Xfinity plant
Xfinity globe
Community Forum

TruTv

Regular Visitor

Re: TruTv

We know. It's just that certain channels should be available to all. TruTV, GSN, SyFy, and others should be base channels.

New Poster

I stopped getting TruTV in mid-May (I live in the Northern VA/DC area).  An online Comcast chat rep said it was because their channel lineups had changed.  I have tried viewing Comcast's available TV packages online since May 10 but the site has consistently given me an error message asking me to call instead.  I finally called today; the rep. I spoke with confirmed the lineups had changed and switched me to a TV package that she said included TruTV.  The package change took effect, yet I still am not getting TruTV.  I called back and spoke to a different rep. who said that Comcast lost the rights to air TruTV so there are NO packages that include it.  She said they were still in negotiations to try to get it back.  Very frustrating.

Frequent Visitor

^ Same. 

Regular Visitor

Yes, frustrating, especially considering how popular TruTV is this makes no sense.

Silver Problem Solver

Again, it is absolutly not true that Comcast has lost TruTV. 

New Poster

Silver Problem Solver

I am in the Boston area. Comcast moved TruTV and several other channels to a higher tier. Comcast seems to be telling some people that the channel is no longer available, but that is simply not true.

Regular Visitor

We agree. It's not gone. You just have to pay more to get it.

Contributor

I am on the highest tier with Super Triple Play and lost it a few weeks ago

Frequent Visitor

You can still watch it if you had it already, that is true. I know because a family member still has it. (Also Boston area.)

But it is also true that you cannot upgrade to a higher tier in order to receive it at this point in time. It is still "included" with several packages but they don't have the rights to broadcast it to any customers that don't already have it grandfathered into their package.

So, it is on, technically. But not available to new customers - if it were grandfathered in, changing you service would nullify that fact. So even if you changed tiers, you wouldn't get trutv. 

Silver Problem Solver

This is from Comcast:

Xfinity TV Changes Effective May 9, 2018: The Weather Channel will only be available on Expanded Basic, Family Tier and new Sports & News tier; Cartoon Network will only be available on Digital Preferred and new Kids & Family tier; Disney Channel will only be available on Expanded Basic, Family Tier and Kids & Family tier; TruTV will only be available on Expanded Basic; Food Network will only be available on Expanded Basic, Family Tier, and new Entertainment tier.

Contributor

I think it happened about the time that I switched to the new packages. I went from the highest of the old triple plays to the highest of the new ones. I don't think anyone really knows what's going on.

Frequent Visitor

I received the same notice and have read said notice. It doesn't mean mine/others claims are invalid. I would've changed if it were possible. I appreciate your effort to inform people but your situation is not that of others. It only being available on certain tiers only seems to apply to existing packages and if you were to change your service you would also lose trutv.

Silver Problem Solver

I do not believe that the claims are invalid. It is really absurd if that is true. I am just saying that the phone reps very often give out bad information. I cannot find anywhere, officially, that TruTV is not available to new customers on some package.

Regular Visitor

I sent a detailed message to a superior at TruTV. Let's see what develops.

Frequent Visitor

My apologies, if my post came off as pointed. That notice didn't really address the issue aside from moving teirs. There would be no reason to think otherwise. I couldn't find any further information (on licensing rights or pricing disputes) either and that is a part of the reason it is so confusing.

I've been pretty tenacious in my quest to get tru tv back and nearly a dozen people (at comcast) have told me that is the case.

Official Employee

@leogetz8888 wrote:

Well what is funny is i get pointed to the channel lineup link so i can "see" what channels I am supposed to get...My package says 250+ well in the https://www.xfinity.com/learn/channel-lineup link there is no 250+ lineup there is a 260+ and a 220+...how do i know if I am supposed to have it or not...Chat help is no help and I am not calling wand waiting on hold to find out they can not help...

Apologies for the confusion that we may have caused. truTV is certainly available in your area on channels 69/186 and in HD on channels 902 and 1430 as a part of our Digital Starter package. The core level of video service currently listed on your account is showing as Limited Basic which does not include truTV.    

Includes Limited Basic, Kids & Family, Entertainment, Sports & News, Digital Premier Tier, Sports Entmt Pkg, Streampix, HD,
DVR Svc, Gigabit Internet, Netflix Standard (HD) Plan, TV Box w/ Remote, Voice Unlimited

Official Employee

@GRF73 wrote:

The only reason comcast rearranges packages is so people will upgrade and pay more. I am constantly bombarded with offers for being a loyal customer, but the offers are way more than I am paying now. Now that summer is coming up, I am out more and watch less tv. I will probably cancel my tv and pick up another service for tv. Comcast is the only internet service provider in my area so I am kind of stuck there, but I am satisfied with the internet service. The tv package , not so much

Apologies for the confusion that we may have caused.

truTV is certainly available in your area on channels 27/186 and in HD on channels 902 and 1430 as a part of our Digital Starter package. The core level of video service currently listed on your account is showing as Digital Economy which does not include truTV. 

Official Employee

@Sadbouttrutv wrote:

Did you change your plan in order to make that happen or is it grandfathered into your package? I realize it is still broadcasted/received, but I have been told numerous times that it has been dropped from current programming (or something like that, am paraphrasing.) 

It moved to a higher tier of digital but from what I gathered that is only if you currently have that service/tier. I don't think that Comcast would'be passed up the chance to upsell me. 

truTV is certainly available in your area on channels 27/186 and in HD on channels 902 and 1430 as a part of our Digital Starter package. The core level of video service currently listed on your account is showing as Limited Basic which does not include truTV.

Official Employee

@christy3 wrote:

I stopped getting TruTV in mid-May (I live in the Northern VA/DC area).  An online Comcast chat rep said it was because their channel lineups had changed.  I have tried viewing Comcast's available TV packages online since May 10 but the site has consistently given me an error message asking me to call instead.  I finally called today; the rep. I spoke with confirmed the lineups had changed and switched me to a TV package that she said included TruTV.  The package change took effect, yet I still am not getting TruTV.  I called back and spoke to a different rep. who said that Comcast lost the rights to air TruTV so there are NO packages that include it.  She said they were still in negotiations to try to get it back.  Very frustrating.

truTV is certainly available in your area on channels 66/187 and in HD on channels 841 and 1430 as a part of our Digital Starter package. The core level of video service currently listed on your account is showing as Digital Economy which does not include truTV.

Official Employee

@brucefon12 wrote:

Yes, frustrating, especially considering how popular TruTV is this makes no sense.

truTV is certainly available in your area on channels 44/186 and in HD on channels 735 and 1430 as a part of our Digital Starter package. The core level of video service currently listed on your account is showing as Digital Economy which does not include truTV.

Official Employee

@mollinmark wrote:

I think it happened about the time that I switched to the new packages. I went from the highest of the old triple plays to the highest of the new ones. I don't think anyone really knows what's going on.

truTV is certainly available in your area on channels 259 and in HD on channels 841 and 1430 as a part of our Digital Starter package. The core level of video service currently listed on your account is showing as Limited Basic which does not include truTV.

Contributor

@ComcastTeds wrote:

@mollinmark wrote:

truTV is certainly available in your area on channels 259 and in HD on channels 841 and 1430 as a part of our Digital Starter package. The core level of video service currently listed on your account is showing as Limited Basic which does not include truTV.

Thank you very much for the response.  I see that now on my bill:

Super Triple Play...Includes Limited Basic, Kids & Family, Entertainment, Sports & News, Digital Premier Tier, Sports Entmt Pkg, Streampix, HD, DVR Svc, Gigabit Internet, Netflix Standard (HD) Plan, TV Box w/ Remote, Voice Unlimited

Honestly, I am thoroghly confused here. I can't find another channel other than TruTV that I don't get.  According to the channel lineup page it was available on Starter, Preferred and Premiere.  On the new plans, it is not even part of any of the Triple or Double Plays as of 4/17.  

https://www.xfinity.com/channel-lineup-northeast

Regular Visitor

Ted, get the managment to put TruTV back in all tiers.

Hey, throw in GSN and SyFy too.  These all used to be in the base packages.

New Poster

I have Digital Preferred TV in the signature triple play. I lost TruTV when I contacted comcast I was told it is only available on Digital Starter which makes little sense. I pointed out I have a higher package and pay more money that should I have access to channels the lower tiers have. The rep agreed that it was confusing but again stressed I do not have access because it is only available in the digital starter package. Even more confusing they then told me I could still stream the channel on any of my streaming devices.

Good old Comcast nothing like paying more and losing access to channels that lower tiers still have available.
Silver Problem Solver

I have digital preferred and I have TruTV.

Contributor

@barbie123 wrote:

I have digital preferred and I have TruTV.

That's because you are on one of the old plans.  You would lose it if you switched to one of the new plans even though you would still be on Digital Preferred.

Silver Problem Solver

I guess it is an old plan. But according to the Comcast mods here, that has nothing to do with it.

Contributor

@barbie123 wrote:

I guess it is an old plan. But according to the Comcast mods here, that has nothing to do with it.

Here are the old plans.  Trutv is listed.  If you click on the View Lineups button, it takes you to the new plans after 4/17 and TruTv is nowhere to be found.  It's like they're phasing it out.  I wonder if they'll make everyone switch to one of the new plans at some point.  I'm guessing some of the reps are just as confused as the customers.

https://www.xfinity.com/learn/channel-lineup

Official Employee

@mollinmark wrote:

@ComcastTeds wrote:

@mollinmark wrote:

Thank you very much for the response.  I see that now on my bill:

Super Triple Play...Includes Limited Basic, Kids & Family, Entertainment, Sports & News, Digital Premier Tier, Sports Entmt Pkg, Streampix, HD, DVR Svc, Gigabit Internet, Netflix Standard (HD) Plan, TV Box w/ Remote, Voice Unlimited

Honestly, I am thoroghly confused here. I can't find another channel other than TruTV that I don't get.  According to the channel lineup page it was available on Starter, Preferred and Premiere.  On the new plans, it is not even part of any of the Triple or Double Plays as of 4/17.  

https://www.xfinity.com/channel-lineup-northeast

Apologies. truTV should be available as a part of Digital Starter packages. I've asked our local team to review your account and reach out to you directly to present options that include truTV as a part of your level of service. Apologies again for the confusion and thanks for your patience. 

Official Employee

@Rabuck wrote:
I have Digital Preferred TV in the signature triple play. I lost TruTV when I contacted comcast I was told it is only available on Digital Starter which makes little sense. I pointed out I have a higher package and pay more money that should I have access to channels the lower tiers have. The rep agreed that it was confusing but again stressed I do not have access because it is only available in the digital starter package. Even more confusing they then told me I could still stream the channel on any of my streaming devices.

Good old Comcast nothing like paying more and losing access to channels that lower tiers still have available.

Apologies. truTV should be available as a part of Digital Starter packages in your area. I've asked our local team to review your account and reach out to you directly to present options that include truTV as a part of your level of service. Apologies again for the confusion and thanks for your patience.

New Poster

ComcastTeds are you saying that even though I don’t have the digital starter package and instead have the signature triple play with digital preferred that I should still have TruTV?
New Poster

I'm not clear either....is is that as long as I get limited basic even with the Digital Preferred Tier 210+ more channels, I don't get TruTV?

Limited Basic, Kids & Family programming, Entertainment programming, Sports & News programming, Digital Preferred Tier 210+ Channels

Blast!® Internet Download speeds up to 250 Mbps

XFINITY Voice Unlimited US & Int'l Calling

Frequent Visitor

Why is it not available on my current service? 

Regular Visitor

So it looks like if I upgrade or downgrade I'll never get TruTV. it's gone unless I had service for some length of time. That, the grandfathering, is the next question. How long did you need an account to be blessed with not losing a channel?

Silver Problem Solver

Comcastteds, you are just adding to the confusion. Are you saying that TruTV should be included in all packages  from Digital starter and up? Or Digital Starter only. Is there any grandfathering going on?? Please provide a clear answer.

Official Employee

@Rabuck wrote:
ComcastTeds are you saying that even though I don’t have the digital starter package and instead have the signature triple play with digital preferred that I should still have TruTV?

In your area, truTV is only currently available with Digital Starter (also known as Expanded Basic).

truTV is now not available with the video package (level of service) that you currently have.  As mentioned earlier, I've asked our local team to review your account and reach out to you directly to present options that include truTV as a part of your level of service.

Below was included on your cable invoice dated 3/12/18 (bold added by me):  

Xfinity TV Changes Effective May 9, 2018: The Weather Channel will only be available on Expanded Basic, Family Tier and new Sports & News tier; Cartoon Network will only be available on Digital Preferred and new Kids & Family tier; Disney Channel will only be available on Expanded Basic, Family Tier and Kids & Family tier; TruTV will only be available on Expanded Basic; Food Network will only be available on Expanded Basic, Family Tier, and new Entertainment tier. The following channels will be added to Digital Economy: BBC World News, Bloomberg, Hallmark Movies & Mysteries and  Smithsonian. Outside TV will no longer be available.

Apologies again for the confusion and thanks for your patience.

Official Employee

@Rob732 wrote:

I'm not clear either....is is that as long as I get limited basic even with the Digital Preferred Tier 210+ more channels, I don't get TruTV?

Limited Basic, Kids & Family programming, Entertainment programming, Sports & News programming, Digital Preferred Tier 210+ Channels

Blast!® Internet Download speeds up to 250 Mbps

XFINITY Voice Unlimited US & Int'l Calling

In your area, truTV is only currently available with Digital Starter (also known as Expanded Basic).

truTV is now not available with the video package (level of service) that you currently have. 

Below was included on your cable invoice dated 3/14/18 (bold added by me):

Xfinity TV Changes Effective May 10, 2018: The Weather Channel will only be available on Expanded Basic, Family Tier, and new Sports & News tier; Cartoon Network will only be available on Digital Preferred and new Kids & Family tier; Disney Channel will only be available on Expanded Basic, Family Tier and Kids & Family tier; TruTV will only be available on Expanded Basic; Food Network will only be available on Expanded Basic, Family Tier and new Entertainment tier. The following channels will be added to Digital Economy: BBC America, BBC World News, Bloomberg, Hallmark Movies & Mysteries and Smithsonian. WFN will no longer be available.

Official Employee

@Sadbouttrutv wrote:

Why is it not available on my current service? 

These changes are part of an ongoing effort to review the programming we offer based on a host of factors including programming costs, alternative viewing options and overall viewing habits (e.g., more lightly viewed programming).

Official Employee

@brucefon12 wrote:

So it looks like if I upgrade or downgrade I'll never get TruTV. it's gone unless I had service for some length of time. That, the grandfathering, is the next question. How long did you need an account to be blessed with not losing a channel?

Not true -  In your area, truTV is only currently available with Digital Starter (also known as Expanded Basic). Your current level of service is listed as Digital Economy.  truTV is now not available with the video package (level of service) that you currently have. 

Below was included on your cable invoice dated 3/14/18 (bold added by me):

Important Account Information: Xfinity TV Changes Effective May 10, 2018: The Weather Channel will only be available on Limited Basic and new Sports & News tier; Cartoon Network will only be available on Digital Preferred and new Kids & Family tier; Disney Channel will only be available on Expanded Basic, Family Tier and Kids & Family tier; TruTV will only be available on Expanded Basic; Food Network will only be available on Expanded Basic, Family Tier and new Entertainment tier. The following channels will be added to Digital Economy: BBC World News, Bloomberg, Hallmark Movies & Mysteries and Smithsonian. Big Ten Network, NBC Sports Bay OOM, NBC Sports Chicago OOM, Outside TV and Sports Net-NY OOM will no longer be available.

Highlighted
Official Employee

@barbie123 wrote:

Comcastteds, you are just adding to the confusion. Are you saying that TruTV should be included in all packages  from Digital starter and up? Or Digital Starter only. Is there any grandfathering going on?? Please provide a clear answer.

Clearer answers provided. Thanks! 

Silver Problem Solver

Almost, you skipped the grandfathering part. I have TruTV, and I do not have expanded basic. Why? ( I am not complaining).

Frequent Visitor

So one might say it was dropped from the service? 

Programming cost seems like it would be a non issue, at least in comparison the cost of rights to air a litany of major league sports. Talking lightly viewed, I haven't even hit info. 

I do hope it is on going and under further review it is more accurate to my personal peference. 

Thanks.

New Poster

Oxygen and ID network are also gone, and I was told there is no package that offers any of these channels which IMO is absolutely ridiculous. I just signed up for my service, and specifically asked for Oxygen, ID and TruTv and was told my package included all three, and then I get my service and it includes none of them and now I can't even get them at all? <Edited for violating forum guidelines: "Inflammatory">. Those were the only channels I watched live, so I think it's time to switch to a streaming service. 

New Poster

I just signed up for an "upgraded" package this past weekend that includes "every channel", and I no longer have TRUtv or ID Discovery which were 2 stations my wife and I constantly watched.  I was told they no longer carry the channels as of early May.  I asked how I was able to watch the channels prior to this weekend if they stopped carrying them a month ago, and I was told "it may have been grandfathered."  Something sounds fishy because you either offer the station or you don't.  My guess is that if you change your package then these stations are gone moving forward.  I was also told by a representative through online chat that I could have the channel added, but it would cost more money.  So one person tells me it can be added for more money, and then another person tells me the channel is not available any more.  Again...just fishy.  I am looking into switching to Verizon now <Edited for violating forum guidelines: "Inflammatory">.

Contributor

@ajfriedman13 wrote:

I just signed up for an "upgraded" package this past weekend that includes "every channel", and I no longer have TRUtv or ID Discovery which were 2 stations my wife and I constantly watched.  I was told they no longer carry the channels as of early May.  I asked how I was able to watch the channels prior to this weekend if they stopped carrying them a month ago, and I was told "it may have been grandfathered."  Something sounds fishy because you either offer the station or you don't.  My guess is that if you change your package then these stations are gone moving forward.  I was also told by a representative through online chat that I could have the channel added, but it would cost more money.  So one person tells me it can be added for more money, and then another person tells me the channel is not available any more.  Again...just fishy.  I am looking into switching to Verizon now since <Edited for violating forum guidelines: "Inflammatory">.

It has more to do with CSRs not knowing what they're talking about than lying.  The only way to get it back is to go back to one of the old packages.  I don't think they can just add those channels back a la carte. They might be giving you a call soon after your post asking you if you'd like to do that.  The new packages are actually cheaper though if you got on one of the 2-year promotional prices.  I am still better off without those channels with the addition of Netflix and Gig speed for $10 cheaper per month.  But that's just me and you might not agree.  The CSRs are just not up to speed on these new packages yet.  There's a great thread out there where one person was told that they had to send a tech out to upgrade to Gig internet because the speeds are so fast that they can cause a fire in the walls.

New Poster

so I am also saving $10 a month on my bill with the new package and the 2 year agreement, but the representative I spoke to on the phone said that even if I wanted the stations they would not be available to offer.  Which is funny because the online rep I chatted with before the phone call said it could be added for an additional charge.  I told the rep on the phone that, and she said "I would have called his bluff."  Umm, what bluff???  You both work for the same company.  Why should I have to call a bluff.  You either offer the stations or you don't.  One tells me they can, the other says there is no way to add them.  Like you said, everyone is on a different page.

Official Employee

@barbie123 wrote:

Almost, you skipped the grandfathering part. I have TruTV, and I do not have expanded basic. Why? ( I am not complaining).

Channel lineups, packaging and pricing can vary from area to area. 

Regular Visitor

"....from area to area."

I was told by a Senior Customer Relations person (your boss?)

She told me this when I brought up the impending changes in May:

1) I saw this on the online bill, which I recently paid:

"Important Account Information, cont.
Xfinity TV Changes Effective May 10, 2018: The Weather Channel will only be available on Limited Basic and new Sports & News tier; Cartoon Network will only be available on Digital Preferred and new Kids & Family tier; Disney Channel will only be available on Expanded Basic, Family Tier and Kids & Family tier; TruTV will only be available on Expanded Basic; Food Network will only be available on Expanded Basic, Family Tier and new Entertainment tier."

We regularly evaluate our channel lineups and sometimes make changes to ensure we're offering customers a wide variety of content at the best value.  Additionally, because our business agreement with the a station's owner to carry an out-of-market broadcast station in your area ends, we can no longer provide it as part of our channel lineup.

So now Cable Channels are Out-of-Market Broadcast Stations?

Official Employee

@brucefon12 wrote:

"....from area to area."

I was told by a Senior Customer Relations person (your boss?)

She told me this when I brought up the impending changes in May:

1) I saw this on the online bill, which I recently paid:

"Important Account Information, cont.
Xfinity TV Changes Effective May 10, 2018: The Weather Channel will only be available on Limited Basic and new Sports & News tier; Cartoon Network will only be available on Digital Preferred and new Kids & Family tier; Disney Channel will only be available on Expanded Basic, Family Tier and Kids & Family tier; TruTV will only be available on Expanded Basic; Food Network will only be available on Expanded Basic, Family Tier and new Entertainment tier."

We regularly evaluate our channel lineups and sometimes make changes to ensure we're offering customers a wide variety of content at the best value.  Additionally, because our business agreement with the a station's owner to carry an out-of-market broadcast station in your area ends, we can no longer provide it as part of our channel lineup.

So now Cable Channels are Out-of-Market Broadcast Stations?

Apologies for any confusion we may have caused. You heard from one of our local team members. Apologies that she may have  inadvertently included language around out of market broadcasters which doesn't apply in the case of truTV.