New to the Community? Start here.

members

online now

discussions

Channel Lineup "New Channels 1000 - 1999"

Posted by
Visitor
Message 51 of 73

Thanks for nothing Xfinity. Major lineup change with no advanced notice, and then you screw your competitors (think Tivo) by not providing the info to them in advance so that they can update their guides. Nice way to tick off your customers.

Posted by
Frequent Visitor
  • You have posted 5 replies to the community. Thank you for keeping the conversations going!
  • Thank you contributor for your first reply to the community!
 Posting replies is the best way to get involved.
  • Congrats on Posting your first topic!

Message 52 of 73

We just received the letter for the Keystone Region with changes to be made May 11th.  sorry but it makes no sense.

It says channels from 0-999 will not change, but you enclose channel listings that has all channels from 1000 up.

So what is it?  ie:  our ABC affiliate is now 806 but the new channel listed is 1016.  FYI  we have digital premiere.

Posted by
Valued Contributor

Message 53 of 73

I'm guessing since it's going to be 1016 that you live in the Scranton/Wilkes-Barre TV market. The new numbers will be situated for local channels to whatever their advertising virtual channel is (for ABC 16 in Scranton, WNEP). You will still be able to use 806 (the current HD channel number) or 1016 (the new HD channel number). At this time, they're not planning on changing or discontinuing the channel numbers below 999.

Posted by
Regular Contributor

Message 54 of 73

I'm in the Boston, MA area also and just noticed the channels 1000+ as well. I like the idea of having the channels grouped by type. It does make it convenient when surfing through the channel line up. However if you aren't channel surfing it really doesn't matter that channels are grouped together. If you know the channel numbers already.

I do wish Comcast would email us when they do something like this so we don't have to find out by accident. After all they have all our email addresses.

Comcast just turned on the "Auto-Pad" feature. If you have a DVR and aren't familiar with this feature go into settings > Preferences > General > and scroll down to auto pad. This feature starts a recording 1 minute early and shuts it off 3 minutes late just so nothing is missed.

Posted by
Visitor
  • Thank you contributor for your first reply to the community!
 Posting replies is the best way to get involved.

Message 55 of 73

I like the new channel lineup also ... makes much more sense!

BUT for now it has cluttered up the guide duplicating everything in favorites mode and messed up voice selection!!

COMCAST: You are on the right path, but please move the voice search to find the new channel listings and enable selecting the new channel as the only favorite for that channel. You should have also informed customers when you add the new lineup and how it is now working so customers will not spend the time removing the old channel number as a favorite only to find it also removes the new listing also and then have to go back and add all the favorites again.

Posted by
Silver Problem Solver

Message 56 of 73

comerbuck wrote:

BUT for now it has cluttered up the guide duplicating everything in favorites mode and messed up voice selection!!

If you have non-X1, you can clean up the duplicates by rebooting the box, although it that has the side effect of taking a few days for everything to settle back down. Whenever you add a new channel to favorites, you will get the duplicate until you reboot, when it will clean itself up. I'm also not sure if the 'cleaned' version will only show the lower channel number or the one you initially choose from Favorites.

Posted by
Contributor

Message 57 of 73
Your local ad inserts (46373) are staring late. Set the clocks!
Posted by
Regular Contributor

Message 58 of 73

I just got the letter about these channel changes coming around May 23 in Philly.

But what is the deal with this?

If I have XFINITY X1, will my Voice Remote still work?

Yes, but channels 1000+ will only be seen as options in your channel guide. You won't be redirected to those channels automatically.

Isn't this a step backwards?

So for example instead of just saying "Cooking Channel" like I have been since using the voice remote I will now have to say the channel number instead which by the way I always forget! The Cooking Channel is in the 1000's Smiley Sad

The whole reason I love using the voice remote in the first place is so I do not have to remember channel numbers!

This can't be real can it????

Posted by
Regular Contributor

Message 59 of 73

I am not sure if this is true. I had to reboot a box, and the 1000s are still there. I don't care if they are there, I just don't want to them to be added when I add a favorite using the under 1000 number.

Posted by
Regular Contributor

Message 60 of 73

I think what they are saying is if you have the "redirect to an HD channel feature on you will go to the normal HD channel and not the 1000+ version. It seems that these 1000+ channel listings are just for people who are channel surfing in subgroups so they can surf through a subgroup easier. Eventually I believe they will remove the under 1000 channel listings and the 1000+ channels will be the only TV guide available. Seems we are getting so many channels there aren't enough numbers under 1000 for future growth.

Posted by
Regular Contributor

Message 61 of 73

Unfortunately they do add the 1000+ channel listing to your favorites list. So yes when you channel surf you will run through your channels twice, the under 1000 and the over 1000. Personally I wish they would add a feature that when you get to the end of the favorites list it would automatically go back to the first or lowest channel so I can around and around like a spinning wheel  and not have to put the lowest channel in. I like surfing in only one direction lowest to highest and don't like channel surfing from highest to lowest for some reason.

Posted by
Regular Contributor

Message 62 of 73

I was responding to the person above you said that you could get rid of the duplicates by rebooting the box. That is what didn't work for me. If they fixed the bug that does not add the 1000 channel when you add a favorite, that would be great.

I do agree that they will probably get rid of all lower channels everntually, which is a shame because I would rather have that numbering than over 1000. In the Denver market, there are tons of numbers still left under 1000 though. I wish they would standardize the offerings before they mess with the numbers. For example, in the South Florida market, they have HD channels for almost all of the pay channels. In Denver, they have almost none. They also have additional national channels there that they do not have here. As well, years ago, they used to offer the east and west feeds of many channels. Satellite TV still offers that, but Comcast only does a couple now. Comcast should offer the same packages of channels to all of its areas and standardize the pricing becase it isn't like you get more when you pay more right now. And I agree with the grouping, but they should just do that with the under 1000 channels.

I actually have no idea where the redirect to HD feature is. I have to press OK again to go to the HD, and even that isn't aligned perfectly as there are many channels that have an HD counterpart, but do not have that option even with an HD program (and really that shouldn't even matter since the HD channel looks better with an SD program too).

Posted by
Regular Contributor

Message 63 of 73

WindsurfMaui wrote:

Personally I wish they would add a feature that when you get to the end of the favorites list it would automatically go back to the first or lowest channel so I can around and around like a spinning wheel  and not have to put the lowest channel in. I like surfing in only one direction lowest to highest and don't like channel surfing from highest to lowest for some reason.

Actually, that is the way it works with my favorites. It starts at the lowest again once I pass the highest, and I can go around and around.

Posted by
Regular Contributor

Message 64 of 73

I think the 1000+ channel line up is their move toward standardization plus the ability to expand in the future. Personally I have trouble enough putting in 3 digits so 4 will be a pain but I understand there need so I will learn to live with it.  :>)

To turn on auto redirect to HD channels go into settings>Preferences>General and then on my TV the second line down  "Auto Tune to HD".

Posted by
Regular Contributor

Message 65 of 73

Did you have to turn on that feature or did it just come that way?

Posted by
Silver Problem Solver

Message 66 of 73

WindsurfMaui wrote:

I think the 1000+ channel line up is their move toward standardization plus the ability to expand in the future. Personally I have trouble enough putting in 3 digits so 4 will be a pain but I understand there need so I will learn to live with it.  :>)

To turn on auto redirect to HD channels go into settings>Preferences>General and then on my TV the second line down  "Auto Tune to HD".

Auto Tune to HD is an X1 feature. Non-X1 does not have that. The closest is that the info bar that pops up will have a "Watch in HD" highlighted when it's displayed. Hitting OK/Select will then switch to the HD version.

Posted by
Regular Contributor

Message 67 of 73

andyross wrote:

WindsurfMaui wrote:

Auto Tune to HD is an X1 feature. Non-X1 does not have that. The closest is that the info bar that pops up will have a "Watch in HD" highlighted when it's displayed. Hitting OK/Select will then switch to the HD version.

Yes. My responses and the post I was responding to were all about non-X1 boxes.

My non-X1 boxes have the button in the popup that I can select and the looping favorites menus (no preference needed).

Posted by
Regular Contributor

Message 68 of 73

Yes I remember that. I didn't move to X1 for a long time because I perceived it cost more and I didn't need to pay more than I was already paying. (My only complaint with Xfinity is that it costs too much, but I really like the quality of service here in my area. So overall I am a big fan) Then one day I called to check on something and found that the cost for X1 and non X1 is the same so I switched. Overall I am happy with the X1. There were some glitches in the beginning. X1 is more sensitive to problems in wiring etc so to get it to work make take some upgrades etc, but overall I think it is much better. And now I can watch DVR recordings in any room that I have an X1 HD box which makes my life much easier.

Posted by
Regular Contributor

Message 69 of 73

I prefer my own DVRs to any others, so I cannot move to X1 since Comcast does not allow both X1 and non-X1 boxes in the same house. The DVRs I use allow watching in other rooms, as well as on computers with linked software. This has been one of my favorite features since I created my DVR network about ten years ago. I also like the buffer that is only limited by the size of the hard drive. Whereas other DVRs can only go back 30-90 minutes, I can go back as many hours as available space I have (divided by 3). Now these DVRs aren't perfect because they stopped development before HD and only have single tuners, but the good far outweighs the limits.

Posted by
Regular Contributor

Message 70 of 73

I just noticed the lineup channel number changes this morning.   The only FAV error I have picked up on is BBC/AMERICA is now 1418  (from 1225)  

Posted by
Regular Visitor

Message 71 of 73

I like the new coding of the channels and grouping, now can you please give us a feature where we can delete any channel under 1000 from our guides?  This new realignment has no purpose if we still have the old format as well.  I don't need to see it both ways.

thanks

Posted by
Regular Contributor

Message 72 of 73

100% agree with this!!

Comcast just makes no sense with their decisions sometimes Smiley Sad

Posted by
Regular Contributor

Message 73 of 73

dellapple wrote:

I like the new coding of the channels and grouping, now can you please give us a feature where we can delete any channel under 1000 from our guides?  This new realignment has no purpose if we still have the old format as well.  I don't need to see it both ways.

thanks

Comcast can't delete the old format because not every customer has the same level of service so not everyone subscribes to HD programming therefore they can't remove the old format.