Find solutions, share knowledge, and get answers from customers and experts

New to the Community? Start here.

members

online now

discussions

Channel Lineup "New Channels 1000 - 1999"

New Poster

Re: Additional Channel Lineup

Thanks for nothing Xfinity. Major lineup change with no advanced notice, and then you screw your competitors (think Tivo) by not providing the info to them in advance so that they can update their guides. Nice way to tick off your customers.

Frequent Visitor

We just received the letter for the Keystone Region with changes to be made May 11th.  sorry but it makes no sense.

It says channels from 0-999 will not change, but you enclose channel listings that has all channels from 1000 up.

So what is it?  ie:  our ABC affiliate is now 806 but the new channel listed is 1016.  FYI  we have digital premiere.

Problem Solver

I'm guessing since it's going to be 1016 that you live in the Scranton/Wilkes-Barre TV market. The new numbers will be situated for local channels to whatever their advertising virtual channel is (for ABC 16 in Scranton, WNEP). You will still be able to use 806 (the current HD channel number) or 1016 (the new HD channel number). At this time, they're not planning on changing or discontinuing the channel numbers below 999.

Regular Contributor

I'm in the Boston, MA area also and just noticed the channels 1000+ as well. I like the idea of having the channels grouped by type. It does make it convenient when surfing through the channel line up. However if you aren't channel surfing it really doesn't matter that channels are grouped together. If you know the channel numbers already.

I do wish Comcast would email us when they do something like this so we don't have to find out by accident. After all they have all our email addresses.

Comcast just turned on the "Auto-Pad" feature. If you have a DVR and aren't familiar with this feature go into settings > Preferences > General > and scroll down to auto pad. This feature starts a recording 1 minute early and shuts it off 3 minutes late just so nothing is missed.

New Poster

I like the new channel lineup also ... makes much more sense!

BUT for now it has cluttered up the guide duplicating everything in favorites mode and messed up voice selection!!

COMCAST: You are on the right path, but please move the voice search to find the new channel listings and enable selecting the new channel as the only favorite for that channel. You should have also informed customers when you add the new lineup and how it is now working so customers will not spend the time removing the old channel number as a favorite only to find it also removes the new listing also and then have to go back and add all the favorites again.

Silver Problem Solver

comerbuck wrote:

BUT for now it has cluttered up the guide duplicating everything in favorites mode and messed up voice selection!!

If you have non-X1, you can clean up the duplicates by rebooting the box, although it that has the side effect of taking a few days for everything to settle back down. Whenever you add a new channel to favorites, you will get the duplicate until you reboot, when it will clean itself up. I'm also not sure if the 'cleaned' version will only show the lower channel number or the one you initially choose from Favorites.

Contributor

Your local ad inserts (46373) are staring late. Set the clocks!
Regular Contributor

I just got the letter about these channel changes coming around May 23 in Philly.

But what is the deal with this?

If I have XFINITY X1, will my Voice Remote still work?

Yes, but channels 1000+ will only be seen as options in your channel guide. You won't be redirected to those channels automatically.

Isn't this a step backwards?

So for example instead of just saying "Cooking Channel" like I have been since using the voice remote I will now have to say the channel number instead which by the way I always forget! The Cooking Channel is in the 1000's Smiley Sad

The whole reason I love using the voice remote in the first place is so I do not have to remember channel numbers!

This can't be real can it????

Regular Contributor

I am not sure if this is true. I had to reboot a box, and the 1000s are still there. I don't care if they are there, I just don't want to them to be added when I add a favorite using the under 1000 number.

Regular Contributor

I think what they are saying is if you have the "redirect to an HD channel feature on you will go to the normal HD channel and not the 1000+ version. It seems that these 1000+ channel listings are just for people who are channel surfing in subgroups so they can surf through a subgroup easier. Eventually I believe they will remove the under 1000 channel listings and the 1000+ channels will be the only TV guide available. Seems we are getting so many channels there aren't enough numbers under 1000 for future growth.

Regular Contributor

Unfortunately they do add the 1000+ channel listing to your favorites list. So yes when you channel surf you will run through your channels twice, the under 1000 and the over 1000. Personally I wish they would add a feature that when you get to the end of the favorites list it would automatically go back to the first or lowest channel so I can around and around like a spinning wheel  and not have to put the lowest channel in. I like surfing in only one direction lowest to highest and don't like channel surfing from highest to lowest for some reason.

Regular Contributor

I was responding to the person above you said that you could get rid of the duplicates by rebooting the box. That is what didn't work for me. If they fixed the bug that does not add the 1000 channel when you add a favorite, that would be great.

I do agree that they will probably get rid of all lower channels everntually, which is a shame because I would rather have that numbering than over 1000. In the Denver market, there are tons of numbers still left under 1000 though. I wish they would standardize the offerings before they mess with the numbers. For example, in the South Florida market, they have HD channels for almost all of the pay channels. In Denver, they have almost none. They also have additional national channels there that they do not have here. As well, years ago, they used to offer the east and west feeds of many channels. Satellite TV still offers that, but Comcast only does a couple now. Comcast should offer the same packages of channels to all of its areas and standardize the pricing becase it isn't like you get more when you pay more right now. And I agree with the grouping, but they should just do that with the under 1000 channels.

I actually have no idea where the redirect to HD feature is. I have to press OK again to go to the HD, and even that isn't aligned perfectly as there are many channels that have an HD counterpart, but do not have that option even with an HD program (and really that shouldn't even matter since the HD channel looks better with an SD program too).

Regular Contributor

WindsurfMaui wrote:

Personally I wish they would add a feature that when you get to the end of the favorites list it would automatically go back to the first or lowest channel so I can around and around like a spinning wheel  and not have to put the lowest channel in. I like surfing in only one direction lowest to highest and don't like channel surfing from highest to lowest for some reason.

Actually, that is the way it works with my favorites. It starts at the lowest again once I pass the highest, and I can go around and around.

Regular Contributor

I think the 1000+ channel line up is their move toward standardization plus the ability to expand in the future. Personally I have trouble enough putting in 3 digits so 4 will be a pain but I understand there need so I will learn to live with it.  :>)

To turn on auto redirect to HD channels go into settings>Preferences>General and then on my TV the second line down  "Auto Tune to HD".

Regular Contributor

Did you have to turn on that feature or did it just come that way?

Silver Problem Solver

WindsurfMaui wrote:

I think the 1000+ channel line up is their move toward standardization plus the ability to expand in the future. Personally I have trouble enough putting in 3 digits so 4 will be a pain but I understand there need so I will learn to live with it.  :>)

To turn on auto redirect to HD channels go into settings>Preferences>General and then on my TV the second line down  "Auto Tune to HD".

Auto Tune to HD is an X1 feature. Non-X1 does not have that. The closest is that the info bar that pops up will have a "Watch in HD" highlighted when it's displayed. Hitting OK/Select will then switch to the HD version.

Regular Contributor

andyross wrote:

WindsurfMaui wrote:

Auto Tune to HD is an X1 feature. Non-X1 does not have that. The closest is that the info bar that pops up will have a "Watch in HD" highlighted when it's displayed. Hitting OK/Select will then switch to the HD version.

Yes. My responses and the post I was responding to were all about non-X1 boxes.

My non-X1 boxes have the button in the popup that I can select and the looping favorites menus (no preference needed).

Regular Contributor

Yes I remember that. I didn't move to X1 for a long time because I perceived it cost more and I didn't need to pay more than I was already paying. (My only complaint with Xfinity is that it costs too much, but I really like the quality of service here in my area. So overall I am a big fan) Then one day I called to check on something and found that the cost for X1 and non X1 is the same so I switched. Overall I am happy with the X1. There were some glitches in the beginning. X1 is more sensitive to problems in wiring etc so to get it to work make take some upgrades etc, but overall I think it is much better. And now I can watch DVR recordings in any room that I have an X1 HD box which makes my life much easier.

Regular Contributor

I prefer my own DVRs to any others, so I cannot move to X1 since Comcast does not allow both X1 and non-X1 boxes in the same house. The DVRs I use allow watching in other rooms, as well as on computers with linked software. This has been one of my favorite features since I created my DVR network about ten years ago. I also like the buffer that is only limited by the size of the hard drive. Whereas other DVRs can only go back 30-90 minutes, I can go back as many hours as available space I have (divided by 3). Now these DVRs aren't perfect because they stopped development before HD and only have single tuners, but the good far outweighs the limits.

Regular Contributor

I just noticed the lineup channel number changes this morning.   The only FAV error I have picked up on is BBC/AMERICA is now 1418  (from 1225)  

Frequent Visitor

I like the new coding of the channels and grouping, now can you please give us a feature where we can delete any channel under 1000 from our guides?  This new realignment has no purpose if we still have the old format as well.  I don't need to see it both ways.

thanks

Regular Contributor

100% agree with this!!

Comcast just makes no sense with their decisions sometimes Smiley Sad

Valued Contributor

dellapple wrote:

I like the new coding of the channels and grouping, now can you please give us a feature where we can delete any channel under 1000 from our guides?  This new realignment has no purpose if we still have the old format as well.  I don't need to see it both ways.

thanks

Comcast can't delete the old format because not every customer has the same level of service so not everyone subscribes to HD programming therefore they can't remove the old format.

New Poster

I was just talking to an XFinity Rep on Facebook about this exact issue.  Not only did it add all the new 1000+ channel numbers, it also duplicated all my normal favorites and doubled the listing.  No warning or anything and if I delete the new 1000+ channel number it also deletes the original channel number.  I tried SyFy as a test and sure enough, both vanished from my favorite list. Please let us turn off the new 1000+ channels as I don't need to have them enabled at all.

And while you are at it, STOP with the daily update every single night.  I work till 2am or 3am on some nights and watch TV before bed.  Every night that stupid box pops up to restart my DVR for an update.  There should only ever be an update message when there is an actual update to apply.

Also, the EAS (Emergency Broadcast Interuption) is another extremely annoying thing especially when it runs twice, or 3 times with in 30 minutes.  Not only does it screw up recordings at times it screws up the entire DVR and won't reconnect to Live TV, forcing you to manually power off the unit, wait 5-10 minutes for it to come back up.

Regular Contributor

I agree with much of what you say. FYI if you go into settings>Preferences>general you can change the time of your daily update. I also stay up late and now let the update occur after 4 AM.

I know the Emergency Network tests are important but they do seem to ocurr almost purposefully at the worst possible times.

Frequent Visitor

Re: Channel Lineup "New Channels 1000 - 1999"

The new Lineup has been Live in Colorado. Now, if Comcast® would just speed things up on this X1/X2 Platform. Given the caliber of Comcast®/Xfinity™ as a global enterprise/conglomerate, how can things be so ridiculously slow and antiquated? It's just unbelievable how poorly Comcast equipment fails to communicate with it's own network, its own cloud, and my devices. 

Speaking of channels, how ridiculous is it that countless premium feeds/channels of HBO, Showtime, Max, and Starz/Encore aren't broadcast in HD? Doesn't Comcast realize how crappy standard definition looks on modern televisions? It's as if the programming team is living in 1990...light years behind Xfinity's content competitors. I'm sure greed is playing a role as to why Comcast® refuses to secure HD versions of all premium channels for their customers. For cripes sakes, Comcast® owns one of the Big 4. Will anyone be back at the table anytime soon to address this?

Regular Contributor

I am in Colorado too, and yes, it is ridiculous that they do not offer HD for all of the premium networks. Especailly since they DO have them in other parts of the country, like South Florida. My mom's house has had them all in HD for at least a decade.

That said, the quality of HD has gone down recently so that my HD channels (non-local boradcast channels) now look more like SD channels, and the SD channels are sometimes almost unwatchable. I assume this is from cramming more channels onto the same pipes, thus over-compressing them. That is greed, for sure.

Contributor

I've been complaining about the HD channel issue for years now, and Comcast simply doesn't care. Their customers are nothing to them but peasants they steal from. Nothing will get better despite the fact it's  2017.

Can't even get BBC America in HD here... Gotta wait till the next day to watch Doctor Who on onDemand to see it in HD. So lame. Can't even do us the courtesy of releasing it on onDemand at the same time it airs. Laziest company ever, I see why they're so hated.

That all being said... This new channel thing is awful. Just got switched on us Monday, and I have barely watched any TV since. There's a million sports channels I'll never watch just sitting in the middle there between 1200 and 1400 you gotta scroll through. I used to know where my channels were, but now it's a butchered mess that even Scooby and the gang wouldn't want to investigate. Throw in the fact you tossed in all the SD channels into it, which originally were contained in the 1~400 range... Now I don't even know what the heck is what. Well done Comcast. I hate you even more now, and I didn't think that was possible.

Sling, Vue, and Hulu just started to look a whole lot better.

And still waiting on them to fix the Xfinity Streaming issue on Roku that prevents Starz/Encore stuff to steam in HD. Takes up the screen like it should be HD, but the video quality is no better than a 480p video on youtube.

Regular Visitor

I think the new channel line-up is a terrible design.  All the local broadcast channels used to be in close proximity, allowing one to toggle between news shows with the "up" or "down" channel selectors.  Now they're separated by some bizarre choices - "Jewelry Television" - really ??? - making accessing the channels less convenient, slower and less intuitive.  NOT an improvement.

Regular Contributor

Zapix, thanks for the post. I checked my listing to see where the BBCAmerica channel is . In the old system it is 920 in my area and I found it also at 1418. But as I was scrolling through I also found BBCWorld on channel 1117. This surprised me since I didn't know there was a BBCWorld channel. It seems that it isn't on my old guide, HD or SD, at all just in the new line up. So now I have to go through all the new channel line up to see if there are any other new channels that wern't on my old listings.

I find the new 1000+ listing confusing as well, but it has been my experioence that we learn the new listsing as we use them. I had the same problem when they first started to list HD channels. But now I know all the channels I use cold. I assume it will be the same with the 1000+ listings. The only time I iuse the SD listings except for C-SPAN is when I want to scroll the paid premium channels. In SD HBO starts at 301 and scrolls through Showtime, Cinimax, Stars to 366. In the HD listings they are not all together so they are harder to find. So now I like the 1000+ listings b/c they are all together in HD now from 1755 - 1878 including The Movie Channels and the MGM movie channel.

Regular Contributor

BBC in HD is 773 if you are in the Denver/Front Range area.

Service Expert

sbwinter2 wrote:

BBC in HD is 773 if you are in the Denver/Front Range area.

I think you have to be paying extra for the HD Technology Fee.

Community Icon
I am not a Comcast employee, I am a paying customer just like you!
I am an XFINITY Forum Expert and I am here to help. For information on the program click here.
We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit from the conversation.
Was your question answered? Mark it as an accepted solution!solution Icon
Community Icon
I am not a Comcast employee. I am a paying customer just like you!
I am an XFINITY Forum Expert and I am here to help.
We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit.
Community Icon
I am not a Comcast employee.

Was your question answered?
Mark it as a solution!solution Icon

Regular Contributor

Of course. If you want any HD chennels, you have to pay for HD service. The discussion was about which channels were available in HD, and I wanted to share that in CO, BBC is availalbe in HD.

Official Employee

Hi XfinityWatchDog!I was able to check your channel lineup and see you are authorized to receive HBO, Showtime, Max, and Starz/Encore in HD and SD. If you'd like me to send you a email copy of your channel lineup and provide you with these channel numbers please send me a private message verifying the first and last name of the account holder, and the street address associated with your services. 

I 'd also like to look into your account to see if I can verify what is causing the communication issues with your devices. Thanks. 

Community Icon
I am an Official Comcast Employee.
Official Employees are from multiple teams within Comcast: Product, Support, Leadership.
We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit from the conversation.

Community Icon
I am an Offical Comcast Employee.
Official Employees are from multiple teams within Comcast.
Community Icon
I am a Comcast Employee.
Please post so people with similar questions may benefit.
Frequent Visitor

And here I just thought I was a complainer LOL. No, clearly Comcast/Xfinity remains deeply flawed despite being the massive conglomerate it is with all the resources in the world to make it right. sbwinter2, you're absolutely correct in that resolution has dropped substantially in our market -- Have you ever watched our local ABC affiliate KMGH-7? It's a grainy, smeary mess -- And looks that way on all 5 screens in my home. Ridiculous and so unnecessary.

The "HD technology fee" LOL -- Years ago now, the government mandated that all these networks be HD compliant to function with current technology...then they charge us for it? As if they don't fee us to death as it is. It's sheer insanity -- Especially seeing as the networks had to comply anyway...it's not as if the tech-sector was gonna sit back and nurse the networks until they got it togther. Bunch of greedy, lazy bums. They think we're all dumb. There's nothing like paying HD Fees for a channel line-up crammed with standard definition garbage that's viewable only on TV's which ceased production well over a decade ago.

sbwinter2, we must be out of our minds paying for this nonsense? And to think much of Cable and Satellite TV was essentially born here in Colorado. John Malone isn't far from me. Both Dish and DirectTV are based here with massive operations. And yet we're lacking 30 or so channels that have HD feeds in most other markets. You'd think we would be the hub of pristine HD content.

Kudos to Zapix! OnDemand is one feature of Comcast's that I've always believed is an amazing product -- There was nothing else like it until the competitors caught up. And yet with todays capabilities, Comcast still acts as if its impossible to upload programming instantly? Ugh. Just like you, we have to do the same thing in this market with HD content that's not broadcast OTA...must wait until the next day. Just stupid.

Frequent Visitor

Hi Che,

I'm well versed in both my channel lineup and Comcast/Xfinity technology. I don't need an email at this time, but thank you. I use a variety of methods for viewing the lineup, such as with Xfinity online lookup and mobile apps. The problem is, outside of the main channels for premium networks, the other 20 or so HBO, Max, Starz/Encore channels are not broadcast in HD, thus the horrific resolution on modern HDTV's.

Unfortunately Che, it's just not possible for you to figure out what's going on with the communications, sync, and functional issues with my equipment. There are intrinsic, deeply flawed problems in the X1 platform that prevents appropriate communication/functionality with X2 cloud technology. If you keep reading on my account, you'll see countless executive escalations ranging from recent months to years! There are people at Comcast Center in Philly who know me both professionally and as a customer -- You'll see that I've had executives, members of technical and field operations management teams, and engineers in my home to investigate and document ongoing issues, errors, and problems. These are people who never go to customers homes, ever. Yet that's just how bad it's been and still is.

I do appreciate the gesture of being willing to help -- That's a real rarity most days!

Official Employee

Hey XfinityWatchDog, I definitely understand. If there's anything we can assist you with, please don't hesitate to reach out. 

Community Icon
I am an Official Comcast Employee.
Official Employees are from multiple teams within Comcast: Product, Support, Leadership.

Community Icon
I am an Offical Comcast Employee.
Official Employees are from multiple teams within Comcast.
Community Icon
I am a Comcast Employee.
Please post so people with similar questions may benefit.
Frequent Visitor

BBC America is more for general entertainment. http://www.bbcamerica.com

BBC World News is the news programmer. http://www.bbc.com/news/world

Silver Problem Solver

XfinityWatchDog wrote:

The "HD technology fee" LOL -- Years ago now, the government mandated that all these networks be HD compliant to function with current technology...then they charge us for it?

Not true. The change was from analog to DIGITAL transmission (some low-power stations are still analog). Digital does not have to be HD. Many digital stations are just a single SD, or 6-8 SD's multicast.

Frequent Visitor

I agree ! Why is there a need to clutter your Favorite guide with duplicate channels that you will never watch. NOT USER FRIENDLY !!!!!!! 

Regular Contributor

I get BBC/America on 1418 with the HD X1 box.   Right now Star Trek Voyager is on in 4:3 aspect and maybe dvd quality.  

Regular Contributor

I can see the same thing. Could it be that the original program was filmed in SD quality and that is why it is being shown in SD? Comcast won't spend money to redigitize old shows into HD.

Regular Contributor

Comcast is just the provider, the conduit

Silver Problem Solver

robertmf wrote:

I get BBC/America on 1418 with the HD X1 box.   Right now Star Trek Voyager is on in 4:3 aspect and maybe dvd quality.  

Voyager is not an HD program. It was recorded in studio on film, but then transferred to video for editing and effects. Unlike TNG, there isn't enough demand yet to retransfer the film to video in HD and re-edit it, but it's still 4:3. The same is true for DS9. The original Star Trek was 100% film, so could easily be rescanned for HD, but it still maintains it's 4:3 ratio (they also redid many of the special effects digitally.)

http://trekmovie.com/tng-remastered/

http://trekmovie.com/tos-in-hd/

Contributor

I recently added HD boxes to all my tv's and was just learning the channel numbers and now there are more channel number to remember, lol

Regular Visitor

Why are some of the HD channels we already have being repeated in the 1000s?  We already have them on one channel, what's the need for two?  Also I noticed some channels in the 1000s or elsewhere on the channel guide that are not in HD that I know have HD simulcasts.  For example:

• AHC (American Heroes Channel)
  • Centric
  • Cooking Channel
  • Discovery Life
  • Disney Junior
  • DIY Network
  • Great American Country
  • Logo
  • MTV2
  • Nick Jr.
  • Nicktoons
  • Reelz
  • SundanceTV
  • TeenNick
  • TV Land
  • Universo

Are there plans to have HD simulcasts of these channels?

Regular Contributor

Don't think of the 1000+ listings as duplicates but rather a different way to group the channels by subject. Eventually the 1000+ listings will take the place of the SD & HD under 1000 channels.

Regular Contributor

For all intents and purposes, within the channel guide, they are duplicates regardless of the channel they switch to. And having channels in the 1000s actually breaks the way some listing services work. Why can't they just reorganize the channels while keeping them under 1000 instead of creating another listing occurance? Since franchise markets are not what they were decades ago, they also need to offer the same channels in the same packages universally. That means HD channels for all premiums (and others) offered everywhere and not just in certain markets. We packages are priced about the same throughout the country, but some markets get more and better channels for their money than others. Not fair.

Regular Contributor

Well I think they added the over 1000 channels because they are running out of numbers under 1000. Don't forget there are lots of pay for views channels and there will be more all the time. Plus I think the over 1000 channels are a way for them to standardize channels accross the country. Which is why eventually they will remove the under 1000 numbres.

As for what channels are available that is beyond my knowledge. I assume it has something to do with the level of equipment, wiring in that area. I can now get Netflix over Xfinity without the need for a smart TV. I assume soon they will have other non traditional channels.

Regular Visitor

For zip code 60102 could you please finish with the these three missing channels:

ABC7 @ 1007
FOX32 @ 1032
CSN+ @ 1252

Then all the channels will have a home in the 1000s!!!

Thank you!