Welcome to Comcast Help & Support Forums
Find solutions, share knowledge, and get answers from customers and experts

New to the Community? Start here.

members

online now

discussions

Emergency Alert System Nationwide Test (EAS)

ANSWERED
Highlighted
Administrator
Administrator

Emergency Alert System Nationwide Test (EAS)

On Wednesday, September 27, 2017 at 2:20 p.m. (Eastern Daylight Time), The Federal Emergency Management Agency (FEMA), in coordination with the Federal Communications Commission (FCC), will conduct a mandatory nationwide test of the Emergency Alert System (EAS).

The nationwide test is required for all broadcast, cable and satellite companies and is intended to allow the FCC and FEMA to determine how well the nationwide EAS works and what, if any, improvements may be necessary. The test message will clearly state that it is a test and should last approximately one minute. The alert will be transmitted in English and Spanish and include both audio and the text of the test message.

If your regular programming does not resume as normal, please unplug the power from the TV box for 20 seconds and then plug it back in. If this does not resolve the issue, please message us on Twitter/Facebook @ComcastCares, chat with us online for assistance, or call us at 1-800-Comcast.

FAQs

How does an EAS test affect the customer's viewing experience once complete?

Customers watching live TV at the time of an EAS test will continue to pick up their program in progress once the test has concluded.

All non-live (XFINITY On Demand or DVR) content or X1 Internet apps (Netflix, Watchable, Pandora) in use at the time of an Emergency Alert System (EAS) test will now be tuned to live content at the conclusion of the test; however, the program's info page will be displayed with a resume point, so that the customer may continue the program or relaunch the app at any time.

Community Icon
I am an Official Comcast Employee.
Official Employees are from multiple teams within Comcast: Product, Support, Leadership.
We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit from the conversation.
Was your question answered? Please mark the Best Answer!solution Icon
Community Icon
Official Employees are from multiple teams within Comcast.
Please post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit.
Was your question answered? Mark the Best Answer!solution Icon
Community Icon
I am a Comcast Employee.
Please post so people with similar questions may benefit.
Was your question answered?
Mark the Best Answer!solution Icon
Accepted Solution

Re: Emergency Alert System Nationwide Test (EAS)

At this time the EAS test that was performed at 2:20PM EDT on Sept 27,2017 has completed.

If your regular programming has not resume as normal, please unplug the power from the TV box for 20 seconds and then plug it back in. If this does not resolve the issue, please message us on Twitter/Facebook @ComcastCares, chat with us online for assistance, or call us at 1-800-Comcast.

View answer in context
New Poster

I'm assuming you mean Eastern Daylight Time.

I know, picky picky. Smiley Wink

Administrator
Administrator

MGeerdes wrote:

I'm assuming you mean Eastern Daylight Time.

I know, picky picky. Smiley Wink

Good catch! It got fixed Smiley Happy 

Community Icon
Official Employees are from multiple teams within Comcast: Product, Support, Leadership.
We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit from the conversation.
Was your question answered? Mark it as an accepted solution!solution Icon
Community Icon
I am an Offical Comcast Employee.
We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit.
Community Icon
I am a Comcast Employee.
Mark it as a solution!solution Icon
Administrator
Administrator

At this time the EAS test that was performed at 2:20PM EDT on Sept 27,2017 has completed.

If your regular programming has not resume as normal, please unplug the power from the TV box for 20 seconds and then plug it back in. If this does not resolve the issue, please message us on Twitter/Facebook @ComcastCares, chat with us online for assistance, or call us at 1-800-Comcast.

Community Icon
Community Icon
I am an Offical Comcast Employee.
We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit.
Community Icon
I am a Comcast Employee.
Mark it as a solution!solution Icon