members

online now

discussions

MLB Extra Innings

ANSWERED
Highlighted
Regular Visitor

MLB Extra Innings

Is Comcast going to offer MLB Extra Innings this year? I haven't seen any commercials about it.

Accepted Solution

Re: MLB Extra Innings

kmcclin wrote:

Is Comcast going to offer MLB Extra Innings this year? I haven't seen any commercials about it.

There is a free preview for MLB Extra Innings scheduled to take place Sunday, April 3 – Sunday April 10. This preview will be available to all digital subscribers. Typically, you are able to purchase this package once the free preview starts.

If you had the package last year, you are set to be automatically renewed at the Regular Season rate and charged a one-time fee or four monthly installments, based on the previous year's billing.

•One-time charge of $164.12 or
•Four monthly installments of $41.03

View answer in context
Frequent Visitor

Yes they are and it's 12.5% cheaper than 2015 because of recent lawsuit.
Regular Visitor

I received the MLB letter saying that, but I haven't seen any information regarding MLB Extra Innings on Comcast's end.

Frequent Visitor

I received a letter from Comcast. Because I told them I wanted auto renewal for Extea Innings I get an additional $10 off. If you didn't say that last year your cost will be $174. Unfortunately I think they're still the only cable provider not to offer the MLB.tv internet package free with their subscription plus they still won't have all channels in HD. Smiley Sad
Official Employee

kmcclin wrote:

There is a free preview for MLB Extra Innings scheduled to take place Sunday, April 3 – Sunday April 10. This preview will be available to all digital subscribers. Typically, you are able to purchase this package once the free preview starts.

If you had the package last year, you are set to be automatically renewed at the Regular Season rate and charged a one-time fee or four monthly installments, based on the previous year's billing.

•One-time charge of $164.12 or
•Four monthly installments of $41.03

Community Icon
I am an Official Comcast Employee.
Official Employees are from multiple teams within Comcast: Product, Support, Leadership.
We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit from the conversation.

Was your question answered? Mark it as an accepted solution!solution Icon
Community Icon
I am an Offical Comcast Employee.
Official Employees are from multiple teams within Comcast.
We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit.
Community Icon
I am a Comcast Employee.
Please post so people with similar questions may benefit.
Was your question answered?
Mark it as a solution!solution Icon
New Poster

The MLB letter states that the MLB packages will be offered as a total package for all of the games, and also be split out by team, in case a customer wants to buy the feed for just one team.   Is Comcast going to offer the "just one team" option?

Admin1

We will not be offering a single team packages. 

Community Icon
Official Employees are from multiple teams within Comcast: Product, Support, Leadership.
We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit from the conversation.

Community Icon
Community Icon
I am a Comcast Employee.
New Poster

Is Comcast going to have all games in HD for MLB Extra Innings, or is it still just going to have only 1 HD game a day?  Not worth the money if the games aren't in HD. 

Frequent Visitor

Waiting on this answer also Comcast. Also, an explanation as to why not if we're stuck with SD in 2016 when every other provider offers HD.
Regular Contributor

Will any HD channels be added for Garden State, NJ channel line up when this starts?

Admin1

Most areas will carry 2 HD channels that will offer up to 24 HD games each week throughout the season. Note: some areas will only have 1 HD channel while others do not have HD availability. 

Community Icon

Community Icon
Community Icon
I am a Comcast Employee.
Frequent Visitor

Still waiting on explanation as to why in 2016 all channels aren't in high def, especially since all other providers offer this.
Admin1

No provider is offering all games in HD. Our HD content is what we were able to get from the content provider.  

Community Icon

Community Icon
Community Icon
I am a Comcast Employee.
Contributor

Ooh, ComcastZach, that answer will not go over well.  A very quick search of Direct TV produced this line:  

• Up to 100 out-of-market games per week, with up to 99% in HD

Comcast is offering  up to 24 games per week in HD.  Plus, whether it's true or not I was told at a Comcast office, that comcast could offer MLB, NBA, NHL, etc all in HD, but that they didn't want to absorb the extra cost.  The bandwidth was available.  Now maybe the employee was misinformed, but the issue still remains that only 2 dedicated HD channels, at best, is woefully shameful.
Admin1

That add was from their 2015 season. It's 2016 now. This is their current add:

Catch up to 80 games a week, with up to 40 in HD*

With MLB EXTRA INNINGS® you'll be able to follow your favorite team from opening day to October no matter where you live. You'll enjoy:

• Up to 80 games a week — up to 40 in HD*
  • Game Mix — see up to eight games on one screen or select any one of them to see full screen

Community Icon

Community Icon
Community Icon
I am a Comcast Employee.
Contributor

Zing!  You got me, I didn't see that.  Very surprised to see the number of HD games go down!  Still overall surprising that with all games produced in HD, and with the price of these packages, that such a hi number of games are in SD, when the majority of TVs are HD now

Frequent Visitor

Will Comcast include the MLB.TV access with the MLB Extra Innings subscription? I see it listed on the InDemand website as well as offered on the Direct TV website, but no mention of it on the Comcast website.

Also, will Comcast be offering the Single Team option that is available through MLB.TV? (Never mind, I see in an earlier response that Comcast will not be offering the Single Team option).

Admin1

MLB Extra Innings will not include a subscription to MLB.TV this season nor will Comcast be offering a Single Team option. 

Community Icon

Community Icon
Community Icon
I am a Comcast Employee.
Frequent Visitor

Why would you not want to satisfy your customers by making available the same service - in this case, MBL TV and single team packages - that your competitors do. This strikes me as an  arrogant lack of interest on Comcast's part to better serve the needs and wishes of its subscribers or you're just plain cheap, inflexible, o don't care. Were I able to out of my contract or allowed to place a dish on my unit, I'd probably change providers to one who could  better serve my needs such as DirectTv appears to be doing at present. I however, happen to be a loyal consumer and unlike others don't keep switching providers every 2 years to receive better deals. Maybe in light of this information; I should.

New Poster

This needs to be shared with all of the customer service reps.  I called comcast twice in March to verify that the MLB.TV component was going to be offered this year with the Extra Innings package.  Both times I was put on hold, the CSR asked their manager and came back and verified that yes, that was being offered again.  I verified again when I called to add the extra innings to our package.  Again, I was told that yes it was.  So I signed up for the extra innings.  Jokes on me now, I guess.  I assumed the CSR's and managers knew what they were talking about.

Frequent Visitor

They're all clueless. MLB Extra Innings told me that Comcast would offer - said I just needed to call them to get access code.
New Poster

Let me know if this works out or not.

New Poster

Comcast has 2 HD MLB Channels. The statement that no other provider offers HD for every team is wrong. I had Direct TV and they not only carry every game in HD, but offer you the choice of team feeds. I just switched over from Direct TV and I'm extremely upset that the Extra Innings Package is so lame. I'm locked into a 2 year contract, but I was duped, big time. 

Frequent Visitor

You're lucky you get two HD channels. I'm apparently in one of those areas that it says in fine print on the program guide "HD not available in all areas" as I get no channels in HD.
Frequent Visitor

Hmmm... So my options are:

$162 for the season for Extra Innings on Comcast (No MLB.TV or MLB Strike Zone)

$174 for the season on Direct TV (includes MLB.TV and MLB Strike Zone), but I would have to switch providers and get a dish

$110 for the season on MLB.TV using my Roku box at home or anywhere on my iPad, with every game in full HD

$85 for the season on MLB.TV with the Single Team option

The interesting thing is that I've been watching this week during the Extra Innings Free Preview period and after every inning there is an ad for the Extra Innings package which states that the package includes MLB.TV. I realize these ads are placed in the feed by the provider InDemand, but it is interesting that the standard package for traditional cable and satellite distributors includes MLB.TV yet Comcast does not include it in their offering. It seems like Comcast would want to offer a more robust package as well as the Single Team option in order to better compete with the MLB.TV streaming service offered directly by MLB. Since I am really only looking at the service to get games from my favorite team (which is not in my home market), the choice for me seems clear. $85 for the season and I can watch the games anywhere my iPad can get a signal.

Admin1

JBH2727 -- DirecTV does not carry all games in HD either. I had posted this previously per their 2016 add:

Catch up to 80 games a week, with up to 40 in HD

With MLB EXTRA INNINGS® you'll be able to follow your favorite team from opening day to October no matter where you live. You'll enjoy:

• Up to 80 games a week — up to 40 in HD*
  • Game Mix — see up to eight games on one screen or select any one of them to see full screen

Community Icon

Community Icon
Community Icon
I am a Comcast Employee.
Visitor

MLB Extra Innings 2017

Does anyone know how much MLB Extra Innings will cost in 2017 and if it is available in all areas?

Official Employee

Re: MLB Extra Innings 2017

nro1111 wrote:

Does anyone know how much MLB Extra Innings will cost in 2017 and if it is available in all areas?

Pricing doesn't usually get released until February/March.

Community Icon

Community Icon
Community Icon
I am a Comcast Employee.
Problem Solver

Are there any plans to bring the additional HD feeds (Game 3 through 9) to Comcast markets or bring Game 1 and Game 2 HD to the areas that never had them for the 2017 season?

New Poster

I hope xfinity increases the number of HD channels this year.  That is the only negative about xfinity (the overall number of HD channels as compared to other service providers).  

Do what is right xfinity and open up more HD channels..........Thank you!!

New Poster

Hi. I just came to Comcast from Cablevision/Optimum.  Extra Innings on my Optimum service had 9 HD channels, and 5 SD.  If Comcast doesn't add more HD channels, i'll use MLB.TV instead. 

Problem Solver

And since Comcast doesn't bundle in complimentary mlb.tv with your Extra Innings purchase, you'll either have to pick, or pay for both.

Contributor

what is the difference between Extra Innings package and MLB TV?  If I get EI thru comcast, I only get the subscription thru the tv?  I can't watch on my phone / tablet / pc?

Problem Solver

Yup.  Only the TV.

New Poster

when in March? or I'll just go mlb tv
Frequent Visitor

Me too. I never thought optimum was good until I had something to compare it too. Would you agree the picture quality from optimum is better than comcast. I just moved into the philly market and I feel like my hd channels are SD channels. I still might get mlb through xfinity since it gives you both cable and mlb.tv but not if there are only 2 hd channels... I'd never watch it on the x1 box
New Poster

direct tv mlb extra innings is 100% HD had it for 5years 

Official Employee

You should see an announcement from us soon regarding MLB Extra Innings games available in HD on our X1 platform, some details below on what is already working for NHL Center Ice: 

http://forums.xfinity.com/t5/X1/NHL-Center-Ice-HD-Beta-Trial-X1/td-p/2875571

Community Icon

Community Icon
Community Icon
I am a Comcast Employee.
Frequent Visitor

Do you know how long the beta version will last?  Is it for the entire season?

Frequent Visitor

Another post says they are offering in HD if you have X1 and in a beta trial meaning it won't record, rewind or pause.  How do you get mlb.tv with Xfinity?  I have been subscriber to MLB Extra Innings for years and have never been able to get mlb.tv from Comcast.  In fact,they are the only cable provider that I am aware of that doesn't offer it with  Extra Innings.

PhilthyDimes wrote:
Me too. I never thought optimum was good until I had something to compare it too. Would you agree the picture quality from optimum is better than comcast. I just moved into the philly market and I feel like my hd channels are SD channels. I still might get mlb through xfinity since it gives you both cable and mlb.tv but not if there are only 2 hd channels... I'd never watch it on the x1 box

Official Employee

braves1 wrote:

Do you know how long the beta version will last?  Is it for the entire season?

For NHL Center Ice, yes, this is expected to be the "new normal" moving forward.

It is currently labeled "beta" because there are still multiple improvements scheduled for this.   

Community Icon

Community Icon
Community Icon
I am a Comcast Employee.
Frequent Visitor

Thank you. So now my real question is if we want to watch in high def, we won't be able to record, rewind or pause EVER?
Official Employee

braves1 wrote:
Thank you. So now my real question is if we want to watch in high def, we won't be able to record, rewind or pause EVER?

No, the expectation is that those features will eventually be available. Goal one was to quickly get all the the NHL Center Ice games on in HD nationwide on the X1 platform.

Other sports packages are expected to follow. Thanks for your patience. 

Below from the referenced page: 

During the trial, the following functionality will not be supported on the new NHL Center Ice HD channel:

•Recording
•Pause
•Rewind

This is a temporary experience for our customers. We are working on improving this experience and are working to provide this functionality in the near future.

Community Icon

Community Icon
Community Icon
I am a Comcast Employee.
Frequent Visitor

Last year I bought the MLB.TV single game package since it was half the price of the full package on Comcast, offered all the games I wanted in full HD on my main TV through my Roku box, and allowed me to stream the games outside the home on my iPad. Will Comcast offer the single game package for 2017? How about including the MLB.tv steaming? 

Another nice feature of the MLB.TV package was that the games were archived so I could watch games later if I could not catch them live. Plus, I could choose to start at any half-inning once the game began. Will the X1 platform be able to handle these features?

While I am asking questions, I would really like to be able to stream the MLB Network outside the home on the Xfinity Stream app on my iPad. Could you make that happen for me?

Problem Solver

Will these be physical channels or will they be streamed the way the English Premier League channels from NBCSN have?

Will other channels migrate to such a system? This to me would seem like a way to enhance picture quality and available offerings in HD without sacrificing the bandwidth needed for higher-speed internet services.

Regular Contributor

I would like further clarification on this...I order the extra innings package every year, but this is

my first year having  the X1 platform.   If I can't record or FF the games, I won't order it.  Would I at least have the option to record

in SD, or record in any other manner not part of the Beta test?

Contributor

I have Center Ice. If the MLB package is going to work the same way when they launch it, you will still have your dedicated SD channels as well as 1 or 2 (depending where you live) HD channels. You should still be able to record on those. I'm just happy they are recognizing the need for HD when it comes to the sport packages
Frequent Visitor

The pricing is absurd for SD content. Much wiser to subscribe to MLB.tv streaming service for $118 and get all games HD, choice of Home or Away feed, highlights, condensed games, etc.

I like X1 a lot. But, $164 for unwatchable SD games is laughable. Don't know whose fault it is. But, anyone who pays for a Season Package through y'all is throwing away their money.
New Poster

you can say that again. recently i had to leave DTV and return to Comcast. i am not happy about this because

MLB EI on Comcast is pathetic. limited number of games in HD. they should be be available in HD.

why are they still not all available in HD? the price is absurd for the opportunity to watch 90% of the games

in SD.

i really hope in 2017 there are some serious upgrades on Comcast w/MLB EI or I just won't sign up for the service.

Official Employee

tbill1 wrote:

I would like further clarification on this...I order the extra innings package every year, but this is

my first year having  the X1 platform.   If I can't record or FF the games, I won't order it.  Would I at least have the option to record

in SD, or record in any other manner not part of the Beta test?

MLB Extra Innings SD is not impacted by this new addition/functionality at all. Full functionality on any of the linear channels just as in the past.

HD games would all be additive with the current caveats I pointed out. 

Community Icon

Community Icon
Community Icon
I am a Comcast Employee.