Welcome to Xfinity Help & Support Forums
Find solutions, share knowledge, and get answers from customers and experts

New to the Community? Start here.

members

topics

HD Basic Network Service Limited to a Single Choice

Contributor

HD Basic Network Service Limited to a Single Choice

I assume Comcast made a deal with two local stations to carry their programming in HD--and to carry stations from other cities (with the same programming) in SD. To use one example: One of these local stations carries ABC, Fox, and CBS in HD, but the network stations in other cities (such as Washington, DC) are not in HD. This matters for several reasons: The station I mentioned is amateurish--they run info like school closings constantly during programming and distort ("squash") the regular program to make room on the screen for both info and the show. This is very distracting and is totally unnecessary as other, more professionally run stations do not do it--they adjust the screen so that both items appear in normal proportions. Another reason the HD/SD situation matters is that the second of the local stations preempts NBC programming for local sports. I can hardly believe that NBC allows stations to preempt shows like "This Is Us," but they do. If I have set my DVR to record an NBC show that is preempted, then that show is not recorded. If Comcast carried more network stations in HD, I could make a choice as to which one to watch and not be restricted to local stations that clearly don't have knowledgeable technical staff. I have complained to the two stations in question, with no results--not even a reply. I realize Comcast can do as it pleases in deciding which stations to carry in HD, but this deal seems a little questionable as it severely limits subscribers' rights to watch a decent picture and get the network programming they want.

Forums Tips and Tricks:
Tagging Posts... See More
Discussion stats
  • 0 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 1 in conversation