Welcome to Xfinity Help & Support Forums
Find solutions, share knowledge, and get answers from customers and experts

New to the Community? Start here.

members

topics

NHL Center Ice Blackout?

Frequent Visitor

NHL Center Ice Blackout?

I tried watching both of the late night NHL games tonight.  However, both of them say that the games are blacked out in my local market.  Considering I live in Colorado, and the games are in Edmonton and Anaheim, I don't understand  (and neither  game involves Colorado).  I hope this isn't  going to continue  or I will have to ask for a refund.

Regular Visitor

Re: NHL Center Ice Blackout?

Gosh, my situation is identical.  I'm in Colorado and tried to watch both of those games last night, but couldn't - not what I expected.  I'm on hold with Xfinity now.  

Regular Visitor

The folks I takled to were not able to resolve.  They have escalated my ticket.  I'll update the thread.

Frequent Visitor

Let me know what you find out (if anything).  Reading similar posts from last year makes it sound like it is hard to find the right person to address the issue.  I had the package all of last season  and don't remember any issues.

Regular Visitor

I called xfinity/comcast last night and received a couple of bogus answers....first they said the game was blacked out in Colorado because the Edmonton/Winnipeg game was not sold out.    Well, it was sold out so that was garbage.

Then they said they had no control over what was being shown and it was all up to the NHL and that I should call the NHL.  I reminded them that I don't pay my annual fee to the NHL rather to Comcast and they just said there was nothing they could do.

Extremely frustrating 45 minutes on the phone with agents who had ZERO information...Comcast looked really bad.

I'm going to stop by the Comcast store near me because they are usually very helpful.

This situation did not exist last year so I'm hoping its just a glitch for now.

Otherwise I want my money back.

Regular Visitor

Oh yes, one more thing....the Av's were not playing last night.   They were showing a reply of a game played earlier in the day.

So that excuse was also a lie.

Frequent Visitor

Wow, that is ridiculous.  I just read the blackout info from last month on page 1 of the forum again.  It explicitly states that the only games that will be blacked out if you have Center Ice are ones that are carried by a local/regional station.  Last I checked, I am not close to California or Edmonton.  I am going to see if I have better luck tonight but I agree that it is not worth it  if I can't watch the late games since those are the ones I see the most.

Frequent Visitor

UPDATE:  Now I can't  watch the game that is on right now, Rangers vs. Blues...

New Poster

Same for me. I spent TWO AND A HALF HOURS on chat last night with three customer service support reps who did nothing but say to send out a tech (...) and spam copy / paste the blackout rules at me. I understand there is a 50 mile blackout radius, but both Winnipeg and Edmonton (last night's game) are over ONE THOUSAND miles away. Now the same thing with the game on right now.

It is obvious that somebody clicked the wrong checkboxes for Colorado so we are getting blacked out for a whole bunch of other markets.

Frequent Visitor

Just got off of chat myself.  The agent was nice enough.  He told me that others in my area are having the same issue.  He also said that the problem is not on their end, that the broadcaster refuses to release these game to our market.  No idea what that means or whother the "broadcaster"  would be in this case.  Supposedly a ticket has been submitted for me as well.

New Poster

I'm in northern Indiana and a few nights ago both St. Louis and Chicago were blacked out. We can theoretically get the Chicago station, but I'm hours from anywhere that carries the Blues.

Tonight the Blues feed of another game is on, but Columbus Blue Jackets are blacked out.

The NHL puts a ridiculous amount of effort into trying to make sure people can't watch or enjoy hocket at any price. I don't get it.

New Poster

I live in the Boston area - went to turn on rangers and blues and said it's blacked out?!
New Poster

Got even worse tonight I'm in Connecticut and NO Canadian teams were available to watch, the Canadiens were on NBC.
New Poster

Every time I try to watch a game that has a team from Canada it says it is blacked out. I talked to a Comcast guy from CT where I live and he said it was a glitch and it would fixed when the free preview ended, which was last night. It is still not fixed tonight, this needs to be fixed or I'm cancelling and getting it through NHL.com.
New Poster

Wow, am I glad to finally hear someone else having the same issues. I'm so frustrated, I'm fit to be tied. Can't believe the completely arbitrary blackouts on the NHL Center Ice games so far this season! We're in CT, and we've been subscribing to Center Ice for seven years (to the tune of about $150 per year on top of our already sky-high regular Comcast bill) so we can watch all Montreal Canadiens games (with the exception of Habs-NYR games, which are always blacked out unless they're on NBC or NBCSN). (We like to watch other games on the Canadiens' off nights too.)<br>Well, what is going on?? All western teams' games blacked out, regardless of who's playing whom, plus plenty of other games blacked out as well. NJ-TOR game blacked out right now, for instance. Why bkack out a New Jersey Devils or Toronto Mapke Leafs game in CT?? More games have been blacked out than haven't! We've had to watch most of the games this past week on Network TV instead of the Center Ice that we're paying extra for! The last straw will be when/if Habs games are blacked out. (So far, the only one that has been on Center Ice was vs Buffalo on opening night (not blacked out), the rest have been on network, except for Sunday's game vs NYR, which we knew would be blacked out.) <br>And the Comcast customer service people are useless. They have no idea what we're talking about when we mention NHL Center Ice, even though they sure as h#ll know how to bill us for it, and you mention the word 'blackout' and they think you're talking about 'outages' and reset your box!<br>The least Comcast can do is brief their employees on the products they're peddling. <br>Please, if anyone finds out anything about what the NHL or the powers-that-be are doing to resolve/straighten out this whole mess, let us know! We've tried phone calls, tweets, e-mails (which ended up being to bogus e-mail addresses), all a complete waste of time. Or, what is the best alternative to Center Ice? <br>Must have Canadiens games. Don't really want to have to find bootleg streams if any other option.<br>Thanks.
New Poster

Looks like a grand total of 1 game being aired/not blacked out on NHL Center Ice in CT this evening, out of the 5 games on the docket. What happened to the 40 out-of-market games every week? We're paying $150+ for what?
Official Employee

Jthomas37thor wrote:

I tried watching both of the late night NHL games tonight.  However, both of them say that the games are blacked out in my local market.  Considering I live in Colorado, and the games are in Edmonton and Anaheim, I don't understand  (and neither  game involves Colorado).  I hope this isn't  going to continue  or I will have to ask for a refund.

Apologies for the issue and the experience that you described above. I am looking into the blackout issue for your area of Colorado that you encountered with NHL Center Ice this week. Thanks for your patience.  

Community Icon
I am an Official Comcast Employee.
Official Employees are from multiple teams within Comcast: Product, Support, Leadership.
We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit from the conversation.
Was your question answered? Mark a Best Answer!solution Icon
Community Icon
I am an Offical Comcast Employee.
Official Employees are from multiple teams within Comcast.
We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit.
Community Icon
I am a Comcast Employee.
Please post so people with similar questions may benefit.
Was your question answered?
Mark a Best Answer!solution Icon

Official Employee

Peachboy wrote:

Gosh, my situation is identical.  I'm in Colorado and tried to watch both of those games last night, but couldn't - not what I expected.  I'm on hold with Xfinity now.  

Apologies for the issue and the experience that you described above. I am looking into the blackout issue for your area of Colorado that you encountered with NHL Center Ice this week. Thanks for your patience.

Community Icon
Official Employees are from multiple teams within Comcast: Product, Support, Leadership.
We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit from the conversation.
Community Icon
Community Icon
I am a Comcast Employee.

Official Employee

Granto1 wrote:

I called xfinity/comcast last night and received a couple of bogus answers....first they said the game was blacked out in Colorado because the Edmonton/Winnipeg game was not sold out.    Well, it was sold out so that was garbage.

Then they said they had no control over what was being shown and it was all up to the NHL and that I should call the NHL.  I reminded them that I don't pay my annual fee to the NHL rather to Comcast and they just said there was nothing they could do.

Extremely frustrating 45 minutes on the phone with agents who had ZERO information...Comcast looked really bad.

I'm going to stop by the Comcast store near me because they are usually very helpful.

This situation did not exist last year so I'm hoping its just a glitch for now.

Otherwise I want my money back.

Apologies for the issue and the experience that you described above. Apologies also for the incorrect information that you were given by our agents.

I am looking into the blackout issue for your area of Colorado that you encountered with NHL Center Ice this week. Thanks for your patience.

Community Icon
Community Icon
Community Icon
I am a Comcast Employee.

Official Employee

Nate64 wrote:

Same for me. I spent TWO AND A HALF HOURS on chat last night with three customer service support reps who did nothing but say to send out a tech (...) and spam copy / paste the blackout rules at me. I understand there is a 50 mile blackout radius, but both Winnipeg and Edmonton (last night's game) are over ONE THOUSAND miles away. Now the same thing with the game on right now.

It is obvious that somebody clicked the wrong checkboxes for Colorado so we are getting blacked out for a whole bunch of other markets.

Apologies for the issue and the experience that you described above. Apologies also for the incorrect information that you were given by our agents.

I am looking into the blackout issue for your area of Colorado that you encountered with NHL Center Ice this week. Thanks for your patience.

Community Icon
Community Icon
Community Icon
I am a Comcast Employee.

Official Employee

Sneeze7x wrote:

I'm in northern Indiana and a few nights ago both St. Louis and Chicago were blacked out. We can theoretically get the Chicago station, but I'm hours from anywhere that carries the Blues.

Tonight the Blues feed of another game is on, but Columbus Blue Jackets are blacked out.

The NHL puts a ridiculous amount of effort into trying to make sure people can't watch or enjoy hocket at any price. I don't get it.

Apologies for the issue and the experience that you described above. I am looking into the NHL Center Ice blackout situation now for your area of Indiana. Glad that you were able to locate the Chicago games.

Some of the teams have wide and overlapping coverage areas. But I will confirm and verify! Thanks for your patience.

Community Icon
Community Icon
Community Icon
I am a Comcast Employee.

Official Employee

Pardog wrote:
I live in the Boston area - went to turn on rangers and blues and said it's blacked out?!

Apologies for the issue and the experience that you described above. I am looking into the NHL Center Ice blackout situation now for your area of Massachusetts. 

Thanks for your patience.

Community Icon
Community Icon
Community Icon
I am a Comcast Employee.

Official Employee

Skribbler wrote:
Wow, am I glad to finally hear someone else having the same issues. I'm so frustrated, I'm fit to be tied. Can't believe the completely arbitrary blackouts on the NHL Center Ice games so far this season! We're in CT, and we've been subscribing to Center Ice for seven years (to the tune of about $150 per year on top of our already sky-high regular Comcast bill) so we can watch all Montreal Canadiens games (with the exception of Habs-NYR games, which are always blacked out unless they're on NBC or NBCSN). (We like to watch other games on the Canadiens' off nights too.)<br>Well, what is going on?? All western teams' games blacked out, regardless of who's playing whom, plus plenty of other games blacked out as well. NJ-TOR game blacked out right now, for instance. Why bkack out a New Jersey Devils or Toronto Mapke Leafs game in CT?? More games have been blacked out than haven't! We've had to watch most of the games this past week on Network TV instead of the Center Ice that we're paying extra for! The last straw will be when/if Habs games are blacked out. (So far, the only one that has been on Center Ice was vs Buffalo on opening night (not blacked out), the rest have been on network, except for Sunday's game vs NYR, which we knew would be blacked out.) <br>And the Comcast customer service people are useless. They have no idea what we're talking about when we mention NHL Center Ice, even though they sure as h#ll know how to bill us for it, and you mention the word 'blackout' and they think you're talking about 'outages' and reset your box!<br>The least Comcast can do is brief their employees on the products they're peddling. <br>Please, if anyone finds out anything about what the NHL or the powers-that-be are doing to resolve/straighten out this whole mess, let us know! We've tried phone calls, tweets, e-mails (which ended up being to bogus e-mail addresses), all a complete waste of time. Or, what is the best alternative to Center Ice? <br>Must have Canadiens games. Don't really want to have to find bootleg streams if any other option.<br>Thanks.

Apologies for the issue and the experience that you described above. I am looking into the blackout issue for your area of Connecticut that you encountered with NHL Center Ice this week. Thanks for your patience.

Community Icon
Community Icon
Community Icon
I am a Comcast Employee.

Official Employee

ENGLND wrote:
Got even worse tonight I'm in Connecticut and NO Canadian teams were available to watch, the Canadiens were on NBC.

Apologies for the issue and the experience that you described above. I am looking into the blackout issue for your area of Connecticut that you encountered with NHL Center Ice this week. Thanks for your patience.

Community Icon
Community Icon
Community Icon
I am a Comcast Employee.

New Poster

Hello all, enter

I found a solution I was on the phone for an hour with Comcast tonight and a solution is if you're looking to watch a home broadcast of a specific team start typing that team's name into the search like you would for another Channel go to that teams page and scroll down and then click NHL Center Ice Beta HD and it will automatically tune to the team you want to watch his game.
New Poster

THANK YOU!!!!!!!
New Poster

Wow thank you I’m gonna try this tomorrow night with the Rangers Penguins game. If I have any more black out issues I’m canceling my package and just getting a Roku and downloading the NHL app - this is so dumb I wish I had just done this in the first place
Official Employee

ComcastTeds wrote:

ENGLND wrote:

Apologies all - as an update from our technical operations team in Denver, there were several afternoon games last Monday that were blacked out inappropriately in the Colorado, Boston, St. Louis and NY television markets. The blackout zones were coded in our system accurately, however, there was a technical issue that prevented these areas to get the corresponding "end blackout" trigger message at the end of the telecasts. 

As an initiative, our team recently programmed ‘"end blackout" events to include all of the areas that could have been affected last Monday. This "end blackout" trigger event was set up to send a message to all satellite receivers authorized for NHL Center Ice channels to return to the primary channels. That way if a satellite receiver was still tuned to the blackout channel, it will now receive the message to return to the proper home channel(s).

Apologies for the issue and thanks for your patience as the teams investigated. Please let me know if you continue to have this issue. 

Community Icon
Community Icon
Community Icon
I am a Comcast Employee.

Regular Visitor

Hey Ted, thanks for all the help in resolving this issue!

Regular Visitor

i live in Salt lake City., Utah a similar experience is now ongoing here.  channel 752 has been on steady "blackout in your area" for one week now. Does not matter what teams are involved or even if a game is on or not. 30 minutes of chat support was 30 minutes of explaining problem to a rock.  a visit to local Xfinity store proved fruitless other than confirm another customer was having the same issue.  I was told "Of course you will receive credit for the time." i laughed to myself knowing ONLY if i raise a stink will i see any credit.  any ideas what is up.  by the way NHL Beta $ucks, slow uploading and delayed broadcast by a few minutes.

Official Employee

Hi gussy626, I can look into this and make sure the blackout is warranted. Please send me a private message with your full name, street address, and account number by clicking on my name (ComcastAmir) and then "private message me".

Community Icon
Community Icon
Community Icon
I am a Comcast Employee.

Special Events
FIFA World Cup 2018 on Xfinity See More
Discussion stats
  • 30 replies
  • 5 kudos
  • 12 in conversation