New to the Community? Start here.

members

online now

discussions

Changes to Favorites Guide Channel Numbers

Posted by
Visitor
Message 1 of 6

I recently added a channel to my xFinity Favorites Guide, it added the channel but it also added the same channel with a 4 digit channel number above 1000.  Example:  I added FNC Channel 265 to the Favorites Guide; it also added FNC Channel 1110.  If I try to delete the higher numbered channel, it also deletes the lower numbered channel.  So my Favorites Guide now has to contain both channels so I can use one of them.  There does not appear to be any difference when viewing either channel; content and appearance appears to be identical.

What is going on here?   I read through some of the threads and saw references to standardizing channel numbers nationwide.  I do live in the Chicagland area and it was mentioned as one of the test areas.  Are these four digit channel numbers part of that program?  If so wouldn't it seem reasonable to let the users/customers in on the secret?  A simple billing insert notice would help, there are some of us that do read them.

5 REPLIES
Posted by
Regular Visitor
  • Thank you contributor for your first reply to the community!
 Posting replies is the best way to get involved.
  • Congrats on Posting your first topic!

Message 2 of 6

I came to the forum today to ask this same question- also in Chicago area- what is going on with these 4-digit duplicate channel listings?

Posted by
Valued Contributor

Message 3 of 6

Comcast is beginning to standardize the channel lineups across the country through their many systems. This means that 4 digit channel numbers will be the same across the entire Comcast footprint at some point.

The current channel numbers aren't going away, which means you'll be able to access content on both channels in your area. As far as I know, the Chicago area is the first and only place that has seen these numbers.

All HD channels will be in the 1000s, and if there is no HD version of the channel, the SD equivalent will also be in the 4 digit neighborhood, grouped by genre with other news, sports, entertainment, kids and movie channels.

Posted by
Visitor
Message 4 of 6

Thank you for the reply.  After more thread reading, following the post, I came to the same conclusion you did.   It just seems that a billing insert should have been provided, they are read by some of us.

The only downside is that my Favorites Guide is twice as big as it needs to be, not a big deal because all the new, extra channel entries are at the end.

It seems to me that a translate table, like the one they already provide to translate Standard Definition channels to High Definition channels, would have worked.  That is currently done without user/customer interaction.  So why not use one more translate?  That is an additional table and small software change.   Oops, I forgot, there is no such thing as a small software change with Comcast.

We still need a way to specify that the Favorites Guide is the default Guide.  It used to have a button on the controller but that is gone.  It could be added to the setup menu.  Oops, another software change.

Posted by
Regular Visitor

Message 5 of 6

This feature is now available- I was happy to find it poking around in the Setup menus- you can set your default guide to be whatever you want- all channels, HD, Favorites, Kids, etc.

Posted by
Visitor

Message 6 of 6

This is obnoxious.  Whenever adding an hd channel to new or existing favorite list at least two channels appear, one of which falls in the 1000 range.  Xfinity needs to use the channel number only as an index for the favorite's list to avoid duplication of channels.   Please let us know if an update with a fix is planned, or if there is a work-around solution.