Find solutions, share knowledge, and get answers from customers and experts

New to the Community? Start here.

members

online now

discussions

Repeatedly billed for returned modem

Posted by
Regular Visitor
  • Thank you contributor for your first reply to the community!
 Posting replies is the best way to get involved.
  • Congratulations on receiving your first Kudos! Thank you for your meaningful contribution to the forum. May this be the first of many kudos.
  • Congrats on Posting your first topic!

Message 1 of 5

Like several others (e.g. http://forums.xfinity.com/t5/Billing/Wrongly-Charged-for-Modem-Rental/m-p/2936113/thread-id/100719) , I have been repeatedly billed, incorrectly, for a rental modem.  I returned the rental modem that came with my Self Install Kit last October 2016 (I have the xFinity return receipt) and have been using my own ever since.  Since then, my next 3 bills incorrectly included the rental charge which I resolved via two calls, 11/27 with Jessie and 12/28 with Judy, in customer service.  Then, on May 26th, 2017, I received the letter (from xFinity signed by "Amy Lynch, Regional Vice President, Washington") others reported said there was a "mistake" and I would start being charged for the modem rental as of my July billing statement.  I immediately instituted a "live chat", with Rommel, who reassured me this letter was sent in error and I would not be seeing any extra charge.  My July bill did include two $10 charges for modem rental though, so on 8/11, again via "live chat" (ref #043214814), I complained.  JoAllen took my modem serial numbers and my return receipt number, made some tweak that required me to restart my modem, and reassured me the rental charges would be removed by Aug. 15th.  I just received my August bill though and, it shows an outstanding $20 balance for the rental charges which weren't removed as well as another $10 modem rental charge for the current billing cycle.

This is RIDICULOUS!!  I am so frustrated with trying to get this resolved and having it keep popping up.  In fact, I feel fortunate that I never signed up for autopay on my bill since it's been wrong so many times.  

How do I get this resolved permanently so I no longer have to waste time contesting overbilling?

4 REPLIES
Posted by
Bronze Problem Solver

Message 2 of 5

It can be difficult.  Comcast has been sending me that letter for the past three years, most recently this month on the 7th.  This time, it may have been finally resolved due to escalation.  I was told that apparently the techs just reverse the charge without changing the equipment code.  It was stated that a separate department has to handle that.  Knowing Comcast, that's crazy enough to be true. I won't know for another year 

So, the moral of this missive is that this is probably what's happening to you.  Be sure to request, even insist, that the equipment code gets changed.

Posted by
Official Employee

Message 3 of 5

Hello ttrail. We apologize for any inconvenience and miscommunication. I can assist you with the modem charges on your account. Please send me a private message and include your full name, service address, and account number so I can assist you. 

Community Icon
I am an Official Comcast Employee.
Official Employees are from multiple teams within Comcast: Product, Support, Leadership.
We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit from the conversation.

Was your question answered? Mark it as an accepted solution!solution Icon
Community Icon
I am an Offical Comcast Employee.
Official Employees are from multiple teams within Comcast.
We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit.
Community Icon
I am a Comcast Employee.
Please post so people with similar questions may benefit.
Was your question answered?
Mark it as a solution!solution Icon
Highlighted
Posted by
Regular Visitor
  • Thank you contributor for your first reply to the community!
 Posting replies is the best way to get involved.
  • Congratulations on receiving your first Kudos! Thank you for your meaningful contribution to the forum. May this be the first of many kudos.
  • Congrats on Posting your first topic!

Message 4 of 5

It took over a month, but thanks to ComcastJoe's followup during which I provided a lot of receipt documentation, I've been told the mistake has been corrected and I will be credited for the resulting incorrect billings.

Apparently, the used modem I purchased via Ebay was originally a Comcast owned modem which I had no way of knowing.  Comcast's records identified this by the serial number and thus they automatically assumed they should bill me for it, even though it wasn't the one originally sent to me in my Starter Kit.  Even though I contacted Comcast about this twice this summer via Chat and they assured me things were fine, I was still incorrectly billed four $10 modem rental charges and a $9.50 late fee while I continued to contest this.  I have been told my account will be credited for these amounts, but I won't believe it until I see it on my next statement.  Meanwhile, I have to wonder about how a consumer is supposed to protect themselves from these types of situations -- I'm not sure the credit agencies won't count this as a missed payment.

Posted by
Official Employee

Message 5 of 5

Hello @ttrail. I see credits have been applied to your account for the four $10 modem charges. Since we do not re-issue bills, you will see these on your next billing statement. The late fee has also been credited. 

Please let me know if you have any further questions.

Community Icon
I am an Official Comcast Employee.
Official Employees are from multiple teams within Comcast: Product, Support, Leadership.
We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit from the conversation.

Community Icon
I am an Offical Comcast Employee.
Official Employees are from multiple teams within Comcast.
We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit.
Community Icon
I am a Comcast Employee.
Please post so people with similar questions may benefit.
Was your question answered?
Mark it as a solution!solution Icon