Find solutions, share knowledge, and get answers from customers and experts

New to the Community? Start here.

members

online now

discussions

Sprout?

New Poster

Sprout?

Where has the sprout channel gone? I have a 3 year old that watches it and it's his favorite! It's gone? Why!? He's not gunna understand this ๐Ÿ˜ญ ๐Ÿ˜ญ ๐Ÿ˜ญ ๐Ÿ˜ญ
Tags (1)
New Poster

Re: Sprout?

I have a four-year-old who is having a meltdown right now. There was no warning that this was going away. There is no other comparable channel to Sprout in the lineup. Disney is a pay channel.....We are very unhappy! I may just cancel my cable and strictly use my Roku. 

Tags (1)
New Poster

Sprout is the only channel I allow my kids to watch. It is a very wholesome channel for kids. Unlike any other kids' channels that promote not so good values amongst kids. Why on earth did they remove sprout without notice?
Problem Solver

Sprout was renamed Universal Kids.

It should have the same programming and be available on the same channel that Sprout previously was for you.
Official Employee

All - 

Sprout has been rebranded as Universal Kids

On September 9, the TV network formerly known as Sprout was rebranded as Universal Kids.

Universal Kids is the 24-hour, preschool age TV channel that parents and kids can share together. The channel is home to trusted favorites like Sesame Street and Barney & Friends, plus innovative original series like The Sunny Side Up Show and The Good Night Show. From morning to night, parents and kids can enjoy everything from singing and dancing to birthday wishes and bedtime stories.

Universal Kids live and On Demand programming is included with the XFINITY TV Digital Starter level of service and above. It is available on XFINITY X1 and non-X1 TV boxes as well as the XFINITY Stream portal and app for mobiles devices. In addition, Universal Kids is available via TV Everywhere online at universalkids.com and the Universal Kids mobile app.

Community Icon
I am an Official Comcast Employee.
Official Employees are from multiple teams within Comcast: Product, Support, Leadership.
We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit from the conversation.

Was your question answered? Mark it as an accepted solution!solution Icon
Community Icon
I am an Offical Comcast Employee.
Official Employees are from multiple teams within Comcast.
We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit.
Community Icon
I am a Comcast Employee.
Please post so people with similar questions may benefit.
Was your question answered?
Mark it as a solution!solution Icon
New Poster

Apparently this rebranding involves other programming that is not suitable for preschoolers. If you looked at the sprout lineup, you could have let a small child turn that channel on anytime without worry. The first show we found was way too old for preschool age.
New Poster

Universal kids is not appropriate for my 4 year old in the evenings if I wanted him to watch shows like this I would just turn on Nick at night or Disney channel. Very disappointed!
New Poster

This was the worse mistake comcast could have made.. You had the market cornered for preschoolers... plus you already had channels that catered to older children... there was no need to integrate the two. This is the reason why so many are dropping cable and opting for other entertainment outlets!
New Poster

Universal kids is no where near sprout.  My granddaughter loves this channel and she watches this when I am cooking or doing chores.  I cannot find ANY other channel that compares to sprout.  There was no reason to change this.  I will be looking into other options since one of the few channels we watch has been taken away.  Highly disappointed.  

New Poster

That is a lie !  Call it rebranded or what ever you want to, it's still a load of c-r-a-p ! When my 4yr old and 2 yr old can clearly tell it is not the same channel, guess what that means ? It's not the same channel ! Not the same programs/shows on channel, that means it's different !  This might just be the straw that breaks the camels back !  I have no idea why I don't let Direct TV dig a line into my yard for service. Would be so much cheaper. I must be a glutton for punishment to keep putting up with this garbage service.

Silver Problem Solver

MsKit wrote:
This was the worse mistake comcast could have made.. You had the market cornered for preschoolers... plus you already had channels that catered to older children... there was no need to integrate the two. This is the reason why so many are dropping cable and opting for other entertainment outlets!

Comcast most likely has nothing to do with the rebranding. If you have a complaint, complain to PBS.

http://help.pbs.org/support/home

http://www.pbs.org/about/contact-information/social-media/

Valued Contributor

andyross wrote:

MsKit wrote:

Comcast most likely has nothing to do with the rebranding. If you have a complaint, complain to PBS.

http://help.pbs.org/support/home

http://www.pbs.org/about/contact-information/social-media/

Universal Kids (formerly Sprout) is a Comcast/NBCUniversal property.

Valued Contributor

universalkids.com/schedule/UK_TV_Schedule.pdf

New Poster

The channel was not renamed it was replaced
Valued Contributor

Highlander927 wrote:
The channel was not renamed it was replaced

https://www.nbcumv.com/news/sprout-become-universal-kids-september-2017-expanding-its-programming-in...

SPROUT TO BECOME UNIVERSAL KIDS IN SEPTEMBER 2017, EXPANDING ITS PROGRAMMING TO INCLUDE KIDS 6-11

Universal Kids Further Builds NBCUniversalโ€™s Commitment to Preschoolers, Kids and Families With Content From DreamWorks Animation Television Slate Includes Kids Unscripted Originals Led by Top Chef Junior

New York, NY โ€“ May 1, 2017 โ€“ NBCUniversal Cable Entertainment Lifestyle Networks President Frances Berwick announced today that Sprout, its preschool network, is rebranding to become Universal Kids. Universal Kids will continue to be the premier source for preschool programming as it expands its content to include DreamWorks Animation Television series, unscripted entertainment, live action scripted originals and proven international hits, extending its audience to 2-11 year olds.

Universal Kids โ€“ which will go live on September 9, 2017 โ€“ will be a destination for kids and family programming, including titles from DreamWorks Animation Television. The collaboration kicks off with the launches of two Emmyยฎ Award-winning series All Hail King Julien and DreamWorks Dragons: Riders of Berk, based on the popular โ€œHow To Train Your Dragonโ€ franchise.

The Universal Kids lineup will be anchored by the debut of Top Chef Junior, produced by Magical Elves, the Emmy Award-winning team behind Bravoโ€™s Top Chef. Top Chef Junior will launch in October 2017, with 12 young chefs competing for the coveted junior title.

Sprout will live as a trusted preschool destination on the Universal Kids channel and will continue to add high quality original programming to its slate. July 2017 will mark the launch of Kody Kapow, which joins top rated series Floogals, Dot., Ninaโ€™s World, and Noddy Toyland Detective from DreamWorks Animation Television. Sprout will air fifteen hours of preschool programming daily from 3am-6pm, with Universal Kids programmed from 6pm for older kids and families.

โ€œWe see enormous potential to grow our audience in this space and create the Universal Kids platform for families to experience together,โ€ said Berwick. โ€œNBCUniversal is invested in the kids and family business, and the company believes in working together โ€“ we will benefit from promotion across our portfolio of networks and across the company through support that is unparalleled in the industry.โ€

โ€œThe launch of a channel that represents the world of NBCUniversal family brands with great TV content at its center makes tremendous sense for our business,โ€ said Deirdre Brennan, General Manager, Universal Kids. โ€œJust as children grow, Sprout is growing into Universal Kids โ€“ and we will reflect all that is universal about being a kid through connection, storytelling and entertainment. A place that reflects their life and passions.โ€

Also part of the Universal Kids programming mix are award-winning international hit series, including Nowhere Boys from NBCUniversal, a fantasy-adventure that follows four teenagers who get lost in a forest and discover โ€“ when they return home โ€“ that they are stuck in a world where they never existed; Little Lunch, a comedy series from the Australian Childrenโ€™s Television Foundation that takes place during lunch, where kids tackle the big issues; and The Next Step, a single-camera tween drama from Boat Rocker Studios that follows the lives of a group of elite dancers. In addition, Universal Kids will premiere Hank Zipzer from DHX Media. Based on the bestselling series of novels by Henry Winkler, the series focuses on the misadventures of Hank Zipzer, a 12 year old dyslexic schoolboy. The books are based on Winklerโ€™s own childhood experiences.

About Universal Kids:

Universal Kids represents the world of NBCUniversal family brands. As a kid-focused ecosystem with great TV content at the center, Universal Kids is programmed for the 2-11 year old audience, with a fresh mix of animated content, unscripted entertainment, live action scripted originals, and proven international hits. Launching in September 2017 and available in over 59 million homes, Universal Kids will also encompass Sprout as a daily programming block for preschoolers from 3am to 6pm, and will be available for kids and families across all platforms, including on air, online, On Demand and via mobile with the Sprout Now and Sprout Playground apps.

New Poster

This channel while offering a couple of the same shows, has changed for the worse. I know they expanded to include children up to ages 11 but when those older shows come on, I am forced to switch the channel to Disney jr or Nick jr because they have the preschool programming. Bottom line, we used to always and only watch sprout, but now this change is making us switch to other channels (channels that are the same competitors that NBCU is trying to compete with) it just doesn't make sense. Give us the old sprout back!
New Poster

It is not the same programming or shows. Very disappointing for my Grandson

New Poster

Exactly!!

New Poster

Being on the West Coast the timing never quite lined up for the kiddos.  Now with "11 year old" programming we can't every really watch this channel.  The inappropriate televison is on in the evening.  Where are pre-schoolers supposed to go?  This is not ok.  Looks like you have lost another viewer.

New Poster

Boooo... Sprout was one of a kind. This rebranded whatchamacallit is no contender. So many other channels that could've used an overhaul, and they had to muddle the one that was near perfect... Sad in many many ways....
New Poster

Unfortunately, Comcast/Xfinity has misinformed its employees. The programming is not the same or similar in any way, nor is it appropriate for 5 year olds or younger. I have a 4 year old autistic child and he is constantly asking for sprout. His limited time for television is now moot because Comcast/Xfinity no longer offer consistent programs for his age group. We are constantly changing the channel ending in dissatisfaction or trying to convince him to watch a video on the computer or iPad. This is very disappointing and discriminatory. These types of shows are already available on other channels/networks. Why take this away from the babies? The older kids are usually in school and on a more strict schedule. 

New Poster

Very sad.  The new programming is NOTHING like the original Sprout.  It was the only channel available for young children.  Even Disney is not appropriate anymore. There is now nothing my youngest grandchild can watch!

New Poster

So I have premier package and am former employee....i do not have universal kids. My daughter asked for sprout tonight n this is when I noticed it's gone!!!! I followed this post like o ok....on demand or saying universal kids on x1 says no channel n not on demand!!!!!
New Poster

I have premier package n no access to channel!!!
Official Employee

Samanthahorn198 wrote:
I have premier package n no access to channel!!!

Apologies for the issue and the experience that you described above. I am seeing this channel as available on your current level of service on channel 122 and in HD on channel 1707.

Are you still having this issue? Are you seeing a black screen, blue screen, or an error message or were you not able to tune to this channel at all (does the box skip over that channel)?

Thanks for any additional details that you are able to provide.

Community Icon
I am an Official Comcast Employee.
Official Employees are from multiple teams within Comcast: Product, Support, Leadership.
We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit from the conversation.

Community Icon
I am an Offical Comcast Employee.
Official Employees are from multiple teams within Comcast.
We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit.
Community Icon
I am a Comcast Employee.
Please post so people with similar questions may benefit.
Was your question answered?
Mark it as a solution!solution Icon
New Poster

I'm very disappointed
New Poster

I was also surprised they removed Sprout and replaced it with this Universal Kids. For those interested, try BabyTV. It's not on sprout level but it's close. Only baby shows and activities for parents with their babies. it's on channel 124 if in Northern Virginia. 

New Poster

Why??? All of a sudden our routine has been disrupted! We loved sprout and the sprout line-up. My 3 year old is so sad! Hope you get what you were hoping for with this change, Comcast! ๐Ÿ‘Ž
New Poster

This isn't a regarding. Universal is owned by Comcast and Sprout was a PBS owned channel. It seems Comcast cut out Sprout so it wouldn't have competition from probably the best pre schooler channel. This was a huge mistake because the programs are nothing like what was on Sprout and we will all have to find something else more comparable. Comcast really knows how to mess things up which is why I will be going to strictly internet for streaming and No more cable TV...
New Poster

Well, here it is, the 1st time we've had our grand daughters over in several weeks. Go to fire up Sprout, nowhere to be found.

Then, I read this. The replacement offering is nothing like Sprout. How dare you Comcast/Xfinity.
New Poster

The preschool programming is from 3am to 6pm East Coast Time. This means that it's over at 3pm on the west coast. How hard is it for them to broadcast the west coast feed on west coast time??? This was less of an issue when it was 24 hour preschool programming but it makes the channel unwatchable by the west coasters who just want to allow their kids to watch tv for an hour so we can make dinner! Very disappointed in this transition.
Regular Visitor

It doesn't have the same programs. They put older kids shows on in the early evening and bedtime. Prefer the old programs.
Regular Visitor

Comcast thinks we are stupid. I would not have them if I didn't leave in a rural area.
New Poster

Nope..the programming is dumb and not for 2 yr olds...I got xfinity to have this channel for my daughter..Lame
New Poster

They took all the shows that a toddler would watch on a Saturday morning and put stupid stuff on...same with night time...my daughter used to fall asleep to floogals and jungle bunch...and she loved the sunny side up show...tbis new channel is stupid...just like all the rest...nick jtmr..disney jr....this was the only channel for a 2 yr old and you took it away...๐Ÿ˜ ๐Ÿ˜ 
New Poster

Comcast, employee, can you enlighten us on when your organization will take notice to the MANY MANY parents/caretakers who have a huge problem with this channel and itโ€™s complete rebranding?
Comcast has taken away shows our children loved and were eager to be apart of and insisted on throwing in โ€˜olderโ€™ version shows.. For what? Older kids have PLENTY of shows for them. This channel was different and better for our YOUNGER audience! BRING THE ORIGINALITY BACK, then cater to more ACCEPTABLE revisions for children aged 0-6 years.. why fix something that wasnโ€™t broken in the first place!?
Actually, hereโ€™s a good question, how many viewers were lost to this channel and whatโ€™s the statistics on that compared to before?