Welcome to Comcast Help & Support Forums
Find solutions, share knowledge, and get answers from customers and experts

New to the Community? Start here.

5,681,869

members

21

online now

1,850,589

discussions

Back to Top

History of Comedy CNN

Posted by
Regular Contributor

Message 1 of 25
3,030 Views

I am trying to see episode 4 of CNN's History of Comedy. I set to record the original broadcast, but it was pre-empted by breaking news. I set it to record the next repeat, but I got Anderson Cooper 360 instead. Now it is shown on the guide as repeating tonight (3/4) at 7 Pacific time, and I set it to record. But under Scheduled Recordings, it shows episode 1. The guide still shows episode 4 at that time, but Zap2it also shows episode 1. Why does the guide show a different episode than Scheduled Recordings?

24 REPLIES
Posted by
Regular Contributor

Message 2 of 25
2,992 Views

So it turned out the Zap2it guide was correct, Xfinity was wrong. So the free service got it right, the one I pay a lot of money for was wrong. Now zap2it says the episode I want to watch shows next on March 9, Xfinity says it is on March 11. I'll bet the free service gets it right again. 

Posted by
Silver Problem Solver

Message 3 of 25
2,983 Views

I had the same issue. I'm guessing CNN had a last-second schedule change. Maybe episode 4 will actually air March 9 and just shift the series out one week. I did notice the Saturday repeat had changed it's description to the generic one and not the specific episode.

Posted by
Silver Problem Solver

Message 4 of 25
2,974 Views

Just checked, and it looks like I was right. Zap2It shows episode 4 will air March 9. On my non-X1 cable box, it changed to 'To Be Announced', so it's in the middle of updating. The online guide still shows episode 5.

 

Posted by
Regular Contributor

Message 5 of 25
2,581 Views

andyross wrote:

Just checked, and it looks like I was right. Zap2It shows episode 4 will air March 9. On my non-X1 cable box, it changed to 'To Be Announced', so it's in the middle of updating. The online guide still shows episode 5.

 


Haven't noticed any updates on this.  The fault on this one is CNN's, not Comcast's or Zap2It's.  Episode 4 of "History Of Comedy" has been pre-empted by CNN three or four times now because of what THEY consider "important" or "breaking news" (which is the same nonsense they've been playing all day that day).  No idea when they'll finally continue the series -- it seems they can't spare one hour a week for it and give the D.C. stupidity a rest.  CNN advertises "History Of Comedy" all the time, then pre-empts it at the last minute.  If you check CNN's Facebook or Twitter, you'll see other complaints about it.

Posted by
Silver Problem Solver

Message 6 of 25
2,548 Views

CNN needs to do some statistics and find out which night is least like to have a 'political scandal', then move the series to that night.

Posted by
Regular Contributor

Message 7 of 25
2,524 Views

It seems the "breaking news" CNN keeps preempting History of Comedy for is the same news they have already been reporting for several hours. And it looks like if they don't show the new episode at its original scheduled time, they won't show it at any of the rerun times. They also don't stream full episodes from their web site. If they are going to wait until there is no more news about the current presidential administration, we may never get to see the rest of the series.

Posted by
Regular Contributor

Message 8 of 25
2,494 Views

swanda wrote:

It seems the "breaking news" CNN keeps preempting History of Comedy for is the same news they have already been reporting for several hours. And it looks like if they don't show the new episode at its original scheduled time, they won't show it at any of the rerun times. They also don't stream full episodes from their web site. If they are going to wait until there is no more news about the current presidential administration, we may never get to see the rest of the series.


The thing that gets me is that they run TWO HOURS of Don Lemon, which should be on at 11 after "History Of Comedy". Then rerun all this bull later on. And all this after advertising that "HoC" will be on at its regular time.

Posted by
Silver Problem Solver

Message 9 of 25
2,451 Views
Posted by
Regular Contributor

Message 10 of 25
2,375 Views
CNN has done this before (United Shades of America) never experienced this much incompetence with any other network to this extent before. Someone there needs to get fired!
Posted by
Regular Contributor

Message 11 of 25
2,356 Views

andyross wrote:

Complain to CNN:

http://www.cnn.com/feedback/


Been there, done that.

Posted by
Contributor

Message 12 of 25
2,352 Views
L O L. Just lol. I saw that Episode 4 was scheduled to do a repeat this early morning at 1AM. Well it looks like CNN removed that episode yet again and replaced it with another show which my DVR recorded.

I'm tired of them doing this. I know this isn't a Comcast / Xfinity issue.

But CNN is playing way to many games and I'm starting to think they are doing this intentionally now.

They tout this awesome original CNN series with TV ads plastered daily about it.

Then they tease those that set their DVRs or those that watch the show live with the first few episodes. And then they quickly do the bait and switch to substitute the History Of Comedy episodes for their other political news shows which then tricks my DVR to record those instead of the actual History Of Comedy episode.

Not sure if they are doing to gain DVR viewings for their other shows or not.

But I tell you what if the next episode doesn't air as scheduled I will definitely be cancelling my scheduled recording for this TV show and watch the episodes On Demand whenever they become available.
Posted by
Regular Contributor

Message 13 of 25
2,346 Views

bruistopher wrote:
L O L. Just lol. I saw that Episode 4 was scheduled to do a repeat this early morning at 1AM. Well it looks like CNN removed that episode yet again and replaced it with another show which my DVR recorded.

I'm tired of them doing this. I know this isn't a Comcast / Xfinity issue.

But CNN is playing way to many games and I'm starting to think they are doing this intentionally now.

They tout this awesome original CNN series with TV ads plastered daily about it.

Then they tease those that set their DVRs or those that watch the show live with the first few episodes. And then they quickly do the bait and switch to substitute the History Of Comedy episodes for their other political news shows which then tricks my DVR to record those instead of the actual History Of Comedy episode.

Not sure if they are doing to gain DVR viewings for their other shows or not.

But I tell you what if the next episode doesn't air as scheduled I will definitely be cancelling my scheduled recording for this TV show and watch the episodes On Demand whenever they become available.

I don't think they're putting them on OnDemand until after they've actually aired. IF they ever air. The first three were on OnDemand; only two are on there now (the 2nd and 3rd episodes, I think). Next Thursday evenings listing on Zap2It has Episode 5 listed, but that may update later in the week to Episode 4 since that was pre-empted yet again. I think there are also a Facebook and/or Twitter pages for "History Of Comedy" (I don't do FB or Tw). Mention of all these pre-emptions may be on there, too.

Posted by
Regular Contributor

Message 14 of 25
2,173 Views

According to Zap2It's listings, tomorrow night's "History Of Comedy" won't be on -- just two hours of Don Lemon. Comcast's on-screen guide says "HoC" will be on, but gives only a general description, not the specific episode. So, who knows when we'll get to see any more of it.

Posted by
Regular Contributor

Message 15 of 25
2,128 Views

I guess CNN has just abandoned this series. Now both Comcast and Zap2it show no broadcasts in the next 2 weeks.

Posted by
Silver Problem Solver

Message 16 of 25
2,117 Views

I doubt they will abandon it. Most likely they will reschedule it. My best bet is Sunday night after the two religious-oriented shows end their seasons.

Posted by
Service Expert

Message 17 of 25
2,033 Views

Post Removed from the Forums for Circumventing the Language Filters. If you need to review the Forum Guidelines, these can be seen at this link: http://forums.xfinity.com/t5/Forum-Community/Forums-Policy-and-Guidelines/td-p/2618379

Posted by
Regular Contributor

Message 18 of 25
1,152 Views

According to CNN they will air "all new episodes returning this summer."  Which probably means they'll try again then.

 

They're starting a new series tonight, which made me think of this show again and how it just faded into the distance, like a Judy Winslow, or Steve Rhoades...

 

All the episodes were ready to go and the ratings for the first few were really good so it's not abandoned but they really dropped the ball on releasing this one.

Posted by
Silver Problem Solver

Message 19 of 25
1,130 Views

The way the state of politics is going these days, it's sort of useless for a news channel to try and do anything other than news! Maybe they should move it to a sister channel. TBS would be the perfect fit as it's mostly comedy programming.

Posted by
Regular Contributor

Message 20 of 25
1,123 Views

persephone1983 wrote:

According to CNN they will air "all new episodes returning this summer."  Which probably means they'll try again then.

 

They're starting a new series tonight, which made me think of this show again and how it just faded into the distance, like a Judy Winslow, or Steve Rhoades...

 

All the episodes were ready to go and the ratings for the first few were really good so it's not abandoned but they really dropped the ball on releasing this one.


Thank you for this information. The thing that gets me is that they seem to be able to run the other series they have without pre-empting them for their latest "breaking news".  Why not this one?  We need a bit of TRUE humor as a relief from the circus we're getting now!

Posted by
Regular Contributor

Message 21 of 25
1,122 Views

andyross wrote:

The way the state of politics is going these days, it's sort of useless for a news channel to try and do anything other than news! Maybe they should move it to a sister channel. TBS would be the perfect fit as it's mostly comedy programming.


True -- and anymore it's certainly not "breaking news", just a daily, day-long continuation of the D.C. nonsense going on.

Posted by
Silver Problem Solver

Message 22 of 25
715 Views
Just saw an ad on CNN that "History of Comedy" will return on July 16.
Posted by
Regular Contributor

Message 23 of 25
690 Views

andyross wrote:
Just saw an ad on CNN that "History of Comedy" will return on July 16.

I saw that this morning, too, but appreciate the heads up.  Why this series ended up being pre-empted so much when other series on CNN were NOT, despite the continuous, repetitious "breaking news", I have no idea.  It seems to me that we needed a break from all the D.C. horrors.  I hope the series gets to run this time.  I liked what little aired earlier in the year.

Posted by
Silver Problem Solver

Message 24 of 25
415 Views

A warning that although it's marked as "New", the July 16 episode is not being picked up as a series recording on my non-X1 box. I had to manually mark it to record.

Posted by
Regular Contributor

Message 25 of 25
403 Views

The first two episodes that actually did get to air months ago are now on CNN OnDemand.

 

Very funny ad for "History Of Comedy" on CNN -- Don Lemon trying to do his news show, Sean Hayes interfering. When Lemon asks, "What are you doing?", Hayes answers, "I'm pre-empting you. Just like you did to us over and over and over again." Let's hope they make a better effort this time to hold off on un-"breaking news" and let the series play!