online now

discussions

WTAJ Ch10 of Central-PA being dropped 3/14/17 from Comcast programing:

Posted by
Visitor
  • Congrats on Posting your first topic!

Message 1 of 10 (563 Views)

WTAJ Ch10 of Central-PA being dropped 3/14/17 from Comcast programing:

Although WHP Ch 7 carries CBS programing, it will NOT be an alternative replacement for WTAJ Ch 10.. WHP is based in Harrisburg and does not carry local State College/Reedsville/Lewistown/Altoona news and school closing information for Huntington/Mifflin/Centre/Juniata Counties. PLEASE reconcider this revision in your programming.... 

9 REPLIES
Posted by
Silver Problem Solver

Message 2 of 10 (539 Views)

Re: WTAJ Ch10 of Central-PA being dropped 3/14/17 from Comcast programing:

rdaiken2122 wrote:

Although WHP Ch 7 carries CBS programing, it will NOT be an alternative replacement for WTAJ Ch 10.. WHP is based in Harrisburg and does not carry local State College/Reedsville/Lewistown/Altoona news and school closing information for Huntington/Mifflin/Centre/Juniata Counties. PLEASE reconcider this revision in your programming.... 

TV stations are carried on cable/satellite in a defined 'Designated Market Area'. It's possible either that DMA changed, or you were in the wrong one to begin with. The borders may not always seem logical, but are mostly based on where the signal goes.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Media_market

Posted by
Valued Contributor

Message 3 of 10 (491 Views)

Mifflin County, PA is located in the Harrisburg DMA. This means that WHP is considered the local affiliate. This means that WHP can black out CBS programming on WTAJ, if they choose to do so.

With retransmission fees rising, cable is starting to sacrifice the advantage it once had in carrying out-of-market stations like WTAJ would be in Mifflin County. I do believe on both the Reedsville and Lewistown systems that WJAC, an NBC affiliate from Johnstown, is still carried. Being familiar with the area (and being on the Lewistown system myself), I know how important WTAJ is to the area, not just for weather, but being the only station that consistently carries Pittsburgh Steelers games due to NFL market regulations that affect the Harrisburg area.

I know WTAJ's owner, Nexstar, has been pulling out-of-market signals for WTAJ throughout the region where it once was featured. I'm guessing they feel it's more trouble than it's worth in today's climate, and that cable providers like Comcast don't think the signal is worth it.

Posted by
Visitor
  • Thank you contributor for your first reply to the community!
 Posting replies is the best way to get involved.

Message 4 of 10 (317 Views)

Wrong DMA? Since when? I can't remember a time without WTAJ and that goes back several decades. The Altoona station is important to the region of Mifflin County. For one thing, weather and emergency warning services out of Altoona are extremely relevant to us. We can get warnings of severe weather entering Mifflin County from the West Northwest. Taking this away may reduce our warning times for fast moving systems.  This isn't good. I'd ask you to restore WTAJ.

Posted by
Visitor

Message 5 of 10 (316 Views)

PWrong DMA? Since when? I can't remember a time without WTAJ and that goes back several decades. The Altoona station is important to the region of Mifflin County. For one thing, weather and emergency warning services out of Altoona are extremely relevant to us. We can get warnings of severe weather entering Mifflin County from the West Northwest. Taking this away may reduce our warning times for fast moving systems.  This isn't good. I'd ask you to restore WTAJ.

Posted by
Valued Contributor

Message 6 of 10 (284 Views)

Mifflin County has always been grouped within the Harrisburg/York/Lancaster DMA for television purposes. Channels can be declared significantly viewed, and WTAJ and WJAC have had this provision granted to them in Mifflin County.

The problem is as retransmission fees skyrocket, costs would need to be passed on to customers even more than already so to keep channels like WTAJ, when they are required to negotiate with WHP, the in-market CBS affiliate.

Notices as well as newscasts can be found on WTAJ's website, and WJAC is still on both the Lewistown and Reedsville systems from the Altoona/Johnstown market.

Posted by
Visitor

Message 7 of 10 (267 Views)

WTAJ carries the Steelers, WHP carries the Ravens, 50% of Mifflin County is Steeler fans, not Ravens fans. 

Posted by
Valued Contributor

Message 8 of 10 (214 Views)

The CBS stations carry NFL games due to contractual obligations. WHP is within 75 miles of M&T Bank Stadium in Baltimore, therefore they are required by NFL rules to carry away games of the Baltimore Ravens whenever they air. When there are home games, WHP can opt (and usually does) choose to air the Steelers over the Ravens and even the Philadelphia Eagles. But certainly less Steelers games will air in Mifflin County from this point going forward.

Posted by
Visitor
Message 9 of 10 (92 Views)

I want WTAJ back or else a $15.00 decrease in my bill.

Posted by
Frequent Visitor

Message 10 of 10 (80 Views)

WTAJ channel 10 has been carried in central Pa for as long as I can remember. In alot of areas including Mifflin County, It was one the only stations that could be picked up OTA. Still has news and weather that is more relevent to area than Harrisburg stations. The most you get from Harrisburg stations is an occasional temperature listing for Lewistown. The station was one of the few advantages the cable had over satellite. Watching WJAC 6 news is not the same, they do not focus on this area.