New to the Community? Start here.

members

online now

discussions

broadcast tv fee

SOLVED
Posted by
New Poster
  • Thank you contributor for your first reply to the community!
 Posting replies is the best way to get involved.
  • Congrats on Posting your first topic!
  • Congratulations on receiving your first Kudos! Thank you for your meaningful contribution to the forum. May this be the first of many kudos.

Message 1 of 24

Why am I being charged a broadcast tv fee of $3.25? 

Last month I had a broadcast tv fee of $1.50.

What is this fee for and why is it more this month?

Can anyone help with this issue?

I would appreciate it.

Thank you

23 REPLIES
Posted by
Valued Contributor

Message 2 of 24
Comcast raised the price of some equipment and fees starting in January, that is one of them
Posted by
Regular Contributor

Message 3 of 24

The broadcast fee is from retransmission fees charged to cable companies  by broadcast  stations  (EX: ABC, CBS, NBC & FOX).

These are free over the air with an antenna.

Posted by
Contributor

Message 4 of 24

kookie62 wrote:

Why am I being charged a broadcast tv fee of $3.25? 

Last month I had a broadcast tv fee of $1.50.

My bill also jumped from $1.50 to $3.25?

Indeed - take a look at the math, both our bills had their "Broadcast TV Fee" more than DOUBLED!  I understand that it's 1st of the year, kicking off certain increases.  And the actual amount is not large, but it is DOUBLED!

Did the content suppliers DOUBLE their rate charged to Comcast - unlikely.  Rather Comcast appears to be making a little profit on the QT.

As a loyal customer, that smells something akin to "fish" here, I feel we are owed an explanation.

Posted by
New Poster
  • Congrats on Posting your first topic!
  • Congratulations on receiving your first Kudos! Thank you for your meaningful contribution to the forum. May this be the first of many kudos.

Message 5 of 24

I agree that we are owed an explanation. I doubt we get one, though.

Posted by
Contributor

Message 6 of 24

Noticed the same thing this month. I think that if I have agreed to a fixed price over a certain amount of time that ethically I need to be given notification (and a brief explanation) of any increase to that agreed upon price. None of my other fixed amount bills (car payment, rent type stuff that's the same every month) can just increase the amount of payment owed without notice, so why is Comcast any different?

But I likewise doubt that we're going to receive anything at this point. 

Posted by
New Poster
  • Great Job! Your reply has been accepted. Thank you for helping and Congrats on your 1st Solution.

Message 7 of 24
Just got our bill, new $3 broadcast fee charge and $1 sports fee charge. For what???? Called the off-shore customer"service" and was told it is to improve reception. HUH? Seems like a backdoor way to increase what I was told in April 2024 would be our "forever" price. Also told direct tv and Verizon do it. Ripoff.
Posted by
New Poster

Message 8 of 24

It's WRONG and should be **ILLEGAL** to charge customers for services they don't USE!!! "Broadcast services" are NOT USED BY CABLE SUBSCRIBERS!!!  It's the whole point cable in the first place!!  (Not using Broadcast services)

Posted by
Valued Contributor

Message 9 of 24

"Noticed the same thing this month. I think that if I have agreed to a fixed price over a certain amount of time that ethically I need to be given notification (and a brief explanation) of any increase to that agreed upon price"

Just FYI I did receive notification on my December bill and a separate letter in the mail stating rate increases for 2015. Basically it was explained that they had an increased cost of doing business so that cost was passed on to the customers

Posted by
Contributor

Message 10 of 24

Major networks receive these fees. They determine the amount to dig into the consumers pockets. Comcast is the pass thru for this. They rarely get a big cut of this amount. They are required by an old rule to follow course. This is more an issue on the network levels then it is directly comcast. Its not illegal any more then its illegal to have tax increases without "asking" the consumer first. They tell us, and we have to comply.

Posted by
New Poster

Message 11 of 24

The broadcast tv fee and Regional sports fee are both a ripoff. When My salesman came to my door and solicited me he did not advise me of these extra fees. I asked him at least 5 times if the price he quoted me was the bottom line price. He did advise me taxes would be extra and he didn't do how much they were. He said nothing of these fees. Comcast should include these in their quotes

Highlighted
Posted by
Admin1

Message 12 of 24
Solution

Hello All,

This is some information on the Broadcast TV Fee:

Broadcast stations are allowed by the government to charge for their signals, and cable providers like Comcast are required to pay substantial fees in order to carry those signals. In recent years, the cost to retransmit broadcast television signals has more than doubled. The Broadcast TV Fee is an itemized charge on your bill that is intended to offset a portion of the costs of retransmitting broadcast television signals.

Community Icon
I am an Offical Comcast Employee.
Official Employees are from multiple teams within Comcast: Product, Support, Leadership.
We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit from the conversation.

Was your question answered? Mark it as an accepted solution!solution Icon
Community Icon
Official Employees are from multiple teams within Comcast.
We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit.
Community Icon
I am a Comcast Employee.
Please post so people with similar questions may benefit.
Was your question answered?
Mark it as a solution!solution Icon
Posted by
Contributor

Message 13 of 24

"Broadcast stations are allowed by the government to charge for their signals" The conditions of a station getting a license from the FCC include that they must broadcast free over the air, for everyone.

Considering that I am ALREADY paying for the channels, why the money grab for a Broadcast Fee?  BROADCAST television is supposed to be free over the air, I'm already paying for the service and the box, why do I need to pay yet again for something that should be free? Greed. Because Comcast just doesn't make enough money.

Posted by
Admin1

Message 14 of 24

Federal law allows local U.S. broadcast television stations (i.e., affiliates of networks such as CBS, NBC, ABC, Fox, etc.) to negotiate with cable & satellite providers in order to obtain "consent" to carry their broadcast signals (Cable Television Consumer Protection and Competition Act of 1992). 

As a direct result of local broadcast, or "network-affiliated," TV stations increasing the rates to cable & satellite providers to distribute their signals to their customers, the providers will be passing those charges on as a Broadcast TV Surcharge or Fee. These local TV signals were historically made available to the providers at no cost, or low cost. However, in recent years the prices demanded by local broadcast TV stations have necessitated that the providers pass these costs on to customers.  

Broadcast TV stations distribute their signals over the air, using free spectrum granted to them by the federal government. In effect, taxpayers are subsidizing the distribution of broadcast, or "network-affiliated," TV signals. These same broadcast TV stations are then allowed by the government to charge the providers for their signals. If the cable or satellite provider doesn't agree to pay, broadcasters can force the provider to drop their channels, thereby adversely impacting the providers customers. 

Broadcast stations have the option of requiring cable & satellite providers to carry their stations for no monthly fee, or opting to negotiate a charge to cable & satellite providers for the right to carry their station. While there may still be some stations that do not demand payment from the providers for carriage, other local TV stations require significant payment from the providers, and it is their charges that are reflected in the Broadcast TV Surcharge or Fee.

Community Icon
Official Employees are from multiple teams within Comcast: Product, Support, Leadership.
We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit from the conversation.

Community Icon
Community Icon
I am a Comcast Employee.
Posted by
Problem Solver

Message 15 of 24

If the goverment is raising prices I Just don't get it.

this is extortion. we can't get any other channels without standard so they are forcing this fee on us because without paying it we can't get the real content we want.

Posted by
New Poster

Message 16 of 24

So will this go away when Google Fiber comes to Atlanta?

Posted by
Official Employee

Message 17 of 24

Hello Fiber4all,

I'm sorry for the delay, Are you referring to the Broadcast TV Fee?

Community Icon
I am an Official Comcast Employee.

Community Icon
Community Icon
I am a Comcast Employee.
Posted by
New Poster

Message 18 of 24

Upon review of my Comcast bills I called today, Sunday, to find out why I was being charged for a $3 Broadcast TV fee and a $1 Regional Sports Fee. These charges appeared in my June and July bills under the section "Other Charges & Credits" and I wanted to get a better understanding of what and why these charges appeared all of a sudden and if they can be removed.  As an aside, I don't watch sports. The call center agent explained they were state and government taxes and could not be removed.  I asked her why they didn't appear in the "Taxes, Surcharges, and Fees" section and she corrected herself and stated that they are not State fees but that they are government fees that Comcast had been approved to charge customers. One fee was approved in 2014 and one was approved in January of 2015. She researched my May bill, which she kept referring to as my March bill, and indicated she couldn't find the charge. She wasn't really a good listener because I had to repeat myself a couple of times. I told her I would call during normal business hours to get clarity as she didn't seem like she fully understood the issue.  She then proceeded to tell me that she would notate tmy account on the missing charges since last year to get my account corrected. I indicated that there was absolutely no possibility of me having to pay for an error someone forgot to add on my bill and if she does so, I would cancel my account. What kind of customer service training did she have? So, because she couldn't understand why these charges appeared on my account all of a sudden she's going to add charges to MY account because of HER ignorance?  I don't think so...  Upon closer dissection of my June and July bills, there is a notation there but still no explanation as to why these charges are forced onto customers. I will be writing a formal letter, but feel free to check my viewing usage account to see that I do not watch sports so please remove that new Regional Sports Fee from my bill, and with regards to the $3 Broadcast TV fee, I don't feel that Comcast should make any changes to an account until a package expiration or renewal takes place.  I agree with earlier comments posted that customers are already paying a package price for the tv stations/channels. Anything extra should come with a formal notification to customers PRIOR to the charge and the option to cancel or comment.

Posted by
Official Employee

Message 19 of 24

Hello JC15,

I will be more than happy to go over the reasons for the increases regarding your billing. Comcast is committed to improving our customers’ entertainment experience.  As we continue to make investments in our products and services, we periodically need to adjust prices due to increases in programming, business and technology enhancement costs. (i.e.) The Broadcast TV fee or the Regional Sports fee. The Regional Sports Fee is not based on if you're watching the sporting events or not, but rather that they are available in the package you subscribe to. The Broadcast TV fee recovers a portion of the costs of retransmitting television broadcast signals. Broadcast stations are allowed by the government to charge for their signals, and cable providers like Comcast are required to pay substantial fees in order to carry those signals. In recent years, the cost to retransmit broadcast television signals has more than doubled. The Broadcast TV Fee is an itemized charge on your bill that is intended to offset a portion of the costs of retransmitting broadcast television signals. I hope this helps bring some clarity. Please let us know if you have any additional questions or concerns in the future.

Thank You!

Community Icon

Community Icon
Community Icon
I am a Comcast Employee.
Posted by
Regular Contributor

Message 20 of 24
@ComcastCares

Do you understand what the word "mandate" means? It appears that you don't so FYI:

man·date\ˈman-ˌdāt\
noun
: an official order to do something

The decision by Comcast to charge customers the Broadcast TV Fee was neither required, ordered nor mandated but, allowed by the U.S. Government. Huge difference between mandated and allowed. Comcast, who by the way owns NBC, decided all on their own to pass along "retransmission costs" to the customer. I would like to know if any of the Broadcast TV Fee, $3.25 in the DC Metro area, is being paid to NBC, which as I already said, is owned by Comcast? Have an answer for that?

Same goes for the Regional Sports Fee. Comcast owns regional sports broadcasting stations all over the U.S. so are they paying themselves with any of this fee?
Posted by
Official Employee

Message 21 of 24

Hello Baileynbeen,

I'll be more than happy to address your concerns. We don’t comment on individual programming agreements with any network, including NBC Universal. It’s important to note that we operate Comcast and NBC Universal as two separate businesses.

Community Icon

Community Icon
Community Icon
I am a Comcast Employee.
Posted by
New Poster

Message 22 of 24

Is there a way to remove certain fees such as the "Regional Sports fee"? I don't watch any of the sports channels let alone anything about regional sports, so can I have that fee removed or even the regional sports channels themselves and the fee.

Posted by
Official Employee

Message 23 of 24

James1831-

The regional sports fee is a national fee. Comcast is committed to improving our customers’ entertainment experience.  As we continue to make investments in our products and services, we periodically need to adjust prices due to increases in programming, business and technology enhancement costs. The fee is not based on if you're watching them or not, but rather that they are available in the package you subscribe to.

Community Icon

Community Icon
Community Icon
I am a Comcast Employee.
Posted by
New Poster

Message 24 of 24

...Let me be the first to suggest a BOYCOTT of this de-facto public utility.

I don’t want to ramble here about my frustrations, suffice to say they lie to us thru their representatives about motives; otherwise they would simply increase monthly fees the same way they always do.

Quote from comcastcares:

“As we continue to make investments in our products and          services, we             periodically need to adjust prices due to    increases in programming, business and technology      enhancement costs.”

Something is amiss here and we better try to expose it now rather than later when it’s too late.

CANCLE your subscriptions and join the BOYCOTT of Comcast

Soon to be “class action” law suit to be sure!

This type of billing activity is Lawless!