Find solutions, share knowledge, and get answers from customers and experts

New to the Community? Start here.

members

topics

I feel duped. "contract" is different than "agreement"

ANSWERED
Regular Visitor

I feel duped. "contract" is different than "agreement"

Hoping to private message a Comcast representative who can help me.  This is my 4th year with Comcast.  I've always called in the autumn to lower my internet-only rate based on current promotions.  I always want lowest price option - I am not concerned with high bandwidth speeds.  My regular rate was bumped to $54.95 for a regular-priced high-speed plan back in fall 2017.  There was a promo for $49.95 at that time (October 2017) for the high speed plan, and for some reason it was cheaper to sign up for the high-speed plan rather than a lower-speed plan.  Apparently I am now in a 1-yr CONTRACT for that amount, vs. 1-yr AGREEMENTs that I'd been in for the past 3 years.  I called today to take advantage of a $29.99 promotion 1-yr AGREEMENT for 15mbps service.  I was told that I'd have to early-terminate my CONTRACT which amounts to paying the entire 12 month premium if I want to break the contract and switch to a lower-priced plan.  This is ludicrous.  I just want basic internet at a reasonable price.  I was talked into a high-speed plan under CONTRACT (who knew the word "Contract" was different than "Agreement"!!! - Agreements can be broken anytime to switch plans - contracts cannot!)   If I knew this was the case I would have stuck with the $54.99 regular non-contract price, waited till February for the promotion, and signed up.  I'd have only paid $15 more than my contract price for the past 3 months, but gained the flexibility to purchase the $29.99 price that is currently being offered.

Anyway - If someone from Comcast can contact me privately and help me lower my internet costs that would be great.  I am only interested in internet separately.  I already have TV but that is controlled by my condo association - ie., I do not want to BUNDLE anything - I do not want phone - I just want lower-cost internet - monthly, by Agreement, but no contracts.  I feel quite victimized here.... I've been switching to lower cost plans successfully for the past 3 years - apparently because I was signing up for lower priced "Agreements", and somehow got looped into a "Contract" back in the fall.  Please help. 

Accepted Solution

Re: I feel duped. "contract" is different than "agreement"

C-A-M, I've applied the promotion we discussed in modmail. Please let us know if you need further assistance. 

View answer in context
Service Expert

As long as you keep one service, you can upgrade or downgrade without any penalty of an early termination fee.

Community Icon
I am not a Comcast employee, I am a paying customer just like you!
I am an XFINITY Forum Expert and I am here to help. For information on the program click here.
We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit from the conversation.
Was your question answered? Mark a Best Answer!solution Icon
Community Icon
I am not a Comcast employee. I am a paying customer just like you!
I am an XFINITY Forum Expert and I am here to help.
We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit.
Community Icon
I am not a Comcast employee.

Was your question answered?
Mark an Answer!solution Icon

Regular Visitor

Thanks very much - this is not even close to what the Comcast rep told me on the phone this afternoon.  He said to switch internet plans I must first cancel my existing contract and pay full termination fee.  Possibly because I desire to switch from a CONTRACT to an AGREEMENT, not a Contract to a different Contract.  Hoping a Comcast Rep can respond here.  ??? 

Official Employee

Hi, C-A-M - My apologies for the miscommunication. As our Service Expert Again mentioned - you can downgrade/upgrade services at any time. Doesn't matter if you have an agreement or promotion. The Early Termination Fee applies only when you terminate ALL XFINITY services. I received your private message and will respond back in private with the details. 

Community Icon
I am an Official Comcast Employee.
Official Employees are from multiple teams within Comcast: Product, Support, Leadership.
We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit from the conversation.
Community Icon
I am an Offical Comcast Employee.
Official Employees are from multiple teams within Comcast.
Community Icon
I am a Comcast Employee.
Please post so people with similar questions may benefit.
Mark a Best Answer!solution Icon

Official Employee

C-A-M, I've applied the promotion we discussed in modmail. Please let us know if you need further assistance. 

Community Icon
I am an Official Comcast Employee.
Official Employees are from multiple teams within Comcast: Product, Support, Leadership.
Community Icon
I am an Offical Comcast Employee.
Official Employees are from multiple teams within Comcast.
Community Icon
I am a Comcast Employee.
Please post so people with similar questions may benefit.
Mark a Best Answer!solution Icon

Special Events
FIFA World Cup 2018 on Xfinity See More
Discussion stats
  • 4 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 4 in conversation