Welcome to Comcast Help & Support Forums
You can contribute an answer or post a question.
Highlighted
Posted by
Regular Contributor
  • Congratulations on receiving your first Kudos! Thank you for your meaningful contribution to the forum. May this be the first of many kudos.
  • On your way! Congrats on Posting 10 topics!

EAS overload

OK I know the emergency alert system is needed ..

But today alone I have received 3 tests alerts, if every local channel does its required monthly test at different times, I have a feeling people are not even going to pay attention to this crying wolf signal...............

Southern NM part of Denver market.

Posted by
Regular Contributor
  • Congratulations on receiving your first Kudos! Thank you for your meaningful contribution to the forum. May this be the first of many kudos.
  • Great Job! Your reply has been accepted. Thank you for helping and Congrats on your 1st Solution.

Re: EAS overload

I'm so tired of the EAS bungling in my area (Chicago). Weekly tests, monthly tests - all the same. Twice in December the stupid thing went off at 1:30 a.m. and 6:30 a.m on the same days. It is way too loud and disconcerting in the middle of the night. Once a month testing would be enough. Meanwhile, we visited our son who has Direct TV for 10 days, and not once did we undergo this frustration. I'm really ready to switch, for this and other reasons.
Posted by
Regular Contributor
  • Great Job! Your reply has been accepted. Thank you for helping and Congrats on your 1st Solution.

[ Edited ]

Once again, there is someone in control who needs to learn the meaning of "weekly" and "monthly" and that they are not to be confused with "daily," nor most especially "hourly."  I've had five tests in the last 24 hours and I am sick of the interruptions.

It seems there are people working for Comcast who see the system as an opportunity to have fun at the expense of customers. I really can see no other reason for these tests to happen this frequently.

Edited to add: We have had DAILY tests for over two weeks at this point, and often more than once daily.

Posted by
Official Employee

[ Edited ]

renata wrote:

Once again, there is someone in control who needs to learn the meaning of "weekly" and "monthly" and that they are not to be confused with "daily," nor most especially "hourly."  I've had five tests in the last 24 hours and I am sick of the interruptions.

It seems there are people working for Comcast who see the system as an opportunity to have fun at the expense of customers. I really can see no other reason for these tests to happen this frequently.

The FCC mandates that traditional video providers provide EAS alerts and EAS tests to all customers. City, county, state and other civil authorities can also trigger an EAS alert without any manual intervention from Comcast, by design.     

Some links below for background:

Wikipedia: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Emergency_Alert_System

There are required weekly and monthly tests. Most of the tests are automated and randomized.

a) EAS Participants shall conduct tests at regular intervals, as specified in paragraphs (a)(1) and (a)(2) of this section. Additional tests may be performed anytime. EAS activations and special tests may be performed in lieu of required tests as specified in paragraph (a)(4) of this section

Tons of detail at the link below on what is federally required:

http://www.ecfr.gov/cgi-bin/text-idx?c=ecfr&sid=75127c72007aa6a3f1ce8fda8cb814e2&rgn=div5&view=text&...

More info at the FCC link below (including how to file an on-line complaint with the FCC)

http://www.fcc.gov/guides/emergency-alert-system-eas

Posted by
Regular Contributor

Thanks for your detailed response. It's informative, but I'm sorry, there is no way any of this can justify the DAILY tests we are still undergoing for the last month and a half, and yes, often more than once daily. Certainly there are not that many "authorities" out there to trigger this sort of harrassment. I see they can trigger "alerts." These are NOT alerts! These are just endless tests!

Posted by
Official Employee

renata wrote:

Thanks for your detailed response. It's informative, but I'm sorry, there is no way any of this can justify the DAILY tests we are still undergoing for the last month and a half, and yes, often more than once daily. Certainly there are not that many "authorities" out there to trigger this sort of harrassment. I see they can trigger "alerts." These are NOT alerts! These are just endless tests!

Apologies again. I have an inquiry in to our Chicago area team on this now. Thanks for the update and thanks for your patience.   

Advanced
You must be signed in to add attachments