topics

Big Ten Network > Spring 2018

ANSWERED
Problem Solver

Big Ten Network > Spring 2018

On April 12 why?

Accepted Solution

Re: Removing big ten network

All - thanks for your feedback and passion. It has been noted and shared. 

As of this month, Big 10 Network (BTN) is being removed from the Sports & Entertainment package for areas that are out-of-market, meaning this will not impact customers who live in an area with a school in the Big 10 conference. 

The areas that will continue to receive BTN are Illinois, Indiana, Maryland, Michigan, Minnesota, New Jersey, Ohio, Pennsylvania, Wisconsin, District of Columbia, Delaware, Virginia, North Carolina and West Virginia.

The Big Ten Network in-market feed, available to customers in Big Ten states in 
the regular channel line-up, will continue to be available.

Big Ten has gone digital via their YouTube channel and directly from btn.com. The YouTube channel is also accessible via the YouTube app on X1.

To give some additional context here: Several years ago, we responded to the interests of some sports fans in certain markets by adding a limited number of out-of-market sports channels to the Sports & Entertainment Package. In the years since, the opportunities for fans to connect with their sports interests outside the area where they live has grown dramatically. As a result, viewership of these often-blacked-out channels has dropped to a point where they no longer represented an appropriate value for customers with this package. Many of these channels offer content online and through mobile apps. There may also be other channels that are included in your package that carry the programming you're looking for.

Thanks for the feedback. 

Additional background here from Fierce Cable: https://www.fiercecable.com/cable/conference-drops-pricey-big-ten-network-non-conference-regions

and here from the Philadelphia Inquirer: 

http://www.philly.com/philly/business/comcast/comcast-big-ten-network-cable-sports-espn-cutting-viewership-south-20180417.html

A lot of factors were involved into this decision, including viewership, customer impact, costs and our contract terms with this network. 

To further clarify, to access BTN full coverage online, you would need to have BTN in your current level of service. The current contract terms with this network only allow online access to BTN for customers who have that channel in their level of service. That is how most all cable networks operate and this situation is standard across all video providers. Details here: https://www.btn2go.com/page/btntv

BTN does offer a lot of highlights, interviews and profiles on their website, with no sign in or subscription required:  http://btn.com/

Details and pricing for an online subscription to BTN Plus (direct from BTN) can be found at the links below : 

https://www.btn2go.com/page/btnplus

https://www.btn2go.com/packages?type=0

Please note that  BTN Plus does not include Big Ten football games. 

Fans can still access more than 70 Big Ten basketball live games on ESPN networks, FOX Sports, FS1 and CBS Sports. Big Ten Plus (see above) will also carry numerous live games throughout the season.

The Big Ten Network YouTube channel offers game previews, highlights, analysis, press conferences and original shows.

X1 customers can also access the Big Ten Network YouTube channel via the following actions:

Using your X1 voice remote, say “YouTube” to launch the app’s search engine. Once inside the YouTube app, use the arrow keys on your remote to enter the search box and type in the words “Big Ten Network” or “BTN” and then hit “OK.”

If you don’t have a Voice remote, tap the “XFINITY” button on your X1 remote, navigate to the “Apps” menu and click on the “YouTube” icon. Once inside the YouTube app, use the arrow keys on your remote to enter the search box and type in the “Big Ten Network” or “BTN” and then hit “OK.”

My understanding is that BTN does not currently offer their channel as an a-la-carte offering to any video provider. That is, it not currently permissible to offer this network like an HBO or other premium channel at a stand-alone per-month charge, as much as our customers might desire that option.

Our programming teams and local management teams constantly evaluate programming choices and make decisions based on customer interests, costs, channel bandwidth management and contractual obligations.

Of course, situations may change based on customer demand, channel bandwidth opportunities, business opportunities, costs and contractual obligations

Thanks for your comments and your passion. They have been noted and shared with the right teams here at Comcast. 

View answer in context
Frequent Visitor

Big Ten Network (yes or no?)

I live in North Fort Myers FL. My latest bill says BTN will be off the sports package as of 1/11/18. Called and was told it is being dropped completely from channel lineup not just the package. True or false? What's up? Can't seem to get an explanation.
Problem Solver

Re: Big Ten Network (yes or no?)

Channel choice is done by service area. If the bill says it will be removed from the sports pkg. you will no longer have the channel. More than likely the viewership is down on that channel and they want to use the space for something else.

Admin1

Hi Pharrell -- We regularly evaluate our channel lineups and sometimes make changes to ensure we're offering customers a wide variety of content at the best value. 

Community Icon
I am an Official Comcast Employee.
Official Employees are from multiple teams within Comcast: Product, Support, Leadership.
We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit from the conversation.
Was your question answered? Mark a Best Answer!solution Icon
Community Icon
I am an Offical Comcast Employee.
Official Employees are from multiple teams within Comcast.
We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit.
Community Icon
I am a Comcast Employee.
Please post so people with similar questions may benefit.
Was your question answered?
Mark a Best Answer!solution Icon

New Poster

ComcastZach - that’s not really an answer.  The one-liner about removing BTN after 4/11/18 was buried on the last page of my bill, among irrelevant notes, and I stumbled upon it.  How is it that Comcast came to decision to alienate thousands of Big Ten fans spread across the country by totally dropping the network?  Sports and entertainment package wasn’t much to speak of to begin with, and BTN was main reason I got it - so I might as well cancel it now since outsider of Ohio State football reruns I wasn’t going to see live games until fall.  Was it “per subscriber “ fee that Comcast balked at?  Would simply be nice to get a straight answer, rather than “we evaluate the lineup”.

New Poster

Agreed. Not really an answer. Paying $10/month primarily for B1G football and basketball - that's a free $10/month to Comcast for the balance of the year. Will be watching second quarter/third quarter earnings call for subscriber numbers at Comcast to drop across the country as customers switch providers, including me. I'm sure that the wonderful B1G commissioner (Delaney) is somehow behind this. At least they waited until after the B1G basketball tournament (but right before the spring football games) was done. One of those rare moments when TSUN and TSDS are on the same side, #GOBLUE!

Tags (1)
New Poster

Yup. I just randomly looked at my paper bill which I never do and saw buried on the last page they are removing BTN. Buried in the last page like it’s no big deal. I’m sure they will replace it with some awesome channel that nobody watches.
I have hated Comcast since day 1 but the issue I have it where I’m at, we cannot get uverse which I have had for years and loved. Guess it’s time to start looking at sling tv or other options!! Until then, gettting rid of the sports package since I only had it for BTN.
Regular Contributor

I'm shocked they would drop BTN.  I watch many football and BB games on that channel.

Frequent Visitor

Could you please explain how if channels are removed but the price of our service does not decrease, Comcast is providing a wide variety of content at the best value.  All you have done is increase the price per channel.  If Comcast really cares (<Edited for violating forum guidelines: "Inflammatory">) about providing value, it would remove all of the shopping and other useless channels no one watches.  BTV (channle 102 in my area) has been on the air for 3 years and has never aired a single program other than infomercials--but I'm paying some amount for that but a channel people actually watch, such as BTN, is being removed just so Comcast can increase its profits.  <Edited for violating forum guidelines: "Inflammatory">

Frequent Visitor

I hope it won't be removed in the Chicago area.

Frequent Visitor

If you are indeed a Comcast employee, please share the following with those who make decisions......I live in S Florida in a 1300+ home community. 95% of us are from the Northeast or Midwest. At least half our residents fly Big Ten flags etc in our yards. Here in our area alone, there are more than a dozen similar communities. And I’m hearing this decision is affecting folks all the way up to the north central section of the state. That’s an awful lot of business to send to DirectTV or DISH or other newer alternatives. And despite the <Edited for violating forum guidelines: "Inflammatory"> way Comcast notified us in our bill, the word is out that you’re eliminating the network. I am currently the President of our HOA and I regularly communicate with the officers of other developments. If Comcast follows through with this move, we will do all we can to recommend alternative solutions so folks can continue to watch the Big Ten Network without Comcast. Suggest your higher ups rethink this strategy! And I honestly resent the way Comcast chose to notify us!

Valued Contributor

@UNCNU wrote:

Could you please explain how if channels are removed but the price of our service does not decrease, Comcast is providing a wide variety of content at the best value.  All you have done is increase the price per channel.  If Comcast really cares (<Edited for violating forum guidelines: "Inflammatory">) about providing value, it would remove all of the shopping and other useless channels no one watches.  BTV (channle 102 in my area) has been on the air for 3 years and has never aired a single program other than infomercials--but I'm paying some amount for that but a channel people actually watch, such as BTN, is being removed just so Comcast can increase its profits.  <Edited for violating forum guidelines: "Inflammatory">

I believe the shopping channels are free. At least they were a few years ago. Comcast pays nothing to those networks. In fact, they may even pay Comcast to provide them. Your monthly rates do not include a fee for the shopping channels.
New Poster

This is not an acceptable response.   why keep the SEC network then. No one in my part of the country gives a hoot about the SEC. This forces me to stream which then decreases my need for Comcast.

New Poster

I agree. Why keep the SEC and PAC12 network when it's obvious from the previous comments that the Big Ten network is a popular channel in south Florida. There are thousands of midwest sports fans that don't care about southern sports. KEEP THE BIG TEN NETWORK! 

New Poster

This is the straw that broke the camel's back -- time to cut the Xfinity cable.. Fubo, DirecTVNow, PlaystationVue include BTN in their packages. Previously the only reason to keep Xfinity was the internet, but local internet providers are becoming reliable and cheaper than Xfinity and have the channels we want.

Contributor

@UNCNU wrote:

You should read up on how inflation works, prices never go down

Contributor

@Dksdr1 wrote:
I live in North Fort Myers FL. My latest bill says BTN will be off the sports package as of 1/11/18. Called and was told it is being dropped completely from channel lineup not just the package. True or false? What's up? Can't seem to get an explanation.

so what happened on 1/12/18? 

Frequent Visitor

It did not go off the air in January. However, our latest bill now says we lose it in early April. Notice was delivered the same <Edited for violating forum guidelines: "Inflammatory"> way.....buried among the small print in one of the back pages of my bill,

Frequent Visitor

I know how inflation works--this has nothing to do with inflation.  The Comcast employee said they periodically review the channel lineup to provide a wide variety of content at the best value.  My comment was that if channels are removed and customers either do not see a price reduction (whether or not that is realistic) or receive replacement channels with equal or greater viewship, the removal of the channel is not providing customers with a wide variety of content at the best value.  That is, we get nothing in return for the channel removal, so their statement is factually incorrect.  I agree Comcast will not lower their prices--but that just proves their explantation false.

If before the removal of channels I had 200 channels for $100 per month and then afterwards I have 195 channels for $100 per month, how am I being provided a wide variety of content at the best value?

Regular Contributor

Goodbye BIG TEN NETWORK

Today is the last Day Big ten will be on my comcast system.

It's a shame it never got it's debut in HD and they stopped showing games on it.

It's sad.

I don't understan why ESPN Classic and Big ten network the FCS suite of channels has to go?

I understand you don't wanna raise the price on the bill but its bad to lose content like this for two years now.

Hopefully some new channels get added. either on the stream TV go site or linear channels.

Frequent Visitor

Re: Goodbye BIG TEN NETWORK

The Big Ten Network's still on here in the Chicago area.

New Poster

Could not agree more, the decision to remove the BTN is sufficient for me to bail from Xfinity. I am also an officer on my HOA and I will be shring this with everyone I can reach. 

New Poster

Big Ten Network

Explain if the decision on removing the Big Ten Nework is a Local or a System Wide decision.  Regardless, why did it happen and why was their so little discussion.  

I am in Florida, where many people from the Mid-west and East Coast relocate.  I still have access to the Pac 10 network, but not the Big Ten..

Explain, please

Patrick 

New Poster

BTN has just been removed in North Florida. Time for a new provider.

Regular Visitor

<Edited for violating forum guidelines: "Inflammatory">. I've paid for phone service I don't use, and now your messing with what I watch 50% of the time. Thanks for being responseable to your clients. You make it sound like your doing this for your customers when I'm sure this only benefits Comcast!! You won't be missed!!

Frequent Visitor

BTN dropped here in SW FL this morning (4/10). Time to say bye bye to Comcast. Don’t think they understand the ramifications of this stupid move!
New Poster

I want my Big Ten Network back <Edited for violating forum guidelines: "Circumventing language filter">

New Poster

Thought Comcast had it going on - but this is <Edited for violating forum guidelines: "Circumventing language filter"> pulling BTN.

Frequent Visitor

Call Customer Service and give them an earful! They need to hear from us. I don’t think they really considered the ramifications of this move!
New Poster

I just learned of this today.  Spoke to the Comcast rep who said that it was the BTN that dropped Comcast!  What is the real story here.  Can't believe that either Comcast or BTN would be so stupid as to alienate a huge number of customers.  Are other regions affected or just the Southeast.  I live in Savannah, GA.  I have complained to BTN and to Comcast customer service.  Comcast service representative seemed generally uninterested.  

New Poster

They deleted the Big 10 today from my service. I'll be deleting them shortly. They got me by the short hairs on internet, but not TV.
Frequent Visitor

Sounds like the entire south is getting hammered by this insane decision. I’m sure it’s all about money. Savannah GA? And we’re in North Fort Myers FL. What the heck is going on here? Does Comcast really want to lose so many customers from these two states?
Problem Solver

I'm in Central California so they are removing it for most of california too

Problem Solver

Maybe because Big ten network is an SD channel.

Did comcast ever think of making BIG TEN in HD I know I would watch it more if it was.

New Poster

What a shock to SW Florida. The big ten states are a high % of both full time retirees and half time residents. What arrogance! So far Pelican Bay and Naples Heritage are two communities that have dropped Comcast. I now will urge Cedar Hammock to do the same or I will add Sattelite TV and reduce content from Comcast.
Regular Visitor

I am another BTN fan that is totally fuming at the degree of Comcast <Edited for violating forum guidelines: "Inflammatory"> Give me a break ... I checked and no turnip truck parked out front in this neighborhood! Do you believe the nerve of these people.

I will shop my TV/Phone/WIFI bundle to another. <Edited for violating forum guidelines: "Inflammatory">. I wonder how much money Comcast will lose due to this <Edited for violating forum guidelines: "Inflammatory">. Someone actually probably thought they could save money doing this.  They are alienating millions of customers from the largest NCAA conference, containing the two largest alumni organization in America, referring to Michigan and Penn State.

Everyone should contact their local providers to complain. Be aware, one of my calls ended up in Asia and I could hardly understand their "english".  I hung up and redialed to get someone in this country. Please be vocal and emotional, but no profanity or personal attacks.  All business.

JT

New Poster

I am really unhappy with what Comcast is doing here, and I intend to vote with my feet. The gobbldy junk they try to feed us when you ask what's going on is totally self serving nonsense. I was paying $9.95 a month for a sports entertainment package soley so I could get the BTN. I called to get that charge removed when I found out the BTN was no longer going to be included. And now I find the Military History channel is part of the sports entertainment package so it's now gone as well. What a load of hooey.

New Poster

I am becoming more and more displeased w comcast.
New Poster

I will be calling other providers tomorrow and changing how I do business with. Extremely disappointed in this decision and lack of communication.
New Poster

You might want to reevaluate the decision and any consideration of a raise this year for the employee or director that came up with the idea to drop the Big 10...<Edited for violating forum guidelines: "Inflammatory">.

Regular Visitor

I will be looking into Direct TV. And other services. I have the quad package but will be looking at moving all.
New Poster

I, too, live in a large gated community of about 2500 dwellings...we are in a position that soon our contract with comcast will be terminated for us to negotiate with some other digital services that would provide more leeway with our sports and other packages...including the BTN...the very stealthy way Comcast went about its notification is justified enough for us to dump that company...we are largely a midwest, pro-B1G community that loves our league and its multitude of sports, with flags and golf club covers and shirts and even bathing suits touting our favorite B1G teams...soooooo, Comcast, good bye and good riddance to your formerly lucrative programming!

Regular Visitor

I also am a Big Ten alum living in Central Florida who is very upset that Comcast is removing the BTN channel.  I dropped Comcast years ago when they dragged their feet on adding BTN to their channel lineup when BTN first became available.  I was a DTV or DISH subscriber for many years until we moved to Central Florida two years ago.  I signed on with Comcast because of their internet speed and because their reliability and customer service had improved and because BTN was a part of their Sports Entertainment Package.  Now I will have to re-evaluate my relationship with them.  I do have other options than Comcast in the retirement community we call home.  There are numerous households here that are from the Big Ten states and they are avid about their BTN football and basketball.  This decision by Comcast will cause Comcast to lose a lot of customers.

Regular Visitor

If this is happening I will drop Comcast like a bad habit. Plenty of options where I am. BTN is one of the only reasons I got COmcast in the first place.  

Official Employee

All - thanks for your feedback and passion. It has been noted and shared. 

As of this month, Big 10 Network (BTN) is being removed from the Sports & Entertainment package for areas that are out-of-market, meaning this will not impact customers who live in an area with a school in the Big 10 conference. 

The areas that will continue to receive BTN are Illinois, Indiana, Maryland, Michigan, Minnesota, New Jersey, Ohio, Pennsylvania, Wisconsin, District of Columbia, Delaware, Virginia, North Carolina and West Virginia.

The Big Ten Network in-market feed, available to customers in Big Ten states in 
the regular channel line-up, will continue to be available.

Big Ten has gone digital via their YouTube channel and directly from btn.com. The YouTube channel is also accessible via the YouTube app on X1.

To give some additional context here: Several years ago, we responded to the interests of some sports fans in certain markets by adding a limited number of out-of-market sports channels to the Sports & Entertainment Package. In the years since, the opportunities for fans to connect with their sports interests outside the area where they live has grown dramatically. As a result, viewership of these often-blacked-out channels has dropped to a point where they no longer represented an appropriate value for customers with this package. Many of these channels offer content online and through mobile apps. There may also be other channels that are included in your package that carry the programming you're looking for.

Thanks for the feedback. 

Additional background here from Fierce Cable: https://www.fiercecable.com/cable/conference-drops-pricey-big-ten-network-non-conference-regions

and here from the Philadelphia Inquirer: 

http://www.philly.com/philly/business/comcast/comcast-big-ten-network-cable-sports-espn-cutting-view...

A lot of factors were involved into this decision, including viewership, customer impact, costs and our contract terms with this network. 

To further clarify, to access BTN full coverage online, you would need to have BTN in your current level of service. The current contract terms with this network only allow online access to BTN for customers who have that channel in their level of service. That is how most all cable networks operate and this situation is standard across all video providers. Details here: https://www.btn2go.com/page/btntv

BTN does offer a lot of highlights, interviews and profiles on their website, with no sign in or subscription required:  http://btn.com/

Details and pricing for an online subscription to BTN Plus (direct from BTN) can be found at the links below : 

https://www.btn2go.com/page/btnplus

https://www.btn2go.com/packages?type=0

Please note that  BTN Plus does not include Big Ten football games. 

Fans can still access more than 70 Big Ten basketball live games on ESPN networks, FOX Sports, FS1 and CBS Sports. Big Ten Plus (see above) will also carry numerous live games throughout the season.

The Big Ten Network YouTube channel offers game previews, highlights, analysis, press conferences and original shows.

X1 customers can also access the Big Ten Network YouTube channel via the following actions:

Using your X1 voice remote, say “YouTube” to launch the app’s search engine. Once inside the YouTube app, use the arrow keys on your remote to enter the search box and type in the words “Big Ten Network” or “BTN” and then hit “OK.”

If you don’t have a Voice remote, tap the “XFINITY” button on your X1 remote, navigate to the “Apps” menu and click on the “YouTube” icon. Once inside the YouTube app, use the arrow keys on your remote to enter the search box and type in the “Big Ten Network” or “BTN” and then hit “OK.”

My understanding is that BTN does not currently offer their channel as an a-la-carte offering to any video provider. That is, it not currently permissible to offer this network like an HBO or other premium channel at a stand-alone per-month charge, as much as our customers might desire that option.

Our programming teams and local management teams constantly evaluate programming choices and make decisions based on customer interests, costs, channel bandwidth management and contractual obligations.

Of course, situations may change based on customer demand, channel bandwidth opportunities, business opportunities, costs and contractual obligations

Thanks for your comments and your passion. They have been noted and shared with the right teams here at Comcast. 

Community Icon
Official Employees are from multiple teams within Comcast: Product, Support, Leadership.
We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit from the conversation.
Community Icon
Community Icon
I am a Comcast Employee.

Frequent Visitor

Garbage! The state of Florida is FULL of folks who moved here from the Big Ten “footprint” area. Check your demographics!
Official Employee

@Dksdr1 wrote:
Garbage! The state of Florida is FULL of folks who moved here from the Big Ten “footprint” area. Check your demographics!

https://www.youtube.com/bigtennetwork

http://btn.com/

Community Icon
Community Icon
Community Icon
I am a Comcast Employee.

Official Employee

@tbill1 wrote:

I'm shocked they would drop BTN.  I watch many football and BB games on that channel.

Apologies for any confusion we may have caused. This channel is not being removed in any areas that are in the Big 10 school footprint (like your area). .  

Community Icon
Community Icon
Community Icon
I am a Comcast Employee.

Admin1

Re: Big Ten Network

Hi spears404 -- The out-of-market Big Ten Network feed, which was carried on Sports & Entertainment pkg in non-Big Ten states, was dropped in some areas. Big Ten Network in-market feed, available to customers in Big Ten states in the regular channel line-up, will continue to be available.

The explanation for this is that several years ago, we responded to the interests of some sports fans in certain markets by adding a limited number of out-of-market sports channels to the Sports & Entertainment pkg. In the years since, the opportunities for fans to connect with their sports interests outside the area where they live has grown dramatically, on line and on apps. As a result, viewership of these often-blacked-out channels has dropped to a point where they no longer represented an appropriate value for Sports & Entertainment pkg customers.

Community Icon
Community Icon
Community Icon
I am a Comcast Employee.

Frequent Visitor

And I regularly review my cable options to see which cable company best meets my needs. I will be dropping Comcast the instant you no long carry BTN.

Special Events
FIFA World Cup 2018 on Xfinity See More