Welcome to Xfinity Help & Support Forums
Find solutions, share knowledge, and get answers from customers and experts

New to the Community? Start here.

members

topics

Private messaging not working

Regular Visitor

Private messaging not working

Subject line says it all. So I'm attemting to PM an Xfinity Administrator, and the PM selection keeps taking me to the search function. What's up with that? Gary

Problem Solver

Re: Private messaging not working

You're not allowed to. 

http://forums.xfinity.com/t5/My-Account-Sign-In-Xfinity-Website/Can-t-send-private-message/m-p/30453...

<<<< "Sometimes the best way to learn something is by doing it wrong and looking at what you did." - Neil Gaiman >>>>
Contributor

Exactly how are you initiating a Private Message?  Since you're a Regular Visitor and posting, it appears, you should be able to PM Xfinity/Comcast agents, as described in the links/forum postings referred to.

Joe V
(not a Comcast employee, just another paying customer)
Regular Visitor

Thanks for replying. I "figured" it out, and was able to PM an admin.

Service Expert

@guitarzan65 wrote:

Thanks for replying. I "figured" it out, and was able to PM an admin.

And....by doing so, you violated the Forum Guidelines.  You should never send an unrequested PM to anyone on the forum, including any Official Employees, unless they specifically ask you to do so.

Community Icon
I am not a Comcast employee, I am a paying customer just like you!
I am an XFINITY Forum Expert and I am here to help. For information on the program click here.
We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit from the conversation.
Was your question answered? Mark a Best Answer!solution Icon
Community Icon
I am not a Comcast employee. I am a paying customer just like you!
I am an XFINITY Forum Expert and I am here to help.
We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit.
Community Icon
I am not a Comcast employee.

Was your question answered?
Mark an Answer!solution Icon

Contributor

The Forum Guidelines pointed to refer to 'Threatening' or 'Trolling' Private Messages being against policy, but 'Please keep personal conversations in the Forums Private Messenger' indicating PM for conversations is apparently OK.  If Private Messaging is not approved then the option should be removed from our Profile display:

Joe V
PrivateMessaging.jpg
Service Expert

It's being updated to reflect that so that it is more clear.

However, it also says:

"Trolling behavior includes purposely......sending them rude or unwanted/unsolicited private messages..."

Community Icon
I am an XFINITY Forum Expert and I am here to help. For information on the program click here.
We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit from the conversation.
Community Icon
Community Icon

Contributor

Maybe a Comcast Employee will chime in here.  The Forums Policy and Guidelines EXPLICITY says "Please keep personal conversations in the Forums Private Messenger".  Anyone, including "employee, moderator, or administrator" 's can turn off/uncheck Private Messages in their Profiles Private Messenger settings.  This Private Messaging appears to be a beneficial feature as long as not abused.

Joe V
Profile PM.jpg
Service Expert

It can be beneficial, yes, however, too many people have abused Private Messaging.  This isn't a direct message forum.  Customers are encouraged to post in the open forums for the maximum benefit of help by other customers.  By sending an unrequested PM to an OE, a customer tries to jump ahead of the line, so to speak, and keeps the OE's from helping customers they have asked to PM them.  Sending an unrequested PM to an OE bogs the system down and customers are not being helped as efficiently as they could be.  It's not so much two customers PMimg each other, if they're both okay with it, as with a customer sending the unrequested PM to an OE or Expert.  This is primarily a customer-to-customer Help and Support forum with Official Employees helping out in cases of billing problems or helping with a new bundle, things that other customers are not able to help with.  But, imagine if you will, having just a handful of OE's attempting to help here, but being bogged down with several hundred unrequested PM's on a daily basis.  Very few people would actually be helped, and those that would be would have to "wait in line" for quite a long time for their PM to be answered.  The Guidelines are here for a reason. 

And, just in case anyone wonders, the same OE's that we have here also "work" within Twitter, Reddit, and Facebook, so they have a great deal of customers they have to help on a daily basis.

Community Icon
Community Icon
Community Icon

Special Events
FIFA World Cup 2018 on Xfinity See More
Discussion stats
  • 8 replies
  • 1 kudo
  • 4 in conversation