledge the problem. The Weather Channel is worthless.

Contributor

The Weatherscan channel 212 is still missing in Denver too... apparently some Comcast customers are more special than others?

Contributor

The only thing that Comcast brought back to Albuquerque is a raise in our cable bill yet again. :-(

Problem Solver

WeatherScan used to be available if you had Digital Starter or higher. Now you have to have Digital Preferred or higher to get it.

For the people that have lost WeatherScan...Was it removed entirely for everyone in your area or did you lose it because you don't have at least Digital Preferred?

For example I have Digital Preferred so I get WeatherScan on my main TV but not on my other TVs because they only have DTAs.

Contributor

I have Digital Preferred and channel 101 where we used to get Weatherscan is no longer available. Now all we have is the Weather Channel.

Contributor

We have full Comcast, (minus a couple of premium channels), do not get Weather Scan (101). Not available no matter what. The Weather Channel sucks.

Contributor

Don't know what to say Mister Ed,  either some Comcast customers are special, or they have the benefit of choosing another provider,  Does anyone know if the Weatherscan channel is available on DIRECT TV, DISH, CenturyLink Prism, or other competing cable providers in their area?  I am fixing to run a comparison by signing up for trial services from the other providers at my location.  Stay tuned...