Find solutions, share knowledge, and get answers from customers and experts

New to the Community? Start here.

members

topics

Modem rental charge for equipment I own

Regular Visitor

Modem rental charge for equipment I own

Hi

I am being charged for modem rental that I own. I had called to remove it in past...probably couple of years back and was updated that the charge has been removed and refunded. 

As I pay auto pay, I never paid attention to bills. Then i noticed 3 weeks back that I am STILL BEING CHARGED FOR RENTAL FEES FOR MODEM I OWN. 

On Jan 08, 2018, I made a call to 1-800 #, I was told it will take them 2 days to resolve. I called back a week later on Jan 15, 2018, the rep told they were not able to verify my modem ownership. On Escalating it to manager, he says please go to local Xfinity office with your modem. 

On Jan 21, 2018 I go to local office to show them my modem, they have no clue...they further escalate. 

This is not acceptable that Comcast starts charging you for equipment you own. I need that money refunded for past 2 years. 

This modem was problably bought in 2012 based on manufacture date, comcast needs proof of purchase from me to refund me. INSTEAD, COMCAST SHOULD PROVIDE ME PROOF WHEN YOUR TECH INSTALLED THIS AT MY HOME OR WHEN YOU SHIPPED IT TO ME OR REFUND MY MONEY.  

This is just not accepted. Please help me resolve and get my refund. 

A frustrated customer who has been with comcast for past 8 years. 

Regular Contributor

Re: Modem rental charge for equipment I own

And they do it all the time.  And I know they know it.  Every time the audit department blinks they changer things on your bill.  The issue with being charged for your own equipment has been going on for years.  Thats why I only have a comcast cable card and no other equipment.

jess

Regular Visitor

Same problem here with a Comcast-compatible voice modem that I purchased in 2012.  At that time the Comcast-compatible voice modem could be purchased at Best Buy, but not off the retail shelf (all the modems on the shelf at that time lacked voice capability).  They were in a locked cage in the back room, and only a Comcast rep and onespecific Best Buy employee at that store had a key to the cage and were authorized to sell them.  

It has been an on-going battle.  Peridocially some type of audit detects that I am not paying a modem rental and they try to start charging for it.  It takes multiple calls to customer service to get it resolved.  Then months later they start trying to charge again. 

Regular Visitor

This is happening to me as well. I was forced into us triple play package so I bought my own modem. They have reinstated the modem charge twice and I have had to call to get it removed. This type of service is dispicable.

cinger0439
Official Employee

Hello, I would be happy to look into this for you from here. To protect the privacy of your account, please send me a private message verifying your first and last name, street address including city state and zip code, and the full account number or phone number associated with your services. To send a private message click on my name, then click private message me.

Community Icon
I am an Official Comcast Employee.
Official Employees are from multiple teams within Comcast: Product, Support, Leadership.
We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit from the conversation.
Was your question answered? Mark a Best Answer!solution Icon
Community Icon
I am an Offical Comcast Employee.
Official Employees are from multiple teams within Comcast.
We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit.
Was your question answered? Mark a Best Answer!solution Icon
Community Icon
I am a Comcast Employee.
Please post so people with similar questions may benefit.
Was your question answered?
Mark a Best Answer!solution Icon

Regular Visitor

I send you info as requested yesterday..plz help. 

Regular Visitor

Any update?

New Poster

This just started happening to me also. I've had my own modem for years and they started randomly charging me for equipment in October. I contacted them via chat and the person told me they would "create a ticket" to stop charging me. When I asked about the charges since October, they said, 

"I do understand where you are coming from, there may also be sometimes I tend to not check my bills and overlook some of the charges. Please know though as when the account was set up, a Subscriber Agreement was sent to you to make you aware that we only have 120 days to dispute the charges. With this, it waives any dispute that were not corrected afterwards. Comcast generates bills in advance for the purpose of making the customers aware of what they are being charged for and it would be best if we check it regularly as well and we would be more than glad to make any necessary corrections."

So they acknowledge these charges are bogus but they're hiding behind legalese saying they don't have to refund the money. I'm livid. 

Special Events
FIFA World Cup 2018 on Xfinity See More
Discussion stats
  • 7 replies
  • 8 kudos
  • 6 in conversation