members

online now

discussions

Weather Scan Channel

ANSWERED
Highlighted
Contributor

Weather Scan Channel

I do not get paper bills from Comcast so did not get the notice but someone else told me their bill said channel 101 - Weather Scan is going away 6/12. Is this true??? Why would Comcast do that? We look at that channel several times every day. And, no, the weather channel is not even close in comparison for checking out the weather. I thought Weather Scan was a Comcast affiliate, so why would they take this station away? This is indescribably disappointing.

Accepted Solution

Re: Weather Scan Channel

All,

I apologize for all the incoveince. Comcast continuously evaluates the content that we deliver to our customers. As part of this ongoing evaluation, we decided to discontinue offering the Weatherscan channel for all our customers this year.  

FAQ's

I can't find the Weatherscan Channel. Where is it?
I apologize for any inconvenience. Weatherscan is no longer available.

Will you bring Weatherscan back again?
Comcast has no current plans to offer the channel again in the near future.

Is Comcast offering anything in place of Weatherscan?

Please check your channel lineup for local weather channel options.

What will happen to my scheduled DVR recordings?
We will drop the Weatherscan channel in your area and your DVR will no longer record any new or future programming on the Weatherscan channel. At that time, the channel will not be available to watch.

The Weather Channel is still available and provides localized weather every ten minutes on Local on the 8's.

There is a localized weather app available to customers with the X1 platform. 

1. Press the xfinity button on your remote control.
  2. Using the arrow buttons, highlight Apps and press OK.
  3. Using the arrow buttons, highlight Weather and press OK.
  4. Here you can view your current forecast, or scroll to highlight Extended Forecast. Press the OK button to view the extended forecast.
  5. Using the left arrow and right arrow buttons, highlight a specific day of the week for more weather details.
  6. From the Extended Forecast, select Last to return to the main Weather app screen.
  7. Press Exit to return to standard TV viewing, or press Last to return to the Apps menu.

X1 Menu

Customers with our traditional on-screen program guide also have access to local updated weather forecasts via the guide's Main Menu, then select Local Weather.

View answer in context
Regular Visitor

What happened to Weatherscan Local on 101?

New Castle County digital -- no more Weatherscan Local on channel 101? ARE YOU KIDDING ME? This simple little channel that requires no programming is now a channel I must PAY FOR?

Service Expert

Re: What happened to Weatherscan Local on 101?

What do you see instead of Weatherscan?

Community Icon
I am not a Comcast employee, I am a paying customer just like you!
I am an XFINITY Forum Expert and I am here to help. For information on the program click here.
We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit from the conversation.
Was your question answered? Mark it as an accepted solution!solution Icon
Community Icon
I am not a Comcast employee. I am a paying customer just like you!
I am an XFINITY Forum Expert and I am here to help.
We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit.
Community Icon
I am not a Comcast employee.

Was your question answered?
Mark it as a solution!solution Icon

Regular Visitor

"Not Authorized"

Service Expert

I was hoping you would say the regular Weather Channel which would indicate a issue with Weatherscan.

Which digital package do you have?

Community Icon
I am an XFINITY Forum Expert and I am here to help. For information on the program click here.
We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit from the conversation.
Community Icon
Community Icon

Regular Visitor

Digital Starter. Been checking in with channel 101 for weather everyday, all day, until Monday morning, when it was locked out.

Service Expert

It may have been removed from the digital starter tier in your area.

There could also be something wrong with the coding on your account.

You will have to call Comcast about this issue.

Community Icon
Community Icon
Community Icon

Valued Contributor

Unfortunately alot of areas are seeing weather scan get moved to digital preferred. I really wish they would leave it in the starter package but oh well.

Service Expert

medziatkowicz wrote:

Unfortunately alot of areas are seeing weather scan get moved to digital preferred. I really wish they would leave it in the starter package but oh well.

Although I have Premier I do agree with you. Weather plays a vital role in all our lives. Weatherscan is great because we get what we want to know without having to wait for Local on the 8's on the Weather Channel.

It is not on Starter in my city. However, there is access to Weatherscan on ch. 16-Local Weather Radar.

The catch is that the channel also is for the local traffic cameras so it cuts back and forth between the 2. Usually Weatherscan is not up on the screen for very long. If you want to know what the forecast is for tonight it may cut to traffic before it shows you what you want to know.  I realize there is nothing Comcast can do about this since the city is in charge of ch. 16.

You might have something similar in your area.

Community Icon
Community Icon
Community Icon

Silver Problem Solver

Here in Chicago, Weatherscan has always been in Preferred or higher. Getting silly since the regular Weather channel's Local on the 8's often doesn't trigger. And, the two stations that used to have weather on their subchannels instead changed to other programming. That means Starter users have no reliable weather source.

Valued Contributor

just the local university channel here no local weather channel

Regular Visitor

WHAT HAPPENED TO WEATHERSCAN?!?!

Does anyone know why WeatherScan (Ch. 101) seems to have quit working, or is it just me?

Silver Problem Solver

Re: WHAT HAPPENED TO WEATHERSCAN?!?!

What area are you in? Is it just not working, or is the channel not accessible?

It's an automated channel, and computers can crash.

Regular Visitor

I'm in the 99207 zip code. (The Hillyard area of Spokane.) I can access all of the other channels I'm supposed to be able to access (I have the Digital Preferred Package) but when I change the channel to 101 all I get is a blank screen. Not even an error message, a "This channel will be available shortly", or a "To order this channel call 1-800-COMCAST." It's just blank. I ran diagnostics on my cable box, but it appears that it's working fine. This has been surprisingly frustrating for me; I didn't realize how often I used it!! And the regular Weather Channel (20) seems only to play shows. Any ideas for me? And thanks for replying!

Silver Problem Solver

If it's just black, that means there is no video to display. They need to check the Weatherscan computer and it's connections to see what is going on.

Regular Visitor

They changed it this afternoon from black to "We're having technical difficulty," so I guess my question was answered! Thanks for your help, though!

Frequent Visitor

I'm in Albuquerque and mine is gone as well. I was just looking at it last night. The message I have on the screen is "Not Authorized".

Really sucks since you can't hardly get any actual weather on the Weather Channel anymore.

Regular Visitor

No doubt!

Silver Problem Solver

In most areas, Weatherscan is part of the Preferred tier or equivalent bundle. Maybe they changed it in your area?

Frequent Visitor

From one day to the next in the middle of the month with no warning? When I've been getting it since the switch-over to digital? That doesn't sound right to me.

Nevermind that I can't figure out what package I do have since what channels I get match with none of the packages that they have listed for the Albuquerque area.

New Poster

I was wondering the same thing, here in Sacto. 

Regular Visitor

Even though I posted this a long time ago, I can tell you that you will probably get weatherscan back in 24 to 48 hours. Sometimes, there's a problem with the satelite, or so I've been told, and it takes a little while to fix. In the meantime, I suggest using Weather.com.

New Poster

Thank you, Comcast, for re-booting the Weatherscan (101) channel. I enjoy it so much! Sacto.

New Poster

hi, just another way to try to get more money!!!!~!!!!!!!!!

Problem Solver

Re: Weather Scan Channel Going Away????

If you log onto your Comcast Account you should be able to view/download your bill as a PDF file. They also maintain your previous bills online for about 12 months.

The PDF version of your bill should be very close to the paper version. If you look at it you should be able to verify any lineup changes.

BTW, I think that Weatherscan should be a must for all Comcast tiers. I suspect that each Comcast headend must rent the equipment from the Weather Channel if they want to carry this channel. Unfortunately because it costs Comcast money I don't think they carry Weatherscan on all their tiers.

Silver Problem Solver

I know that Weatherscan is not on Limited Basic. When I had Digital Prefered I got it but the conditions are usually for the headend city and for me that is 90 miles away.

I use the National Weather Service web site, AccuWeather, and Weather Bug for checking the weather. Also local radio and the nearby CBS affiliate that is only 30 miles away for weather.

Frequent Visitor

Where is Weather Channel 101 (Seattle area)?

Hello everyone, not sure where to ask Comcast about this question. This morning "channel 101" on Comcast Seattle area is no longer listed as an available selection. This is the "weather" loop that is quite useful. I see channel 352 (local weather) that is similar but with its commercial breaks and unnecessary "hosts" it takes longer to get "to the point" than the Weather Channel's unhosted format that was on 101. Comments welcomed!

Tags (2)
Frequent Visitor

Re: Where is Weather Channel 101 (Seattle area)?

It's was a constant in our house.  I am so unhappy.  (Sacramento area).  Comcast please bring it back!

New Poster

Channel disappeared

I woke up this morning and my channel 131 Weather Scan was not there. There was no notification whatsoever of a change in any form. This is a favorite channel and is on my tv a lot. Where did it go? I am in the Colorado Springs, Co. area.

New Poster

Re: Channel disappeared

It is no longer offered on Comcast. I presume it was pulled by The Weather Channel.

Regular Visitor

Why did Comcast drop Weatherscan from its Portland OR service?

I am furious about this - how much can it cost to have an automated channel? I would like to have an explanation. The regular Weather Channel does NOT provide an adequate substitute.  

New Poster

Re: Why did Comcast drop Weatherscan from its Portland OR service?

I'm in Edmonds, WA and found the same thing this morning. Weatherscan

is completely gone. What's up with that?

New Poster

weatherscan

What happened to Weatherscan? It is one of the few channels I looked at daily. If you have discontinued it altogether it would be a huge mistake. The more you grow, the more your service deteriorates.

Contributor

Apparently the billing message last month was correct. Weatherscan (channel 101 here) is gone, the channel is not even in the line-up now. This REALLY pishes me off. It should be mandatory to have a 24/7 weather channel like this. The Weather Channel does not even come close to what Weatherscan provided. If I can figure out the best consumer or government agency to complain to, I will. The issue is not just convinience but also safety.

New Poster

Weatherscan

What happened to Weatherscan?  It is used daily and several times daily.  It is upsetting to lose it.

New Poster

Weather Scan needs to be reinstated!  Weather Scan Channel 101 was the only place to get current LOCAL weather, radar and warnings; regular Weather Channel has too much fluf and commercials. Summer storm and monsoon season is approaching and current weather info is important.

New Poster

Re: Why did Comcast drop Weatherscan from its Portland OR service?

GD, Comcast!  One more example of your arbitrarily changing service without explanation or concern for your customers!  As lynn-sharp points out, The Weater Channel is no substitute, especially since their Local on the 8s is so often pre-empted by their other programs.  As a public service, Weatherscan provided information that many of us found valuable.  Since the channel wasn't replaced with something else, don't we deserve some sort of explanation for why it was dropped?

Frequent Visitor

BRING BACK WEATHER SCAN.

New Poster

Give us back Weatherscan!

This was the channel we had on every morning to get the information we needed to get this kids out the door for shool. No distracting commercials, or other "news" content to distract the kids from the task of getting ready.

The music wasn't half bad either.

Regular Visitor

Re: weatherscan

I was just on the phone to comcast support. The weather channel has been discontinued. I also used this channel several times a day. Comcast says you should go to the "other" weather channel now. However, I always much preferred the now discontinued weather channel to the now recommended channel.

New Poster

Bring back weatherscan! It had Radar 24/7. The other channels you have to wait up to 5 min. for local radar. BRING BACK WEATHERSCAN PLEASE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Silver Problem Solver

Roughly where are you located? Also, was it actually removed, or changed to a different level of service? Was there anything mentioned in any recent FULL bills (for on-line, you view/download the PDF of the full bill.)

By me in the Chicago area, it's still there, for now.

Contributor

Channel Gone

I live in Puyallup, Washington and this morning channel 101 (Local Weather) was missing?  Did this channel move or do you no longer have it? Shouldn't you at least post something where that channel was to indicate where it has moved or that it no longer is included in your programming/,

Thank you.

Silver Problem Solver

Re: Channel disappeared

Still have Weatherscan here in the Chicago area. My latest full bill PDF isn't available yet, so I don't know if there is any note about it being dropped.

Problem Solver

awww man WeatherScan is gone!!

WHy did you guys remove it ? here in the Fresno CALIFORNIA area you removed channel 101. I really need that channel and use it more in the summer to check the weather. there you go removing channels and the Bill keeps going up up up TSK TSK TSK.

New Poster

Re: Channel Gone

I live in West Saint Paul, MN and all of a sudden we no longer have the Weather Channel 101, what is going on

Frequent Visitor

Weatherscan

Please!  Weatherscan was so wonderful!  I can't believe it's gone!  I checked it many times during the day.  The music was wonderful.  Sad day!  Is it available on Direct TV?

Contributor

Re: Channel Gone

I found this statement on Page 1 of my Comcast bill: 

"Effective 6/12/14, Weather Scan will no longer be available on

channel 101 in any package. Local weather information can

still be found on The Weather Channel."

They do not indicate why.  It also looks like they are getting quite a few complaints.

New Poster

Local Weather Channel

Removing the local weather, 127 here in Oregon, really blows!  How about a rate decrease?  I hate Comcast, will bail as soon as possible!

Gold Problem Solver

andyross wrote: ... Was there anything mentioned in any recent FULL bills ...

This poster in WA says yes: http://forums.comcast.com/t5/Channels-and-Programming/Channel-Gone/m-p/2194574#M49035

It seems odd. I thought Comcast would try to avoid making people mad while asking the feds to bless their Time Warner deal.