New to the Community? Start here.

members

online now

discussions

Weather Scan Channel

ANSWERED
New Poster

weather channel

what happened to the Weather Channel here in Sacramento?????????????????

New Poster

Re: Local Weather Channel

When we had the sense? to dump Dish & return to Comcast, I found what I missed most was channel 127.  Why has it been deleted. I use it before we go for a walk or a drive (work or casual) or even letting the dog out in the yard. Especially helpful during our stormy weather seasons. I looked at it about 1:30 this morning (6-12) to see how close today's rain was.....  Sheesh.......  M. in Lake Oswego

Gold Problem Solver

Re: weather channel

Check your recent bills. You may find a note that Comcast has removed the channel.

New Poster

Bring back weatherscan!!!!

Please please please! That channel was one of the best features of Comcast! Living in the Midwest and this channel was essential. Just another reason to get rid of cable....
Tags (1)
New Poster

Re: Weatherscan

Weatherscan is the best channel that you have offered, giving us consistent, detailed weather for our area.  Please bring it back!  The Weather Channel isn't    ... it is just a poor reality show that provides a few bits of weather every 10 minutes, not what we need locally to plan our day.

Service Expert

Re: weatherscan

Weatherscan and The Weather Channel are both owned by NBCUniversal, which is wholly owned by Comcast.

Community Icon
I am not a Comcast employee, I am a paying customer just like you!
I am an XFINITY Forum Expert and I am here to help. For information on the program click here.
We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit from the conversation.
Was your question answered? Mark it as an accepted solution!solution Icon
Community Icon
I am not a Comcast employee. I am a paying customer just like you!
I am an XFINITY Forum Expert and I am here to help.
We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit.
Community Icon
I am not a Comcast employee.

Was your question answered?
Mark it as a solution!solution Icon

Frequent Visitor

Re: Weather Scan Channel Going Away????

MisterEd51 wrote:

I suspect that each Comcast headend must rent the equipment from the Weather Channel if they want to carry this channel. Unfortunately because it costs Comcast money I don't think they carry Weatherscan on all their tiers.

Weatherscan and The Weather Channel are both owned by NBCUniversal and the investment firms The Blackstone Group and Bain Capital. If Comcast has to pay the Weather Channel, they are paying themselves.

New Poster

BRING BACK WEATHER SCAN !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

BRING BACK WEATHER SCAN CHANNEL !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! What lame desk jockey decides what the viewers need and want? Bring back the Weather Scan Channel ASAP !! Wwe use and view this channel multiple times daily and it is or was the best channel for doing so. The other weather channels are lame with too many added programs and talk talk talk. I want weather now! and not just having to wait for the 8 minute update on the Weather Channel. What desk jockey thinks the customers don't need this channel? We definately don't need all the extra Spanish channels. The desk jockey wants to cut costs then cut some of the other non wanted by customers stations that NOBODY watches. Get the Weather Scan Channel back on the air ASAP!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Tired of paying for those non needed or wanted channels and yearly cost increases for cable. Or is this an attempt to bring back Weather Scan for a cost increase which would be totally B.S.

New Poster

Please bring back Weather Scan Channel

Why is ComCast taking away Weather Scan, 131, when the Weather Channel is constantly showing anything but the weather.  The only way to see storms coming in is to watch Weather Scan.  Worthless, the whole cable thing is now worthless.  So much for community service.

New Poster

I am upset that weatherscan has been discontinued on comcast. Would it help if I requested that they bring it back?

New Poster

Re: BRING BACK WEATHER SCAN !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I wonder if dropping Weatherscan was Comcast's decision or The Weather Channel's?

Regular Visitor

Where is the Weather Scan channel?

Why was the Weather Scan channel removed from the Northern California Comcast, channel 101??

Please bring it back!

Tags (1)
Contributor

Re: Please bring back Weather Scan Channel

I just notiiced my weather channel 101 is gone. I tripled check it and thought maybe an outage occurred then I checked here and see it's true.

I enjoyed having it on in the backgroung and listening to the repetitive uplifting music. Yes please bring it back!!!

New Poster

Re: Please bring back Weather Scan Channel

One of the reasons I have cable is instant access to weather and news. CNN has programming instead of news cycles and now our only way to check radar is gone ... what the heck is wrong with folks. We live in the midwest ... we need access to ever changing weather condions. Please put Weatherscan cack in the lineup.
Contributor

Re: Where is the Weather Scan channel?

I AGREE, please bring it back !!!Smiley Sad

New Poster

We want it back, too!  We're in Washington state!  What happened to it????

Contributor

Re: Channel Gone

I live in Minnesota and I just found it on theSmiley Sad first page of my current bill about channel 101 no longer available as of 6/2014  Smiley Sad Smiley Sad Smiley Sad

New Poster

Re: awww man WeatherScan is gone!!

I need to have the weather channel to check the temp outside. I want channel 101 Back!!!!

Contributor

California isn't the only place affected. It's happening all over it seems.

New Poster

I AGREE!!!!  The Weather Channel is/WAS one of the reasons I subscribe to Comcast!  If it doesn't come back, that's just one more reason to try something else!  In Portland, OR, we really need it!

Problem Solver

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
1415steve wrote
Weatherscan and The Weather Channel are both owned by NBCUniversal and the investment firms The Blackstone Group and Bain Capital. If Comcast has to pay the Weather Channel, they are paying themselves.
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
NBC/Universal only has a 25% investment in the The Weather Company. It is a passive investor and plays no role in distribution matters. Each Comcast head end probably has a budget that it works under. It probabably leases the equipment from the The Weather Company to provide services like The Weather Channel and WeatherScan. There has to be a cost to do this although Comcast probably gets a discount for this.

As you can see the Weather Channel and Weatherscan are not free. The equipment costs that each Comcast head end pays has to be spread over the customers that receive these channels. The basic tier is not required to carry either of these channels. The basic tier probably has the least number of channels required to keep its cost as low as possible.

===================================================
"The Weather Company (TWCC Holdings: consortium owned by NBCUniversal (25%), The Blackstone Group, Bain Capital, exact Bain and Blackstone percentages unknownn)"
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Weatherscan
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Weatherscan
"NBCUniversal, which holds a 25 percent stake in the Weather Channel, is a passive investor and isn’t involved in the distribution talks"
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
DirecTV Loses Weather Channel in Subscriber-Fee Dispute
http://www.bloomberg.com/news/2014-01-14/directv-drops-weather-channel-in-subscriber-fee-dispute.htm...
"Weatherscan is available in many top markets around the US, although it's availability is nowhere near that of TWC. Many cable headends only offer Weatherscan only their digital cable lineup. Although a few cable headends also have the channel on their basic cable lineup. Verizon FiOS currently carries the network on their limited analog lineup in all areas it serves, but is in the process of making their entire lineup digital. Interesting to note, federal law requires that a cable system allow a person to get just basic cable (local broadcast channels & public, educational & governmental (PEG) channels) & digital service, without subscribing to expanded service where TWC is often carried."
The Weather Channel Wiki
http://weatherchannel.wikia.com/wiki/Weatherscan

Frequent Visitor

Late evening June 11th watched 127.  Morning, June 12 channel 127 was gone,  No longer listed in Comcast TV listing either.   Contacted Comcast customer service.  There was some confusion, on the Comcast side about whether it was the Weather Channel 47 and 747.  Few minutes later,  drove home the point was local weather on channel 127.

Customer service couldn't find either the new location of local weather or any updates on the comcast website (internal or external).  I notified them there was no banner at the bottom of 127 CH the previous night. 

Customer service escalated to management.  11 hours later, no update, no nothing.

I considered 127 mission critical because of the possible lightening storms in the area today.  Weather Channel 747 ony reports text condition, no radar, no real time updates except for hour delay in temp.  Yes, very fustrated and looking for options. 

Pay nearly $200 a month and this is the service level I get.  I see Verizon fiber is in my area; and there's always netflix or amazon.com to get movies and TV shows, just say'in.  Considering cutting my losses and going to another service and saving 50%.  Over the Air is another option that is looking sweeter by the moment.

New Poster

Good Call!  Comcast and NBC are flexing their muscles.......worked for the company.....it's all about the money, customer service is a front, the band width needed for the weather channel was MINUET, just a bad company

Frequent Visitor

Do you have a plan of action regarding Comcast?  I would like to here more options.

New Poster

I agree with everyone here. Please bring back WeatherScan. I love the 24/7 access to local weather. A big plus for Comcast if they bring it back.

Frequent Visitor

Smiley Wink But there's a zillion spanish channels. Maybe one of them is for weather. 

Frequent Visitor

As you can see the Weather Channel and Weatherscan are not free. The equipment costs that each Comcast head end pays has to be spread over the customers that receive these channels.

Nobody said Weatherscan was free. What everyone is saying is that Weatherscan has value. Comcast sells hundreds of stations that have zero value to me; they all cost too.

Furthernore, Weatherscan is an automated system, essentially a robot. There is no Sam Champion or Al Roker to pay.

Problem Solver

alternate weatherscan source

add your zipcode to the URL

http://www.weather.com/weather/tenday/

http://www.weather.com/weather/video-forecast/

there is also Xfinity local weather page

http://xfinity.comcast.net/local/

New Poster

Re: alternate weatherscan source

where is weatherscan on channel 101????????

New Poster

Anyone know if there is a way to request Comcast bring back Weatherscan? Does Comcast read these forums?

Frequent Visitor

I agree.  My family is very disappointed.

Gold Problem Solver

Again wrote: Weatherscan and The Weather Channel are both owned by NBCUniversal ...

Well, 25% worth. See http://forums.comcast.com/t5/Channels-and-Programming/Weather-Scan-Channel-Going-Away/m-p/2195014#M4...

Regular Visitor

Where is Weatherscan?  This is one of the few cable channels our family watched every day, first thing in the morning and last thing before going to bed.  This is too valuable a service to be discontinued.  PLEASE BRING WEATHERSCAN BACK!!   The "other" Weather channel doesn't meet the needs of the local communities.    

Service Expert

dj280 wrote:

Easy to do. However, many of us do NOT go to the computer first thing in morning. In my house the routine first thing is turn on the TV, put it on Weatherscan, get coffee, sit down and look at Weatherscan. ALL our tv's stay on Weatherscan if not watching something else. Weather at a glance, no going to desktop, waiting for it to load, then getting to the sites.

Not only that, but what about people who don't have internet? Yes, there are those who don't. If they have cable tv only and a package with Weatherscan they depend on the TV for it.

Watching the Weather Channel is not a good option because one has to wait for Local on the 8's. I have better things to do than stay glued to a station waiting on that because if I don't stay glued to it I'll miss it.

Community Icon
I am not a Comcast employee, I am a paying customer just like you!
I am an XFINITY Forum Expert and I am here to help. For information on the program click here.
We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit from the conversation.
Community Icon
I am not a Comcast employee. I am a paying customer just like you!
I am an XFINITY Forum Expert and I am here to help.
We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit.
Community Icon
I am not a Comcast employee.

Was your question answered?
Mark it as a solution!solution Icon

New Poster

It is a crying shame that weatherscan was deleted for southern New Mexico. Coincidentally, the channel 4 news, the only one for the state in southern New Mexico, comes up but is not working either. Now we are forced to get news/weather from Texas. Please post how subscribers can contact the broadcaster who deleted 101 so consideration of returning it can be made.

New Poster

I understand there are options, but the radar is really helpful when there is severe weather heading our way.  Do not understand the loss of this station as Comcast owns NBCUniversal which owns the weather channel and weather scan. 

Just my two sense but Comcast I would rethink this decision.

Contributor

Why has the Weatherscan channel gone missing in our local channel line-up?  It's one of the more important and useful cable channels offered by Comcast.  It provides emergency weather alerts to our community here in Louisville, Colorado; including, severe thunderstorm, hail, tornado, high wind, and FIRE warnings!  The recommended alternative, The Weather Channel, spends way too much time on the East Coast weather, has too many alternative programming content issues, and is often lost in Atlanta, somewhere.  I will bring this up with our City Counsel and Mayor to see if they were apprised that this would happen after renewing Comcast's charter with the City.

Contributor

I was on-line with Comcast Customer support 'Chat' last night for over an hour.  We did the rain and fire dance around the cable box to see if the Weatherscan channel could be coaxed back.  What a waste of time!  It's bad enough Comcast doesn't care what their customers want, but it is truly embarrassing when their Tech Support Team has no clue.  I am now over an hour waiting on the phone to find out from an "AGENT" whats going on and if it is a billing issue.  Jeeze, can't wait until Comcast rules the world!  

New Poster

I just called Xfinity to voice my disappointment over Weatherscan being removed. They actually had a recoded message come on and say that "Weatherscan was not longer available. If you are calling for any other reason stay on the line."

I waited to speak to a rep anyway to make sure my complaint loss of Weatherscan was noted. She informed me that the station was not dropped by Xfinity, but that the station is no longer being broadcast. This turned out to be a COMPLETE LIE.

I called The Weather Channel to ask them why they discontinued it. The rep there infomred me that they, in fact, did NOT DISCONTINUE broadcasting Weatherscan, and that it is still available with other providers. She said Xfinity just decided to drop their service, and did not offer a reason why they were doing so.

So, not only am I upset that they took away Weatherscan, I am angry about be LIED TO by Xfinity.

It seems like the bigger Comcast/Xfinity gets, the more they feel they can justify providing inferior service at higher prices. This is precisely why monopolies (or more accurately oligopolies) are a bad thing for consumers!

C'mon Comcast - Weatherscan has to be one of the least expensive channels to offer (especially condidering you have a 25% stake in the company providing it).

PLEASE BRING IT BACK. People like it. I'm willing to trade CSPAN3 and one of my 5 public access stations for it. Heck, I'll even throw in a few of those crappy music stations...just bring back Weatherscan.

New Poster

weather channel

I tried to check the weather last night on channel 101 and to my suprise that channel does not exist anymore. I searched the channel listing and cannot find another weather channel. What happened??

New Poster

I know that the weather channel is not gone because our son has Direct TV and they have two channels from the weather channel. Maybe they are better than Comcast...

New Poster

Re: What happened to Weatherscan Local on 101?

boycott weather channell ppl  untill they get real and stop being  money hungry if they move to higher cost cable

Problem Solver

In looking at the lineup for Direct TV I see two weather channels but only one is from the The Weather Channel itself.

361 Weather Nation SD/HD
362 The Weather Channel SD/HD

Nothing has changed from Comcast where I live:

25 The Weather Channel SD

60 Local Weather Radar
101 Weatherscan SD
1101 The Weather Channel HD

New Poster

Weatherscan

What happened to weatherscan in Denver?  It disappeared last night and we'd like to know if/when it will be restored.

New Poster

Thanks.  We went back and looked and our last bill says they removed it and we can look at the Weather Channel instead.  Unfortunately, the Weather Channel doesn't bother to ever give Denver radar, so it really doesn't substitute.  And the Weather Channel doesn't seem to know that the center of America exists anyway; almost all of their coverage is on either coast.

Contributor

dj280 wrote:

Some of us don't have home computers or smart phones.

Please bring back Weatherscan.  National weather channel is not helpful.

New Poster

Loosing the weather scan channel (101 in Fresno area) is simply unacceptable. I urge everyone to just firestorm Comcast with complaints. I started with customer service and worked my way up three levels from worker, supervisor, and manager. The manager will call me tomorrow apparently. All seemed not to be aware of the problem, the action, or the difference between the weather channel and the weather scan. Then I jumped to live chat with an agent on-line - click on Trouble - Cable Tv - then Channel Listing.  At first the agent thought I was complaining about the weather app (yeah, they yank the channel but offer an app). But the agent then came back with "the local weather scan is having a emergency maintenance that is why it is not accessible at this moment". When I asked for conformation, noting that nothing like this answer was on the forum, she said "Yes, it will return, the local weather radar is having a connectivity issue" but could not tell me when the channel will be returned. I would hope that this is double speak for , golly, too many are complaining, we will get it back as soon as possible before people jump to Direct TV (as I quietly offered as my own solution). So keep those complaints going, don't stop at the forum, go up the food chain and make your voice heard.

Silver Problem Solver

In Minnesota Comcast no longer offers Weatherscan on any tier of service. They ended offering it on June 12th here.

Sounds like they stopped it in many areas, if not nationwide.

Notice in my bill last month about it being removed. Comcast has not given any explantion on the forums that I have seen for the reason.

Sorry

Frequent Visitor

Escalated to customer service management and was PROMISED an email udpate.  +24 hours later, nothing, nada, zip.  Had a serious discussion trading UP to DirectTV and looking at Verizon FIOS.  Probably change next billing cycle.

Regular Visitor

Channel missing?

We have lost the Weatherscan channel 101. We enter the number 101 and it skips to 102.  This started yesterday.  What happened?