Find solutions, share knowledge, and get answers from customers and experts

New to the Community? Start here.

members

topics

Xfinity Tech Visit Charge

ANSWERED
New Poster

Xfinity Tech Visit Charge

I recently started an account with Xfinity, on April 2nd. At the time I setup my account, the sales rep informed me that I may have to pay for "Professional Installation" which was $60. The sales broker I had been working with confirmed that should I actually need help plugging in cables to my own equipment I could proceed with that but once I was at the location with my own equipment, I could just call tech support and provision my modem with no "installation/activation" fee (This is something I've done in the past with Cox and Verizon when I used Coax networks previously).

After calling tech support, I was informed the Tier 1 Internet and Phone Tech Support wasn't able to help, and I was transferred to what was referred to as "Activations" or "CDV". My connection was then turned on, my Internet was functional, and the  scheduled "Professional Installation" for 9 days later (Apr 11) was cancelled.

At this point I was under the impression my account would not be charged for the $60 "Professional Installation". While still on the phone with the technician, I was testing my connection speeds, and wasn't quite able to obtain what was expected. The technician on the phone then scheduled a tech visit, trouble call, or work order, whatever you want to call it, so that someone could come out and figure out why my signal wasn't working.

Here it is now 3 days later, April 5th, and the technician arrives. The technician is very polite and after testing the coax drop in my apartment, he confirms that the signal was too noisy, that something outside my house was at fault. He claimed to have "replaced a filter" and we began testing my connection speeds. Please note at this time I have an appropriate modem to obtain the speeds I would be paying for and a wireless router connected to the modem. The technician then claimed that due to his phone not being able to reach speeds above 100mbps or so, that my Modem was to blame. First, as I work with Ethernet networks all day long, you never test your cat6 speeds with WiFi. At best you could get 144.4 Mbps in the best test environments. To help this technician, I directly connected my laptop to my modem and using a Comcast server speed test I was able to get much higher speeds than the technician. Unfortunately to our dismay, the server didn't have Upload to match my account's Download. I connected to a Verizon Fios server, and was able to prove to the technician my speed was now as expected. Before the technician left, I inquired if his visit was "Professional Installation" to which he confirmed it was not. This appears to have been a trouble call to replace Comcast hardware/infrastructure outside of my apartment. 

Later, reviewing my bill I was still setup to pay the $60 for this "Professional Installation" which in my opinion was never received. I called the Billing department and after 30 minutes working with what appeared to be a very frustrated representative, a "Manager" (who never spoke to me directly) concluded that regardless my account has to be charged some setup or activation fee and that my "Professional Installation" was dropped and now I have a $40 Tech Visit fee. 

I've been reading through the forums here and the archives at least suggest that at one point there was a "Comcast Guarantee" which indicated that Comcast/Xfinity equipment, the stuff you know, NOT in my house, was not my responsibility. If for some reason something outside of my own hardware were at fault, why am I charged $40? I could link the articles I found in the archives of this very forum, but I'm sure that everyone here has read service visit fee posts on multiple occasions. 

If something outside my control gets damaged, am I ultimately responsible to pay for Comcast's infrastructure repair? If so, I may have to use the other ISP in my area which doesn't quite provide the speed I am looking for, but at least isn't as shady as this silent agreement I don't remember reading. 

Accepted Solution

Re: Xfinity Tech Visit Charge

smilingyello, I've sent you a private message a few days ago with more information on the charge and the applicable credit. Please post again if you need anything else. 

KenF

View answer in context
Cable Expert

I've asked a Comcast employee to help you. You should expect a reply in this thread. 

Community Icon
I am not a Comcast employee, I am a paying customer just like you!
I am an XFINITY Forum Expert and I am here to help. For information on the program click here.
We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit from the conversation.
Was your question answered? Mark a Best Answer!solution Icon
Community Icon
I am not a Comcast employee. I am a paying customer just like you!
I am an XFINITY Forum Expert and I am here to help.
We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit.
Community Icon
I am not a Comcast employee.

Was your question answered?
Mark an Answer!solution Icon

Official Employee

smilingyello, thanks for reaching out. This type of charge would apply if you were attempting to set up services yourself but it was unsuccessful. You technically were able to connect so I'll investigate this further. Please send me a private message with your full name, address, and account related phone number so I can help.

Community Icon
I am an Official Comcast Employee.
Official Employees are from multiple teams within Comcast: Product, Support, Leadership.
We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit from the conversation.
Community Icon
I am an Offical Comcast Employee.
Official Employees are from multiple teams within Comcast.
Community Icon
I am a Comcast Employee.
Please post so people with similar questions may benefit.
Mark a Best Answer!solution Icon

New Poster

I just sent you a message with the information requested. Thank you for investigating this for me. 

Official Employee

I just sent you a message with the information requested. Thank you for investigating this for me. 

smilingyello, no problem, I got your message. 

Community Icon
Official Employees are from multiple teams within Comcast: Product, Support, Leadership.
Community Icon
Community Icon
I am a Comcast Employee.

Official Employee

smilingyello, I've sent you a private message a few days ago with more information on the charge and the applicable credit. Please post again if you need anything else. 

KenF

Community Icon
Community Icon
Community Icon
I am a Comcast Employee.

Special Events
FIFA World Cup 2018 on Xfinity See More
Discussion stats
  • 5 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 3 in conversation