members

online now

discussions

Viceland and FYI will move to Digital Preferred on or around 11/15/16

SOLVED
Posted by
Official Employee

Message 1 of 64

On or around November 15th, Viceland and FYI will move to the Digital Preferred level of service in all areas that currently carry these channels.

Community Icon
I am an Official Comcast Employee.
Official Employees are from multiple teams within Comcast: Product, Support, Leadership.
We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit from the conversation.

Was your question answered? Mark it as an accepted solution!solution Icon
Community Icon
I am an Offical Comcast Employee.
Official Employees are from multiple teams within Comcast.
We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit.
Community Icon
I am a Comcast Employee.
Please post so people with similar questions may benefit.
Was your question answered?
Mark it as a solution!solution Icon
63 REPLIES
Posted by
Official Employee

Message 2 of 64
Solution

ComcastTeds wrote:

On or around November 15th, Viceland and FYI will move to the Digital Preferred level of service in all areas that currently carry these channels.

VICELAND and FYI Moving to Digital Preferred

Effective today, November 17, VICELAND and FYI SD and HD channels will be moving from their current XFINITY TV package to the Digital Preferred package in most of our areas. Some areas (the northeast) will make this change on November 29.

Each year, we consider changes to our channel lineup to better align our more popular packages with the most viewed programming. As part of those regular reviews, Comcast made the decision to move VICELAND and FYI to the Digital Preferred package.

Please note that VICELAND and FYI On Demand content will only be available to XFINITY TV customers who subscribe to the Digital Preferred package that includes VICELAND and FYI in their channel lineup.

Community Icon
Official Employees are from multiple teams within Comcast: Product, Support, Leadership.
We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit from the conversation.

Community Icon
Community Icon
I am a Comcast Employee.
Posted by
Visitor
  • Congratulations on earning 5 kudos! Your great contributions have been much appreciated by the community.
  • Congratulations on receiving your first Kudos! Thank you for your meaningful contribution to the forum. May this be the first of many kudos.
  • Congrats on Posting your first topic!

Message 3 of 64

Why did two channels (FYI and Vice) suddenly become subscription or moved to an upper level without any notification? This is the 2nd year in a row that Comcast did this and I'm fed up! I'm still paying for the channels that I can no longer watch! WHYYYYYY???

Posted by
Visitor
  • Congratulations on receiving your first Kudos! Thank you for your meaningful contribution to the forum. May this be the first of many kudos.

Message 4 of 64

This is absolute rubbish! I just spent 45 minutes with customer service and received conflicting information on the same call. The customer retention agent David so graciously offered the opportunity to pay an additional $10 to be moved to the preferred package. Why the heck would I pay additional money for a channel I could watch just a few days ago!??! How does that even make any sense?!?!? I'm sooo irritated I'm going to be looking for a new service provider. First time with Xfinity has left a very bitter taste in my mouth. 

Posted by
Visitor

Message 5 of 64
I'm in the same situation I had 2 customer reps apologizing to me for conflicting info. Their only resolution was a 3 month credit and a promise that I can cancel the preferred at any time. They don't care cause they know they have a monopoly in the market! May 2017 and I'm out! So sleazy comcast has become
Posted by
Silver Problem Solver

Message 6 of 64

Although it doesn't affect me (I have Preferred), I checked my last few FULL bills, and there is no mention of this change. The only channel change listed is that Tennis is moving from S&E to Preferred.

The only warning about the FYI/Viceland change is a post in this forum.

http://forums.xfinity.com/t5/Channels-and-Programming/Viceland-and-FYI-will-move-to-Digital-Preferre...

Posted by
Visitor
  • Thank you contributor for your first reply to the community!
 Posting replies is the best way to get involved.

Message 7 of 64

I was furious too when I found out that FYI was removed from my package and this is one of my top 5 favorite channel! I didn't even know until I chatted online with customer service! I signed up with them just about 9 months ago. I wonder if I can cancel my contract. I used to be AT&T Uverse for 4, 5 years and they've never done this kind of thing and they have more HD channels. The reason I switched to Comcast because their internet is faster. Now, I'm thinking about  moving back to Uverse!

Posted by
Gold Problem Solver

Message 8 of 64

andyross wrote: ... I checked my last few FULL bills, and there is no mention of this change.

FWIW my October 3 bill here in South Central PA included the following note:

Channel Lineup Changes: Beginning November 29, the following XFINITY TV changes will occur: FYI ch 115/HD 874 will move from Expanded Basic to Digital Preferred; Tennis Channel ch 277/HD 862 will move from Sports Entertainment Package to Digital Preferred; TV One ch 173/HD 865 will move from Digital Preferred to Expanded Basic; and Viceland ch 116/HD 1271 will move from Expanded Basic and Digital Economy to Digital Preferred.
Posted by
Official Employee

Message 9 of 64

hnguyen500 wrote:

I was furious too when I found out that FYI was removed from my package and this is one of my top 5 favorite channel! I didn't even know until I chatted online with customer service! I signed up with them just about 9 months ago. I wonder if I can cancel my contract. I used to be AT&T Uverse for 4, 5 years and they've never done this kind of thing and they have more HD channels. The reason I switched to Comcast because their internet is faster. Now, I'm thinking about  moving back to Uverse!

Apologies. Found the below on your cable invoice dated October 5: 

Beginning Nov 17, FYI (ch 275), FYI HD (ch 772), Viceland (ch 276) and Viceland HD (ch 805) will no longer be available on our Digital Starter or Digital Economy tier. FYI and Viceland will now be available on our Digital Preferred tier.

Community Icon

Community Icon
Community Icon
I am a Comcast Employee.
Posted by
Visitor
Message 10 of 64

Yep, Comcast taking away channels again while increasing the bill. I just find a couple channels that my wife and I like and BAM! Comcast takes them away. One more reason to cut the cable, get with the times and stop feeding the greedy pigs at Comcast! Way too high a cost for the value. .What's next? Take away all local channels? How about moving all the sports to premium areas? That will make us more money huh? Huh? Huh? SMH

Posted by
Visitor
Message 11 of 64
This is completely ridiculous! What am I paying for then? You can have this channel today but we are gonna take some away at some point even though we locked you into a contract that you can't get out. We sure can change it on you whenever we want though. Let me guess...You're Sorry
Posted by
Visitor

Message 12 of 64

I've been in the contract not even a year and they did this to me! I read the other thread and saw that they used to have Fox Sports 2, which is also my favorite channel, and they removed it not long ago. I wonder what channels and how many channels they will remove every year? I used to be with them for a long time but I switched to AT&T Uverse for personal reason. When I moved back to Comcast, I was surprised that their channel line up has fallen behind more and more compared to Uverse (I signed up because I the promotional price back then was pretty good) Even though I get free HBO for 1 year but premium channels on Comcast is really pathetic: only 1 HBO HD channel vs. 5, 6 HBO HD channels on Uverse. Anyway, on a good side, this will get me get used to when I cut the cord as soon as my contract is over

Posted by
Contributor

Message 13 of 64

i was kind of taken aback seeing how one of my fave channels is no longer on, viceland. it reminds me when i lost both tru-tv and spiketv. they were moved to preferred section. they drop fave channels, expect you to pay more. like holding fave channels hostage asking for ransom money. all the while our bill total going up and up. we love our current doubleplay package, my parents enjoy HBO channels.. i enjoy the regular cable channels, although i could do without all the spanish channels. over 3 dozen unwatchable stuff. we are really considering a move from comcast to dishtv. we got a great price of 300 channels for 80 dollars for 2 years, rate locked in. comcast and their dirty tactics are forcing us to soon become EX customers, thx comcast

Posted by
Silver Problem Solver

Message 14 of 64

My mother complained about FYI being removed. But, this Thanksgiving, FYI and Viceland were back. Not sure if Comcast has reversed, or if it's just a temporary reprieve.

Posted by
Visitor

Message 15 of 64

Viceland is pretty much the only channel I watch and now I don't get it.

Learn from Nokia, adapt or your one time monopoly will be history.

Posted by
Visitor

Message 16 of 64

Something has to be done here: boycott Xfinity or class action?  I don't get Viceland - this is the type of subject that they should be exposing in a documentary. I'm a senior citizen (plus) who considers Cyberwars, Abandoned and Black Market to be the best programing on television.  Shame on VL and Xf for doing this. 

Posted by
Admin1

Message 17 of 64

We sincerely apologize for any inconvenience this situation has caused you. On November 17, 2016, Comcast moved FYI (SD and HD), VICELAND (SD and HD), and The Tennis Channel (SD and HD) to the Digital Preferred package.

Why is this happening?

Comcast regularly examines its programs and networks in an effort to bring customers the best overall entertainment choices and align our channels and packages across the Comcast footprint.

Impact

• Comcast will remove FYI and VICELAND from the Digital Economy package.
  • Tennis Channel will move from the Sports Entertainment package to the Digital Preferred and Digital Deluxe packages.
  • FYI and VICELAND will no longer be available on DTAs.

What will happen to my FYI/VICELAND/Tennis Channel DVR recordings?

On November 17, at 11:59 PM local time, your DVR will no longer record any new or future programming on FYI, VICELAND, or The Tennis Channel. To watch or record programs you will need to upgrade to Digital Preferred.

Community Icon
Community Icon
Community Icon
I am a Comcast Employee.
Posted by
Visitor

Message 18 of 64
I noticed 2 days ago that I no longer have the Vice Channel. I called Comcast today and spent more than a half hour with them on the phone. The agent had me unplug my system, restart it and sent me a signal to reboot. Of course none of this worked. The agent finally told me that it must be the channels problem. They seem totally unaware that Comcast has removed the channel from some packages. No notification to their subscribers and just crappy service. This has become standard operating procedure for Comcast. When I find a cable alternative, I am gone. Done with Comcast!!!
Posted by
Visitor

Message 19 of 64
Just such horrible customer service and lack of notification. When I find a cable alternative, I am gone for good. Highway robbery for the fees you charge to subscribe plus frequent outages. Done with Comcast!!
Posted by
Visitor

Message 20 of 64

Congratulations, Comcast.  I have been grumbling about your offerings, clunky customer service and company in general for quite some time, but haven't been moved to find an alternative solution until now.  Moving a popular channel that actually offers quality content to a higher pricing tier may be a sound business decision, (after all, you have to keep the Street and the shareholders happy at all costs, right?) but to do so without adjusting the cost of the tier, and then give some weak explanation with typical meaningless corporate jargon, is just the push I needed.  I realize that it's only telelvision and not that important in the general scheme of things, and now I've seen the light completely.  I have to thank you for releasing me.  I actually pay for your services at two locations, and will now take advantage of other services offered in my small city.  Enjoy your success, and keep that customer satisfaction just within reach.  Please feel free to reach out to me if you'd actually like to discuss this with a paying, (for now,) customer.  

Posted by
Official Employee

Message 21 of 64

mgaffney10 wrote:
Just such horrible customer service and lack of notification. When I find a cable alternative, I am gone for good. Highway robbery for the fees you charge to subscribe plus frequent outages. Done with Comcast!!

Apologies for the issue and the experience that you described above. Our frontline agents should have certainly known about this and apologies that you reached someone who attempted to troubleshoot instead of providing the correct information regarding these announced channel changes.

From a notification standpoint, I was able to locate the below on your statement dated October 14th

Channel Lineup Changes: Beginning November 29, the following XFINITY TV changes will occur: FYI channel 115/HD 874 will move from Expanded Basic to Digital Preferred; Tennis Channel channel 735/HD 862 will move from Sports Entertainment Package to Digital Preferred; and Viceland
channel 116/HD 948 will move from Expanded Basic and Digital Economy to Digital Preferred. 

There are some options to get your level of service to Digital Preferred. I can send you a Private Message with some options.   

Community Icon

Community Icon
Community Icon
I am a Comcast Employee.
Posted by
Visitor

Message 22 of 64

I had the same experience as mgaffney10.  I will say this: every time I deal with anyone on the phone, they are always very nice and professional.  This was the case yesterday as I was on the phone with the representative even though I had the same results.  Further, suggesting that we upgrade seems like a bit of a slap in the face.  "Want more?  Buy more!"  Also, again, credit where it's due, I appreciate your responding directly to these complaints in the forum.  

Posted by
Visitor

Message 23 of 64
VICELAND was 1 of 5 total channels we watched on the xfinity lineup. We pay over $160/month for comically slow internet and now one less genuinely entertaining channel. But wait, great news guys! I can pay an extra $10 a month to get it back! What a unbelievable deal!

Comcast is absolute garbage.
Posted by
Service Expert

Message 24 of 64

Your post was removed to a secure location for a violation of Forum Guidelines [circumventing the language filters]. If you are not familiar with our Guidelines you may review them here.

Posted by
Official Employee

Message 25 of 64

Jennifer_981 wrote:
VICELAND was 1 of 5 total channels we watched on the xfinity lineup. We pay over $160/month for comically slow internet and now one less genuinely entertaining channel. But wait, great news guys! I can pay an extra $10 a month to get it back! What a unbelievable deal!

Apologies. In reviewing your account, I can see some issues with your internet service that need some attention and can be corrected. I have asked that someone on our local team review your account further and reach out to you directly so that we can get that working the way that it should. Thanks for your patience.   

Community Icon

Community Icon
Community Icon
I am a Comcast Employee.
Posted by
Visitor
Message 26 of 64

The whole thing was really disapointing, a couple of days ago I had no TV service, then I don't have my favorite channel, VICELAND. You know I was extremely disapointed with the way the customer retention agent handled the situation, so terrible. He really didn't help at all was kind of rude. Could not be more disapointed the whole reason I have the package I do was for viceland. Then I'm expected to pay for a package that I'm not sure I want...Maybe I should consider another provider.

Posted by
Visitor

Message 27 of 64

Filing my protest on losing FYI and Viceland.  Boo!

Posted by
Service Expert

Message 28 of 64
Posted by
Visitor

Message 29 of 64

Just to add my disappointment here .. I record Viceland shows on my DVR and it's one of my favorite channels.

Maybe it's time to look at alternatives. It IS possible to downgrade and view cable TV over the Internet.. IF Comcast wants to offer me a FREE upgrade to their Preferred package, as compensation for removing channels that would be fine.

I WAS considering an upgrade, however all of their 'package promotions' require a 1-Year or 2-Year commitment with threats of Early Termination Fees - WHY would anyone sign such a contract, IF Comcast is allowed to drop channels and change their part of the bargain? Does not make sense.

The Message from Comcast appears to be: DO NOT SIGN ANY 1-Year or 2-Year package!!!

Posted by
Service Expert

Message 30 of 64
Posted by
Visitor

Message 31 of 64

ComcastJessie wrote:

We sincerely apologize for any inconvenience this situation has caused you. On November 17, 2016, Comcast moved FYI (SD and HD), VICELAND (SD and HD), and The Tennis Channel (SD and HD) to the Digital Preferred package.

Why is this happening?

Comcast regularly examines its programs and networks in an effort to bring customers the best overall entertainment choices and align our channels and packages across the Comcast footprint.

Impact

• Comcast will remove FYI and VICELAND from the Digital Economy package.
  • Tennis Channel will move from the Sports Entertainment package to the Digital Preferred and Digital Deluxe packages.
  • FYI and VICELAND will no longer be available on DTAs.

What will happen to my FYI/VICELAND/Tennis Channel DVR recordings?

On November 17, at 11:59 PM local time, your DVR will no longer record any new or future programming on FYI, VICELAND, or The Tennis Channel. To watch or record programs you will need to upgrade to Digital Preferred.

This is riduclous. Why weren't the users notified? 

I have a lot of shows setup to record on the DVR from those channels (not Tennis Channel) and I've been missing them! 

Edit: Don't give me the "it was in your bill information" or "it was on the forums"

I did not receive an email...

Posted by
Service Expert

Message 32 of 64
Posted by
Frequent Visitor

Message 33 of 64

Well this is dissapointing.  FYI was one of my tup channels as well.  I do paperless billing so I had no direct notification of the change, and I cannot find it mentioned in the PDF copies   An email notification would have been nice.

Now we are left with the quesiton if 1 channel is worth the upgrade cost.   

Posted by
Frequent Visitor

Message 34 of 64

Okay, I'm in a 2 year contract (that I now deeply regret) and i just don't understand how channels that were SET IN THE CONTRACT can just be taken away like that. Contracts should go BOTH ways. Why do I have to pay for channels I don't get anymore???? THis is bad business and I will no longer be recommending your company to ANYONE! I've had many problems literally since day 1 and this has just put me over the edge. The end of my contract cannot come fast enough.

I have been trying to connect to a live chat for over an hour now, with no luck. i would very much appreciate some type of response to this matter.

Posted by
Visitor

Message 35 of 64

we should be reembursted since we now receive less pragramming, some pro rated amountit's only right

Posted by
Service Expert

Message 36 of 64
Posted by
Service Expert

Message 37 of 64
Posted by
Visitor

Message 38 of 64
You can actually downgrade your account to cable only without contract and then just drop Comcast altogether. They no longer consider it leaving your contract (this no cancellation fee) as long as you stay a customer. Not sure how long they will have this loop hole, though.
Posted by
Service Expert

Message 39 of 64
Posted by
Visitor
Message 40 of 64
Comcast never notified me that VICE was being removed and will not reduce my bill. The original agreement included VICE, so I guess they can take channels away at their leisure. Agreements are not worth anything and their business ethics, trust and, intergrity deserves a "F" rating. Bye Bye Comcast you just lost a 15 years customer with A1 payment history.
Posted by
Visitor

Message 41 of 64
How are you bringing customers the best overall entertainment choices and align our channels and packages across the Comcast footprint? You removed channels. How is this good for "the best overall entertainment choices". Did you just copy your message that corporate provided you? Well, whoever wrote it needs to get fired because it doesn't make sense.
Posted by
Visitor

Message 42 of 64
It seems to me that if I'm obliged to honor my contractual agreement with Comcast, that they should be obligated to provide the service I enrolled under until the contract expires. Dropping channels is the same as a price increase & the price I enrolled under was not supposed to change over the contract period. This is false advertising & unscrupulous behavior on Comcast's part.
Posted by
Visitor
Message 43 of 64
When I entered my contract it included Vice Land, now I don't have it. Does this mean I can change my mind and cancel my contract without a charged? I'm thinking Not! So if I agree to sell you 5 Mercedes Benz and then take 3 away and replace them with 3 Pintos what would you say? You would not want to pay !!!!! Just because I have the same number of Channels you have taken away the product I signed up for. the least you could do is honor existing contracts and then remove those Channels when the contract is up!!
Comcast your customer service is horrible!!!
Disappointed!!
Posted by
Visitor

Message 44 of 64

I got the runaround for two days before someone admitted what was up. When I noticed FYI was gone, I called tech support and was told by the automated system to reboot my box. Then I tried the Chat feature and was sent in circles before the agent would finally admit that channels had been removed from my line up. I also received no notification. The rep said the notification was on my bill--with autopay, of course you don't see the bill. They could have easily sent an email but took the coward's way out by quietly removing the channel. I called Customer Service--also useless--of course they tried to get me to upgrade my package or they said they could "make it up to me" by giving me three free months of a premium movie package. How does that help?! I simply want the non-premium channels you took away or my bill should be reduced. A bored-sounding manager got on the phone and his tone made it clear he couldn't care less about this issue. I finally hung up and filed a complaint with the Federal Communications Commission and Better Business Bureau. By snail mail, I'm sending a complaint letter to Comcast's corporate office. It may seem hopeless, but I encourage everyone reading this to take a few minutes to do one or more of these things. And if anyone is aware of a class action lawsuit, I'm in. Because this is a monopoly, I don't understand how it's legal for a company to intentionally and agressively take away a service or product and expect the customer to continue paying the same price for it. If this doesn't warrant consumer protection, I don't know what does. And that statement they put out about this reads like nonsens. How disrespectful. I've paid on time year for more than a decade; customer loyalty means absolutely nothing to this company. This kind of treatment is especially shameful afer a big advertising campaign promising to provide better customer service. Not a thing has changed.

Posted by
Visitor
Message 45 of 64

Since you are in Southcentral PA too, I will ask you.  Why don't I get CSN Philadelphia on the Carlisle system?  It's on the Mechanicsburg and Harrisburg systems right next door.  Channel 847 is open.  There's no reason.  I am blacked out from Philly games on the sports packages (Extra Innings, etc.) because I am in the Philadelphia market.  But Comcast refuses to add the channel.  Why?

Posted by
Connection Expert

Message 46 of 64
Posted by
Regular Visitor

Message 47 of 64
Hi,

Was reading through this thread and would really appreciate your help. VICELAND is the channel we watch most. I thought it was available with all xfinity packages. We no longer have it. What options are there to get VICELAND channel?

Thanks,
Angela
Posted by
Official Employee

Message 48 of 64

angela2689 wrote:
Hi,

Was reading through this thread and would really appreciate your help. VICELAND is the channel we watch most. I thought it was available with all xfinity packages. We no longer have it. What options are there to get VICELAND channel?

Thanks,
Angela

Viceland is now available with Digital Preferred. 

Please give us a call at 1-800-COMCAST or via chat at the link below where we can verify your identity as the primary account holder, review some options that include Viceland and then change your level of service. Thanks for your patience.

https://www.comcastsupport.com/ChatEntry/Protected.aspx

Community Icon

Community Icon
Community Icon
I am a Comcast Employee.
Posted by
Regular Visitor

Message 49 of 64

I have the digital prefered package and Viceland was still taken away?? Also my internet is incredibilly slow. But yes, bill keeps going up!

Posted by
Official Employee

Message 50 of 64

idahosprings wrote:

I have the digital prefered package and Viceland was still taken away?? Also my internet is incredibilly slow. But yes, bill keeps going up!

In your area, I am showing Viceland as available on channel 116 and in HD on 388 included as part of your current level of service. 

Are you still having this issue? Are you seeing a blackscreen, bluescreen, or anerrormessage or were you not able to tune to this channel at all (does the box skip over that channel)? Is this happening on your X1 box or on the smaller boxes (DTAs)?  

Thanks for any additional details that you are able to provide.

I will have someone reach out to you regarding the above and your report of slow internet service. Thanks for your patience. 

Community Icon

Community Icon
Community Icon
I am a Comcast Employee.