Welcome to Xfinity Help & Support Forums
Find solutions, share knowledge, and get answers from customers and experts

New to the Community? Start here.

members

topics

Technician Visit Charge for Comcast-Side Issue?

New Poster

Technician Visit Charge for Comcast-Side Issue?

I singed up for Comcast Xfinity Internet service a little over a week ago. Last week I took my modem to the new house and used the Comcast self-install kit to connect my modem to the coaxial cable from the wall. I called Comcast to have them assist me in registering my modem on their network and they were able to receive a signal from my modem. However, an Internet connection was never established to the modem. The phone tech said they would need to send a tech out to my house and that it would cost $60 because I used the self-install kit, regardless if the problem was my equipment or on the Comcast side.

My modem works in my other house, no issues. Comcast confirmed receiving a signal from my modem. When I called Comcast back a few days later they said it's likely they need a tech to "activate" the service at my location and tune the signal. I scheduled a technician to come out tomorrow (Wednesday, April 4th) because I need to get Internet working in my home.

How is this on me to pay a $60 charge for Comcast to send a technician to fix something wrong on their end?

Cable Expert

Re: Technician Visit Charge for Comcast-Side Issue?

@cgrube wrote:

How is this on me to pay a $60 charge for Comcast to send a technician to fix something wrong on their end?

It's the installation charge that they would have charged you if you elected a professional install. Since they have to send a tech out, they are now charging you that fee. 

Community Icon
I am not a Comcast employee, I am a paying customer just like you!
I am an XFINITY Forum Expert and I am here to help. For information on the program click here.
We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit from the conversation.
Was your question answered? Mark a Best Answer!solution Icon
Community Icon
I am not a Comcast employee. I am a paying customer just like you!
I am an XFINITY Forum Expert and I am here to help.
We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit.
Community Icon
I am not a Comcast employee.

Was your question answered?
Mark an Answer!solution Icon

New Poster

@nerdburg wrote:

@cgrube wrote:

It's the installation charge that they would have charged you if you elected a professional install. Since they have to send a tech out, they are now charging you that fee. 

The tech is here now - he says there is no signal from the street to the house and will need to install a new drop. I'm still confused why this is charged to me as it is an issue with the Comcast side of the network.

Cable Expert

I see where you are coming from. But in their view, if they had to send a tech (for whatever reason), they charge an installation fee.

Community Icon
I am not a Comcast employee, I am a paying customer just like you!
I am an XFINITY Forum Expert and I am here to help. For information on the program click here.
We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit from the conversation.
Community Icon
I am not a Comcast employee. I am a paying customer just like you!
I am an XFINITY Forum Expert and I am here to help.
We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit.
Community Icon
I am not a Comcast employee.

Was your question answered?
Mark an Answer!solution Icon

Xfinity Events:
WATCHATHON 2018... See More
Discussion stats
  • 3 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 2 in conversation