Find solutions, share knowledge, and get answers from customers and experts

New to the Community? Start here.

members

topics

Big Ten Network > Spring 2018

ANSWERED
New Poster

BTN

Just learned that Xfinity has dropped or is dropping the BTN in southwest Florida. If this eventuates, we will cancel our Xfinity/Comcast bundle (internet, cable TV, and phone) which is approximately $275/month and switch to Direct TV or streaming service which carries the BTN. 

New Poster

Re: Big Ten Network > Spring 2018

Yeah, count me out too. I live in Denver, which has thousands of B1G fans including many from nearby Nebraska. I watch any and every Buckeye game that's on BTN- football, baseball, basketball, lacrosse, hockey, etc, etc. For years we've paid for the full Comcast bundle including the land line that we don't use or answer, all costing us MUCH more than I want to pay, mostly to see sports with Ohio State at the top of the list. Last night I get home only to find that I can't watch the OSU-UM lax game and today I'm going to get hosed out of the OSU spring football game which really ticks me off! I'm sure there will be no cost reduction for that, not that it matters.

<edited due to forum guidelines violation>

New Poster

Dropping BTN is the last straw, I got the sports package primarily to get BTN. The service on Xfinity is good generally but dropping BTN is it I am done with Comcast!

New Poster

Surprised customers were not notified - please bring the service back!

New Poster

BTN not available

How and why did you elimanate the BTN network? It's one of my favorite sites, and today I wanted to watch the Ohio State spring game and found out the channel was no longer available! Are you crazy. This is a great network, and I'm not happy this is not available.

Please respond

New Poster

Re: BTN not available

Can’t believe you dropped this channel do you know how many Ohio State fans live in Florida
<edited due to forum guidelines violation>

New Poster

droping BTN Network

why did you drop the BTN Network in the fort myers area???????????

there are thoundsands of  North Central residents who have moved into or come to the southwest florida area for the winter,

pleases reconsider

jack haver

fort myers

New Poster

Big 10 channel and Comcast

What is Comcast up to now. One of the main reasons we have Comcast is to watch the Big Ten channel and now they no longer offer it, why?  We have been with Comcast since 1994 but we will be moving to another provider this month. Bad choice by Comcast.

New Poster

I am a BTN user is Denver and have been with Comcast since 1989. . Willing to pay extra
for access to watch Big 10 games. Now it’s gone. Poof. No notice. I’ve stayed with Comcast because they were always able to fix a problem I was having. Not this time. I will begin to investigate ways to “cut the cable cord”. My neighbor assured me he can show me ways to get the channels I want including BTN for less than I’m paying Comcast. Looking forward to a new set up.
Regular Visitor

I learned about Comcast dropping BTN in an Illini Basketball forum. As a 30 year Comcast client and an avid BTN user in the State of Washington during football and basketball season, while not watching anything during the off season, I am extremely disappointed in the decision and disappointed in the reply from writing to <edited due to forum guidelines violation> at Comcast ECARE that more than 70 Big Ten games will be carried here on various sports channels, a mere drop in the bucket and doesn’t solve my preference to watch University of Illinois games. Like others, I will drop the sports package and look into competitor alternatives.

New Poster

Big 10 Network

Comcast, Xfinity or whatever it's called just dropped the Big 10 Network channel from my channel lineup (despite it still showing up on My Account's channel lineup).  I want it back.

New Poster

Re: Removing big ten network

Well We went toa Big Ten School, we happen to live and wirk in Tx so <edited due to forum guidelines violation> our BTN. This is just WRONG. A lot of us former Big Ten graduates live in tx. Wevwant our BTN back!! <edited due to forum guidelines violation>

New Poster

Add me to the list of customers planning on leaving Comcast if you don't change the decision on BTN.  For years I wouldn't switch from DirectTV specifically because they carried BTN in my area.  A Comcast salesman convinced me to switch and pay for the most expensive package in my area because that was the only way to get BTN on Comcast (in standard def no less).  While it might look good on paper to drop this package, it's clear that this is one of those rare channels that many customers will go to a competitor if they can't get it here.

There are lots of streaming options for most things out there, but I, like many, want the convenience of recording live sporting events to my DVR so I can start watching them a little while after the start time.  In many ways this is the only reason I pay for live TV.  If this isn't fixed before football season, I too will be going back to DirectTV.

Thanks for your attention.

New Poster

complaint

Just recently I received notice on my TV that Xfinity was no longer carrying the Big10 network.  Why?  This is one of my favorite sports channels.  When I went to the Xfinity store I was told if I lived in the Midwest I would still have the channel.  Since I don't live there (I live in WA), I would like to know if there are anhy alternatives to getting the Big10 network back on in the Washington area?

New Poster

Hey Comcast,

THE BIG 10 is a NATIONAL BRAND!

You lost our account.  

Regular Visitor

Re: complaint

Same here, brother! Living in Bellevue, I still root for the Illini and watch all the games...until now!
Regular Visitor

I am dissapointed in the decision to drop the Big Ten Network. If I need to go to the internet to find Michigan football and basketball games, then I probably need to rethink subscribing to cable TV packages all together.

New Poster

BTN

I would like to see the Big Ten Network return to comcast in my area. Is there a chance that can Happen?

New Poster

I live in california and watch big ten channel as part of sports package.  I pay extra for this opprotunity!  Please reinstate it.  AT&T in this area offers this channel.  Please let me know if you will not reinstate channel so I can switch to AT&T.  Tony

New Poster

Add me to the list of people looking to cancel as I live in Washington State. Can someone clarify if we will need to maintain the Sports and Entertainment package to watch btn2go or can we just do that with the Digital Starter package?

New Poster

I am absolutely speechless! I live in Denver, and couldn’t wait for my Purdue Boilermakers Spring game...not knowing that would be my LAST game on Comcast! I will definitely be looking for a new provider! And as others have stated...the way this has been handled by Comcast is unprofessional and unacceptable. I hope they realize how much business they’re going to lose in order to “save money”! So so disappointed!!!
New Poster

Sorry to hear you have decided to drop the Big 10 channel from your line up in Colorado. It was the only reason I purchased the extra sport pack. I purchased it for my elderly mother who is NOT going to watch sports on a computer monitor. Really upset because I just renewed a 2 year contract and cant cancel without pentalty.

New Poster

What a horrible decision to drop BTN in southwest Florida.  The retiree/snowbird community in this area is overwhelmingly from the upper midwest....the heart of BIG country.  Just wait til your ears start burning from snowbird input next Fall football season.  This decision was very poorly thought through.

New Poster

comcast dropping Big Ten Network

We are Florida residents in winter and big supporters of Big Ten athletics. Comcast has decided to drop Big Ten Network here. How can we voice our complaints? Will everyone join me?

New Poster

So shortsighted. Many of us live outside the big ten region but watch the Big Ten Network. Frankly, for me, it’s one of the only reasons I keep my Comcast subscription, for live sports. Otherwise I would have cut the cord long ago. No more. Time to find alternative. Bye Comcast.
Regular Visitor

I just called Comcast and dropped my Sports Entertainment Package. They tried to upsell me on a new cell phone service for “free.” I said that I was specifically dropping the package because of them dropping BTN and am considering Direct or Dish in September when my contract runs out. In reference to the BTN comment, the rep said, “Believe me, I know, I have been taking calls all day about it.”

Frequent Visitor

Called Comcast and dumped the the Sports Entertainment Package. Told them in no uncertain terms it was due to dropping BTN.
Silver Problem Solver

Re: comcast dropping Big Ten Network

Sports networks are expen$ive. Outside of the B10 states, where the contract may mandate carriage, the viewership is probably not enough to cover the costs Comcast has to pay.

New Poster

The hundreds of thousands of students that graduated from big ten schools did not all remain in the state they graduated from.  BTN needs to be brought back.

New Poster

Hey Comcast,

I have been a customer of yours since 1999, yep, nearly 20 years.  We've had our share of issues in our relationship, like any, but this pulling of the BTN network is going to have to be the last straw.  You should not decide what channels I have access to based on where I live.  I guess it doesn't make sense to you that there are loyal fans OUTSIDE OF THE CONFERENCE region.   Perhaps as soon as I moved from Nebraska, I should have given up the college team I'd watched since I was born.  Maybe you know better than I do and BTN was not good for me, like bacon, or sugar or an ice cold beer on a hot afternoon.  <Edited for violating forum guidelines: "Inflammatory">

Sorry, but I'm going to have to leave.  Just remember why, it wasn't me, it was you.  I did my part.  I was loyal when Google came calling.  I'm upset I guess, because I believe in relationships (and I love your remote and interface).  But, I love my Cornhuskers more than any investment in our relationship and honor them by watching all I can, much like I honored you for the last 19 years and over $45,000 in paid statements.  

I wish you the best, but I'll never be back.  

Comcast vs. Cornhusers = Cornhuskers  

GBR!

New Poster

Amen!! Same in Colorado! <Edited for violating forum guidelines: "Inflammatory"> decision to not at least offer it <Edited for violating forum guidelines: "Inflammatory"> until my contract runs out. 

Man I dislike Dish and Direct but will start checking them all out for phone, internet and video bundle. Comcast please hurry and change your mind. 

<Edited for violating forum guidelines: "Inflammatory"> must have BTN

GBR

New Poster

Boom, well said!

New Poster

Was just told by Comcast No on BTN2GO. Cannot put in Comcast as your provider if not avail in your area. In Colorado springs, some say are "lousy" with Husker fans, plenty at bar watch parties, we are not a Big Ten state so not offered. Then why are we "Blessed" w SEC? A&M is closest SEC member and Nebraska is far closer. Marketing wizards!
Frequent Visitor

In sw FL we get the PAC 12 but NOT BTN? Someone explain that genius move! How about it board monitor. Explain please?!
Official Employee

@Dksdr1 wrote:
In sw FL we get the PAC 12 but NOT BTN? Someone explain that genius move! How about it board monitor. Explain please?!

Apologies. For some additional background, traditionally, some of this can be around specific programing contracts, channel ownership, costs and overall viewership. Channel ownership is fairly public information, provided below: 

Big 10 Network is owned by Fox Entertainment Group (51%) and Big Ten Conference (49%). source: https://www.mediapost.com/publications/article/157692/fox-moves-to-majority-position-in-big-ten-netw...

SEC Network is owned by ESPN  (80%) and Hearst Communications (20%).

source:  https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/SEC_Network

PAC12 Network is owned by the 12 universities in the PAC12 Conference.  

source:  http://pac-12.com/content/about-pac-12-networks

Unfortunately, we can't get into specific details about contracts, terms and costs here as our contracts and terms with our programmers are proprietary and confidential. Different channel owners likely have or may have different contract terms, costs and associated contractual language.

Linked article below from Fierce Cable has some details that you might find of interest:  
https://www.fiercecable.com/cable/conference-drops-pricey-big-ten-network-non-conference-regions

Also Philadelphia Inquirer article below: 

http://www.philly.com/philly/business/comcast/comcast-big-ten-network-cable-sports-espn-cutting-view...

Community Icon
I am an Official Comcast Employee.
Official Employees are from multiple teams within Comcast: Product, Support, Leadership.
We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit from the conversation.
Was your question answered? Mark a Best Answer!solution Icon
Community Icon
I am an Offical Comcast Employee.
Official Employees are from multiple teams within Comcast.
We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit.
Community Icon
I am a Comcast Employee.
Please post so people with similar questions may benefit.
Was your question answered?
Mark a Best Answer!solution Icon

Official Employee

@HuskerDirk wrote:
Was just told by Comcast No on BTN2GO. Cannot put in Comcast as your provider if not avail in your area. In Colorado springs, some say are "lousy" with Husker fans, plenty at bar watch parties, we are not a Big Ten state so not offered. Then why are we "Blessed" w SEC? A&M is closest SEC member and Nebraska is far closer. Marketing wizards!

Apologies. For some additional background, traditionally, some of this can be around specific programing contracts, channel ownership, costs and overall viewership. Channel ownership is fairly public information, provided below: 

Big 10 Network is owned by Fox Entertainment Group (51%) and Big Ten Conference (49%). source: https://www.mediapost.com/publications/article/157692/fox-moves-to-majority-position-in-big-ten-netw...

SEC Network is owned by ESPN  (80%) and Hearst Communications (20%).

source:  https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/SEC_Network

PAC12 Network is owned by the 12 universities in the PAC12 Conference.  

source:  http://pac-12.com/content/about-pac-12-networks

Unfortunately, we can't get into specific details about contracts, terms and costs here as our contracts and terms with our programmers are proprietary and confidential. Different channel owners likely have or may have different contract terms, costs and associated contractual language.

Linked article below from Fierce Cable has some details that you might find of interest:  
https://www.fiercecable.com/cable/conference-drops-pricey-big-ten-network-non-conference-regions

Also Philadelphia Inquirer article below:

http://www.philly.com/philly/business/comcast/comcast-big-ten-network-cable-sports-espn-cutting-view...

Community Icon
I am an Official Comcast Employee.
Official Employees are from multiple teams within Comcast: Product, Support, Leadership.
We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit from the conversation.
Community Icon
I am an Offical Comcast Employee.
Official Employees are from multiple teams within Comcast.
We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit.
Community Icon
I am a Comcast Employee.
Please post so people with similar questions may benefit.
Was your question answered?
Mark a Best Answer!solution Icon

New Poster

The Death of Big Ten Channel on Comcast

Don't see too much appreciation in the comments for the  "appropriate value" now being increased by the elimination of  BTN. As a Comcast stock holder and Cornhusker diehard, I don't quite get this effort to alienate the customers. Comcast (as acknowledged by past commercials) has long earned a nasty customer service reputation and must surely recognize that this <Edited for violating forum guidelines: "Inflammatory">.

New Poster

BIG Ten

Your removing the BIG Ten network from areas that do not have a Big Ten presence is a travisty!  Thousands of Big Ten alumnae live in areas that are outside of the Big Ten states and they are passionate about their school!  The only reason I got the Sports package in SC was for the Big Ten Channel which I will now be cancelling.  <Edited for violating forum guidelines: "Inflammatory">

Regular Visitor

No more BTN in Memphis?

Got an email from Comcast today saying that Big Ten Network is being dropped from our lineup, with no explanation. Wondering why, I then found an article online stating that Comcast is dropping BTN in markets/states where no Big Ten schools are located...what?!? There are very large Big Ten fan bases located outside the conference's geographic footprint, especially for large, national schools like Ohio State, Michigan, and Penn State. This is a really poor decision, especially if SEC Network isn't being restricted similarly...I hope Comcast reconsiders this!

Go Bucks!

New Poster

Big Ten Network

Since I don't speak Spanish and I don't watch kid shows  , those channels are not in my network , remove them and bring back BTN.  

New Poster

Re: Big Ten Network

Not any more!  When will the Big Ten Network be back in the Comcast lineup for subscribers that live outside of the B1G footprint?

New Poster

Why was Big Ten Network removed?

Can anyone answer WHY? I've seen posts that it was done and only people in states with Big 10 schools can watch. but WHY? Can't people who live in those states go to the games and or watch on local. Isn't the intent of the network to hit the widest coverage to Big 10 grads or fans who live all over the US. Very poor choice by you Xfinity. Will have to switch to a provider who cares about their customers. When  we pay for a sports package it's because we like sports. Are you going to give me money back after reducing my Sports Package? I literally have hundreds of channels I don't watch that you make me take yet you take away one channel I was paying extra for. I'll trade you 100 channels I don't use, like all the Spanish channels and trade you for BTN.. Very poor choice, Xfinity. 

New Poster

BTN NETWORK

TRUELY SAD THAT THE BIG TEN NETWORK IS OFF THE AIR.  I SIGNED UP AND PAID EXTRA TO HAVE THIS CHANNEL.  I HAVE BEEN A COMCAST SUBSCRIBER FOR OVER 30 YEARS AND PAID THE INCREASES EVERY YEAR ONLY TO SEE FAVORITES DISAPPEAR AND CHANNELS ADDED THAT ARE WORTHLESS, I KNOW THERE ARE THOUSANDS OF FANS IN FLORIDA FROM THE BIG 10 SAD DAY INDEED.  I WILL REALLY HAVE TO LOOK AT OTHER PROVIDERS BECAUSE OF THIS COME ON COMCAST GET YOUR ACT TOGETHER.

New Poster

Hello Xfinity - I'm not out of network for the Big Ten.... I live in the USA

Has Xfinity gone insane?   You think only people in 8 states care about the Big Ten network?   Do you understand that sports is the only thing that keeps me paying you $300/month for services?

I prefer not to cut the cable...but I will if you make me.

Mad in Texas

New Poster

Big 10 Network

Why has Comcast chosen to eliminate the Big 10 Network from their TV line-up?? There are many sports channels-- even the PAC 12-- what about Big 10 fans?? How can they do this?? If a channel is available when you signup--and then it is removed--isn't comcast breaking their contract  with you?? Big 10 is a channel I count on for viewing my favorite sports--now it is no longer available--

New Poster

Big Ten Network

I just cancelled my sports package. Without the sports I will monitor how much I watch TV. Probably will cancel the whole TV access in the near future. I can understand moving it to another tier or making it a la carte but removing access? That cost Comcast revenue in the near term and likely a customer in the long term. 

New Poster

Comcast screws its subscribers again losing big10 network

Comcast is removing big10 network from non big10 market lineups. <edited for violating forum guidelines: "Inflammatory">. Who the <edited for violating forum guidelines: "Circumventing language filter"> do they think needs it the most??! If you are in a big10 market you can watch your games on local tv. Time to cut the cord.

New Poster

big ten network

The elimination of the Big Ten network in states without a Big Ten team makes no sense. The alumni associations for these universities is huge and I for one who lives in San Francisco can vouch for the huge amount of Big Ten alums and future students. I don't want to leave Comcast, but the insensitivity to its customers may force me to look elsewhere for a new provider

Xfinity Events:
WATCHATHON 2018... See More