New to the Community? Start here.

members

online now

discussions

Weather Scan Channel

ANSWERED
New Poster

Re: Weather Scan Channel Going Away????

Why would you get rid of the weather scan on channel 101?  It is one of the most used channels on our system, and apparently on many others' systems as well.

Contributor

Because, like OIL, it's a matter of Bandwidth this time... Go NET-NEUTRALITY!  Stop these US cable/internet tyrants... like we did with STANDARD OIL!!!!!!!!!!

TIME-WARNER Users, you have a good provider... don't let COMCAST MONOPOLIZIES your service!

Service Expert

Osbueno wrote:

Because, like OIL, it's a matter of Bandwidth this time... Go NET-NEUTRALITY!  Stop these US cable/internet tyrants... like we did with STANDARD OIL!!!!!!!!!!

TIME-WARNER Users, you have a good provider... don't let COMCAST MONOPOLIZIES your service!

I'm curious why you think that Time Warner customers have a good provider?  In my area of Time Warner Weatherscan disappeared years ago, leaving us with only The Weather Channel or local Fox, ABC, CBS and NBC networks to rely on for severe weather updates.  I'm sure there are other TW areas that don't have Weatherscan, either.

Community Icon
I am not a Comcast employee, I am a paying customer just like you!
I am an XFINITY Forum Expert and I am here to help. For information on the program click here.
We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit from the conversation.
Was your question answered? Mark it as an accepted solution!solution Icon
Community Icon
I am not a Comcast employee. I am a paying customer just like you!
I am an XFINITY Forum Expert and I am here to help.
We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit.
Community Icon
I am not a Comcast employee.

Was your question answered?
Mark it as a solution!solution Icon

Contributor

In response to:

Let your senators and representatives know what you think.

Lee- wrote:

I got a response here from a rep saying that the state is not empowered.  That the gov't is not empowered to change chanel lineups.  FCC is as close as it gets.  But if you write, write to the Federal level Congressmen.  Things need to change in any case; the consumer needs to be empowered!

Lee, I think the poster was referring to the merger between Time Warner Cable and Comcast. According to Wikipedia: Comcast is currently in the process of obtaining permission from both the FCC and US. Dept of Justice to complete the acquisition.

I think the implication was to tell your senators and representative why you are opposed to allowing the deal to occur.

Frequent Visitor

PurrSuede wrote;

Lee, I think the poster was referring to the merger between Time Warner Cable and Comcast. According to Wikipedia: Comcast is currently in the process of obtaining permission from both the FCC and US. Dept of Justice to complete the acquisition.

I think the implication was to tell your senators and representative why you are opposed to allowing the deal to occur.

_____________________________________________________________________________________________________

Agree with what you say, PurrSuede on the merger issue.  But I was told to write your Federal level congressmen to know your complaint  about channel line (weatherscan in this instance)  and why the FCC needs to change the hands off policy onbroadband channel lineup.  There is no recourse really as it stands.  Comcast can do what it likes in dropping, changing, or adding channels  until the regulation by the FCC changes.

Regular Visitor

Does anyone know if Dish or DirecTv offer the weatherscan channel?  I will switch providers to get it back!  Thanks.

Contributor

Watching the national weather channel for local weather information is like watching MTV to listen to music.

Contributor

Teel, I didn't find it in their lineup anywhere.

A look at Wikipedia for Weatherscan implies it's available on Dish Network, however I looked at DISH's promo page and they don't list it.

I did find an over the air channel called WeatherNation. People can google the service if interested. But it really sucks to toggle off Comcast to the "on the air" and they really only do a "local on the 5's" much like TWC's Weather on the 8's

As Comcast implies, looks like we're being pushed to view this over the air, internet or app. If it wasn't for a few channels that I still like on cable, I'd consider cutting the wire and going "over the air".

Like you, I'm reevaluating my choice in provider after being with Comcast for years.

New Poster

The removal of Weatherscan by Comcast is outrageous! (It happened here in Eugene about a week ago.)  I had Dish Network before changing to Comcast a few years back. As I recall Dish had a channel similar to Weatherscan, so I'm considering going back to satellite. No notice about the removal of Weatherscan appeared on my monthly bill, online or print, so I was hoping it was only temporarily missing, but it seems Comcast's long-term strategy is to gradually remove the channel from all its cable systems. If you still have it, it is probably only for a short while. Does Comcast really think the useless Weather Channel, which has become just a string of canned reality programming for much of the day, is comparable to Weatherscan? If so, it doesn't say much for their understanding of the channels they carry. No wonder Comcast is well known as one of the most disliked utility companies by their own customers.

Silver Problem Solver

PurrSuede

Weather Nation is offered in Minnesota on the Limited Basic tier. Sub-channel of the area NBC station.

Carriage is pretty much dependent on a local station having it and then the station and Comcast need to come to terms.

In my area it replaced a weather feed that the NBC station had.

Almost like the old Weather Channel was when it first started. They break in with local updates from the local stations weather staff, sometimes the local breaks are recorded from the newscast. But it is a option.

Frequent Visitor

I got the premium bundle to get the Weatherscan on channel 101 here in Salt Lake City.  With no email notice the service was removed. If it does not return or a service that is equal to it in the next thirty days I will be downgrading my account. 

From the posts here on this forum it looks like this removal with no fore accouncment from the provider of this channel will be missed. 

Sadly it will not change anything, it is gone and like any other prvider of broadband service they will tell us what we want not listen to what we really want.

New Poster

The weather channel was very important to me and was watched all the time. It needs to be put back on immediately, Comcast made the wrong decision.

New Poster

Please put weather scan back on. This is the best channel and nothing comes close to it. How can this channel be removed? This channel really set comcast apart from dish companies and I don't see any reason this is gone!
Tags (1)
New Poster

Re: weatherscan

Comcast told me they dropped Weatherscan, ch 127 here, about a week ago in my area, The Pacific Northwest.

They always refer to now just use the Weather Channel. Not the same.

Then it dawned on me The Weather Channel has commercials and Weatherscan
dos not. Comcast or Xfinity? Hard to tell who they are? A monopoly of
highway robbers. They shut down the office on my end of town and make us drive
12 miles north to technically another city. They call this more service?
What a joke :-)

They predict on CNN they will increase rates by about 90% over the next six years and even more if their merger with Time Warner Cable is approved by the FTC making them a Super Monopoly!
New Poster

I agree with everyone else - I am very unhappy that Weather Scan has been removed. The "other" channel has so much other info that is not relevant to me - I loved Weather Scan because it was only our local weather. BRING IT BACK PLEASE!!!! I am also going to call and complain - maybe if enough of us call and complain it will come back!

New Poster

So the tornado sirens are now going off in my town and there was a funnel siting in a nearby town and the Weather Channel 35 is DOING NOTHING in warning. Oh, they are running a "COMCAST delivers" commercial right now. Well, there is no delivery of any alerts. We need 101 Weather Scan back.  I concur with the person who TAINTED comcast in Saturday's St. Paul Pioneer Press for dropping 101.

Valued Contributor

"the weather channel" doesn't do weather.  The channel has programming shows in the weekend & didn't even have any reports of weather, local, regional or national.  "the weather channel" is a lie if it doesn't report weather conditions in the HD version; the non-HD only has a banner bar for the current temp.

Frequent Visitor

Re: Where is Weather Channel 101 (Seattle area)?

Nothing will replace the accuracy and timeliness of WEATHERSCAN. Adding the HD Intellistar to the HD feed of The Weather Channel is basically useless as they start with their bs programming (non-weather) at 5 pm PT. WeatherNation is NOT live 24/7, although better than The Weather Channel. If you truly want to dump a useless channel for "space" reasons then The Weather Channel would be a good place to start. Directv did, they just didn't have the good sense to leave it off.l

Frequent Visitor

Re: Where is Weather Channel 101 (Seattle area)?

Well, the law is not on our side.  All Comcast has to do legally is tell you they are dumping a channel.  Nothing in the law states you can do anything to appeal the decision.  Unfortunately.  So, we the peope, are out of luck.  Pay the money and shut up is the message, it appears.   

New Poster

Re: Channel missing?

Bad decision to remove the weatherscan channel from the lineup.  Incredibly dissapointed in comcast's decision.

New Poster

Why is the weater channel 101 gone?

We are not happy that the weather channel 101 is gone!  The WEATHER CHANNEL is not good alternative.  Please get 101 back for your customers.

Problem Solver

Re: Why is the weater channel 101 gone?

WeatherScan was removed a long time ago. It basically duplicated The Weather Channel. There is an ongoing thread on here about its removal.
New Poster

Yes, it was removed a couple of weeks ago. Just wanted to find out WHY.  No really good answers from Comcast.

Silver Problem Solver

Unless somone with a RED username, a Comcast employee, posts the real reason we willl never know for sure.

Contributor

So, broe_23 Silver Problems Solver(?)

What's a long time ago?  Last month... maybe?

Clearly, you missed the pertinent part of this thread denouncing the false comparison between our beloved - WEATHERSCAN  channel with the fully deficient Weather Channel.  The Weather Channel is mainly a marketing and advertising profit channel for COMCAST.  The local WEATHERSCSAN channel is (or was) a very important community service channel, which provided CONTINUOUS REAL-TIME weather service in the event of local sever or extreme weather events.  COMCAST single mindedly yank this channel without so much of a courtesy heads-up to it's effected customers.

DON'T PLAN ON CHECKING YOUR LOCAL CABLE WEATHERSCAN CHANNEL IN CASE OF:

1. FIRE

2. TORNADO

3. FLOOD

4. HURRICANE

5. LOCAL DISASTERS REQUIRING IMMEDIATE EVACUATION.

The other part of this thread, which you may have missed too, suggested that one way to draw COMCAST management's attention to their unilateral decision...was to write to the COMCAST board of directors and ask if they approved of this Nation Wide impact on Comcast's customers and communities.

Official Employee

commanguy wrote:

Unless somone with a RED username, a Comcast employee, posts the real reason we willl never know for sure.

I did post a response earlier in the thread on June 13... re-posted below. 

All - Thanks for your continued and valuable feedback.  It has been noted and shared directly with our local and national programming teams that were involved with this decision. 

This was a decision made by Comcast. 

We regularly examine our programs and channels in an effort to bring our customers the best overall choices and the content they want the most.  As a result, Comcast must sometimes remove channels that have lower viewership to make space for higher valued, more popular channels and to keep our channel line-ups consistent across markets.

The Weather Channel is still available and provides localized weather every ten minutes on Local on the 8's.  We are also in the process of launching a localized HD Weather Channel feed across all markets. Many areas already have this new feature. 

Customers with our traditional on-screen program guide also have access to local updated weather forecasts via the guide's Main Menu, then select Local Weather.  There is a localized weather app available to customers with the X1 platform.

We have also found that most of our customers access this information through their mobile devices and the internet.

Thanks again for your feedback.

Community Icon
I am an Official Comcast Employee.
Official Employees are from multiple teams within Comcast: Product, Support, Leadership.
We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit from the conversation.

Community Icon
I am an Offical Comcast Employee.
Official Employees are from multiple teams within Comcast.
We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit.
Community Icon
I am a Comcast Employee.
Please post so people with similar questions may benefit.
Was your question answered?
Mark it as a solution!solution Icon
Frequent Visitor

I've read the official response.  It says nothing about Weatherscan not being profitable because of the lack of commercials.  Nor does it address "live" doppler radar feeds being available 24 hours a day. 

It simply redirects the consumer to a substandard source like Weather Channel.   That have text updates on the 8's (eight minutes after the hour).  Comcast message also doesn't address the additional services hardware that would be necessary to get a smart phone application or Internet access. 

The comments made on this thread are from people who have access to the Internet.  What about those who don't?  The message doesn't offer a solution other than weight for update on the 8's with no live radar.

Which makes official comment even more sour to read again.  This wasn't about viewership, it's about money.  It's not about local programming, it's about getting the cheapest, not inexpensive, content from Comcast.

Each day I read the same responses from Comcast.  Each day I discuss the value of having Comcast.  WeatherScan continues to be broadcasted on other providers.  Options like Free over the Air and simple Internet access to get broadcast content over seems a better idea over the rising costs of Comcast and the lack of local programming.

Contributor

The point of dumping Weatherscan was to boost viewership to the awful Weather Channel - which Comcast owns.

Congress, the FCC, etc ... not likely to do much against the lobbying power of what is fast becoming America's most formidable monopoly.

Wanna know what might have an impact on the loss of our beloved Weatherscan ?

Contact the Weather Channel's SPONSERS directly.

Tell them you are gonna pass on their products until they stop advertising on The Weather Channel.

The Weather Channel has always been subpar, and it has only gotten worse in the past year.  Only when it's finally laid to rest will this attempt to force us to watch it end.

Silver Problem Solver

Thanks ComcastTed

Missed your earlier posting.

Frequent Visitor

The Weather Channel is not the best overall choice.  It's weak in comparison to Weatherscan.  Give it another look.

Contributor

Comcast - not that you care but I am really upset with you removing the Weather Scan Channel 101 for Albuquerque. I used it, I liked it, it was a valuable service for me and my family.  Thanks for nothing and no kudos from us.

Contributor

Sweet SuzieQ, Comcast wizards wouldn't allow KUDOS to your post... so very sorry.

Contributor

Comcast TED, who's keeping score, or is anyone @comcast.com counting?

Frequent Visitor

Well folks, I have tried every  contact  with this complaint.  Got a call back from a Portland, Comcast  "account" rep and we discussed this issue from front to back.  His pushback was that the WeatherScan takes up a lot of bandwidth for low viewership.  I can't see their numbers, so I have to take his word. I can't believe the "Low viewing number" though judging from the protests here.  He explained it away with a brush off of  :"just a few, impassioned viewers" making their view known.  Bottomline, there will be no WeatherScan, no matter what  we, the customers, say.   They "might put together  something similar to the WeatherScan" and offer it  "On Demand".  That's not certain he says.  And I am thinking, so are you going to charge us more for the service, a service that has a "low viewing number"??   I think we are wasting our time here.   They have taken this channel down in the West already, and that is that.  If you find this forum therapeutic, go ahead and post.  But I think it's a done deal.  The business model of media owneship in this country and the lack of government regulation means there is no control by the consumer. This is not an individual issue; it has to  be done  on an organized level. 

New Poster

I was furious when Weather Scan (channel 131 in Standard Definition) went away in Colorado Springs on 6.12.14.  It was one of the few channels I watched.  Most Comcast channels are worthless to me.    My email to Comcast's Customer Relations department about this issue resulted in a response that was pure pablum. A  note on my Comcast bill said I could get local weather on The Weather Channel (which, of course, does not compare at all with the Weather Scan information). About ten days ago Local on the 8s went away.  I now receive a worthless national feed for Locals of the 8s. 

Contributor

John777COS wrote:

... A  note on my Comcast bill said I could get local weather on The Weather Channel (which, of course, does not compare at all with the Weather Scan information). About ten days ago Local on the 8s went away.  I now receive a worthless national feed for Locals of the 8s. 

John, the Weather Channel in HD is missing the Local on the 8s local feed. Comcast said they were working to set that up. If you want to see your local version of Local on the 8s, try tuning the Low-Def/SD version of TWC instead.

And yes, that's crazy that you have to tune a Low-Def/SD version in order to see the Local on the 8s feed, but there you have it.

Comcast at it's finest...

Contributor

>>Customers with our traditional on-screen program guide also have access to local updated weather forecasts via the guide's Main Menu, then select Local Weather.  <<

Just checked it and there is a 10 degree difference between Comcast and actual temp. Very helpful.

ComcastTeds wrote:

commanguy wrote:

I did post a response earlier in the thread on June 13... re-posted below. 

All - Thanks for your continued and valuable feedback.  It has been noted and shared directly with our local and national programming teams that were involved with this decision. 

This was a decision made by Comcast. 

We regularly examine our programs and channels in an effort to bring our customers the best overall choices and the content they want the most.  As a result, Comcast must sometimes remove channels that have lower viewership to make space for higher valued, more popular channels and to keep our channel line-ups consistent across markets.

The Weather Channel is still available and provides localized weather every ten minutes on Local on the 8's.  We are also in the process of launching a localized HD Weather Channel feed across all markets. Many areas already have this new feature. 

Customers with our traditional on-screen program guide also have access to local updated weather forecasts via the guide's Main Menu, then select Local Weather.  There is a localized weather app available to customers with the X1 platform.

We have also found that most of our customers access this information through their mobile devices and the internet.

Thanks again for your feedback.

New Poster

Channel 101 weather scan

Comcast, bring back channel 101. Many of us used this everyday.  Now I have to log onto the Internet and bring up NOAA just to see the radar. I do not care for  Weather nation on 249 or TPT local weather & radar on 244.  Drop these channel instead and bring 101 back.

New Poster

Re: Channel 101 weather scan

comcast is not listening as ususal. I would never have comcast but my husband insists...he is a couch potatoe.

New Poster

patty25 wrote:

I think you can search at Comcast.com the name Tom Karinshak. Click on the first offering Hear from Tom Karinshak.  If you scroll to the bottom of the page you can click on Send Tom Feedback.

It is the only place I could find to write out a complaint.  I don't know if it will help but I hope so.

Yup, I found that link to Tom.  What a waste of time.  Tom's underlings answer the mail for him.  They also use the strategy of passing you off from one person to another.  I sent Tom an email asking why the Weather Scan channel went away.  Got a reply from underling #1 thanking me for requesting the Weather Scan channel.  Sent my request to their Programming department but couldn't promise the channel would be added to their lineup.  Huh?  Can't you read?:  So I sent a second email asking the same question.  This time underling #2 answered and totally ignored the issue.  Way to go Tom!!!!

Contributor

Great, I had one user name, had some account issues. Did a chat with Comcast "help". Someone put me on hold for over 40 minutes before I had to give up. Tried again with someone else a few days later.

They fixed my issues alright, gave me a new account, which means my old posts are no longer "mine" and I have to start over with a new user name.

Soooooooooo even in the forum, even in the account issues, Comcast is just one big mess.

I don't know why I expected them to pay attention to Channel #101 going away.

Frankly they are too big to care. It's like dealing with the government, Every time you talk to them you either get the standard answer or some other nonsense.

I won't even tell you what I went through trying to get 1 of 3 cable boxes squared away with the recent push/update.

Yes, just to remove and reprogram it screwed up all my cable boxes, one just wouldn't come back, spent hours and hours with Comcast trying to get it reset.

Also noticed they pushed the SD/Low-def Weather Channel to channel #53 from channel #35... why the heck would they do that when the pulled 101 Weather Scan as well??? 35 is Bloomberg? That channel couldn't possible need less bandwidth than the Weather Scan used to???

Comcast, I'm sorry you just get worse and worse and I keep asking myself why do I keep sending you so much money month after month...

All for a few channels I can't get over the air such as ESPN and TNT...

Contributor

I just hope that none of the folks on the East Coast who just dodged the latest Hurrincane were counting on COMAST WeatherScan for an up to the minute weather forecast via live Doppler Radar.  It seems so sturpid that Comcast would offer WeatherScan as a vital communite service, then yank the channel without so much of a how-do-you-do?

Otherwise, it must be great to see your porch swept away or , Gee why didn't we all head for the basement during a tornado... somewhere else...  instead of watching Storm Stories, and its compliment of commercials, during a local EMERGENCY!!!!!!

Problem Solver

We still have Weatherscan (101) on Digital Preferred & above. On the DTAs (equivalent Digital Starter) there is a placeholder for Weatherscan (101) but nothing is broadcast there.

Comcast also supports a channel called  Local Weather for Digital Starter & above. It has the followig information:

Left 3/4 of screen: Live local weather radar
Right 1/4 of screen: Temperature, Humidity, Wind Speed, Barometer, Dew Point, and Rainfall
Audio: NOAA Weather Radio messages (same as weather radio)

The Local Weather channel gets its information from our local NWS office.

Local Weather is no where as good as Weatherscan but is better tnan nothing.

Frequent Visitor

In summary,  we are talking among ourselves here.  Comcast is not going to change anything.  As I have posted earlier, each contact pushes back with the same answes or variations on a themer.  " The Weather Channel is still availabe, or we are working on something similar to WeatherScan but , don't know for sure when or if it will occur."  Or the other response is:  "Most people use their mobile devices to get the weather".  Or  "The weather channel takes up a lot of band width, and the viewership  is low."     or "What you are seeing on the forum is a small number of passionate people...."

I say again it will take an Organizational level of resistence to get a law passed that a community service channel like WeatherScan is to be included in each communication provider's channel lineup.  The FCC has to change the requirements of provision on these broadband businesses.  We, as individuals, can not do a  thing.  And our government is not likely to do squat about this issue.  

Problem Solver

--------------------------------------------
Lee- wrote
I say again it will take an Organizational level of resistence to get a law passed that a community service channel like WeatherScan is to be included in each communication provider's channel lineup.  The FCC has to change the requirements of provision on these broadband businesses.  We, as individuals, can not do a  thing.  And our government is not likely to do squat about this issue.
--------------------------------------------
The FCC can't just make it a requirement if there is nothing in the law that backs that up. Since you are so passionate about this I suggest you contact your Congressman to sponsor a bill to make this happen. If enough people did this then you might see something in the future. Otherwise nothing is ever going to happen.

You realize that nothing is free. Weatherscan has equipment costs and maintenance associated with them that each headend must pay. If carrying channels like Weatherscan becomes mandatory then the costs will eventually be passed on to subscribers in the form of rate hikes.

Contributor

MisterEd51 wrote:

Comcast also supports a channel called  Local Weather for Digital Starter & above. It has the followig information:

Right 1/4 of screen: Temperature, Humidity, Wind Speed, Barometer, Dew Point, and Rainfall

From the Main Menu on Digital Cable Menu there's an entry Local Weather

It has ONE line and nothing else:

Current Temp nn F, Mostly Clear hum xx %

gee, thanks soooooooooooooooo much, Comcast

Frequent Visitor

MisterEd 51  writes

You realize that nothing is free. Weatherscan has equipment costs and maintenance associated with them that each headend must pay. If carrying channels like Weatherscan becomes mandatory then the costs will eventually be passed on to subscribers in the form of rate hikes

=======================================================================================

We are  already paying outrageous fees for a lineup we have no say about. I  can't believe that there are not other channels that can not  be sacrificed with low viewership to allow for the WeatherScan.  Then there other channels I personally don't need if we were allowed ala carte.   I don't need all the sports since I don't follow them.   I don't need Spanish stations, etc.  So there are ways to keep costs in line. And even lower them if there was a genuine desire to change the current structure..

I have already written goverment  representatives and nothing has come of it, other than reciting that  the FCC only requires notification of change with 30 days.... which is totally off the point.    But I do agree with one of the gentlemen I spoke with at Comcast:  our media industry is really the main driver.  We have most of our media owned by a few corporations from which Comcast must purchase their content.  You guys provide the "pipes" and packaging  for delivery.  So its the ViaComs of the country that need addressing as well. .

Problem Solver

----------------------------------------------------------------------
AriesDan wrote:
------------------------------------------------------------
MisterEd51 wrote:

------------------------------------------------------------

From the Main Menu on Digital Cable Menu there's an entry Local Weather

It has ONE line and nothing else:

Current Temp nn F, Mostly Clear hum xx %

gee, thanks soooooooooooooooo much, Comcast

In case someone might have misundersood I was talking about Comcast Local Weather on channel 60 where I live. I don't bother to look at the weather information availlable from the cable menu because it is inferior to my other options. In any case for weather information I look at Weatherscan (ch 101) on my main TV and Comcast Local Weather (ch 60) on the TVs that have DTAs.

Contributor

MisterEd51 wrote:

In case someone might have misundersood I was talking about Comcast Local Weather on channel 60 where I live. I don't bother to look at the weather information availlable from the cable menu because it is inferior to my other options. In any case for weather information I look at Weatherscan (ch 101) on my main TV and Comcast Local Weather (ch 60) on the TVs that have DTAs.

And that's exactly our point, Mister Ed. They took away all our options ~except~ for the Weather Channel, and even that's in Lo-Def/SD for now... and only Local on the 8's.

I hope you will enjoy Weatherscan now while you have it because they will be coming to take it away from you soon, who knows maybe your Comcast Local Weather on #60 as well.

That's our whole point Ed. They took something away and left us with "inferior" options to what we had.  It's nice that you still have other options, but ours were taken away without any recourse or alternative and ~that~ is why people are voicing our displeasure here.

Not that "Comcast Cares". LOL

Problem Solver

For the areas that still have Weatherscan it is only available on Digital Preferred and above right now. I think as a public service they should carry it on all tiers. I know it is their decision and nobody elses but it would be a big sign of goodwill if they reverse their course on this.

As a sign of goodwill the cable companies banded together to form C-SPAN. It would be another sign of goodwill if all the cable companies got together and invested in something like Weatherscan that was available on all cable tiers. Of course that would only be a minimum. They would still be free to add any other weather channel such as The Weather Channel or WeatherNation.

If they all banded together they might be able to standardize the equipment used for something like Weatherscan and lower its cost. Maybe this would be enough to make the overhead costs more acceptable to the headends.