Find solutions, share knowledge, and get answers from customers and experts

New to the Community? Start here.

members

topics

Channels being dropped from several tiers

Highlighted
Silver Problem Solver

Channels being dropped from several tiers

Saw this in my latest bill in the Chicago area. I assume it will probably be nationwide:

Effective May 10, 2018, the following channels will no longer be available on our Digital
Economy TV service: Disney Channel, Cartoon Network and Food Network. These channels
will be available on our Digital Starter service. Effective May 10th, 2018, Disney Jr, Disney
XD, ESPNU, ESPN News, NFL Network, Nick Jr, Nick Toons and Teen Nick will no longer be
included in Xfinity Instant TV.

New Poster

Re: Channels being dropped from several tiers

So, is the Big Ten network being removed from the Chicago area lineup? Apparently it is in south Florida!

Frequent Visitor

Just received my bill and South Florida, Naples specifically, will no longer carry those channels on May 10 for Digital Economy. 

I watch the Food Network daily, now what? I have a 12 month contract with low rate so I can't change now. 

Time to subscibe to HULU! My goodness Comcast, you just keep PUSHING us to the subscriber services. For $10 I will get Hulu with no commercials and watch my Food Network. 

This is rediculous! Another good service (Comcast TV) going down the tubes. The Digital Economy TV is already so slim I watch like 3 channels and if I want a movie I use my Roku box. Comcast has forced us to use alternate methods to view TV because they keep hiking prices. In Naples the average bill is almost $200 a month. I got mine down below $100 and that is enough! <Edited for violating forum guidelines: "Inflammatory">

Regular Visitor

We live in the San Francisco Bay Area and have been Comcast Cable TV/Phone/Internet customers since November 2012.  We had the service for a few weeks starting in November 2012 and were promised 80 channels by the Comcast online rep, telling us we had Digital Starter service.  Then about 2 weeks into the service, we started to get "you are not authorized" messages for use of 25 out of the 80 channels we were supposed to be getting.  We contacted Comcast via their online chat feature, and had a conversation about this on January 20, 2013 (an online chat with a rep named Michael) and Michael apologized profusely to us for the mixup, but then said there was nothing he could do, that it was Comcast's mistake and that we were subscribers of the Digital Economy package, not the Digital Starter Service the initial Comcast representative said that we were agreeing to/signing up for.  No attempt was ever made at making any of this right.  When we initially signed up for this bundled service, we were told that we were subscribing to Comcast’s Digital Starter service.  After hearing of, and reading online about, <Edited for violating forum guidelines: "Inflammatory">, none of this surprises us.  Today, April 17, 2018 we get a "Dear Valued Customer" letter in the mail informing us that as of May 10, 2018, our Digital Economy service will discontinue carrying the Disney Channel, Cartoon Network, Tru TV, Weather Channel and Food Network.  I wouldn't even attempt to call customer service, as they are USELESS to resolve issues.  All they do is keep apologizing but do NOTHING to remedy the situation.  All the apologies in the world with no attempt at helping customers is no help at all. 

It is unfortunate in this day and age, that we find ourselves dealing with a company which obviously holds a monopoly in our area, but lacks the integrity to do what is right.  We are responsible customers who pay our monthly Comcast bills.   

Official Employee

Hi gcwohltmann, this is not the experience that we want for you. Please send me a private message with your full name, street address, and account number by clicking on my name (ComcastAmir) and then "private message me" and we can look into some other options. 

Community Icon
I am an Official Comcast Employee.
Official Employees are from multiple teams within Comcast: Product, Support, Leadership.
We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit from the conversation.
Was your question answered? Mark a Best Answer!solution Icon
Community Icon
I am an Offical Comcast Employee.
Official Employees are from multiple teams within Comcast.
We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit.
Community Icon
I am a Comcast Employee.
Please post so people with similar questions may benefit.
Was your question answered?
Mark a Best Answer!solution Icon

New Poster

@ComcastAmir can you help me also?  We just got off the phone with Comcast support and were told our favorite channel, Food Network, has been dropped from the Digital Economy package. I don't understand how this can be good business! I get the Food Network is a popular channel, but how about rewarding loyal customers instead of<Edited for violating forum guidelines: "Inflammatory">? I signed up with a contract that promised certain channels and now - poof! - they're gone.  If this were fair - I could just decide to pay Comcast $10 less every month whenever I felt like it....  My afternoon will be investigating ways to ditch Comcast if we don't get our channels back.  I'll post what I find to the group so I can help others.

Frequent Visitor

I called yesterday. Comcasts excuse is the Networks decide what is in their packages, <Edited for violating forum guidelines: "Inflammatory">

I was in a contract and found you can switch to another contract with no penalty. So I downgraded to Limited Basic with the fast Blast Internet 100MB and they gave me Starz for 1 year. My bill with an HD box is now $65 plus tax. So I went and added Hulu with no commercials for $13 with tax and I already have Nextflix. Now I am still under $100 with more channels.

Shame on you Comcast, now I get to watch Food Network with no commercials.

Comcast you just lost more business on this. Removing the Food Network was the final blow. And I'm selling my stock.

New Poster

Yep, the same happened to me. I am very unhappy that Food Network was dropped, so last night I called and we tried to switch things around so I could get Food Network back. I currently have the Internet Pro Plus package which includes HBO. That was the perfect package for me because it had all the channels I wanted and watched. If I would have switched it to their new line of channel packaging, it would have been 5-7 dollars more, but then I would have had to add on HBO for an additional $15! Essentially, for me to have exactly what I have now it would have been $24 more a month with all taxes and fees included. There are a lot of things I can do with that $24 a month, and over the remainder of my 18 months I am stuck in this contract, that adds up! Please Comcast, stop screwing your loyal customers over. 

Official Employee

pmcgowen wrote: @ComcastAmir can you help me also?  We just got off the phone with Comcast support and were told our favorite channel, Food Network, has been dropped from the Digital Economy package. I don't understand how this can be good business! I get the Food Network is a popular channel, but how about rewarding loyal customers instead of<Edited for violating forum guidelines: "Inflammatory">? I signed up with a contract that promised certain channels and now - poof! - they're gone.  If this were fair - I could just decide to pay Comcast $10 less every month whenever I felt like it....  My afternoon will be investigating ways to ditch Comcast if we don't get our channels back.  I'll post what I find to the group so I can help others.

Thank you for reaching out regarding this concern, I replied to your private message. Please reach back out to me there and we can get this issue addressed. 

Community Icon
Official Employees are from multiple teams within Comcast: Product, Support, Leadership.
We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit from the conversation.
Community Icon
Community Icon
I am a Comcast Employee.

Frequent Visitor

I'm in the same boat. <Edited for violating forum guidelines: "Personal Information"> A chat agent is telling me I was informed I was losing Food Network in my March bill.  Well, guess what, I wasn't a customer in March so when I signed up in April I had no idea I would immediately lose the channel.  Totally unacceptable!  What can be done abou this?

Official Employee

rrmills7777 wrote: I'm in the same boat.  <Edited for violating forum guidelines: "Inflammatory">  A chat agent is telling me I was informed I was losing Food Network in my March bill.  Well, guess what, I wasn't a customer in March so when I signed up in April I had no idea I would immediately lose the channel.  Totally unacceptable!  What can be done abou this?

Hello all, I understand your desire to add content that you enjoy watching in your area. We do listen to customer feedback. For more information on this topic, follow this link: https://customer.xfinity.com/help-and-support/cable-tv/channel-availability-faqs/?. The support page also includes a link to our Customer Feedback Form where you can request channels that you would like to have added to our lineup. If for any reason the link does not work for you, I suggest copying and pasting it into the address bar of your preferred browser.

Community Icon
Community Icon
Community Icon
I am a Comcast Employee.

Frequent Visitor

I'm not suggesting the channel be added - it was in my package when I signed up ~2 weeks ago and now it's not!  How can I get this channel back?

Official Employee

rrmills7777 wrote: I'm not suggesting the channel be added - it was in my package when I signed up ~2 weeks ago and now it's not!  How can I get this channel back?

The only way to obtain this channel is to subscribe to the current TV tier of service that it is on which is our Digital Preferred tier. In your contract it does outline that we can change your channel line up without notice, please look on the final page of your contract for more information about this policy.

Community Icon
Community Icon
Community Icon
I am a Comcast Employee.

Frequent Visitor

OK, you can change our lineups without notice and I can choose to cancel your service without notice.  Seriously, I never would have signed up for this without that channel and it was taken away from me after ~2 weeks of service.  <Edited for violating forum guidelines: "Inflammatory">  but after this and the debacale I went through to get a functional CableCard for my Tivo, I can totally sympathize. Thankfully there is competetion in my area, FIOS here I come.

New Poster

Disney channel was also removed. The Disney channel was the only reason I signed up with my current xfinity package. Now they removed it and they said I need to pay extra $20 on my monthly bill to get disney channel back. Well, I won't. Time to switch to another provider.

Contributor

@ComcastAmir "Hello all, I understand your desire to add content that you enjoy watching in your area. We do listen to customer feedback. For more information on this topic, follow this link: https://customer.xfinity.com/help-and-support/cable-tv/channel-availability-faqs/?. The support page also includes a link to our Customer Feedback Form where you can request channels that you would like to have added to our lineup. If for any reason the link does not work for you, I suggest copying and pasting it into the address bar of your preferred browser."

Um - no, our desire is to KEEP the channels we were already paying for. We don't want to ADD channels or LOSE channels for no reason.

Frequent Visitor

Ha, they actually censored my post for saying something along the lines of "now i get why everybody hates on comcast".

@rrmills7777
Contributor

I went to my Comcast account page to click on "Manage Plans" to try to change my tier and/or see what else was available, but that's not even working. lol

Instead, they have a customer service phone # to call that you have to wait on hold forever to reach someone.

So, in addition to losing channels, we can't even change our channel lineup or tier online at the moment. This is very bad service, Comcast.

Oh, it also still shows the channels they just took away from us under the "View My Channel Lineup" link, so they are clearly not on the ball today with their own service. I hope they aren't still advertising those channels to new customers - that would be false advertising.

Frequent Visitor

My wife informed me yesterday that Food Network and the Disney channel both were no longer working, so I contacted technical support today to ask for help and was informed that we lost those channels plus cartoon network.

I rarely watched any of these, so it's not a big deal to me, however my wife is a food network fanatic. I can understand if those channels suddenly demanded that comcast pay a higher licensing fee to show them, and them being removed for this reason, but this is just an even bigger reason why Comcast needs to start offering a la carte programming where customers can pick and choose which channels they watch. I don't watch sports, I don't watch any of the "news" channels that are in our package, so why am I forced to have to take those channels in a bundle? Out of the 100 channels we get in our digital economy package, we watch maybe 10 to 15 channels on a regular basis not counting the channels that we can get over the air using the OTA TV antenna that we already have installed at our house. At this point my wife and I are considering just dropping our cable TV package and switching to a slower tier of cable internet instead of the blast level and offsetting not having cable TV with a subscription to Sling.TV and Hulu to go along with amazon prime which we already have.

Contributor

I'm looking at Sling TV or Playstation VuE as replacements for Comcast TV.

BTW - Playstation VuE has a 14-day free trial, which we're going to check out before making any decisions. Not sure if Sling hasa trial or not?

Both are compatible across many deivces and come with DVR options.

How much does Comcast hike up the Internet Fee if you drop Comcast Cable TV altogther and just keep Performance Internet? I'm paying $61 a month now with Cable TV and Cable Internet, but I think they hike it up if you drop TV. Just not sure how much.

Frequent Visitor

I'd be dropping down to performance starter package which is 49.99 a month if you aren't in a promotional deal with them. If I had any other options besides uverse I'd consider just completely switching, but I definitely won't be switching to uverse.

New Poster

@ComcastAmir  I'm in the same boat. I've been a loyal customer of Comcast and when I signed the contract I was told that these are the channels I'll be getting and now they are dropping them. The Food channel is what we watch most along with NBC sports and now they dropped them and I'm ending up paying $100+ for cable bill and not get the basic channels I signed up for. This is unacceaptble. I am going to research and sign up for Hulu+Netflix and nbc gold and I'm sure I'll pay less than what I am currently paying comcast. This is not how you treat your loyal customers comcast.

Frequent Visitor

Invest in a fire stick or similar item and look in to Apple, Amazon Prime, Hulu etc. Even Direct Tv has a skinny bundle. Xfinity doesn’t deserve anymore business.
Frequent Visitor

Unbelievable that the people in rigid contracts that have termination fees are dealing with this too. I have a month to month leave anytime package but pay 10 more a month so essentially paying “termination” fee even if I don’t terminate to penalize me for not wanting to be manipulated in to paying more money. I am searching for new internet and fire stick Hulu etc since this company is greedy and will continue to pull these tricks. Greed equates to never satisfied and always wanting more. This also equates to ruthless and customers are just paychecks.
Frequent Visitor

You can’t. Legally all Comcast has to do is offer you a certain amount that is equal to what they take. So if there were a network with a man pooping on rocks 24/7 they could replace that with ANYTHING they feel will force people into upgrading. Sad they are using children’s favorites to maniluapte their customers.
Frequent Visitor

@Nataliejane17 wrote:
Unbelievable that the people in rigid contracts that have termination fees are dealing with this too. I have a month to month leave anytime package but pay 10 more a month so essentially paying “termination” fee even if I don’t terminate to penalize me for not wanting to be manipulated in to paying more money. I am searching for new internet and fire stick Hulu etc since this company is greedy and will continue to pull these tricks. Greed equates to never satisfied and always wanting more. This also equates to ruthless and customers are just paychecks.

unfortunately for me, it'll be at least a year since I just went through the retentions department and got a new deal to get me to keep my cable tv package, so I think I would have a ETF if I cancelled my package. I've already got a Roku stick I can use as I got one a year or so back for free when I tried sling's service out.

Frequent Visitor

For anyone in a CONTRACT, you can switch your plan options with no penalty, I did it the other day. I downgraded to the lowest TV option and kept my Blast 100MB internet which in my area is $55 plus tax. You have to call to make this happen.

Regular Contributor

Check out www.philo.com
For $16 a month you get Food Network, HGTV, Travel Channel, AMC & BBC America and a dozen more channels.
The service is great. I have been using it since I cancelled Comcast.
New Poster

It is definitely an abuse. I saw some people received a communication, we did not. And of course they did not shared that when they signed me up for 2 years a couple of months ago. Yesterday I reached out to "Customer Service" (like they would have one), and the guy even said..."I have good news for you!!!!...you can upgrade for $100 and have those channels". Can you believe that!!! They treat customers like they are stupid. I am looking forward to move and go to Fios.I wonder how they can sleep at night, no business ethic at all.

New Poster

As far as internet costs...I guess it depends on what C.S.R. you get. We have several people in the same town that were quoted between $55.00 and $105.00 for only internet. Why isn't it one price across the area?? Wonder if they make commission?
Service Expert

@Patti10 wrote:
As far as internet costs...I guess it depends on what C.S.R. you get. We have several people in the same town that were quoted between $55.00 and $105.00 for only internet. Why isn't it one price across the area?? Wonder if they make commission?

Probably not for the same speeds.

Community Icon
I am not a Comcast employee, I am a paying customer just like you!
I am an XFINITY Forum Expert and I am here to help. For information on the program click here.
Community Icon
I am not a Comcast employee. I am a paying customer just like you!
I am an XFINITY Forum Expert and I am here to help.
Community Icon
I am not a Comcast employee.

Mark an Answer!solution Icon

Frequent Visitor

What a caring response from the Comcast representative.  We can change the contract/channel line up at any time.  WOW - just WOW.

Frequent Visitor

Same thing happened to us!  We ordered the cheapest package so that our 19 month old granddaughter could watch her favorite show "Mickey Mouse Clubhouse" on the Disney Channel.  Less than 3 weeks into a one-year contract, The Disney Channel is removed from the channel line up and we were told the only way we could get it was to pay an additional $10 - $20 per month (or we could return the equipment and cancel the service).  We chose the latter!

Frequent Visitor

Well they were still signing people up for a tier that supposedly carried The Disney Channel as of April 17th (when we signed up).  On May 9th, Disney Channel was no longer available

Official Employee

Hello Eavila, I can assist you with changing your current TV package. Please send me a private message with your account information and we can get started on finding a new deal for your services. 

Community Icon
Community Icon
Community Icon
I am a Comcast Employee.

New Poster

Just learned we lost TNT, Cartoon Network, HGTV, and ESPN in Maryland. All channels we previously paid for! I plan on cancelling soon. It is crazy to me that they can just drop channels, what if I just decided to only pay half my bill one month?!
Frequent Visitor

Amir,

I think the whole point of this forum topic is to express the fact that comcast shouldn't have removed these channels. I know when I had to downgrade my package a year or so back to the digital economy package I lost quite a few channels that I watch, but I was aware that my decision do this to save money was going to cause it to happen. Comcast didn't give us that choice, instead comcast chose to do this (without passing any kind of savings on to the customer), and now all we get is a "Oh, lets see what kind of deal we can give you to get you to upgrade to the level package that has these channels". I hope that this decision causes a huge backlash from other customers who decide that enough is enough and their decision is to completely drop cable TV service. I know I am seriously considering this choice, and have already been researching how much it would cost me overall to drop my cable TV package, and drop to a lower tier of cable internet service so I can afford to keep it and the unlimited data bundle (which again comcast really needs to rethink forcing their arbitrary data limits or get rid of), and then just go with sling or one of the other streaming TV providers. I just hope and pray that our area gets hooked up to the new fiber optic backbone loop that they are running for North Georgia so I can finally cancel all of my services with comcast.

New Poster

Good job Xfinity.  I will be moving back to Verizon Fios.  Sick and tired of these cable companies raising prices and trying to make us always have to pay for extra services.  So disappointed in this company manipulation.  So basically I not paying over $100 for channels I do not even watch.  

Official Employee

Hi All, 

I understand you all are frustrated about the recent channel line up changes. I understand that and apologize for the inconvenience. If you are interested in getting missing channels back, please send me a private message. 

KenF

Community Icon
Community Icon
Community Icon
I am a Comcast Employee.

Regular Visitor

All Comcast reps ever do is apologize and then do nothing, and continue to do nothing but apologize without providing service their customers pay for and agreed upon when signing up with Comcast.  We don't need apologies.  We need service and a business that values us as customers.  Comcast's business model of shaking down customers in order to extract higher fees, by continuing to eliminate channels customers originally signed up to receive, is despicable.

New Poster

This is an egregious error on Comcast's part, by taking away the channels I use the most (Espn, the food network, Cartoon Network, even MASN - a local channel!) they have effectively ensured that I will be moving to a new service. I am now paying for cable that doesn't have a single channel I actually have interest in watching, because they saw fit to dismantle a package that I chose specifically for, you know, the channels it included. It is absolutely absurd that the employees in this thread are suggesting that customers now need to pay more money for channels that they specifically paid for in the first place.
Regular Visitor

I completely agree with you.  I responded to someone who said he was a Comcast employee and that Comcast retains the right to do switch up the channels they have offered.  I said in my initial response that all Comcast employees do is apologize over and over, without any effort on their part to satisfy their customers.  So he apologized profusely again, but then said basically, "too bad for you and we can do whatever we want".  We pay enough for this meager service, and will be looking elsewhere for an ISP, cable TV and voice.  The only reason I can think of for Comcast doing this, is that they can.

New Poster

I just noticed the food network and Disney channels are missing. When I called Comcast customer service, they told me they are adjusting the program list, dropping off a few and add some. So I asked what were added. The rep told me 'NOTHING'. This is so frustrating!

New Poster

I had and am having the same expeience and agree with you. I signed a contract that I can't get out of without penalty until 2019 and the channels, FoodNetwork and Tru TV are no longer available. There are probably others but I haven't noticed yet. I called for assistance and was offered several update options that required another 2 year contract. Doesn't feel right or fair. I too am trying to figure out alternatives. Not happy at all @comcastAmir.
New Poster

I am in the same boat.  My kids told me that they can no longer watch Disney or the Cartoon Network.  I had also heard that BTN was being dropped in my area.  It is strange becuse my bill did not refelect loss of services.  So I phoned Xfinity and they informed me that I could sign up for new service for price "X".  I asked the gentleman on the phone if I was to sign up for this new deal that Xfinity would not just drop all channels.  He said there was no way to know that.  I asked him why I would sign up for something that, according to him might not be there 3 months from then.  He put me on hold and then told me to call a deparment that was currently not open.  

New Poster

I was mad at first because they took food network and cartoon network. Now a week later they have taken the Opera Network, the Id channel, oxygen, and those are the only channels I watch... but the bill is still over 100 dollars a month!! Comcast is seriously getting over on us. I will never pay more than I already do for cable they are tripping!!!!!!! But hey that's what corporations do they are driven by greed and power. We all need to leave Comcast!!!
New Poster

I signed up on may 10th or 11th of 2018....They did NOT inform me of this change.....When I signed up on the PHONE, after checking the economy lineup included all of our wanted channels, for $59.99, for the double play with Internet, (i had to lower my linespeed from 150 to 100 to get the bundle) I also signed up for the home security at the same time, we had our service installed on the 15th and the guy, while very courtious, most likely didn't realize or now to tell me that they changed my selected service package's contents BEFORE IT WAS EVEN INSTALLED...I called up comcast and was told of this problem....Would've been nice to been told "in a few days, we'll be removing channels from the bundle you are signing up for RIGHT NOW...." also had to pay 10 bucks more to get those channels back...We had been "grandfathered" in with the economy package and they wouldn';t even switch us over to the now current standard package at the promised price....ROBBERY!Makking us pay omore for what we were promised int he very beginning

Frequent Visitor

@canablis wrote:

I signed up on may 10th or 11th of 2018....They did NOT inform me of this change.....When I signed up on the PHONE, after checking the economy lineup included all of our wanted channels, for $59.99, for the double play with Internet, (i had to lower my linespeed from 150 to 100 to get the bundle) I also signed up for the home security at the same time, we had our service installed on the 15th and the guy, while very courtious, most likely didn't realize or now to tell me that they changed my selected service package's contents BEFORE IT WAS EVEN INSTALLED...I called up comcast and was told of this problem....Would've been nice to been told "in a few days, we'll be removing channels from the bundle you are signing up for RIGHT NOW...." also had to pay 10 bucks more to get those channels back...We had been "grandfathered" in with the economy package and they wouldn';t even switch us over to the now current standard package at the promised price....ROBBERY!Makking us pay omore for what we were promised int he very beginning

OMG - your story is even worse than mine.  You signed up AFTER the channel lineup change and still got "fleeced" for extra money to get what you ordered.  The more stories I read, the more disgusted I get.  I have been a loyal Comcast customer for 30+ years, never offered any "special packages" after first signing up.  All special packages are reserved for new customers only.  How about rewarding loyal, long-term, pay-your-bill-on-time customers?????  Bet Comcast never thought of that.  They better watch out because I know (myself included) there are many unhappy customers looking for alternatives and there seems to be quite a few out there finally.

Forums Tips and Tricks:
Tagging Posts... See More
Discussion stats