New to the Community? Start here.

members

online now

discussions

Clear QAM and Limited Basic

Posted by
Contributor

Message 51 of 101

Comcast just sent me notice that they are going all digital and that set top boxes will be required for even the limited basic tier -- channels 2-30. This isn't about whether or not you have an HD turner built into your TV or an external HD converter box. This means that you can no longer get any channels through your coaxial cable even if you have a built int HD converter. For now on, or rather from Jan 15th forward (in my metro market), set top boxes will be required for all tiers of service -- even limited basic.

Posted by
Gold Problem Solver

Message 52 of 101

jj97403 wrote: Comcast just sent me notice that they are going all digital and that set top boxes will be required for even the limited basic tier ...

"Digital" does not automatically mean "encrypted". My market went all-digital 18 months ago, but Limited Basic is still in clear QAM (although they will encrypt it eventually).

Posted by
Frequent Visitor
  • You have posted 5 replies to the community. Thank you for keeping the conversations going!
  • Thank you contributor for your first reply to the community!
 Posting replies is the best way to get involved.
  • Congratulations on receiving your first Kudos! Thank you for your meaningful contribution to the forum. May this be the first of many kudos.

Message 53 of 101

Received the same letter. i've bought a 10 RCA antennae and receive all the same channels, only exceptions being TBS and CNN, but I honestly don't care much for those anyway. I'm going to look at centurylink for internet and get off comcast completely.

Posted by
Visitor

Message 54 of 101

I'm in Portland as well (got the scary paper stating the switch is coming December 15th).  The paper is corporate form letter that has a disclaimer at the bottom saying limited basic channels don't require a box if the customer has a QAM tuner, unless the area is getting encrypted.  Lovely...would it be so hard to send specific letters that were based upon the customer's service level and area?  Simple database query into mail merge...

Anyway...

After an hour of bouncing between people, no one could still answer the simple question of

"Is Comcast in Portland going to remove analog service, or are they also going to start encrypting channels 1-31?"

They never would answer the distinction and just kept going back to the script of "you'll probably need a DTA, but we'll give you one for $1.99". 

I think I'll play the sit and wait unless I find any info.  On December 15th if I have no TV, cancel Comcast TV, cancel Comcast internet, get cheaper internet, and buy an antenna (2 day amazon shipping, yay!) and say goodbye. 

Posted by
Gold Problem Solver

Message 55 of 101

wolverinero79 wrote: ... are they also going to start encrypting channels 1-31?" ...

The FCC requires cable companies to notify customers at least 30 days before encrypting Limited Basic. The format of that notification is very clear and specific. If the form letter is all they've sent so far, then Limited Basic will still be unencrypted -- for now.

Posted by
Contributor

Message 56 of 101

I've just reread my Comcast letter after reading these posts. My letter states the switch will be Jan 15th.

It also states "you may need set-top box for channles 2-31," and in the fine print at the bottom states "QAM tuner TV's will continue to recieve Limited Basic without a set-top box unless encrypted."

So based on what others are posting in this thread I think Limited Basic will still be available for channels 2-31 without a set-top box until I get a 30 day notice that those channels will be encrypted.

I'd caution anybody from switching to Centurylink for internet simply out of frustration with Comcast over this issue. I have had my fair share of troubles with Centurylink internet. I made the switch to Centurylini internet last June and I've had to return 3 modems. There is no service center to drop them off at and it is kind of a pain managing and keeping in order all the RMA numbers, shipping boxes,  and shipping labels. Keep your receipts, tracking numbers, and proof of delivery just in case Centurylink claims they have no record receiving your modem. (Luckily I did).

Posted by
Contributor

Message 57 of 101

Thanks to BruceW above who kindly pointed out that "going all digital" is not the same thing as "encrypting the signal."

I didn't understand this distinction until reading BruceW's post.

Posted by
Contributor

Message 58 of 101

This morning all my basic cable channels were showing up as scrambled.

A call to Comcast got the usual gobbly goob about that they "don't guarantee anything if I don't use a DTA".

Clearly the customer service rep was clueless and did not what was actually going on in the company.

I didn't get a 30 days notice.

Posted by
Frequent Visitor

Message 59 of 101

Comcast is robo-phoning customers in the Portland (OR) area with the message that a cable box may soon be needed to continue to receive Limited Basic cable. It's really not clear if my 2 QAM-tuner TVs will need boxes or not... and after reading these posts don't think I'll bother to call Comcast about it. Wait and see seems to be the best strategy. Maybe it's time to try out that antenna I bought some time back. I'm sure not excited to have to manage another remote. And how's my 80+ year-old father supposed to adapt?

Posted by
Bronze Problem Solver

Message 60 of 101

You probably should call Comcast and ask them if they are going to encrypt Local/Basic tier in your area.  Putting up a digital antenna for local stations is a good idea, when I did that, I noticed that the channels came in a lot better than they did as analog channels, and more reliable than the Comcast cable..

Posted by
Contributor

Message 61 of 101

I wrote too soon.

The channels weren't scrambled, but Comcast re-arranged the channels again.

I don't know what the technical term is for that.

I had to re-scan the channels .

Posted by
Contributor

Message 62 of 101

It will be interesting to see if they comply will the 30 days notice requirement if and when they encrypt 2-31. If it is in fact the law, then I bet they will. Scrambling channels, whether intentional or not, is kind of a de facto way to "encrypt without encrypting" since most customers probably wouldn't know how to rescan. 

Many comments above how customer reps are left in the dark. In my humble opinion, I think telephone customer reps can be the last to know since they are at the bottom of the "corporate" food chain.

Posted by
Regular Visitor

Message 63 of 101

Same thing happened to me. Without announcement I lost a bunch of basic HD channels that I had been accessing directly through my QAM equipped DTV. I complained to Comcast, the reps all said the same thing, use the box. I said no. I tried rescanning and couldn't find the channels. Then they sent a technician out who found nothing wrong and said use the box. A few days later I rescanned and found them up in the triple digits.

Posted by
Visitor

Message 64 of 101

Now they left a door flyer that says this:

"Don't lose your channels.  We need to install an adapter to your T.V.s due to our upgrade.  Please make an appointment or go to the service center"

I called Comcast (big mistake).  The person clearly didn't have English as their first language, so we started off with difficulty.  Here's my call:

Me:  "I got a notice on my door that said [basically what the note said].  I need 2 small pieces of info.  Are you removing analog service or are you encrypting channels 1-31...your limited basic channels?"

Phone person: "Hello sir, can I get your name please"

<I give name, phone number (which you enter into the automated system), address>

Phone person: "Thank you sir, now how can I help"

Me: <I repeat the thing>

Phone person: "You need a digital box to continue to receive service"

Me:  "Ok, I understand.  Can you please answer if the analog service is being removed or if limited basic channels are being encrypted?"

Phone person: "Let me check on that, sir"

5 minutes later...

Phone person: "Yes, analog channels will be removed"

Me:  "Ok, thank you.  Now can you answer if channels 1-31 will be encrypted?"

Phone person: "Let me check on that, sir"

5 minutes later

Phone person: "Alright, if you want channel 131, you will need to get *some package with details on the package*.  Would you like me to upgrade your service today, sir?"

Me: "I'm not asking to change my service.  I'd like to know if limited basic channels are being encrypted?"

Phone person: "Channel 161?"

Me: "Can I talk to someone technical, please?"

Phone person: "Yes, one moment, sir"

After 10 minutes on hold, I hang up....Comcast sucks.  Maybe if they do encrypt on the 14th, it'll be a blessing in disguise.  Their internet support people are so much better - I wonder why they lowball the bids for hiring people for the TV support.  Going to try online support.  Maybe use shorter words. 

Posted by
Visitor

Message 65 of 101

Mary: Hello Robert, Thank you for contacting Comcast Live Chat Support. My name is Mary. Please give me one moment to review your information.

Robert: My Issue: I got a notice on my door warning me to not lose channels and I need an adapter for my TV. I need to know the answer to this question: Are you encrypting limited basic channels in my area (channels 1-31)?

Mary:  We are proud of our Customer Guarantee, which includes being here for you, 24/7! To learn more, you may check on this site: http://www.comcast.com/corporate/Customers/CustomerGuarantee.html?fss=customer

Mary: You have reached the right department. I am here to help you with your Comcast concerns specifically with the letter you received regarding having adapters and digital migration..Let me go ahead and review your account and provide you the right information.

Robert: thank you

Mary: You are most welcome

Mary: Let me just pull up your account now. I do see here that you took the time to fill out the account information before you got me on chat, thank you for that. For further security, please do provide me with the Complete First and Last name listed on the account / bill .

Robert: <REMOVED>

Mary:  Excellent! Thank you very much for providing me with the information.

Mary: Let me check on my resources so that I can provide you with the right information. Would you mind waiting for 2-3 minutes while I check on my resources, Robert?

Robert: that will be fine

Mary: Thanks!

Mary: While waiting, let me share with you one of our free services-- My Account (formerly known as Comcast CustomerCentral). You will not only be able to view and pay your bill online but you can also check Service Health Status for outages in all lines of services. Service Appointment Management is also available in My Account where you may reschedule or cancel appointments ( except installation appointment ). You can also view more information about your current products and services

Mary: Thank you for patiently waiting.

Robert: No problem

Mary: Comcast is continuing to enhance its network to an all-digital distribution to offer its customers more HD, faster Internet and a free digital upgrade to new products and services. We have already started this upgrade across many markets with the “World of More” initiative, by moving the Expanded Basic (B2) channel lineup from an analog to an all-digital format. This initiative allowed Comcast to upgrade Expanded Basic channel to digital-only delivery and brought significant benefits to our customers including increased HD programming, up to 100+ HD channels in markets that have completed the Expanded Basic (B2) channel migration to digital.

Mary: Comcast is transitioning its remaining analog Limited Basic Cable* channel lineup to digital a digital signal. This will mean that equipment will be required for TVs connected to Comcast service. These changes will allow Comcast to offer even more HD content, additional special interest channels, and faster internet speeds.

Robert: Changing from analog to digital isn't the question I have, unfortunately. I understand that transition. Specifically, after the shift to an all digital signal, will you be encrypting the limited basic channels

Mary: Yes, Robert. Comcast is now transitioning its remaining analog Limited Basic Cable* channel lineup to a digital signal. This will mean that equipment will be required for ALL TVs connected to Comcast service. These changes will allow Comcast to offer even more HD content, and faster internet speeds.

Robert: Transitioning from analog to digital does NOT mean that channels will be encrypted. It's a specific clarification. I understand that the analog signal will be removed. Can you specifically state that the channels 1-31 will be encrypted after the move?

Robert: Removal of analog provides you guys the ability to put more digital content through the line due to the extra bandwidth. I understand that. But encryption provides the customer no benefit. If you are encrypting the channels, it has an impact on people with digital QAM tuners, where as just removing analog does not. That's the necessary clarification.

Mary: I see your point, Robert.

Mary: Most TVs connected directly to Comcast service without a digital device such as a digital set top box, DTA or CableCARD™ will lose access to all channels it currently receives. The exceptions to this are televisions with a digital QAM tuner, which will be able to view the Limited Basic and over-the-air broadcast HD channels without equipment.

Robert: Is that true of my area specifically? I've found that exact text on the Comcast website already, but it has stated that it may be different per area

Mary: You are correct, Robert as this still varies per market/ area. So far, we dont have any updates yet if your area will require an equipment even if you already have a digital QAM tuner. Best that I can advise you is to check our website for the migration at www.comcast.com/digitalnow for updates.

Posted by
Visitor
  • You have posted 5 replies to the community. Thank you for keeping the conversations going!

Message 66 of 101

Had a similar issue recently.  But got the one rare CSR who knew what she was talking about. Said to rescan and if needed unplug the TV for a bit since some TVs are buggy at updating their memories of the channels scanned.

The CSR told me before she ended the call she is an electronics nerd and likes to play with stuff with that and wished the company would fill the other CSRs in of that method.

Posted by
Regular Visitor
  • Congratulations on receiving your first Kudos! Thank you for your meaningful contribution to the forum. May this be the first of many kudos.

Message 67 of 101

How much is Clear QAM if you only have HSI?

When is Clear QAM signal going to be scrambled?

Posted by
Bronze Problem Solver

Message 68 of 101

chong67 wrote:

How much is Clear QAM if you only have HSI?

When is Clear QAM signal going to be scrambled?

Limited Basic is on the Comcast Cable as Clear QAM (in most cases,  there are several(?) locations where Comcast is encrypting Limited Basic, but they won't tell us where).  They may indeed be planning on encrypting more locations, but again, they won't tell us about it.

Posted by
Visitor

Message 69 of 101

Where can I get a listing of the clear QAM channel lineup for Portland Comcast?  I read elsewhere that Comcast does not publish this but perhaps some kind soul has complied this?  

Notice by mail was received 30+ days at sure enough on Dec 11 the analog channels 2-31 went dark (actually there's a red screen that says you need to get a DTA).  The over-the-air channels seem to be located as expected - for example analog channel 6 can be found at 6-1.  But other channels like Cspan, Community Access, Shopping, etc. seem to be randomly located with bizarre xx-yy dashed channel numbers that don't correlate to the analog 2 to 31.

Posted by
Silver Problem Solver

Message 70 of 101

Don't know how up to date this will be, heard it was not be updated but it may help.

http://www.silicondust.com/support/channels/

Posted by
Frequent Visitor

Message 71 of 101

As of 12-14-12 it seems to be happening in Lake Oswego. Or not; it's weird. My neighbor up the street can suddenly only get 10-1 & 10-2. Everything else in his Limited Basic lineup is black. I live 2 doors down; I still get all my digital Limited Basic channels. Analog channels show the "go get an adadapter" message. Comcast says my 88-year-old fixed-income neighbor has to rent a cable box for $1.99 per month.

Posted by
Frequent Visitor

Message 72 of 101

Hmmmmm BUT (finally reading post above), he may be able to just re-scan with his TV and find those lost channels again. That would tend to fit with the fact that  his favorite channels (PBS) are still working on his TV. Thanks Recardos!

Posted by
Regular Visitor

Message 73 of 101

Lost WBZ TV 4.1 on QAM tuner this weekend (Monday AM on Dec 17th) . Comcast says that they no longer care about users with QAM tuners and will not fix the problem.

I am in Walpole, NH. Just spotted a Comcast repairman on the street and he said that we are on the Putney, VT headend.

I did the channel reset procedure on three TVs with different manufacturers tuners and they all lost WBZ. When I tune 4.1 , I get channel 56 CW. When I tune 56.1, the screen is blank.

We also lost NH PT HD 11.1 and 38.1 HD.

Two other neighbors have the same situation.

A second customer rep told me to get a cablecard and sent me to Brattleboro, Vermont. I drove to the address but no Comcast office is there and according to neighbors Comcast has not been there for years. Also two of my three HDTVs will not accept cablecards.

Is this part of the FCC ruling to allow Comcast to scramble the broadcast channels?

thanks for any help.

Posted by
Regular Visitor

Message 74 of 101

Why is the FCC and government on Comcast side?

Posted by
Gold Problem Solver

Message 75 of 101

chong67 wrote: Why is the FCC and government on Comcast side?

Several former FCC Commissioners have become senior executives at Comcast and at cable industry groups. I'll leave it up to you to decide how that might have come about.

Posted by
Regular Visitor

Message 76 of 101

I see.  So money can buy anything.  This is SAD!  I hope for the breakup of something like ATT.

Posted by
Visitor

Message 77 of 101

As an update for Portland - it was just the loss of analog, not encryption of basic.  So I lose discovery, but I keep my HD local channels. 

I don't have much long term hope for this, though, as the FCC DID approve encryption of basic channels, as long as the provider is digital only.  So I assume Comcast is going digital only in part to be able to fully encrypt in the future.  At that point, I'll definitely disconnect - and I'm sure Comcast won't miss my $12 a month. 

Posted by
Contributor

Message 78 of 101

I am afraid you are right. It is a matter of time.

Unfortunately, I don't have another choice except for FIOS and that is expensive too.

Too far away from TV towers for regular antenna to work.

Posted by
Visitor
Message 79 of 101

this thread was the number 1 result for a google search of "comcast qam channel list chicago" so i'll just leave this here

after looking everywhere trying to tune my windows media center tuner i figured out the wintv software was much more sensitive and after many painful hours i was able to map all of the OTA channels coming down the pipe from comcast. I have left off the spanish channels a bunch of infomercial channels and some other brick a brack. then i could use the "add missing channel" function of WMC to build the guide. unfortunately for you i neglected to note which are modulated in qam64 or in qam256. i remember almost all were 256 but i'm not doing it again until they randomly change the map again. hope this helps someone out there.

QAM channel map, Comcast, Niles IL near NW suburbs Chicago, IL
1/27/13 huappauge hvr-1255 tuner

channel name OTA channel
116.1 cbs hd 2.1
117.5 nbc hd 5.1
117.6 cozitv 5.2
29.1 wlshd 7.1
29.3 livwell 7.2
29.2 wgnhd 9.1
29.6 antenna 9.2
116.2 wttw hd 11.1
116.6 wttw prime 11.2
116.3 wttw create 11.3
35.5 wycc hd 20.1
35.7 mhz 20.3
65.3 metv 23.1
21.14 bounce 23.2
49.20 kbc 24.5
65.1 wciu hd theU 26.1
65.4 u too 26.2
65.5 metoo 26.4
65.6 this 26.5
117.2 wfld hd fox 32.1
35.1 ion 38.1
65.2 WPWR 50.1

54.4 lakeshore ?
36.26 q87.7fm ?
32.103 rt news ?

Posted by
Visitor
Message 80 of 101

Comcast has an official statement regarding the change that the FCC has implemented and what they plan on doing about it as far as the QAM tuners, basic service and the digital boxes are concerned. You can read the pending changes here... ->> The Comcast Digital Mitigration (as of Jan 2013)

Personally, I would like to be a "cord cutter' but I need the internet and it seems that keeping basic cable ALONG with the internet service is actually cheaper. I was hoping that I didn't have to pay for any "digital" boxes but I'm a day late and a dollar short because the days of QAM tuners are numbered. But the good news is that manufacturers of roku and boxee boxes will hopefully be given the keys to having tuners built in to get scrambled signals, since the cable will be a "live" cable because we subscribe to the internet service, that will let us be TRUE cord cutters. The FCC ruling is bad for us but it does have at least one or two good things that will help.

For more info in the FCC ruling in October... click here (Huffington Post) or here (CNet)

Posted by
Contributor

Message 81 of 101

That release is a little confusing. I am connected straight to the wall and my TV has a digital QAM tuner. I also only have Limited Basic cable, so I *think* I should be okay.

Posted by
Frequent Visitor

Message 82 of 101

djbooks wrote:

Personally, I would like to be a "cord cutter' but I need the internet and it seems that keeping basic cable ALONG with the internet service is actually cheaper.

With the upcoming bill increase, here it costs almost $9 MORE for both services than just HSI alone.  Time for me to cut limited basic if they won't negotiate.

Posted by
Contributor

Message 83 of 101

Try logging into your account online.

I just switched to Economy Plus internet for $29.99/month by calling the 800 number and paid a $1.99 fee for this "priviledge".

Supposedly, I can get Performance internet for $24.99/month for six months but with $9.95 fee online.

I am reluctant to change again because I am afraid of Comcast messing up the billing.

When I tried this, the only way to sign up for it was with a Live Chat, and the id*t reps always don't listen and want me to buy the bundles. Thanks but no thanks.

Why should I need to live chat????  Just process the order.

Posted by
Bronze Problem Solver

Message 84 of 101

If the computer screws up Comcast has to eat it.  If a person screws up either them or you didn't understand what is happening.

Posted by
Contributor

Message 85 of 101

I don't understand what you mean.

This is clearly an attempt by Comcast of dragging their feet. You are forced to "chat" with a rep so they can stall you on what you really want.

Posted by
Frequent Visitor

Message 86 of 101

That's not the same thing as the FCC ruling in October that grants Comcast the ability to encrypt channels that once had to be clear QAM.  They did all digital migration in my area about a year ago.  That mostly entails Comcast switching all TV to digital, not nessecarily all TV to digital and encrypted. I mean "necessarily", in that expanded basic will definitely be encrypted.

Btw, if you have basic clear QAM now, and you lose (especially just a few channels) even after the re-scan, they probably left a trap on your line.  It's going to be like pulling teeth to get a technician out there to remove it, since they'll insist your problem is a lack of receiver, but that's what your issue will likely be...

Posted by
Visitor

Message 87 of 101
I find your post interesting because I pay $9.95 per month (was 8.99 per month. but Comcast just raised the price!) for an HD box, and my local HD channels ABC, WGN are all pixeled and not viewable when using channels 187 for ABC and 192 for WGN in the Northern suburbs of Illinois. So I am paying for these HD channels but they are really not viewable because of the pixeling, had comcast out, but they could not properly fix this problem. Also ABC is broadcasting at 720p and not 1080i. We use some of the other HD Channels, so we have't cancelled our HD Service yet, but I can't help but think we are getting Ripped off by Comcast somehow.
Posted by
Cable Expert

Message 88 of 101

dalbrig

There is no reason that Comcast can't fix your HD issues. Try these options to get your RF signal issue fixed.

Also, WLS ABC and WFLD Fox only broadcast in 720P, that is what they chose when the HD broadcasts came out.  You would receive the same 720P using a antenna for over the air.

Community Icon
I am not a Comcast employee, I am a paying customer just like you!
I am an XFINITY Forum Expert and I am here to help. For information on the program click here.
We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit from the conversation.

Was your question answered? Mark it as an accepted solution!solution Icon
Community Icon
I am not a Comcast employee. I am a paying customer just like you!
I am an XFINITY Forum Expert and I am here to help.
We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit.

Community Icon
I am not a Comcast employee.

Was your question answered?
Mark it as a solution!solution Icon

Posted by
Visitor

Message 89 of 101

BruceW wrote:

chong67 wrote: Why is the FCC and government on Comcast side?

Several former FCC Commissioners have become senior executives at Comcast and at cable industry groups. I'll leave it up to you to decide how that might have come about.

Indeed, in much the same way that Goldman Sachs currently has a number of people working as government regulators. Heck, Goldman was one of Obama's major campaign contributors.

It's called the 'revolving door' and when upper management flips between government regulators and the businesses they regulate we all lose.

http://my.firedoglake.com/fflambeau/2010/04/27/a-list-of-goldman-sachs-people-in-the-obama-governmen...

Posted by
Visitor

Message 90 of 101

Had a Technician out three times.  If he tuned it to be clear on channel 7 some of our other

key HD channels get pixeled.  There was never a good solution to my problem.  We also

had our house newley rewired by comcast when we moved in, so I am pretty convinced it is

the WGN and ABC weak signals.

Posted by
Cable Expert

Message 91 of 101

Did you send a email as I advised, so Comcast can send out someone that knows how to fix it.

Community Icon
I am not a Comcast employee, I am a paying customer just like you!
I am an XFINITY Forum Expert and I am here to help. For information on the program click here.
We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit from the conversation.

Community Icon
I am not a Comcast employee. I am a paying customer just like you!
I am an XFINITY Forum Expert and I am here to help.
We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit.

Community Icon
I am not a Comcast employee.

Was your question answered?
Mark it as a solution!solution Icon

Posted by
Regular Contributor

Message 92 of 101

djbooks wrote:

Personally, I would like to be a "cord cutter' but I need the internet and it seems that keeping basic cable ALONG with the internet service is actually cheaper.

This may not be true.  Almost 2 years ago now, I cut off all TV and kept internet.  I know it seems like a no-brainer -- keep Limited Basic for $12 or your internet bill goes up $15.  In fact - 2 months after I did it, a co-worker did the similar thing - however he kept Limited Basic.

We found out while comparing bills that I still had the cheaper monthly bill because of the other items on the bill that people forget about.  The franchise fee .. the FCC TV tax ... etc.  These items were not on my bill anymore -- but are on his because of the TV component.

We're not talking a great amount of difference, of course, but still (depending on the franchise fees in your area) a cheaper monthly bill even with the non-bundled rate.

Posted by
Gold Problem Solver

Message 93 of 101

eherberg2 wrote: ... a cheaper monthly bill even with the non-bundled rate.

Also true in central PA. According to the latest price sheet, the largest discount Comcast offers for Internet+TV is $15, while the cheapest TV plan is $21.99. Even before taxes and fees, you lose.

Posted by
Visitor

Message 94 of 101

Why should I bother .... like I have said,  I have had Comcast out (three) times already ... without a solution.

I would rather live with it, than be aggravated further by their lack of knowledge.  I have avoided at this point, because I don't want Comcast to now charge me for a service call !!

We need more good providers to choose from other than the big 2 we have now.  

Posted by
Visitor

Message 95 of 101

The good news (at least for me) is that even with ClearQAM service turned off I'm not totally out of luck. You can either buy a tuner with cable-card support and rent one for $10/mo. (assuming you're using a HTPC), rent a Comcast DVR, or drop the cord and add an antenna, I chose the latter.

$70 worth of antenna later (DB4e) I'm getting several more channels than I got on ClearQAM even with an absolutely terrible location. Ground floor of a multi-story cement building surrounded by other multi-story buildings = terrible. 

The Comcast DVR box is nice and all, but compared to even my cheap ($300) HTPC it's garbage. I lose my on-demand but I gain hundreds of hours of recording time + integration with netflix, hulu plus, amazon, etc and lose the rental fees.

Posted by
Regular Contributor

Message 96 of 101

Valka wrote:

The good news (at least for me) is that even with ClearQAM service turned off I'm not totally out of luck. You can either buy a tuner with cable-card support and rent one for $10/mo. (assuming you're using a HTPC), rent a Comcast DVR, or drop the cord and add an antenna, I chose the latter.

$70 worth of antenna later (DB4e) I'm getting several more channels than I got on ClearQAM even with an absolutely terrible location. Ground floor of a multi-story cement building surrounded by other multi-story buildings = terrible. 

The Comcast DVR box is nice and all, but compared to even my cheap ($300) HTPC it's garbage. I lose my on-demand but I gain hundreds of hours of recording time + integration with netflix, hulu plus, amazon, etc and lose the rental fees.

Good to know that the Antennas Direct DB4 works well in a poor reception location.  For those who are dissatisfied with what their local Comcast provides, over-the-air reception is definitely worth a try.

Posted by
Visitor

Message 97 of 101

August 2013.  Re using Windows Media Center with Comcast Limited Basic...re-mapping the Clear QAM channels manually (with help from the channel map on the SiliconDust website http://www.silicondust.com/support/channels/ ) does work when Comcast is simply moving the channels around.

However, once Comcast starts encrypting your region's Limited Basic channels (even the free over-the-air ones!), re-mapping will not work. You will have to get the DTA.  And then you will find a long string of (useless!!) Comcast tech people and various websites telling you it's impossible to continue watching cable TV through your computer on Windows Media Center. I will save you the frustrating tech calls and online searching...the following two sets of instructions will guide you through it. Why these two pages don't appear at the top of Google's search list is beyond me!

1) I found this one the most helpful for connecting all the various pieces of equipment  http://comcastmidwest.com/how-to-guides/setup-dta-with-windows-media-center/  Note: If you don't already have the same kind of two-piece type of IR (infrared) doohickey as pictured, you will need to get one (about $10).

2) This one was helpful regarding a strange twist required to redo your Windows Media Center TV signal setup after connecting the DTA. http://blogs.msmvps.com/connectedhome/tips-tricks-how-tos/comcast-dta-mce-setup-steps/  (See steps 11-13) The gist is that you must use the Comcast remote for part of the setup, but once you've finished those couple steps, you can go back to using your Windows remote and toss the Comcast remote in a drawer somewhere.

Both of these webpages reference the older DTA that was not able to get HD, but the same process works with the new HD-compatible DTA. 

Posted by
Visitor

Message 98 of 101

Cablecard is the way to go, it's $1.50 a month in our area.  Run NPVR with a Hauppauge DCR-2650 for the cablecard (limited basic), XMBC for all the other stuff, and PlayOn for everything they miss.  Fun hobby, too!

Posted by
Visitor

Message 99 of 101

OK I understood what they did now, but my question is this- Can we get them back legally, complains to some government institution or something?

Posted by
Visitor

Message 100 of 101

Just saw the FCC article. This is a big piece of S. How is this possible? How is this a free country? Basiccaly you can no more say "NO" when the ask you to bend over, now they say you have to and the law says you have to. This is redicilous.